Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Last time I was in a jury pool it was for a drug-related murder case. I was dismissed because I told them I've been harassed by police who assume I'm doing sex work because I was both a) transgender and b) in public somewhere.

Which is unfortunately true but it makes me complete poison for prosecutors.

e: wow :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A lotta girlfriends in this thread vindictively sending their men to jail.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Canadian here. I got a letter for jury duty and was super stoked. I wanted to see our legal system at work and to see how close it was to Law &Order and hear a lawyer shout "objection" in person. Then I got a letter that the date for jury selection was changed. Then another letter saying it was changed again. 6 or so months later I went to the courthouse on the new date for jury selection and wondered around a bit trying to find the room mentioned in the letter. Finally someone looked at the letter and told me the case was no longer happening. I felt dejected. No amounts of shouted "objections" would console me. I was never called back for jury duty.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Congratulations, you got to see how the legal system works.

Whole lot of waiting around.

No, you can't eat or drink
Stop rustling that newspaper

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My wife got called for jury duty and they kept her for the whole week, to her not to come in two of the five days, let her leave after lunch on two other days, and sent a certificate of gratitude in the mail afterwards to thank her for doing her civic duty.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I find pretending to know the defendant works really well. "Hey, Bill, it's me! What, why are you acting like you don't know me?"

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I really want to get jury duty. I live 3 blocks away from the courthouse, and my job will pay me my full wage without using leave if I'm selected.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Got called for jury duty about 2 years ago for a high profile (for my area) murder case. There were about a hundred of us to start the day and over the whole day they whittled it down to about 20. They picked 15. Thankfully I was not one of them because after 2 days after the trial started the judge declared a mistrial because one of the defense's witnesses said something on the stand that they shouldn't have.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I've been summoned 3 times. First, I ended up on a grand jury which was pretty sweet but I was unemployed at the time so spending a couple months doing that was fine. 2nd time, I sat around in the waiting area all drat day bored out of my mind before I got called in with a group of people to a case about a guy driving drunk. Don't think he had killed anybody, but when the judge asked if we could be impartial over a drunk driving case, just about everybody said they couldn't so we all got dismissed and then we could go home. This 3rd time, I didn't even see the summons until 2 months after my date because I am exceedingly bad about looking at my physical mail. Just called and they let me reschedule for august but jokes on them, I will probably have moved before then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The funniest is when a public defender or former public defender gets called for jury duty.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Think I'm at 5 jury summons, never made it past Voir Dire. "I read the news daily and am interested in the legal process" has gotten me bounced twice. Last time there was some online system that told me to hold myself available for 7 days, then on day 1 said "never mind".

My public-facing internet is a healthy mix of cop-hating, leftist politics, crime, and macro pictures of bugs. Was wondering after last time if there is some "scrape the jury pool's social media" program at work that will keep me from participating forever now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The funniest is when a public defender or former public defender gets called for jury duty.

One of my jury pools for a DUI had this Brooks Brothers looking dork in the pool, called his number, and I think the prosecution stated rather than inquired "You are a lawyer". Potential juror said "Yes, but I work in corporate tax law". Defense and prosecution both "Get Out."

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2024

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
The one and only time I've been called to jury duty there was a bit where the prosecution had read us a little spiel and then said, "any questions?" Me and the one other guy who asked a question got immediately dismissed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think I've ever read someone's experience of jury selection without thinking that our system is populating juries with strange creatures I would never actually consider my peers

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I think the jury should be made up entirely of former presidents and B list reality TV hosts.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Would being sued for defamation dq me from serving in a jury?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I work at law firm and actually got sat for a crazy trial once, unfortunately it settled mid trial and I didn't get to render a verdict. I did get my like 20 bucks and a certificate for my service.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I never do jury duty because my boss just writes signs a boiler plate if it pleases the court, please excuse asproigerosis from jury as it creates an undue burden to the hospital and the critical task of health care for the people of the state thank you. Only time I served on a jury was right after graduation when I was unemployed and the case got thrown out by the judge for lack of evidence. Heroin dealer that would bring kids along, kids took the heat for ownership of the drugs and he'd pay the family thank you money while the kids did the couple years in juvenile then records expunged when they hit 18. Judge was pissed the state brought such a weak case on a well known dealer.

Caros
May 14, 2008

A small point of interest in today's contempt filings. Apparently the maximum fine for the type of criminal contempt trump has engaged in with breaking the gag order is $1000 or 30 days in jail.

He's almost certainly going to get fines this time but I'm actually curious what happens if/when he plays chicken. The judge can't ramp the fees, so the only meaningful punishment that can be imposed if he just decides to keep doing it is jail time.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Same jury questionnaire had one about if I had any moral or ethical reservations about sitting in judgement over other people, to which I think any non-sociopath would answer 'yes' to.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't think I've ever read someone's experience of jury selection without thinking that our system is populating juries with strange creatures I would never actually consider my peers

My dad is a retired personal injury lawyer and he said the ideal jurors lawyers look for are basically little old ladies who will uncritically believe whatever the last person told them as true.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It is April in an election year and the presumptive nominee for the Republican party is on day two of his criminal trial.

Somehow this just hit me and my brain has melted a little. Logically I knew it, but just imagining Mitt on trial while trying to campaign has short circuited something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

His first criminal trial!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Caros posted:

He's almost certainly going to get fines this time but I'm actually curious what happens if/when he plays chicken. The judge can't ramp the fees, so the only meaningful punishment that can be imposed if he just decides to keep doing it is jail time.

This isn’t about the size of the fines or the length of jail time.

The stakes of this case are every political commentator in the world being able to use the phrase “convicted felon” before Trump’s name. And acting out before a jury just makes conviction more likely.

The judge can respond to Trump by giving the jury instructions about how to contextualize Trump’s actions.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ulf posted:

This isn’t about the size of the fines or the length of jail time.

The stakes of this case are every political commentator in the world being able to use the phrase “convicted felon” before Trump’s name.

Oh no, the photo sequence as he is booked into jail and forced to wear jail clothes is very important.

gregday
May 23, 2003

It is really amazing that one of the two presidential candidates, who has a very real chance of winning, is only running so he can avoid prison and everyone knows it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

cr0y posted:

I think the jury should be made up entirely of former presidents and B list reality TV hosts.

This is a really good point. Has the Don team tried to assert that as an ex president, a jury of his peers MUST be composed of his fellow ex presidents? And since there aren't enough living ones to fill out a jury, the case must be dismissed?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Caros posted:

It is April in an election year and the presumptive nominee for the Republican party is on day two of his criminal trial.

Somehow this just hit me and my brain has melted a little. Logically I knew it, but just imagining Mitt on trial while trying to campaign has short circuited something.

I think you mean the guy who is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a witch hunt kangaroo court designed specifically to interfere with a free and fair election to put America greatest president back into power.

Now we just need someone to make a courtroom image of kangaroos holding witches on trial.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

SpelledBackwards posted:

I think you mean the guy who is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a witch hunt kangaroo court designed specifically to interfere with a free and fair election to put America greatest president back into power.

Now we just need someone to make a courtroom image of kangaroos holding witches on trial.

Let's not give Branco any ideas.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was called for jury duty several times but only one case went forward enough for selection. Defendant broke into a car, so I got to tell the court my story about my car getting broken into, then getting a dozen officers showing up reading my rights and photographing my hands after reporting my own radio stolen. I wasn't selected, which was just as well because I have misophonia while half of the idiots I was sequestered with smacked and popped gum the whole time and were all conservative "gently caress your feelings" types. I was seconds from screaming at them to please loving stop and breaking the door down before I was called in.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Only time I was called for jury duty was for a state I hadn't lived in for about ten years. I told them that over the phone, they were like "Uh disregard the summons then"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 17, 2024

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hearing everyone’s jury duty story is boring af tbh. Is it really on topic for the thread?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Looks like there is more information on the bond with Knight Insurance.

Basic gist is that the bond is collateralized by 175 million in cash in a trump account. There is a bit of legal argument on what it means to be able to post bond or not, but I imagine there is a lot I am not understanding on this.

I am curious, the 175 in cash would need to come from Trump himself, not his org because of the monitor in place, right?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
here are some snippets from potential jurors in the trial this thread is about : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f08fcd1d566742d

quote:

Trump’s attorney Todd Blanche has been asking potential jurors for their opinions of the former president. Here are some of their responses, per pool.

One potential juror said he found Trump “fascinating and mysterious”, adding:

"He walks into a room and he sets people off one way or another … I find that really interesting. Really, this one guy can do all of this. Wow, that’s what I think."

Another potential juror said he was “a big fan of the Apprentice when I was in middle school” and that there are “some things I agreed with, some things I disagreed with” with regards to Trump’s presidency.

One potential juror told Blanche that she isn’t really into politics but that “obviously I know about president Trump. I’m a female.” When asked what she meant by that, she replied:

"I know that there have been opinions on how he doesn’t treat females correctly. Stuff like that."

Another potential juror largely refused to share his views on the former president, insisting that his views don’t matter. He said:

"I’ll say I’m a Democrat so there you go. But I walk in there and he’s a defendant and that’s all he is."

big fan of the "fascinating and mysterious" guy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nervous posted:

This is a really good point. Has the Don team tried to assert that as an ex president, a jury of his peers MUST be composed of his fellow ex presidents? And since there aren't enough living ones to fill out a jury, the case must be dismissed?

I know you're joking but this has been litigated on other topics, most notably race, and it basically boils down to iirc "you can argue, if somewhat uphill, that the jury criteria were too narrow; you can't argue that they were too broad".

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Donkringel posted:

I am curious, the 175 in cash would need to come from Trump himself, not his org because of the monitor in place, right?

I thought those restrictions were waived specifically and only for the purpose of securing a bond.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

here are some snippets from potential jurors in the trial this thread is about : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f08fcd1d566742d

big fan of the "fascinating and mysterious" guy

He's gonna be New York's next Eric Adams

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780305203192856864

Lets hope something actually homes of this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In related news,

Pro-Trump network OAN and Smartmatic settle 2020 election defamation case

quote:

Voting technology company Smartmatic and the far-right network One America News said Tuesday that they had settled a defamation lawsuit stemming from the outlet’s lies about the 2020 election.

“The case has been resolved pursuant to a confidential agreement,” OAN attorney Chip Babcock told CNN.

Both parties declined to share details about the settlement.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

How are these jurors stupid enough to not have their Facebook accounts locked down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Zapp Brannigan posted:

How are these jurors stupid enough to not have their Facebook accounts locked down?

Eh, not that big of a deal, and in the grand scheme of things having his lawyers eject jurors serves to show he received adequate representation.