Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Judges virtually always convict because judges become extremely cynical due to the nature of the job and are thus extremely unlikely to believe anything a defendant says. The purpose of jury trials is not because anyone thinks jurors are smart, it's because twelve random people,screened for bias, are far more neutral than the judge would be.

Years ago I was told the chestnut that statistically one is better off with a jury if guilty, and with a judge if innocent. I wonder how well that aged post 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Besides, he's well aware that people hate him. He's invented entire conspiracy theories in which the sole reason he doesn't get what he wants is that so many people hate him and are secretly working against him. I doubt he's shedding too many tears over having to listen as the court spends a couple of days thoroughly screening jurors for any potential bias against him. At worst, he's probably just bored from having to sit in the courtroom and not say anything for so long.

Sure he's aware, but he has an incredibly thin skin baby and really loving hates people mocking him.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

They are currently picking out the people who are going to be tasked with deciding whether Trump gets away with poo poo or not. I suspect Trump very much wants any anti-Trump views they hold to be found now!

Besides, he's well aware that people hate him. He's invented entire conspiracy theories in which the sole reason he doesn't get what he wants is that so many people hate him and are secretly working against him. I doubt he's shedding too many tears over having to listen as the court spends a couple of days thoroughly screening jurors for any potential bias against him. At worst, he's probably just bored from having to sit in the courtroom and not say anything for so long.

Well. sure, but it's not revenge on the people who said bad things about him, so I'm not really sure what his persecution complex would have to do with it--that would be true of any criminal defendant.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

If Trump actually does have 175 million in cash why doesn't he post that himself instead of arranging a bond for the same amount

You see how Trump argues every dumb convoluted argument he can latch onto? You see all the reporting about how many weird little discrepancies are in his bond contract and the paperwork he’s given to the court?

This kind of contractual shenanigans is what he’s done his whole life with other companies just maximum chaos so that you can’t get a grip on him.

If the state accepts this nonsense bond they won’t ever be able to collect.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Oh poo poo. Go to a store and call it a "bodega" and instantly get a landslide of minority support.

DEMOCRATS HATE THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Besides, he's well aware that people hate him. . . . At worst, he's probably just bored from having to sit in the courtroom and not say anything for so long.

dr_rat posted:

Sure he's aware, but he has an incredibly thin skin baby and really loving hates people mocking him.

Exactly, he's a clinical narcissist. This poo poo has to be driving hot nails into his feet and scalp. I'll be amazed if he gets through all of jury selection without having an in-courtroom meltdown.

Guest2553 posted:

Years ago I was told the chestnut that statistically one is better off with a jury if guilty, and with a judge if innocent. I wonder how well that aged post 9/11

I never threw an innocent client to a judge if I could help it. Again, the judge is the second-least-likely person in the room to believe your client's stories of innocence, after the prosecutor (and if the prosecutor believed you, the charges would have been dropped).

When I had a genuinely innocent client my strategy was usually to try to talk to the prosecutor first, then to see if I could get the case thrown out somehow, then see if my client was eligible for diversion programs (innocent clients were generally first time offenders so usually these were an option; arguably an innocent client shouldn't have to jump through the hoops of diversion but it's far safer a path out of the courthouse than a trial).

I never had a client I genuinely believed to be innocent go all the way to trial though (I did have a few accept plea offers). If I had, I definitely would've preferred a jury over any of the judges I saw regularly. Again, the judges are (mostly) former prosecutors and are all predisposed to convict, because they've convicted hundreds before and have heard thousands of lies before and have no particular reason to believe your client.

To a judge your client is just one item on Tuesday's docket. To a jury, your client is a human being who they will probably remember the rest of their lives (as serving on a jury is a fairly singular experience for most people).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Exactly, he's a clinical narcissist. This poo poo has to be driving hot nails into his feet and scalp. I'll be amazed if he gets through all of jury selection without having an in-courtroom meltdown.

I doubt his scalp can feel much of anything these days.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Would a juror also be excused if they posted something about how great Trump is?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crows Turn Off posted:

Would a juror also be excused if they posted something about how great Trump is?

In theory yes but I think everyone in NYC hates Trump.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Crows Turn Off posted:

If the prosecution wanted to kick them out for that, absolutely. (And they should.)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

They did dismiss this guy, apparently:

quote:

One prospective juror was excused after saying having grown up in Texas and his current work in the accounting profession might impinge on his fairness. He noted that many of his family and friends in Texas are Republicans.

“I believe I have some unconscious bias,” the prospective juror told Merchan.

The judge then asked if that meant he couldn’t be fair.

“I don’t know,” the prospective juror said. “Not sure.”

Merchan briefly consulted with lawyers for both sides and then excused the prospective juror.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/live-blog/-trump-hush-money-trial-day-2-live-updates-rcna145935/rcrd39048?canonicalCard=true

Granted, most of the dismissed seem to have been because of indications of bias in the other direction.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I mean wasn’t half the reason he ran for president because Obama made fun of him at a dinner once

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Your Honor, I believe I should sit on this jury because eat poo poo chud fucks

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Tayter Swift posted:

I mean wasn’t half the reason he ran for president because Obama made fun of him at a dinner once

Supposedly? But he had been talking about it for decades and I think almost campaigned at an earlier point in time well before Obama was even on the map

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tenkaris posted:

Supposedly? But he had been talking about it for decades and I think almost campaigned at an earlier point in time well before Obama was even on the map

Though he's lied endlessly about it and tried to pretend it never happened, he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Reform Party's 2004 ticket.

But I tend to agree with Tayter on this one; being successfully mocked by a black man who was unforgivably more successful and popular than him had to have been a big part of his decision to run in 2016.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Though he's lied endlessly about it and tried to pretend it never happened, he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Reform Party's 2004 ticket.

But I tend to agree with Tayter on this one; being successfully mocked by a black man who was unforgivably more successful and popular than him had to have been a big part of his decision to run in 2016.

I mean, sure, but he also had Russian handlers whispering in his ear

E: as much of a narcissist as Trump is, Trump is by no means the person responsible for the Trump presidency being a thing. He's a dumb, stupid, manipulated pawn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Uglycat posted:

I mean, sure, but he also had Russian handlers whispering in his ear

E: as much of a narcissist as Trump is, Trump is by no means the person responsible for the Trump presidency being a thing. He's a dumb, stupid, manipulated pawn.

You don't need a shadowy cabal to convince Donald J Trump to make a self centered and idiotic move. It was a dumb movie motivated by both spite and grift. At every point he planned to fail, using the whole thing to up his value as a reality TV host while also sticking it to Obama. However he accidentally tapped into the hate magic and was miserably forced to be President instead of cashing in a new hate media grift.

He isn't a puppet of anything but his own narcissistic ego, savvy foreign actors just feed it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The mockery might have done it but part of me always figured it was just the part where Barack told him he would not ever be President. That's a pretty cocky and confident statement for anyone to make knowing what we do now, but I would have said the same thing to him any day of the week back then.

I don't think he had any idea he could actually do it at the time but boy howdy I think he wanted to prove Obama wrong and it just so happens the white racist Republican crowd was looking for someone to break decorum like he did, and now we have a loving cult around him.

Nobody saw any of it coming, but man I would like to know what Donald thought that night (other than a barrage of slurs for African Americans)

I definitely didn't know how reality tv-brained the entire nation was. I thought we all knew how fake TV was. Surely that clown from The Apprentice would never be taken seriously as a presidential candidate... right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills -me in 2016

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 17, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

That's mostly just a joke people tell about Trump. The fact is that there's plenty of reasons why a notoriously greedy narcissist might want to be president of the United States, a position which is incredibly prominent and powerful.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If Trump actually does have 175 million in cash why doesn't he post that himself instead of arranging a bond for the same amount

:hmmyes:

A little bit of digging will find, I think, that this is not a real sum of money.

If TRump or the Org could raise that much cash, they'd pay the bond. There is no reason not to.

This is more of the same "See that dude over there, in the parking lot, waving that big briefcase? Yes, that's really all the money! Pinkie swear!" bullshit that Knight pulled in their filing.

It's going to be a wild hearing and I'll be there, on vacation on the beach, to see it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Caros posted:

I was so mad that I had to front a bunch of my spouse's schooling the same week that stock released, due to issues with her loan. Easiest cash on the face of God's green earth buying the pump and shorting the dump.

In other news they have six jurors picked. The foreperson apparently gets his media diet from nyt, daily mail and sometimes fox and MSNBC.

You know, a totally reasonable and not at all sketch media diet.

Getting your news from the Daily Mail should disqualify you from any kind of position other than pensioner.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Maybe the money was in a form or from a source the court wouldn't accept for some reason so it has to be laundered through an intermediary

Caros
May 14, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Getting your news from the Daily Mail should disqualify you from any kind of position other than pensioner.

In his defense it could be worse. When I posted that I initially thought it was the daily caller (I always mix the two up) and was a lot more horrified.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly I'm far more surprised that a person exists who can watch FOX, say "this is good", and then flip on over to MSNBC and say, "Equally good".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

Honestly I'm far more surprised that a person exists who can watch FOX, say "this is good", and then flip on over to MSNBC and say, "Equally good".

I assume they were lying, but yeah there are people who really do just uncritically watch stuff and take in very little of it anyway. News is just news right?

Although usually, this sort of people would just stick to watching what ever news had the presenter with the voice they liked the most or whatever, if anything.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Doctor Yiff posted:

Last time I was in a jury pool it was for a drug-related murder case. I was dismissed because I told them I've been harassed by police who assume I'm doing sex work because I was both a) transgender and b) in public somewhere.
poison for prosecutors.

The last two times I was in jury duty they asked me if I had any relations in law enforcement; yes, two of my uncles were county sheriffs and a number of my in-laws worked in the prison system (in high ranking positions). I was dismissed immediately.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Main Paineframe posted:

That's mostly just a joke people tell about Trump. The fact is that there's plenty of reasons why a notoriously greedy narcissist might want to be president of the United States, a position which is incredibly prominent and powerful.

That's very true, but we should recognize that Obama was on fire that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGpLg0b3DE

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

You don't need a shadowy cabal to convince Donald J Trump to make a self centered and idiotic move. It was a dumb movie motivated by both spite and grift. At every point he planned to fail, using the whole thing to up his value as a reality TV host while also sticking it to Obama. However he accidentally tapped into the hate magic and was miserably forced to be President instead of cashing in a new hate media grift.

He isn't a puppet of anything but his own narcissistic ego, savvy foreign actors just feed it.

What people forget is that at the time, he had just lost The Apprentice, who were going to have Arnold host the program. Not having attention and having his toy taken away from him is something he couldn't stand, so it made sense that he would get the attention all back on him by finally running for President. He'd get on TV, say some stuff to get attention, and then when it was actually time for votes to be cast he'd find an excuse to get away scott free and ready to scheme again.

Instead he tapped into the white-hot zeitgeist of a base that was enraged over a black man being President and therefore better than them. The rank and file were no longer predisposed to listen to the usual boiler plate speeches of the civil adults who were usually trotted out to run, and they weren't particularly inclined to line up and vote for a third Bush to claim the White House. Trump said out loud what they were thinking and no one with decorum was willing to say, so they latched on with all their might to a cult of personality more than willing to bask in their adoration. Everyone from Jeb! to Cruz to Kasich and Rubio misjudged Trump as a side show until said side show took center stage. Once Hillary, the Republican Enemy Number #1 for the past quarter-decade, finally got her turn, it was too late to stop what Trump had become.

A publicity stunt for a man who lost his TV show turned into the hellstorm we live through today. if only we had let that loving gorilla live.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

for what it's worth, the cash account is (supposedly) property of Trump's trust, which is indeed separate from Trump Org assets. That said, there's a lot about this that seems real sloppy - the only evidence of that cash is a print screen of an account summary page on Schwab.com, purporting to show the total balance of some Schwab brokerage account (there's no markings that indicate the account's owner, or even the full account number for that brokerage account) as of some point on 4/10/24... and that's it, there's no formal account statement. Which is not necessarily sinister, I'm an accountant not a lawyer so maybe the courts are okay with this stuff, but it seems pretty lazy in terms of proving what they're claiming.

And for what it's worth, the size and nature of the account balance suggest that investments were sold and cash moved around in order to get to that exact balance in this account, because rich folks don't usually keep that amount of wealth in plain old cash instead of some kind of investment that makes at least a little more interest. Which, again, that's not necessarily sinister, there could be good explanations for that... but since the whole reason this court case happened was because the defendant lies about his finances, it seems like the standards for documentation and due diligence should be higher than usual, not less.

some folks also noted more drafting errors in these documents, including the fact that the collateral agreement references the wrong company on the signature page - the page where Don Jr actually signs the agreement (on behalf of the trust) references "Federal Insurance Company", not Knight Specialty Insurance Company. (FIC is the Chubb subsidiary that did the E Jean Carroll bond.) And once again, perhaps that's not necessarily sinister - maybe they just reused the same contract language as the Carroll bond and forgot to ctrl-F that page and then forgot to proofread everything! - but, boy that's a lot of sloppy and potentially significant errors on behalf of a guy whose only here because of fraud!

I've seen some people commenting that the collateral agreements are themselves written weirdly, and may allow for certain periods of time where money could be pulled out of that account. I'm not qualified to interpret all of that contract language, but it does seem weird to me that Knight wouldn't simply take possession of that amount of cash, rather than leave it in Trump's hands under some agreements that may or may not be reliable. I suspect there's probably a lot of weird inconsistencies and omissions in here that one could find with time - personally, I'm curious as to when all of these agreements were executed, particularly the "pledged asset account control agreement" that has a signature page from a Charles Schwab rep, but there's no date or identifying info to prove that it's an attachment to the previous pages, and it appears to be the only page in here that was electronically signed rather than manually signed, and then pieced back together with the other pages. Just a whole lot of stuff that seems very sloppy even if you give them the benefit of the doubt, and this is the last person who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

No, not according to the brokerage statement website screenshot I linked above, which lists it all as "cash and cash equivalents", and appears to have been taken on April 10th. From what I've read, DJT stock is not eligible to be pledged in this way, per the same lockup agreement that prevents him from selling.

I thought the Schwabb account was backing the Jean E. Carrol bond? Has he pledged the same amount of money to cover two different fines?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think back to the tweet about how Paul Manafort could have enjoyed a life of doing his infinite crimes and all he had to do was not win a presidential election.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought the Schwabb account was backing the Jean E. Carrol bond? Has he pledged the same amount of money to cover two different fines?

Chubb was backing the Carroll bond.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jean-carroll-defamation-case-new-york-sexual-assault-bond-payment-1878018

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Correct answer to the wrong question. Chubb’s collateral for the Carroll bond was reportedly Trump’s Schwab brokerage account. I doubt this is the same account, nobody would consider an already pledged account realisable collateral, but who tf knows with all the stupid poo poo that’s been going on with this one.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Correct answer to the wrong question. Chubb’s collateral for the Carroll bond was reportedly Trump’s Schwab brokerage account. I doubt this is the same account, nobody would consider an already pledged account realisable collateral, but who tf knows with all the stupid poo poo that’s been going on with this one.

You're still thinking like someone who is not always conducting fraud.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I didn't know this but....

quote:

I Forgot To Remember To Forget: It took only until the end of the second day for Trump to remind everyone why he's a nightmare client. As is his custom, once court was dismissed for the day, he held an impromptu press conference where he railed against anything and everything. And during that, he decreed: "I was paying a lawyer and marked it down as a legal expense. Some accountant, I didn't know, marked it down as a legal expense. That's exactly what it was... So check it out. It's called legal expense." The general consensus is that the toughest part of Bragg's case (and we wrote about this last week) is proving that Trump knew the expense had been improperly recorded. Well, he effectively just admitted that element of the case. More than one legal analyst suggested yesterday that footage of the Trump press conference could end up being played for the jury.

https://electoral-vote.com/#item-1

:bravo:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

You're still thinking like someone who is not always conducting fraud.

the account numbers are listed somewhere, they're different accounts

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Accipiter posted:

Oh poo poo. Go to a store and call it a "bodega" and instantly get a landslide of minority support.

DEMOCRATS HATE THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK

Apparently the bodega owner was charged by the same DA with a crime for fighting back during an alleged robbery attempt or at least that was the framing. He didn't pick that store at random.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I know that company put up the bond. But I thought they did it because they will get Trump's Schwab account if helses.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jesus, I feel like anyone could be a successful prosecutor against Trump.

Prosecutor: "You are alleged to have done this very serious crime that could result in sever punishment. Also, you did it in a very stupid way."

Trump, during a press conference just after court: "What I did wasn't stupid. It was the best version of that crime. It was perfect. Criminals would wish they could do that crime like I did."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

eke out posted:

the account numbers are listed somewhere, they're different accounts

I'd want to see the two accounts at the same time to ensure he wasn't moving money from one account to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I want to get ahead of something before it's too late.

I know Dozy Don and Don Snore-leone are out there, and one of them is actually pretty good, but we really can't forget to call him "Mussosleepy".