Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FMguru posted:

His liver is failing, LMAO.
My grandmother turned yellow before she died from liver failure 48 hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It'd be convenient but it's probably just differences in the color temperature of the lights, or the difference between real life images and the color grading of cameras, etc.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Or she is just calling him a coward.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FMguru posted:

His liver is failing, LMAO.

Which would be impressive for a man who famously doesn't drink because he's terrified he'd die like his big brother.

Might be hepatitis though, inshallah.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

"Now, for.the safety of the jury, we can't disclose the identity of juror 12, born May 27th, 1993, as that could open them up to intimidation. Juror 12, who lives at 324 14th St, unit 32 A, expressed some concern over how much information the media was releasing. Juror 12, who goes to Stella's Diner on the corner of Grove and Forest every morning for a cup of coffee at 6:25 before going to their place of employment at Hank's Hardware, said that the amount of personal information we were releasing to the public was downright frightening."

Just imagine that in a British accent for the fully Monty Python experience.

"We contacted juror 12's father, Mr. Kryzwalski, who said his daughter expressed concern for her safety as juror 12. 'Isabella is obviously quite distraught about the whole situation."

Anyway, here's juror 12's social security card, credit score, bank statements, and door keycode."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
This is some serious Lisa S./L. Simpson level of anonymity. That's a Simpsons reference btw.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Madkal posted:

This is some serious Lisa S./L. Simpson level of anonymity. That's a Simpsons reference btw.

Hear me out :

All the jurors have to wear a full burqa the whole trial.

It'll help keep them anonymous and drive the right wing absolutely insane.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1780970065552113792

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hear me out :

All the jurors have to wear a full burqa the whole trial.

It'll help keep them anonymous and drive the right wing absolutely insane.

The right wing have all been screaming about how unfair this is to be doing heading into Passover Week, so I'm amazed so few of them have latched onto how this started the first week after Ramadan.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just put a publication ban on the jurors.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Just put a publication ban on the jurors.

They don't want another delay while that's appealed to SCOTUS and then found unconstitutional.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fart Amplifier posted:

They don't want another delay while that's appealed to SCOTUS and then found unconstitutional.

Well the alternative is the trial going to poo poo when Anger Mango whips his MAGA freaks into a frenzy then someone stochastic terrorisms their way through a juror's family and on in to body bags.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Well the alternative is the trial going to poo poo when Anger Mango whips his MAGA freaks into a frenzy then someone stochastic terrorisms their way through a juror's family and on in to body bags.

Ok but then the trial just goes to poo poo anyway, in like a year instead of now.

There is a first amendment and a public right to voire dire. The jurors are going to be identified and then later threatened by other people. The people doing the identifying will probably not be punished. This may prevent a conviction. The USA isn't the sort of country where you can expect a guy like Trump to be treated like other people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can’t the judge unilaterally remove the media from sensitive proceedings? “All the jurors are now at risk of harassment/assassination” feels like it would qualify

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

haveblue posted:

Can’t the judge unilaterally remove the media from sensitive proceedings? “All the jurors are now at risk of harassment/assassination” feels like it would qualify

You can't close jury selection to the public. That's the thing that Eileen Canon got smacked down on appeal for, as clear error.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

Voire dire is public and the press can report what they see and hear.

The judge can sidebar jurors for questioning if he wants to protect their privacy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Then how does sequestering the jury work

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Then how does sequestering the jury work

Jury deliberations are secret and you can limit the information juries can receive

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Which would be impressive for a man who famously doesn't drink because he's terrified he'd die like his big brother.

Might be hepatitis though, inshallah.

Trump's diet is like a recipe for NASH.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

He's preparing to enter Springfield.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1781009853516857772

Why would the judge allow this???

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hey man, we just don't know if it's OK for a former President to brandish a firearm in the courtroom, it's not in the Constitution and it's never come up before, so best to play it safe an just let him do it until SCOTUS rules on it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hey now, it is a well understood legal principle that we don't lead with jail time for contempt of Court merely for shooting opposing counsel. He should be given at least a few oppertunities to change his behavior and at most a small fine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Because Trump knew that one of the people in the Court Room is The Thing from the 1982 film and is shooting at the creature.

Alas, you can see it is the person behind Trump to his right (our left) with the mouth splitting apart and not whomever Trump is plugging.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit- deleted. Thought it was a Federal Goverment sueing him,turns out to be A federal watchdog group so I don't think it's actual news.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2024

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Same energy:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
HAH!

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1781053195139080584

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's the Scoleri brothers!!!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge rejects Trump effort to pause Jan. 6 civil lawsuits while criminal case is ongoing

quote:

A federal judge has rejected an effort by former President Donald Trump to pause several civil lawsuits filed against him seeking to hold him accountable for his actions leading up to the Jan. 6 riot, according to a newly posted ruling.

Trump had asked D.C. District Judge Amit Mehta to stay proceedings in the lawsuits -- brought by several members of Congress and police officers who protected the Capitol on Jan. 6 -- while his federal criminal case brought by Special Counsel Jack Smith was ongoing.

Trump's attorneys reasoned that defending himself from the lawsuits could improperly impact his defense strategy in his criminal case, which Mehta rejected in his ruling Thursday afternoon.

Mehta wrote that while, "it is true in a sense—both cases center on the former President’s actions in the lead up to and on January 6, 2021... [Trump ] overstates the significance of that factual overlap in the present posture of these matters."

Trump's team also cited the Supreme Court's upcoming arguments regarding the former president's claims of immunity from prosecution in his criminal case, which they argue could impact how Mehta ultimately rules on Trump's immunity claims for what he believes are "official acts" outlined in the civil lawsuits.
MORE: Special counsel files brief urging Supreme Court to reject Trump's immunity claim

"...There is no reason to wait on the Supreme Court’s decision," Mehta responded. "This court is unlikely to make an immunity determination before the end of the Supreme Court’s term. Thus, if the Court’s ruling on criminal immunity is relevant to the outcome here, it can easily be applied."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/18/nyregion/trump-hush-money-trial/fe41577e-7d22-57b7-8f14-d236970fa55d?smid=url-share

quote:

We now have 12 jurors. Two more people have been seated.

“We have our jury,” says Justice Merchan.

Jury selection will continue so that alternates can be chosen. The judge had said he wanted as many as six alternates. The alternates will sub in for jurors if they fall ill or are otherwise unable to continue at some point during the six-week trial.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I saw someone say in a conversation that being on the Trump Trial would make them actually WANT to be on the Jury.

Two Thoughts: One), Are they nuts? Do they know that Trump.MAGA will give any and all jurors (and their families) a social media proctologist probe like you've never seen before. I mean, we have folks believing there was a sex smuggling ring below a pizza shop.. do you really think that even if there's nothing in your social media that's problematic, they wouldn't invent something? And that it wouldn't stop with just online stuff?

Two) (and more importantly), if you want to be on a jury for a trial, you're probably not impartial enough to be a fair juror.

And to the 18 men and women on the jury? My condolences.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Are you required to show your social media to the judge etc? Seems like an invasion of privacy, I think I'd refuse.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Small White Dragon posted:

Are you required to show your social media to the judge etc? Seems like an invasion of privacy, I think I'd refuse.

There are jury consultants, a cottage industry of researchers, that will comb your public facing social media and other publicly available info and provide it to attorneys for voir dire (jury selection). Its not an invasion of privacy if a tenacious googler can find it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1781065638196183277?t=QkfM9i2ThcAsx6zjUC6IHQ&s=19

Merchan is sassy and I like it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Something posted on a public forum for all the world to see does not have an expectation of privacy.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Something posted on a public forum for all the world to see does not have an expectation of privacy.
What if they made us show our SA post history....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

What if they made us show our SA post history....

Nobody on this forum will ever be a public figure. And perhaps that is for the best.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Deteriorata posted:

Sure, although most of my social accounts are set to private/friends only. I don't know how common that is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mdemone posted:

Nobody on this forum will ever be a public figure. And perhaps that is for the best.

A few already have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

mdemone posted:

:10bux: :10bux: to buy an account and archives would be an absolute bargain for destroying someone's political cereer.