Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

A part of me is actually legitimately concerned if he's trying to do this on purpose to further rally his base and trying to pull a Hitler.

I am unclear on what the other part of you thinks is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lammasu posted:

Trump can't write a book by himself. He needs a ghost writer, and he can't get one right now.

He'll pay after the sales figures are out.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's being charged with violating a gag order which is similar to but not necessarily the same thing as contempt.

That said his statements to the media from the courthouse probably could qualify as contempt. Judges have shocking latitude on contempt charges. They can sentence summarily with no trial if it happens in front of them and "in front of" can mean "around the courthouse".

Contempt is whatever the judge says it is.

I was replying to someone who was specifically talking about contempt specifically, which is why I was responding about contempt.

And while they have a lot of latitude about contempt charges, they seem pretty loathe in general to apply them unless the person is making a serious in-person scene (or, for example, refused to show up in court when it was required of them to).

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

skeleton warrior posted:

I am unclear on what the other part of you thinks is going on.

He could just be a narcissist whose only way to process people being mean to him is to yell about it online for sympathy. Not everything has to be a chess move.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

A part of me is actually legitimately concerned if he's trying to do this on purpose to further rally his base and trying to pull a Hitler.

I dunno that would require him to be personally inconvenienced to such an extent I couldn't see him doing it for any amount of power, maybe his handlers are setting it up though.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The Bible posted:

Just a reminder that I Toxxed awhile back that Trump won't set foot in a prison, including house arrest.

He violated the poo poo out of that gag order and won't see a day of confinement over it. :toxx:

As with all of this, the gag order is just theater to make people think the legal system might actually do something about Trump's crimes. It won't be enforced.

A bold toxx but... not really any sense of misplaced confidence on this one

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kavros posted:

A bold toxx but... not really any sense of misplaced confidence on this one

I tried to believe this thread's confidence in the legal system was justified, I really did, but this is all just too much.

poo poo just piles up, but absolutely nothing actually happens, no matter how poorly Trump conducts himself in court. The judge just gives him the stink eye, a fine that he may or may not pay, and nothing ever loving happens.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Bible posted:

I tried to believe this thread's confidence in the legal system was justified, I really did, but this is all just too much.

poo poo just piles up, but absolutely nothing actually happens, no matter how poorly Trump conducts himself in court. The judge just gives him the stink eye, a fine that he may or may not pay, and nothing ever loving happens.

My favorite part is when people are all "stop being doomers" when there's literally no precedent whatsoever to believe there's going to be a consequence. We must all believe that yes, surely THIS time is the one time he'll face a meaningful consequence.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Trump's team has already done the math. With all the appeals, they can easily run out the clock on November, and then none of this matters.

If Trump wins he becomes a lawless deity. If he loses, he loses everything.

The election will determine his fate, not the courts

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Trump's team has already done the math. With all the appeals, they can easily run out the clock on November, and then none of this matters.

If Trump wins he becomes a lawless deity. If he loses, he loses everything.

The election will determine his fate, not the courts

If he is found guilty by the jury he is going to prison you don’t get to stay a criminal trial verdict and wait to go to jail. You can appeal from jail. That being said he isn’t going to jail before a guilty verdict that way a judge can cowardly say they didn’t make the decision it was the jury because apparently every judge in the country is terrified of actually making him accountable from the bench.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My favorite part is when people are all "stop being doomers" when there's literally no precedent whatsoever to believe there's going to be a consequence. We must all believe that yes, surely THIS time is the one time he'll face a meaningful consequence.

Fine, you can keep those sorts of opinions to yourself since they contribute nothing whatever to the discussion. It's just white noise.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Vire posted:

If he is found guilty by the jury he is going to prison you don’t get to stay a criminal trial verdict and wait to go to jail. You can appeal from jail. That being said he isn’t going to jail before a guilty verdict that way a judge can cowardly say they didn’t make the decision it was the jury because apparently every judge in the country is terrified of actually making him accountable from the bench.

Uhhh what?

Elizabeth holmes was convicted in January of 2022 and didn't step foot into jail until may of the following year after several appeals. Navarro was convicted in Sept of last year and didn't see jail until March.

If you are rich (or have fame) you absolutely get to stay out of prison for ages while the system grinds through appeals. If you think trump is going to see the inside of a NYS prison this year, even if convicted and sentenced to jail time in the next month or two, I have a bridge that got hit by a boat to sell you.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

blastron posted:

He could just be a narcissist whose only way to process people being mean to him is to yell about it online for sympathy. Not everything has to be a chess move.

He’s called for violence before. He suggested that if Clinton won, maybe some “second amendment solutions” would be needed. He’s called on his audience to beat people up for protesting. He calls for violence because he thinks it will help him, it’s a thing he does, not a chess move.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

He’s called for violence before. He suggested that if Clinton won, maybe some “second amendment solutions” would be needed. He’s called on his audience to beat people up for protesting. He calls for violence because he thinks it will help him, it’s a thing he does, not a chess move.

I believe that specific phrasing was from Sarah Palin (not that Trump hasn't begged his followers to kill his enemies in a thousand different ways).

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I believe that specific phrasing was from Sarah Palin (not that Trump hasn't begged his followers to kill his enemies in a thousand different ways).

I misremembered the exact phrase, it was “second amendment people” who could stop Clinton’s Supreme Court.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/trump-2nd-amendment-folks-stop-clintons-supreme-court/story?id=41239648

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kchama posted:

Because he legitimately hasn't hit the level for 'contempt' yet. It's a shockingly high bar to clear for any decent judge. And unfortunately they're not allowed to use your actions in other cases to start with higher penalties. And the reason why the highest fine is 1000 is so a judge can't ruin a poor defendant so easily. If you could fine someone millions for being a dick in court, that would absolutely be used to annihilate a poor person who pissed off a bad judge. And you can't just scale it to their wealth because the bad judge would find way to abuse that.

I assume that some judges being pieces of poo poo about that sort of thing is why it is the way it is. Regulations get written in blood and such.

This is a solved problem. In Finland, most fines are calculated as "päiväsakko", roughly translated to "day fine". The idea is that instead of slapping a euro denominated sum, it's sentenced in days.

It's basically a multiplier for your income, and is meant to make it so that the fines would hurt a poor and rich person about the same.

You can fiddle with it here if you are curious: https://poliisi.fi/sakkolaskuri

For the sake of simplicity, if we want to fine to be 1000 dollars for the median American (making 52k a year, so like 4300 per month), they would be fined 15 päiväsakkos. If we presume Donald makes a mil per month (the calculator for the finnish police doesn't go higher, lmao) Donald would have to pay 250k.

The system isnt ideal but it offers at least some scaling

Edit:

For more reference, someone making minimum wage would get a fine of 240 dollars in this system.

EDIT2:

I went and found some info from here: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/21/trump-income-tax-returns-detailed-in-new-report-.html

Now just because the po po's calculator caps out at 1 million doesn't mean that the law does. I went and calculated manually that if we presume Donald has an income of 23 million, he'd be fined about 480k in this scenario. This system eliminates the concern of rogue justices, but holds the rich accountable.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 24, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Keisari posted:

This is a solved problem. In Finland, most fines are calculated as "päiväsakko", roughly translated to "day fine". The idea is that instead of slapping a euro denominated sum, it's sentenced in days.

It's basically a multiplier for your income, and is meant to make it so that the fines would hurt a poor and rich person about the same.

For the sake of simplicity, if we want to fine to be 1000 dollars for the median American (making 52k a year, so like 4300 per month), they would be fined 15 päiväsakkos. If we presume Donald makes a mil per month (the calculator for the finnish police doesn't go higher, lmao) Donald would have to pay 250k.

Edit:

For more reference, someone making minimum wage would get a fine of 240 dollars in this system.

Weirdly, it seems like a system is already in place in New York. Fines and contempt jail-time is normally fixed at 1000 and 30 days, with a total maximum of 3 months period for jailtime. But that 1000 can be given infinitely, and increased based on the person's income if they violate uh... some subclause that I can't actually read without having to pay money or register an account. But that's the only time they can employ the sliding scale fines.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kchama posted:

Weirdly, it seems like a system is already in place in New York. Fines and contempt jail-time is normally fixed at 1000 and 30 days, with a total maximum of 3 months period for jailtime. But that 1000 can be given infinitely, and increased based on the person's income if they violate uh... some subclause that I can't actually read without having to pay money or register an account. But that's the only time they can employ the sliding scale fines.

That's interesting.

Also, lmao found an American article about it: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/5/reima-kuisla-finnish-millionaire-issued-60k-speedi/

They do whine of course.

EDIT: Right, so the "päiväsakko" or "day fine" is meant to simulate the lost income for spending a day in jail, so that it can be used instead of jailtime for minor infractions.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Isn't the issue with that system when you're at the level of like Trump etc that you don't really take a large salary but you get the access the benefits the money has by other means which means there's either no simple calculation that can be done and/or the fine relative to your "salary" is still tiny because your "salary" is only a tiny portion of the money you have access to.

And then if you wanted to work it out and it be legal and not challenged by the billionaires team of lawyers you all of sudden need a team of legal accountants etc which is more complications and delays etc.

Not saying the proportional system is bad It's certainly needed and works for the very wealthy (footballer wage types etc) but for the mega/ultra wealthy it might have issues.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

Isn't the issue with that system when you're at the level of like Trump etc that you don't really take a large salary but you get the access the benefits the money has by other means which means there's either no simple calculation that can be done and/or the fine relative to your "salary" is still tiny because your "salary" is only a tiny portion of the money you have access to.

And then if you wanted to work it out and it be legal and not challenged by the billionaires team of lawyers you all of sudden need a team of legal accountants etc which is more complications and delays etc.

Not saying the proportional system is bad It's certainly needed and works for the very wealthy (footballer wage types etc) but for the mega/ultra wealthy it might have issues.

Right, I do get the concern. You probably couldn’t just treat is as a ”plug and play” model for the US.

Here, the basis we use is taxable income, not salary. So all taxable income is counted, capital gains etc included. (But not inheritance, afaik.) If the taxmans says you made 12 mil, then you made 12 mil. However, if your income has dropped substantially you can appeal and have it moderated. So yes, there is some room for lawyer fuckery, but it’s better than a flat-sum based model or arbitrarily determined by a judge.

I would also contend that it’s not this system’s fault if the tax system is leaky as gently caress. It’s much harder to gently caress with your taxable income here, the taxmans has broad interpretative powers to call anything you do that is motivated purely to reduce your tax bill “tax evasion” and then proceed to calculate it in a different way, and possibly punish you with tax increases.

And yeah, you could for example, hide your income inside corporations and it would decrease your päiväsakkos if you go drunk driving. It's not perfect at all but if you need the money to live, you have to draw it out as taxable income one way or the other.

EDIT:

Example of the power of the tax authorities: Live in Finland and dont want to pay tax? Found a company in Estonia, but still work in Finland and enjoy the good Finnish pay with the small Estonian taxes! Whoops, tax authorities called your entire contraption tax evasion and will now tax your rear end like your company was based in Finland. You are now possibly hosed, depending if you committed tax fraud along the way. (I mean before the right wing shitheads inevitably clip the tax authorities' wings but that's a subject for Finnpol thread.)

Keisari fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 24, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kchama posted:

Can you find any references to the code or regulation? I may be able to track it down.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

An issue with the idea of making fines tied to Taxable Income is that Trump is pretty infamous for having a unique relationship with the Tax system.
He refuses to release any of his tax records, saying it's because of an ongoing audit (which has seemed to last 10+ years.)
And the records that people did get access to all seem to say "I declare whatever I need to say to get what I want. Is this the part where big money is good? I'll maximise that. Is this the part where I want the numbers to be low? I'll put in the minimum figure here."

One thing I'll say about all the "none of this matters. Trump is immune to consequences. "
If that was true, why has Trump spent so much time and money on this?

If the results were a foregone conclusion, why has Trump turned the RNC into a personal piggy bank to pay his legal bills?
If all the court cases were meaningless, why is he sensing in fleets of lawyers?

I view it that its not that they can't do anything, it's that Trump has to constantly and perfectly play defensive over and over again to stop him from hitting real consequences.

And like a certain man said "He has to get lucky every time. We only have to get lucky once."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Also, since this is a criminal trial in New York, Trump has to be personally present in the court every single day and just sit there listening to everyone else talking about him - and he can't do or say anything (in court) about it.

The current trial is expected to last roughly six weeks. That is six weeks where he can't really do anything. Reading comments by court reporters, he is already really miserable and the trial has just started. It will be interesting to see how he reacts and looks like in the coming days and weeks.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DTurtle posted:

Also, since this is a criminal trial in New York, Trump has to be personally present in the court every single day and just sit there listening to everyone else talking about him - and he can't do or say anything (in court) about it.

The current trial is expected to last roughly six weeks. That is six weeks where he can't really do anything. Reading comments by court reporters, he is already really miserable and the trial has just started. It will be interesting to see how he reacts and looks like in the coming days and weeks.

Okay, but what happens if he just doesn't show up?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
They will be very angry with him, and they will write him a letter telling him how angry they are.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Okay, but what happens if he just doesn't show up?
That's a crime in itself punishable by up to 4 years in jail.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Keisari posted:

Edit:

EDIT2:

I went and found some info from here: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/21/trump-income-tax-returns-detailed-in-new-report-.html

Now just because the po po's calculator caps out at 1 million doesn't mean that the law does. I went and calculated manually that if we presume Donald has an income of 23 million, he'd be fined about 480k in this scenario. This system eliminates the concern of rogue justices, but holds the rich accountable.
I remember learning about this in my criminal justice classes and was just floored that we don't do it in the US.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Fines being a method of paying to get away with things rather than an actual deterrent is endemic eg delivery companies just pay parking fines as the cost of doing business.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jarlywarly posted:

Fines being a method of paying to get away with things rather than an actual deterrent is endemic eg delivery companies just pay parking fines as the cost of doing business.

This is the answer. American laws are deliberately written such as to only deter the poor.

People have to realize that there's a legacy of Jim crow in all these low level American laws. Most of them, in practice, act as

1) a revenue stream / idiot tax against the lower and middle class

2) an avoidable hassle for the rich, who can hire lawyers to deal with even trivial charges for them

3) a way to lock up the destitute, who cannot pay, so they stop being destitute in public where everyone else can see them.

The intent of most low level offense laws is not to enforce equitable punishment.

This particular statute is a little different because there is an intent to give the judge real enforcement authority against anyone acting the fool in court. But typically if you see "$1000 or up to thirty days" type penalties it's for something like driving under suspension or driving without insurance or trespassing or minor speeding or possession of small amounts of marijuana or other similar truly minor offenses, and the point of the penalty is that most people get a wrist slap and pay the fine and then if you can't pay the fine you go into the county worthless people bin for thirty days so everyone else doesn't have to see you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Why is the trial taking a vacation today?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Merchan reserves Wednesday for general court business.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
He also said that there would not be any business that requires jurors on Passover days, but I don't know if he is still sticking to that since there weren't any orthodox picked for the jury.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He also said that there would not be any business that requires jurors on Passover days, but I don't know if he is still sticking to that since there weren't any orthodox picked for the jury.

Probably some court staff will be out. It's likely something they do as a standard practice just to be covered.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jewish lawyers? Now I've heard everything!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SpelledBackwards posted:

Jewish lawyers? Now I've heard everything!

We're here, We're queer not gentile, Get used to it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Reporting last week said Merchan also has responsibilities as the judge on a mental health court and its proceedings are on Wednesdays. It’s not a vacation day Merchan has a second job essentially and isn’t punting on those duties to rush for Mr. Trump’s sake.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yiggy posted:

Reporting last week said Merchan also has responsibilities as the judge on a mental health court and its proceedings are on Wednesdays. It’s not a vacation day Merchan has a second job essentially and isn’t punting on those duties to rush for Mr. Trump’s sake.

Can we still refer to it as a "mental health day" just for fun.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Were all the juror's religions actually reported?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yiggy posted:

Explains why he was assigned this defendant. Does Trump still have to show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Mon-Tues are court days.
Thur-Fri are reserved for resolving all the poo poo Trump posted on Truth on Wednesdays.