Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OgNar posted:

Mon-Tues are court days.
Thur-Fri are reserved for resolving all the poo poo Trump posted on Truth on Wednesdays.

Also- decontaminating Trump's seat and the surrounding blast radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why is the trial taking a vacation today?
the lord said he would passover any nussy with fresh blood above the top fold.
thousands of years later we still observe this sacred day.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Explains why he was assigned this defendant. Does Trump still have to show up

AFAIK no, he’s free to campaign.

Edit: oh duh. Joke. I like jokes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is the answer. American laws are deliberately written such as to only deter the poor.

People have to realize that there's a legacy of Jim crow in all these low level American laws. Most of them, in practice, act as

1) a revenue stream / idiot tax against the lower and middle class

2) an avoidable hassle for the rich, who can hire lawyers to deal with even trivial charges for them

3) a way to lock up the destitute, who cannot pay, so they stop being destitute in public where everyone else can see them.

The intent of most low level offense laws is not to enforce equitable punishment.

This particular statute is a little different because there is an intent to give the judge real enforcement authority against anyone acting the fool in court. But typically if you see "$1000 or up to thirty days" type penalties it's for something like driving under suspension or driving without insurance or trespassing or minor speeding or possession of small amounts of marijuana or other similar truly minor offenses, and the point of the penalty is that most people get a wrist slap and pay the fine and then if you can't pay the fine you go into the county worthless people bin for thirty days so everyone else doesn't have to see you.

Yep. If the punishment for an offense is a fine, it's only a crime for the poor. For the rich it's the cost of doing business.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you find any references to the code or regulation? I may be able to track it down.

I woke up and read it more closely and the sliding scale is apparently only for striking unions or the company that the strike is against if they don't do their negotiations in a good-faith, timely manner. Presumably to keep either side from using the 'public necessity' of their jobs as leverage in the negotiations.

Which is a weird, if rather New Yorkian, exception.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1783239090437063079

Maybe he is just out buying thermal underwear for the courtroom.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OgNar posted:

Pillow and court appropriate pyjamas.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He tried to campaign today but realised he'd have to climb uphill, me boys.

No I can't get that loving line out of my head.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Trump is just practicing self-care.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

The Bible posted:

I tried to believe this thread's confidence in the legal system was justified, I really did, but this is all just too much.

poo poo just piles up, but absolutely nothing actually happens, no matter how poorly Trump conducts himself in court. The judge just gives him the stink eye, a fine that he may or may not pay, and nothing ever loving happens.

part of me wants to say that you have made a fairly risky toxx bet. but it has to have been loving hilarious so far, because all i can really do is say WELL mister the bible, I'll have you know that today something ALMOST happened. It is the ALMOSTEST he has ever come to consequences, and furthermore,

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Isn't he already out about $270M from the Trump Org and Carroll bonds posted (which he likely isn't getting back) on top of lawyer fees?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

OgNar posted:

wednesday is always the best day on the course.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
i mean i cant help but feel the existing monetary penalties for trump are kind of abstract, outside of being a howling narcissistic injury (like literally every other light breeze or pushback in his life). like he'll lose more money than ill ever have multiple times a month but it doesn't really impact his ability to live in absolute luxury and surround himself with ego fluffer sycophants on the daily

i gotta go with the mental standard of not considering him having had Consequences! until he's wearing a jumpsuit in a cell with an open air toilet

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Isn't he already out about $270M from the Trump Org and Carroll bonds posted (which he likely isn't getting back) on top of lawyer fees?

Staluigi posted:

i mean i cant help but feel the existing monetary penalties for trump are kind of abstract, outside of being a howling narcissistic injury (like literally every other light breeze or pushback in his life). like he'll lose more money than ill ever have multiple times a month but it doesn't really impact his ability to live in absolute luxury and surround himself with ego fluffer sycophants on the daily

i gotta go with the mental standard of not considering him having had Consequences! until he's wearing a jumpsuit in a cell with an open air toilet

Consequences don't count unless they are very specific consequences, it seems.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Does Trump continually nodding off in court contribute at all to him being found in contempt, especially with a judge who has already had enough of his (and his lawyers') poo poo in other ways? (Bonus: He was quoted in The Bulwark as saying "I’m catching up on my loving sleep ’cause I’m bored.")

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kchama posted:

If I was getting fined, I wouldn't be happy about it, but he's paid a lot of fines before, and it doesn't seem to have changed his lifestyle. I think it's fair to assume rich people, especially a former and possibly future president who owns an enormous property portfolio, don't experience financial consequences the way you and I do.

I think wanting to see a really lovely, really rich man in jail is understandable because of how novel it would be, to see a really powerful person go to jail? Who's the last? There isn't one. We have never been able to meaningfully prosecute and jail anyone of his stature. We've never even tried. And I think it's fair to say a lot of people don't see us as a country covering ourselves in glory the first time we maybe inch up to the idea that everyone is subject to the law the way my poor rear end was when the cops smelled weed outside my house. It tastes sweet, just the thought of it, and maybe you should ponder a bit more on why that kind of specific consequence seems to matter so much to the little people.

selec fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

OgNar posted:

Maybe Donald took a break for Passover too.

I kid I kid.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Hirayuki posted:

Does Trump continually nodding off in court contribute at all to him being found in contempt, especially with a judge who has already had enough of his (and his lawyers') poo poo in other ways? (Bonus: He was quoted in The Bulwark as saying "I’m catching up on my loving sleep ’cause I’m bored.")
Any sane person should consider a sleeping Trump the optimum state when your have to be in his company. Ignore any usual rules of court decorum, let him sleep and prey to god he doesn't wake....

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Any sane person should consider a sleeping Trump the optimum state when your have to be in his company.

Sleep just means the poo poo comes out of his rear end instead of his mouth.

The net result is the same.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

selec posted:

If I was getting fined, I wouldn't be happy about it, but he's paid a lot of fines before, and it doesn't seem to have changed his lifestyle. I think it's fair to assume rich people, especially a former and possibly future president who owns an enormous property portfolio, don't experience financial consequences the way you and I do.

I think wanting to see a really lovely, really rich man in jail is understandable because of how novel it would be, to see a really powerful person go to jail? Who's the last? There isn't one. We have never been able to meaningfully prosecute and jail anyone of his stature. We've never even tried. And I think it's fair to say a lot of people don't see us as a country covering ourselves in glory the first time we maybe inch up to the idea that everyone is subject to the law the way my poor rear end was when the cops smelled weed outside my house. It tastes sweet, just the thought of it, and maybe you should ponder a bit more on why that kind of specific consequence seems to matter so much to the little people.

The consequences being talked about was the hundreds of millions of judgements, which is certainly a consequence. It's just not him in jail.

Also "Who's the last?", uhh Epstein? It's not literally unheard of for rich and powerful to go to jail. In 2020 a Fentanyl-maker exec went to jail and he was a billionaire. Raj Rajaratnam went to jail in 2009, also a billionaire. At least a dozen other richie riches are currently in prison that I could find with just a couple minutes of googling. It is farce to claim that a really lovely, really rich man is immune from jail. Like the only thing keeping Trump particularly safe is that he was able to use the presidency to shield himself from the worst prosecution.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/indictmentsonly/status/1783277927876223486

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Unlikely. Unless he starts snoring loudly or nods off on the witness stand while people are asking questions, napping isn't particularly disruptive to the courtroom.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Cimber posted:

Mueller She Wrote

From a more reliable source, the Washington Post. Gift link: https://wapo.st/4aOOO1s

WaPo posted:

Those indicted include former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, attorneys Rudy Giuliani, Jenna Ellis, John Eastman and Christina Bobb, top campaign adviser Boris Epshteyn and former campaign aide Mike Roman. They are accused of allegedly aiding an unsuccessful strategy to award the state’s electoral votes to Trump instead of Biden after the 2020 election. Also charged are the Republicans who signed paperwork on Dec. 14, 2020, that falsely purported Trump was the rightful winner, including former state party chair Kelli Ward, state Sens. Jake Hoffman and Anthony Kern, and Tyler Bowyer, a GOP national committeeman and chief operating officer of Turning Point Action, the campaign arm of the pro-Trump conservative group Turning Point USA.

Trump was not charged, but he is described in the indictment as an unindicted co-conspirator.
[...]
In releasing the indictment, Mayes’s office redacted the names of all of the individuals outside of Arizona who were charged until they have been served their indictments. The Washington Post was able to identify all of them through the accounts of their alleged actions described in the indictment.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I honestly think Rudy's gonna croak from the stress of being in such deep poo poo.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Indictment is here, although Rudy's name is weirdly redacted.

This is always funny though:

quote:

The following individuals are included as unindicted members of the
conspiracy:
• Unindicted Coconspirator 1. A former president of the United States who spread false claims of election fraud following the 2020 election.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I honestly think Rudy's gonna croak from the stress of being in such deep poo poo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

Indictment is here, although Rudy's name is weirdly redacted.

This is always funny though:

Are they seriously going after Jimmy? He's just lost his wife after all. Heartless.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kchama posted:

The consequences being talked about was the hundreds of millions of judgements, which is certainly a consequence. It's just not him in jail.

Also "Who's the last?", uhh Epstein? It's not literally unheard of for rich and powerful to go to jail. In 2020 a Fentanyl-maker exec went to jail and he was a billionaire. Raj Rajaratnam went to jail in 2009, also a billionaire. At least a dozen other richie riches are currently in prison that I could find with just a couple minutes of googling. It is farce to claim that a really lovely, really rich man is immune from jail. Like the only thing keeping Trump particularly safe is that he was able to use the presidency to shield himself from the worst prosecution.

Epstein ran with presidents, but wasn't one. We're talking top dogs here. Cabinet members--an extremely rare bird to ever see the inside of a jail. You're calling out random rich dudes who, for all the evil they did, didn't sit atop the globe-spanning empire. We're taking on a new challenge here, this is nothing we've ever attempted before. This is literally our chance, as we've never had it before, to really drive home that whole nobody is above the law thing, and we're not doing a great job of making that clear to people who have actually experienced not being above the law. He is not being treated the way a person without power would, and it's plainly obvious to me, having had been subject to the criminal justice system as well.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

One thing I'll say about all the "none of this matters. Trump is immune to consequences. "
If that was true, why has Trump spent so much time and money on this?

If the results were a foregone conclusion, why has Trump turned the RNC into a personal piggy bank to pay his legal bills?
If all the court cases were meaningless, why is he sensing in fleets of lawyers?

Well, that's why he is immune to consequences. He has the resources and help needed to constantly grind the legal system to a halt, and it seems the legal system is powerless to deal with it.

Staluigi posted:

part of me wants to say that you have made a fairly risky toxx bet. but it has to have been loving hilarious so far, because all i can really do is say WELL mister the bible, I'll have you know that today something ALMOST happened. It is the ALMOSTEST he has ever come to consequences, and furthermore,

The Toxx is over a year old now. I've not tried to hide it or distract from it. I've just not been wrong (about incarceration) in that entire time.

Kchama posted:

I specifically stated in the Toxx that he would never face incarceration of any kind, including house arrest.

A single day and I'm out of your hair forever.

Tayter Swift posted:

Paid those out, did he?

Probe me again if you want, but this isn't white noise. People are discussing what I'm saying and trying to point out areas where the rich aren't immune.

I'm contributing to the thread, just not in a way that makes the legal system look fair or balanced. If that's what is required to post here, a mod really should just come out and say it.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 25, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

selec posted:

Epstein ran with presidents, but wasn't one. We're talking top dogs here. Cabinet members--an extremely rare bird to ever see the inside of a jail. You're calling out random rich dudes who, for all the evil they did, didn't sit atop the globe-spanning empire. We're taking on a new challenge here, this is nothing we've ever attempted before. This is literally our chance, as we've never had it before, to really drive home that whole nobody is above the law thing, and we're not doing a great job of making that clear to people who have actually experienced not being above the law. He is not being treated the way a person without power would, and it's plainly obvious to me, having had been subject to the criminal justice system as well.

He's being treated carefully, sure, but it's not like he's gotten away scott-free. And his trial isn't even over yet so it's not like we can say he's completely immune. People keep demanding he be thrown in contempt for stuff that doesn't normally get you thrown into contempt, even for poor people.

The Bible posted:

I specifically stated in the Toxx that he would never face incarceration of any kind, including house arrest.

A single day and I'm out of your hair forever.

We weren't talking about your toxx.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kchama posted:

He's being treated carefully, sure, but it's not like he's gotten away scott-free. And his trial isn't even over yet so it's not like we can say he's completely immune. People keep demanding he be thrown in contempt for stuff that doesn't normally get you thrown into contempt, even for poor people.

Almost 4 years ago, he attempted to overthrow a presidential election. He created sets of fake electors. He encouraged the Vice President to nullify the vote and hand the election to him. He has described wrestling for control of the car with the Secret Service to attend said insurrection.

Something should have loving happened by now, but instead, he is being allowed to try to run for President again. Falling asleep in court is the least of the issues at hand here.

quote:

We weren't talking about your toxx.

Apologies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pablo Bluth posted:

Any sane person should consider a sleeping Trump the optimum state when your have to be in his company. Ignore any usual rules of court decorum, let him sleep and prey to god he doesn't wake....

Let sleeping Trumps lie, LIKE A DOG

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Bible posted:

Almost 4 years ago, he attempted to overthrow a presidential election. He created sets of fake electors. He encouraged the Vice President to nullify the vote and hand the election to him. He has described wrestling for control of the car with the Secret Service to attend said insurrection.

Something should have loving happened by now, but instead, he is being allowed to try to run for President again. Falling asleep in court is the least of the issues at hand here.

Apologies.

It's fine, don't worry about it.

And well, it is VERY hard to ban people from running for president. Especially since the Supreme Court says that Congress basically has to be the one to do it, and no one else can do so.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kchama posted:

He's de facto being shielded from consequences by all his donors and his lawyers.

Getting fined millions or billions means nothing if other people will pay it for you while there is 0 net effect on your life as a result of that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

He's de facto being shielded from consequences by all his donors and his lawyers.

Getting fined millions or billions means nothing if other people will pay it for you while there is 0 net effect on your life as a result of that.

It barely matters even if they don't.

Trump is rich enough on paper that he could lose a billion dollars and not have it meaningfully impact his lifestyle. Marginal utility is a pain in the rear end. Past a certain level of wealth it seems functionally impossible to ever be truly poor.

It is part of why fines against the rich don't repay work. For a lot of them all you are doing is lowering their high score. Annoying, and in the case of a narciccist I bet it stings more than most, but trump will never feel the sting of a billion dollar fine the way your average person feels the sting of a thousand dollar fine.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kchama posted:

The fact that enough rich people go to prison that prison consultant is a thing gives me some comfort. Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 25, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lammasu posted:

The fact that enough rich people go to prison that prison consultant is a thing gives me some comfort. Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

I don't give a poo poo if he's miserable, I just want him to stop making the rest of the country miserable to feed his ego.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I just want him to get COVID again but it to stick this time. Not hoping for anything but drat you nature, you owe us something at this point.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

TGG posted:

I just want him to get COVID again but it to stick this time. Not hoping for anything but drat you nature, you owe us something at this point.

Just send him to party with Bolsonaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Just send him to party with Bolsonaro.

*Obi-Wan voice* He's more impacted fecal mass now than man...