Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lammasu posted:

The fact that enough rich people go to prison that prison consultant is a thing gives me some comfort. Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

He attempted to overthrow an election and stands a very real chance of not only getting away with it, but also possibly being reelected to do god-only-knows with the newfound confidence that he is absolutely untouchable.

So no, I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Lammasu posted:

The fact that enough rich people go to prison that prison consultant is a thing gives me some comfort. Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

i will take comfort in the day i am sure he is accountable in a way appropriate to his crimes and is therefore not able to live out his days in luxury and complacency and political influence, and is finished as a social figurehead

i get this in only one of two ways: he wears a prison jumpsuit and sleeps in a cell, or he farts to death and slumps over on camera, while this particular woman narrates the play by play

HE IS CONTINUING TO EXUDE GAS. HE IS DEFLATING. THE GAS IS ESCAPING FROM HIM VERY LOUDLY AND HE IS FLOPPING OVER LIKE A WACKY INFLATABLE TUBE GUY THAT GOT SHUT OFF. IT IS GETTING SADDER,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lammasu posted:

Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

He is always miserable. That is why he is such a poo poo head to everyone around him. Has to use his wealth and power to punch down on everyone.

So him being miserable is his status quo and means nothing.

What we want is to see him get real deal punished (prison time IOW) for what he did, or if not that, at least get his chances of winning the presidency taken away.

Temporary emotional anguish caused by having to use his donors money to pay his legal costs isn't going to accomplish either of those things. If anything it'll make him feel better since he knows he is successfully running a giant con job to evade any consequences while whipping his base into ever more fanatical fervor. How couldn't something like that feed his ego? Its a win win win for him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Trump is the avatar of rich white male grievance. He's absolutely miserable at all times despite having to want for nothing, like every loving middle manager or small business tyrant you've ever met

Keisari
May 24, 2011

It's weird to realize that my life is better than Donald Trump's, despite all his money and power. Elon Musk seems miserable as gently caress and anxious all the time too. Ivory towers seem hazardous to your mental health.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Their lives are miserable because their entire worldview hinges on being adored and being right about their terrible ideas.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Bible posted:

He attempted to overthrow an election and stands a very real chance of not only getting away with it, but also possibly being reelected to do god-only-knows with the newfound confidence that he is absolutely untouchable.

So no, I can't.

For what it's worth I do understand and sympathise with your cynicism about the fact that an obvious crime guy is walking around freely after trying to do a coup.

I'm just either a natural optimist or my antidepressants are working enough that as long as the court cases aren't over that there's a fraction of a chance he might get something. Not guaranteed, but I can't 100% discount it yet.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Star Man posted:

Their lives are miserable because their entire worldview hinges on being adored and being right about their terrible ideas.

So... they are stuck in a teenager's world view? Oh my god... the horror.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think Rudy is in at least early stages of liver or heart failure.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FizFashizzle posted:

Inshallah

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FizFashizzle posted:

Is America's Mayor drinking himself to death ironic or not?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tayter Swift posted:

Indictment is here, although Rudy's name is weirdly redacted.

This is always funny though:

Jimmy Carter noooo

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/live/VdDNCDFpBtA?si=pQMZ7XCW3x1paMDI

Live court audio on the immunity issue.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I feel KBJ already asked the slam dunk question https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1783500239564919227

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sauer's voice is loving atrocious

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Jesus chriat, the Republicans on the court really do want "if the president does it, it's legal" to be the actual standard.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus chriat, the Republicans on the court really do want "if the president does it, it's legal" to be the actual standard.

ACB sounds extremely skeptical of Trump's lawyer's argument

Justice Beer sounded like he was on Trump's legal team

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m enjoying KBJ not having this crap.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nash posted:

I’m enjoying KBJ not having this crap.

Yeah she's the justice we needed in all this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Papercut posted:

ACB sounds extremely skeptical of Trump's lawyer's argument

Justice Beer sounded like he was on Trump's legal team

ACB asked, and Bauer agreed, that this immunity claim only applies to official acts, and that many of the allegations are private acts. So, if SCOTUS decides to split the baby and rule that presidents are immune from prosecution for official acts, but not private ones, how would that change Trump's legal peril?

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

James D. St. Clair, to the US Court of Appeals DC Circuit, posted:

The President wants me to argue that he is as powerful a monarch as Louis XIV, only four years at a time, and is not subject to the processes of any court in the land except the court of impeachment.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

zoux posted:

ACB asked, and Bauer agreed, that this immunity claim only applies to official acts, and that many of the allegations are private acts. So, if SCOTUS decides to split the baby and rule that presidents are immune from prosecution for official acts, but not private ones, how would that change Trump's legal peril?

It makes a mess of everything because then the next battle is Trump stealing documents and trying to overthrow being argued as official acts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

ACB asked, and Bauer agreed, that this immunity claim only applies to official acts, and that many of the allegations are private acts. So, if SCOTUS decides to split the baby and rule that presidents are immune from prosecution for official acts, but not private ones, how would that change Trump's legal peril? A

Twelve months more of appeals over which precise allegations count as private and which count as public.

These questions are making my opinion of Roberts and Kavanaugh drop even further, which I did not realize was possible.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 25, 2024

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If they rule he's immune I hope Biden just summarily extradites Alito and Thomas to Venezuela or something. We elect a president, not a dictator, and the Founders knew very well the difference.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They aren’t going to rule at all until after the election, and if Biden wins they are definitely not ruling for total immunity

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

If they rule he's immune I hope Biden just summarily extradites Alito and Thomas to Venezuela or something. We elect a president, not a dictator, and the Founders knew very well the difference.

But did they write it down in a text that could be literally interpreted, without consideration for context or application, in pursuit of a narrow agenda?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Peaceful protest vs trying to overturn the election. Apparently the same thing I guess in terms of crimes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I like how the government attorney keeps refusing to engage in Robert's vagueries and refocusing on trumps specific crimes

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

That becomes a year of circuit court battles over which acts meet what definition

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1783521814758433212

This is absolutely insane

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yeah this was about where I tapped out on listening to the proceedings, just couldn't handle any more of Alito's absolute bullshit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alito's entire train of thought today has been completely batshit

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I largely avoid doomerism but the republicans on the Supreme Court seriously contemplating giving the president blanket immunity to commit crimes in the context of an insurrection really feels like the end of the game on the grand experiment. Like, how the gently caress do you come back from this when his lawyers are openly saying a potus could assassinate his opponents?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does Alito ever leave the cavern of his own mind? Like, does he read books, or newspapers, or, I dunno, talk to other human beings? Serious question.

Like, we know that Thomas is just in service to a rich white man who's a billionaire. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are just not bright, but are idealogues. ACB is an idealogue, too, but seems to have consistent morals. (They're different than most of the country, but they're rationally consistent with her world-view.) But Alito? He just seems to make up weird stories he tells himself. IANAL so maybe he's a brilliant jurist in some way I just don't understand because I don't have enough background in law or something.

Edit: Edited my descriptor of Thomas because I was being an insensitive rear end in a top hat. Sorry about that. I'm genuinely disgusted by an individual who would subserviate himself to a billionaire like that, but my word choice was lovely and insensitive. I'm sorry.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Ah yes, we can't allow prosecution of a person in high office inclined to do nefarious things because what if they might decide they don't want to leave that office?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Alito has a deeply poisoned media diet that's locked him into an environment of fear and paranoia with no epistemological relationship, and bearing absolutely no resemblance, to the real world. He's a Fox News grandpa fixated on defeating his posting enemies and the sheer petty vitriol in his opinions makes that clear.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gorsuch just like ugly laughed lol, like a witch cackle

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I don't suppose anyone has transcribed the exact Alito quote(s) yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quorum posted:

Alito has a deeply poisoned media diet that's locked him into an environment of fear and paranoia with no epistemological relationship, and bearing absolutely no resemblance, to the real world. He's a Fox News grandpa fixated on defeating his posting enemies and the sheer petty vitriol in his opinions makes that clear.

He and Scalia were probably having watch parties of 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Alito has consistently bent his own belief system in half to fit the outcome he wants for every case he's heard. There has never been a point in trying to figure out where he stands morally/etc. As soon as it's clear which side of the argument he supports just expect him to shut out all other information.