Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Img-goose-chasing-with-questions Won't they be more likely to do it if they can't be prosecuted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
What? Pardon is a legal power of the president you idiot.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Funny thing: Out of context, that was a big issue in the Roman Republic -- you were immune to prosecution while you held office, but it expired the moment you left. So if you had enough political enemies, staying in power was an existential concern, which is how Rome got invaded by its own armies a few times.

Naturally the context makes all the difference. This is the US; a former president is not going to be jailed or exiled or whatever just for being politically unpopular. And of course the president we are currently discussing is under fire, in part, because he attempted to unlawfully remain in office, so we've already crossed that particular Rubicon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fwiw, 5-4 pod has pointed out a bunch of times that ACB has asked poignant, piercing questions on right wing bullshit she eventually votes for. They hypothesized she is doing this to try to put a veneer of legitimacy on this madness, and also to stay in the good graces of her academia cocktail party set.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Keisari posted:

So... they are stuck in a teenager's world view? Oh my god... the horror.

Trump just wants to be accepted by the aristocrats in Manhattan, but he was born in Queens and doesn't have the right pedigree. Obama made fun of him to his face as an invited guest at the 2012 White House Correspondents Dinner.

Musk bought Twitter in a drug-fueled rage because his goth girlfriend dumped his rear end. He paid far more than it was worth and the people who got paid did not hesitate to sell it at an overvalued price. He's never gotten over Peter Thiel telling him that x.com is a stupid name for a website and getting Musk thrown out of the company.

They're manchildren with the worldview of a sixteen-year-old and a limitless supply of prescription drugs to swallow and snort to keep them in that frame of mind.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Star Man posted:

Trump just wants to be accepted by the aristocrats in Manhattan, but he was born in Queens and doesn't have the right pedigree. Obama made fun of him to his face as an invited guest at the 2012 White House Correspondents Dinner.

Musk bought Twitter in a drug-fueled rage because his goth girlfriend dumped his rear end. He paid far more than it was worth and the people who got paid did not hesitate to sell it at an overvalued price. He's never gotten over Peter Thiel telling him that x.com is a stupid name for a website and getting Musk thrown out of the company.

They're manchildren with the worldview of a sixteen-year-old and a limitless supply of prescription drugs to swallow and snort to keep them in that frame of mind.

this. trumps mad he was never the POPULAR kids club and only was a popular kid. he loving hates that most of his fans are dumb chuds.

so whats the consis far. i think they probably rule against trump simply because its too insane of bullshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Retro42 posted:

There has never been a point in trying to figure out where he stands morally/etc.

Counterpoint: just assume the most immoral dumb bullshit imaginable, add a small dose of Hitler, and you will arrive at his conclusion before he does.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the consis far. i think they probably rule against trump simply because its too insane of bullshit.
I would have agreed with you before I started reading about it today. Now, I'm honestly not sure, they may rule in favor of Trump.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I would have agreed with you before I started reading about it today. Now, I'm honestly not sure, they may rule in favor of Trump.

Same. Roberts sounds like he wants to find some technicality to punt it back to the lower courts, Thomas/Alito/Kavanaugh clearly are gonna endorse Trump's position, Gorsuch sounds like he's leaning towards Trump's side, ACB seems like a wildcard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, trump seems to have at least three votes for President Crimes and probably at least two more for a remand and new fact-finding on each of the 94 different charges to determine whether or not each of them separately are protected by immunity or not.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"In a 5-4 ruling today, the Supreme Court says that Presidents are completely immune for anything they do while holding the office of President. In other news, Joe Biden just had Seal Team Six seize five justices and drag them across The Mall tied on chains behind his motorcade. Also Mar-a-lago is now a bomb crater. Well, at least he can do his presidential duties without fear of criminal conviction!"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

They'll just narrowly tailor it so it applies to Trump only this one time

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The Biden that lives in many of your imaginations is a badass, but the real one would never do anything if he had that power

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Does Alito ever leave the cavern of his own mind? Like, does he read books, or newspapers, or, I dunno, talk to other human beings? Serious question.

Like, we know that Thomas is just a slave to a rich white man who's a billionaire. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are just not bright, but are idealogues. ACB is an idealogue, too, but seems to have consistent morals. (They're different than most of the country, but they're rationally consistent with her world-view.) But Alito? He just seems to make up weird stories he tells himself. IANAL so maybe he's a brilliant jurist in some way I just don't understand because I don't have enough background in law or something.
Alito is commonly thought of as a hack who will write bad logic and ignore himself to get whatever result he wants.

The classic evil brilliant jurist was Scalia, who was known for writing well reasoned and persuasive opinions, just ignoring the impact on actual people and treating legal consistency as more important than justice.

Thomas is also usually self consistent, but within the moon logic world where he's discarded the last 300 years of law and substituted a new legal system he's imagined himself

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Ynglaur posted:

Like, we know that Thomas is just a slave to a rich white man who's a billionaire.

Did you just deliberately call a black man a slave here?

I don't like Thomas, but seriously?

Caros
May 14, 2008

I mean, he isn't wrong. That is literally part of the Roman system that ended the Republic. Absolute immunity in office led men like Caesar to cling to power for fear of punishment.

The solution of course, was figured out in the intervening centuries by having a court system that doesn't punish official acts done as part of the office, but still penalizes the abuse of power.

But Alito *is* an originalist...

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Rust Martialis posted:

Did you just deliberately call a black man a slave here?

I don't like Thomas, but seriously?

lol clutch those pearls, Rust

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Caros posted:

I mean, he isn't wrong. That is literally part of the Roman system that ended the Republic. Absolute immunity in office led men like Caesar to cling to power for fear of punishment.

The solution of course, was figured out in the intervening centuries by having a court system that doesn't punish official acts done as part of the office, but still penalizes the abuse of power.

But Alito *is* an originalist...

It's technically true* but ignores context like all originalist arguments. Caesar had committed crimes, by modern and ancient standards, and his persecution was at the same time politically motivated. The real problem is that Roman armies were no longer loyal to the state or the idea of the Republic but to their individual commanders, who often also payed their salaries. Caesar wasn't the first commander to march on Rome, nor the first to be successful, nor was he the last. He's just the one most identified with the downfall of the republic (which had already been circling the drain before he was born). Gaius Marius was probably the more significant coup but his didn't stick beyond destabilizing the system.

*and that's all that matters.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tenkaris posted:

lol clutch those pearls, Rust

Nah that's loving racist

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

Img-goose-chasing-with-questions Won't they be more likely to do it if they can't be prosecuted?

More likely? Maybe not, but certainly much much much more able to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Harriet Miers would've been much much better than Alito right

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

More likely? Maybe not, but certainly much much much more able to.

Considering this is already about a guy who did it, I think it does, in fact, make it much more likely

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

zoux posted:

Possibly but the conservatives were a big part of why her nomination died on the vine so arguably they would consider Alito and our current state of affairs a feature not a bug.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Nah that's loving racist

Yes, it is. And it's still pearl clutching, too. They're not mutually exclusive.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

next up on D&D Debates! (5:30 / 6 central): should we use hyperbole calling a black person a slave, ... if he's the most loathsome black person possible?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Yes, the problem with Harriet Miers was that, having learned their lesson with David Souter, conservatives wanted nominees with a reliable history as a movement conservative.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I edited my descriptor of Thomas because I was being an insensitive rear end in a top hat. Sorry about that. I'm genuinely disgusted by an individual who would subserviate himself to a billionaire like that, but my word choice was lovely and insensitive. I'm sorry.

Edit: I don't want to justify my terrible word-choice, but I just find it such a horrible thing that after hundreds of years of slavery, 160 years since emancipation, continued structural racism in our society, that a POC on the Supreme Court would debase themselves to serve...a rich white person. It's just gross. At any rate, I do apologize to anyone I offended. I'm imperfect, and will try to do better. Thanks for calling me out on it.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tenkaris posted:

Yes, it is. And it's still pearl clutching, too. They're not mutually exclusive.

You are a moron.

Edit: Remember when we had a bunch of genius posters calling Thomas an Uncle Tom? Idiots on this site have demonstrated time and again that you don't have to give them any kind of presumption of good faith or whatever. If you can't figure out a way to say something that's not racists then stfu

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

You are a moron.

Edit: Remember when we had a bunch of genius posters calling Thomas an Uncle Tom? Idiots on this site have demonstrated time and again that you don't have to give them any kind of presumption of good faith or whatever. If you can't figure out a way to say something that's not racists then stfu

Thanks bud, keep up the good work.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can’t trump just do the decent thing and have a massive heart attack and spare us forevermore.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge upholds $83m E Jean Carroll defamation verdict against Trump

quote:

A federal judge on Thursday upheld the verdict and award of more than $83m to the writer E Jean Carroll in a defamation case against Donald Trump after he called her a liar for accusing him of sexually assaulting her.

Judge Lewis Kaplan, a senior district judge on the US district court for the southern district of New York, denied Trump’s motion for a new trial and affirmed that Carroll suffered harm caused by Trump’s 2019 public statements.

Mr Trump’s argument is entirely without merit both as a matter of law and as a matter of fact,” Kaplan wrote in his opinion released on Thursday.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

One step on the appeals train down. Two (?) more to go.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

E. Nm, Uncle Clarence isn't worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He’s obviously not a slave, hes paid handsomely for doing his masters’ bidding

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fart Amplifier posted:

They'll just narrowly tailor it so it applies to Trump only this one time

While always a possibility, I think they're leaning more towards giving a ruling that bogs everything down with red tape until after the election while not ruling for the concept of President Dread. So most likely it'll be official acts are immune, non official acts aren't but you'll have to come back to determine which is which on a case by case basis.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Can’t trump just do the decent thing and have a massive heart attack and spare us forevermore.

Hallie Selassie has been dead for how long, and Rastas are still a thing. I'm not saying that Rastas are remotely as awful as the Qult, but I do think there's some notable parallels to be drawn considering you've got two religious movements forming around political figures who are - granted a bit less so over the years in Trump's case - not directly involved in the movements in question.
Trump's cult will almost certainly outlive him and will probably only die out when the next fascist wunderkind comes along. Just like how Reagan's cult outlived him until Trump happened.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

selassie or reagan exist in different whole categories of the talents that work towards creating a legacy (rather than just an active movement). like they were both good enough in their respective roles in fostering something that could live beyond them. reagan managed to be a dominant enough presidency that he would seed his party with an entire culture of antilabor liberalism, selassie was enough of a charismatic religious leader to leave behind a genuine faith, etc

trump is excellent at getting attention towards himself, but he's a legacy inheritor more than anything else he wants to think of himself as (all his business and all his revenue exists as the dying fumes of what fred trump accrued for him to mismanage, and soon that will be gone as well)

so he's not really likely to leave any kind of a name brand movement. he still could, i guess. l ron hubbard managed to leave behind an evil fuckin cult despite being about as much an incompetent, batshit narcissist grifter as donny

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Hallie Selassie has been dead for how long, and Rastas are still a thing. I'm not saying that Rastas are remotely as awful as the Qult, but I do think there's some notable parallels to be drawn considering you've got two religious movements forming around political figures who are - granted a bit less so over the years in Trump's case - not directly involved in the movements in question.
Trump's cult will almost certainly outlive him and will probably only die out when the next fascist wunderkind comes along. Just like how Reagan's cult outlived him until Trump happened.

oh yeah, I don't expect it to go away over night when he dies.

but boy will it be a good starting point when he passes away.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1783632410069893462?t=QimJ1zow_pK-WfK38RfS6A&s=19

So Merchan put out another show cause order for this coming Wednesday about four more violations of the gag order that trump has committed while Merchan has been considering whether to punish him for the first ten.

Notably this is on a day court isn't in session, and he has demanded trump drag his rear end down there when trump had intended on campaigning with two rallies scheduled that day.

I actually wonder if it is going to end in jail time. The fact that he is coming back for another bite at the apple before ruling on the first bunch suggests he is pissed, and I'm fairly sure he knows as well as anyone else that there is precisely one way to get trump to stop 'will anyone rid me of this troublesome priest'ing on national television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1783632410069893462?t=QimJ1zow_pK-WfK38RfS6A&s=19

So Merchan put out another show cause order for this coming Wednesday about four more violations of the gag order that trump has committed while Merchan has been considering whether to punish him for the first ten.

Notably this is on a day court isn't in session, and he has demanded trump drag his rear end down there when trump had intended on campaigning with two rallies scheduled that day.

I actually wonder if it is going to end in jail time. The fact that he is coming back for another bite at the apple before ruling on the first bunch suggests he is pissed, and I'm fairly sure he knows as well as anyone else that there is precisely one way to get trump to stop 'will anyone rid me of this troublesome priest'ing on national television.

Apparently it has been moved:

kazil posted:

UPDATE: Merchan sucks