Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, really? It’s not even on consecutive days?

Jesus dems can’t even grandstand properly.

From the Washington Post:

When are the hearings’ dates and times?

The first hearing will start Thursday, June 9, at 8 p.m. Eastern. The second will be held Monday, June 13th, at 10 a.m. Eastern. There is also a hearing Wednesday, June 15th at 10 a.m. Eastern, and there could be even more that week. The committee hasn’t announced a formal schedule for the rest, but there could be as many as eight in total through June, with a final hearing in September — right before the November midterm elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

From the Washington Post:

When are the hearings’ dates and times?

The first hearing will start Thursday, June 9, at 8 p.m. Eastern. The second will be held Monday, June 13th, at 10 a.m. Eastern. There is also a hearing Wednesday, June 15th at 10 a.m. Eastern, and there could be even more that week. The committee hasn’t announced a formal schedule for the rest, but there could be as many as eight in total through June, with a final hearing in September — right before the November midterm elections.

I believe you, it's just wild that they aren't even attempting to capture any momentum or like even commit to putting on A Show.

Like, even with the levers of power they are incapable of just strapping in and turning the dial to 11.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have the smallest of hopes that tonight was a mattering. I don't know how anyone could watch that and go "Yeah that was fine and good"

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Oracle posted:

I guess that’s one of the benefits to the Republicans refusing to participate, no one to interrupt the flow of evidence with bloviating and grandstanding and muddying the waters.

Precisely why al Qaeda was not invited to participate in the 9-11 Commission.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I have the smallest of hopes that tonight was a mattering. I don't know how anyone could watch that and go "Yeah that was fine and good"

Nearly all of my even semi-politically aware friends don't even know the hearings are happening FYI.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

Keep in mind that the wildest, most optimistic, edge-case "mattering" outcome politically from these hearings that is still within the boundaries of reality would be, perhaps, the polls shifting 8 points or so toward the Dems.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like it's going to matter in a very counterfactual sense. Trump may not run again because of it. It may stop future election stealing foolishness outside of just using the law to disenfranchise people.

In short, the ways where it might matter, we won't know if it actually mattered.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It will matter the next time somebody tries to steal an election, which is 100% guaranteed at this point. Maybe when that happens and the red flags are raised and people call for backup, somebody responds.

Maybe

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah this is the end in my eyes. That was a failure of a hearing beyond the Jared and Ivanka footage and the fact they have to break for weeks is beyond ridiculous to me.

This will lead to no arrests. This isn't healing. Honestly I suspect I'm gonna look back in the future and see this moment as when the fascists won. The idea that you can just vote your way out of a problem is ridiculous when there is no action on those votes- IE: they believe this will somehow save them in midterms or beyond. We voted the dems and Joe Biden in, but it's still just been minority rule. Kinda feels like voting doesn't really work at the moment.

That's why there needed to be big arrests, there needed to be colossal grandstanding and shocking moments that the spin machine wouldn't be able to defend (like say, Kids in Cages). It's just gonna fizzle out now.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 10, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Like, guys. I know we want it to matter. But when you spend most of it asking a reporter and cop some boring questions, that's a failure. Nobody will be swayed. Everybody will forget this. This was a colossal failure. The only way, right now, 100% for things to matter is for the DOJ to arrest Donald Trump on charges of insurrection. But they're not going to do that because the old political establishment absolutely believes that if you indict a president it undermines future presidents.

Even when that president committed explicitly high treason and attempted to subvert the will of the people.

That's it. There was nothing in this to me, that I can go "Oh hey, that is going to be offensive to everyone". Because it's not. It's not going to be offensive to the 30% of America that is insane like my example of Kids in Cages would be.

This was a shitshow. Mark my words. Toxx me. loving Toxx me right now :toxx: Donald Trump runs in the next presidential election because he gets away with it, again, because people are cowards and idiots. I eat a ban if he gets arrested or decides to not run.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 10, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Mark my words. Toxx me. loving Toxx me right now :toxx: Donald Trump runs in the next presidential election because he gets away with it, again, because people are cowards and idiots. I eat a ban if he gets arrested or decide to not run.

Since we know he likes his adoring rallies, even if he decided he was not going to run, there's still a good chance he "runs" for a while then drops out for some bullshit reason before things get real. Do you think he'll still be running the night of the New Hampshire primary? (gently caress Iowa)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rigel posted:

Since we know he likes his adoring rallies, even if he decided he was not going to run, there's still a good chance he "runs" for a while then drops out for some bullshit reason before things get real. Do you think he'll still be running the night of the New Hampshire primary? (gently caress Iowa)

Oh if he runs he'll run to win. Why would he stop? He gets all the attention his broke brain needs as president. He's not in the news every day when he's not president. And you know. Money. Status. Power. etc.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Bill "I wrote a full page op ed in the Wall Street Journal telling Donald Trump I would help him break the law if he hired me" Barr thought this was just too drat illegal and dangerous to be a part of.

Bill ‘I managed the fallout from Iran-Contra and had Bush Sr pardon Casper Weinburger and others on Christmas Eve because I so strongly believe in the power of the executive/that Republicans should never see consequences’ Barr noped out of Trump’s Apple Dumplin’ Gang level coup plot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

It was put on well and will give talking heads something to chat about for the Sunday shows and get the word out in time for Monday. That was a lot of footage. My kids were even watching and asking questions. It made an impression.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah this is the end in my eyes. That was a failure of a hearing beyond the Jared and Ivanka footage and the fact they have to break for weeks is beyond ridiculous to me.

This will lead to no arrests. This isn't healing. Honestly I suspect I'm gonna look back in the future and see this moment as when the fascists won. The idea that you can just vote your way out of a problem is ridiculous when there is no action on those votes- IE: they believe this will somehow save them in midterms or beyond. We voted the dems and Joe Biden in, but it's still just been minority rule. Kinda feels like voting doesn't really work at the moment.

That's why there needed to be big arrests, there needed to be colossal grandstanding and shocking moments that the spin machine wouldn't be able to defend (like say, Kids in Cages). It's just gonna fizzle out now.
the point of this is to pin everything on trump and the dumb militia larpers and clean the rest of the currently active, non-scapegoat republican politicians of blame. because of bipartisanship or whatever.

if there was any chance of repercussion the republican party would've been there trying to disrupt the proceedings. this is all an optics circus. the dems want to look good for that sweet mid-term boost and get some political cache going with the republicans they'll bail out, and the non-maga republicans want to boost their brand so they can sell books and appear on CNN to act as the old-school "sensible" conservatives.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was a shitshow. Mark my words. Toxx me. loving Toxx me right now :toxx: Donald Trump runs in the next presidential election because he gets away with it, again, because people are cowards and idiots. I eat a ban if he gets arrested or decides to not run.
honestly I hope so. if we're entering a literal fascistic phase of America I want it to become dumb and dysfunctional as quickly as possible as opposed to it initially being more efficient and effective with someone like desantis. that's potentially the best we can hope for now, a very quick implosion of the country.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 10, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Like, guys. I know we want it to matter. But when you spend most of it asking a reporter and cop some boring questions, that's a failure. Nobody will be swayed. Everybody will forget this. This was a colossal failure.

A ton of footage got played, but if your beef is they spent time asking questions, what do you think a hearing is?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cr0y posted:

Nearly all of my even semi-politically aware friends don't even know the hearings are happening FYI.

I would say that nearly all of my non-political family members were absolutely watching this.

I’m not so worried about the morning sessions as that leads to news updates all day and soundbites for the evening news.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This first hearing met my expectations. Considering the made-for-TV aspect, I’d expect the fifth hearing (or whatever the next-to-last one is) to be the one where the committee drops what they think is their biggest bombshell. I would’ve preferred all the hearings to be in prime time, but nobody ever cares about episodes 2 & 3 in a miniseries.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
@HouseGOP Twitter account is going nuts. They are scrambing. They are shook.

Hearing 1 was to lay out what the rest of the loving hearings would cover.

This was not their big thing, this was just the syllabus. Class starts Monday morning at 10am with lots of details about how Trump knew he lost, and still launched the Coup. Showing DOJ and us his intent. I dunno who says the hearings are weeks apart. There are like three next week: Mon., Wed., Thu.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like it was fun! Is there a highlight reel available somewhere?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there anywhere thats showing the whole thing from earlier?
Only finding clips and opinions.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

OgNar posted:

Is there anywhere thats showing the whole thing from earlier?
Only finding clips and opinions.

The Associated Press link seems to have the full 2 hours.

ABC Australia has a good summary of the footage of the event

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Oh nice, didnt even think it would just click over.

Thanks

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Now hear me out... I think there might be a case that those specific people who were chanting about hanging your vice president while they violently forced their way into the seat of government might have wanted to do a coup.

Don't want to stick my neck out or anything

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Tucker Fishman - Jan 6th - "A forgetably minor outbreak of violence by recent standards."

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1535087937628643349

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

To that end, they also edited footage

E. Revenant posted:

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1535091397614870539?s=20&t=OG-jWnpoOne1y35dHM-8vw

Even when completely talking over the proceedings, FOX still had to selectively cut out video of what actually happened so as to keep their audience in their message controlled bubble.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LegionAreI posted:

Things I want to see:

The evidence linking Gaetz, Boebert, MTG to any of this in a meaningful way
Who the "multiple congresspeople" who tried to get pardons for this were

These two questions may be related!

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1535099832486006797?s=21&t=Iutw4OwXOl4mTzmerTVV4A

Might not have been able to get anyone to advertise during it. I know in the past though when that’s happened theye just run internal ads.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's the video that was shown with previously unseen footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_O91gyj9o

So...should I just leave this thread here or start a new one for the next hearing?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

So...should I just leave this thread here or start a new one for the next hearing?

Leave this here, and put the date/time of the next hearing in the thread title.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't get over how many white Antifa plants they got to pull that thing off

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BiggerBoat posted:

Keep it here, easier to keep track of. Thanks!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ok so while we have time before Monday's hearing I want to talk about Cheney's hair.

Yeah, stupid, I know, but we all understand that every tiny detail of these things are completely intentional and have some driving intention behind them. Somebody styled her hair like this on purpose to help the messaging. But I don't know that I get it.

Cheney's hair swooped down the right side of her face. It basically built a divider, blinding her from seeing Thomas to her right. The left side was pinned back.

What subversive message are they aiming for where she speaks without being able to see Thomas? Is it a message of "I'm not with him, these are my independent views"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's her usual haircut.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Apparently simply posting updates about this on Truth Social is enough to get you banned.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Flying-PCP posted:

Apparently simply posting updates about this on Truth Social is enough to get you banned.

Some truth.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Flying-PCP posted:

It's a free speech platform, what did you expect? Not to get censored?!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Flying-PCP posted:

What happened to free speech?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

@HouseGOP Twitter account is going nuts. They are scrambing. They are shook.

Hearing 1 was to lay out what the rest of the loving hearings would cover.

This was not their big thing, this was just the syllabus. Class starts Monday morning at 10am with lots of details about how Trump knew he lost, and still launched the Coup. Showing DOJ and us his intent. I dunno who says the hearings are weeks apart. There are like three next week: Mon., Wed., Thu.

Right. This opening hearing did a couple of things.

1. It clearly stated that Trump committed a coup and that planning for the coup started in November, it was not spontaneous or just people acting on their own
2. It clearly set out that Trump knew his claims were false and his staff and supported knew they were false from the beginning
3. It clearly stated that Trump refused his duty as president during the attack
4. It clearly stated that the attack was violent and Trump knew it was violent and it was not just tourists
5. It clearly stated that the attack was premeditated with planning starting from a trump tweet that immediately followed a secret planning meeting with crazy people

That was the agenda and summary, we will see the detailed evidence in the hearings over the next weeks with enough bombshells to capture headlines, followed up by a big closing statement/presentation at the end.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

the point of this is to pin everything on trump and the dumb militia larpers and clean the rest of the currently active, non-scapegoat republican politicians of blame. because of bipartisanship or whatever.
Would that be before or after they said that several GOP politicians contacted Trump seeking a presidential pardon for their role in the attempted coup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also, after this string of hearings are over, even if they don't schedule anything new between now and then, the committee will be holding a wrap-up hearing in September.