Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What does a random pattern look like for $400, Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I’ve never been called for jury duty. It seems like it would be interesting.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I got called to be on the Botham Jean jury, but I really don't like cops and made it known in the 42 page questionnaire.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

TheKub posted:

Am I just blessed that in my 42 years I have never been called for jury duty? Or do THEY :tinfoil: know my mom and dad were civil clerk and deputy, respectively, for like 40 years?

Fifteen years ago I was called for jury duty and served, then I was called again a year and a day later. I have never been called before or since.

Wayne Knight posted:

I’ve never been called for jury duty. It seems like it would be interesting.

It was!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The one time I was called for jury duty, I was like juror #50 and the lawyers finalized who they wanted before they even talked to me

waste of tiem

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

fool of sound posted:

Lol I’ve been called for jury duty roughly annually for the last seven years, been dismissed during jury selection thrice, and served once. It’s obnoxious.

I was called once prior to that but these last seven years I’ve been on the quick list or something.

Got the letter twice, first time my whole group wasn't asked to come in, second time they finalized the jury and alternates one candidate below me.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got a letter saying I was chosen for jury duty late last year, and I filled out the form as requested, but then never heard back from them. No idea what's up with that

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Last time I had jury duty I didn't check the mail for a while, and found out I was supposed to show up the week before when I was on vacation. Guess they never got around to calling my name because nothing ever came of me no call no showing.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
I got called once in 17 eligible years of living in three different midwestern states, and wound up serving. I've since been called 5 times where I live now, and not served once.

The one time I did serve it was pretty boring--a car accident, and it wasn't even an issue of deciding who was at fault--everyone agreed the defendant was at fault--but just how much he should have to pay. It did give me some insight into how unqualified ordinary jurors are to make that kind of determination, though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm in my mid 40s and have never been called, despite living in the same metro area most of my life.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm in California and I genuinely get called once a year. Not sure what California does, but by gum they send out those letters to everybody. Only served once.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

Any rulling that he has to show up will include exceptions for reasonable excuses. Being sick, having a legitimate conflict of trial dates, held up in Satan's waiting room, etc.

Yeah, that's why I was saying they'd get called out if they had him in trial 'every day until November' like was suggested was 'reasonable'.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Canadian here: got called for jury duty once in... I think it was 2016. The crime was attempted murder. They put us in a room and called us in a random order for screening; they gave us a television that had a feed into the screening room so we could see people going in and being questioned, but it didn't have audio, so we didn't know what the questions were. If they accepted you as a juror, they gave you a piece of paper and led you into a third room. One guy went in, did the questions, got the paper, then made to leave, which confused the rest of us - but he came back with his jacket in hand and waved to the camera. Gave everybody a good laugh, including the judge.

After the twelfth juror was selected, we thought they'd let the rest of us go, but the bailiff came in and said "there's a hiccup" and didn't elaborate. Held us all there for another hour before the judge told us to leave, but to call a number in the morning to see if we all needed to come back for more screening. So, I did - and we didn't need to come back. Overall, boring, confusing, and three days of wasted time, but one of the other potential jurors brought in a whole stack of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic books for anyone interested to read, so that was awesome.

I never did learn if the guy was found guilty or not guilty of attempted murder.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The one I got pulled in for ended up being made into a law and order episode though I live in California, attempted rape with a person threatening to infect people with some kind of infectious virus at needle point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Since we're all talking about how we got out of it, I told the judge I have ADD (which is true) and that I might have to ask for some things to be repeated if I get distracted. They very much didn't want to deal with that and I don't blame them.

Also, my paperwork said I'm exempt from being called back for 6 years, which is nice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TGG posted:

The one I got pulled in for ended up being made into a law and order episode though I live in California, attempted rape with a person threatening to infect people with some kind of infectious virus at needle point.

Jeez, did the other jurors all jump in to stop you?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Got seated for a civil trial with a high juror number so guessing judge & attorneys were a bit exhausted with selection. Three days of hearings with at least two more weeks to go when we got dismissed because one of the attorneys I think had a medical issue and couldn’t continue so they had to start the whole thing over.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got to spend a week on a murder trial a few years ago, it was interesting. Luckily the guy was very obviously guilty AF so it wasn't too hard.

LPT: Don't cheat on your girlfriend if she is the type who might swing by the police station later to tell them stuff about your murders to get revenge.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

withak posted:

I got to spend a week on a murder trial a few years ago, it was interesting. Luckily the guy was very obviously guilty AF so it wasn't too hard.

LPT: Don't cheat on your girlfriend if she is the type who might swing by the police station later to tell them stuff about your murders to get revenge.

LPT: Don't tell your girlfriend incriminating details about your murders for some reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also don’t suggest calling her from a jail phone (recorded) to make thinly-veiled threats while trying to get her to change her story.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is why I only tell you, my closest friends, about the numerous litany of crimes I have and will continue to commit on an almost daily basis.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KillHour posted:

This is why I only tell you, my closest friends, about the numerous litany of crimes I have and will continue to commit on an almost daily basis.

Username checks out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can mount a defense, in theory, to just about any crime without testifying.

You should mount a defence without testifying.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It seemed like the instant I turned 18, I got summoned for jury duty almost monthly on the dot. I kept calling in on the day of and saying I couldn't make it because of traffic, and eventually they stopped trying.

Never figured out why they wanted me so bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm in California and I genuinely get called once a year. Not sure what California does, but by gum they send out those letters to everybody. Only served once.

What county?
I got called every 18 months like clockwork when I lived in Sac county. It was a PITA because I lived in Folsom, like 30 mins from the Sac court house. I moved to Placer county like 8 years ago and haven’t been called once.

So I’ll expect my letter next week now that I jinxed it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been called once, and was selected for a simple possession trial... But i was the alternate, so all the fun of listening to the evidence and testimony, and none of the actually making any decisions. But the others came back with the same not guilty that i would have wanted. (2 people in the vehicle, they couldn't prove "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that it was his and not the passenger's.)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Gen. Ripper posted:

LPT: Don't tell your girlfriend incriminating details about your murders for some reason.

LPT: don’t do murders

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:smugdon: Murders, so I can do one!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
CNN has a note that Trump has asked to be allowed to enter sidebars during jury selection. He wants to ask questions directly to possible jurors, doesn't he? I can't see this request being accepted even for a second.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kammat posted:

CNN has a note that Trump has asked to be allowed to enter sidebars during jury selection. He wants to ask questions directly to possible jurors, doesn't he? I can't see this request being accepted even for a second.

He will not be allowed to address them even if he is allowed to be present for the questioning. And I think the judge said yesterday that he wasn't going to allow it due to worries about intimidation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aren't sidebars when the jury is dismissed (or out of earshot) while the lawyers talk to the judge about what is or isn't allowed? I'd presume even so, the judge doesn't want an ignoramus piping in with pointless comments during those.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tesseraction posted:

Aren't sidebars when the jury is dismissed (or out of earshot) while the lawyers talk to the judge about what is or isn't allowed? I'd presume even so, the judge doesn't want an ignoramus piping in with pointless comments during those.

In my experience yeah, sidebars are quick chats with the judge out of the earshot of the jury about some matter before the court.

There's no way a judge is letting a criminal defendant take aside a single jury member to have a little one on one time out of the hearing of everyone else.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In this case the sidebar is between the juror and the judge, for questioning. Counsel may be present.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*juror sidling up to the judge* Why is the defendant in brownface? Isn't that hate speech?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I've gotten a summons in the mail 3 separate times and never even had to go to the courthouse because the cases settled prior to me showing up. Apparently that's common around here in Bumfuck, Wisconsin.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My father in law spent a night in jail because his ex girlfriend threw out the jury summons due to bitterness and he forgot to change his address

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mdemone posted:

In this case the sidebar is between the juror and the judge, for questioning. Counsel may be present.

Yeah, it’s when you as a prospective juror want to explain something without telling everyone else in the courtroom your business. For example, if you were a victim of a similar crime.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Or the victim of one of trump’s previously assaults. The odds of this happening are not zero

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finding someone in New York that Trump hasn't screwed over in some way is presumably also difficult. Although mostly through the tax fraud from the other trial he just went through as opposed to the also large number of people he directly stiffed or betrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Scratch Monkey posted:

Trump literally calls his opponent “sleepy joe”

Trump Legal Troubles: Sleepy Schmo