Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Did we ever learn what was in all those boxes that Archives seized from Mar-a-Lago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

TulliusCicero posted:

Based on the new fundraising fraud poo poo that came out going to guess it was related to that

Wouldn't not spending ANY of the money on election fraud amount to that?

I feel like showing people not only did Trump lie but he also SCAMMED everyone is the new information and silver bullet

I used to believe this, too, before "the cruelty is the point". The folks that are this far down the rabbit hole with Trump just want to be a part of something. It will be effortless for them to come up with some justification for why they aren't a bunch of marks who got scammed. Case in point: QAnon is still going strong.

Rigel posted:

Legal experts I'm reading are basically saying that the January 6th committee has done all the DOJ's hard work. All they have to do now, if Garland wanted to, is just take their work and use it, and likely only a rogue jury could save Trump.

feels like a Reverse Mueller: air all the dirty laundry in public first.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 13, 2022

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Yeah but now we have to rely on Democrats having backbone. I don't see it.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I've watched clips. The frankness of the language is very refreshing and I want to hope. But the J6 panel speaking frankly costs them nothing. The DoJ has to actually prosecute this. I don't think they have the stomach for it.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

yronic heroism posted:

The scary part is some non-zero proportion of that would go on to say, “Therefore lock up Pelosi/Pence/the county clerk in Detroit/etc.”

Yeah I'd clock it at 11% of respondents

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Still pretty funny to hear how many people all over the government have an "Acting" title because so many government officials had jumped ship from this shitshow administration by the end.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

At this point, I think the only :master: Biden's got is to announce criminal indictments against Trump and everyone involved and explain to the nation that he will not be pursuing a second term because he doesn't want there to be a perception that he's trying to knock out his likely opponent in the general.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

You might say that I’m a dreamer

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

My point isn’t that they chose to or not to act though. It’s that they went from 0 to super sonic in one go.

“Please return them and if you won’t then at least lock them up” isn’t the immediate prelude to a no knock dawn raid. So, to me, it seems unlikely that if they wouldn’t seize documents where they were witness to the crime in progress then they weren’t going to do a raid either.

DeathSandwich posted:

You'd probably have to log both files and people in and out of a SCIF and if you're intention with classified documents is to crime with them, you probably want to avoid it.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Let's say Trump kept records to sell or "show off" to certain visitors - the DOJ and FBI would have proof of that and probably why the executed the warrant without any sort of leak or warning?

We all know that Trump just hosted a Saudi-sponsored golf event at his course just a short time ago.

My guess: the Feds bugged MAL when National Archives showed up a few months back to collect the docs.

They telegraph to Trump pretty heavily what they want and what they know. Prior to this, they would have gained authorization from a Judge claiming that Trump taking boxes of classified docs justified surveilling the former President over concerns that he intended to misuse them. When NA collects everything, they inventory it and determine that a portion of what they asked for is missing, so now they know exactly what they're looking for. Maybe they even re-approach to say that it looks like some items are missing and he demures because he thinks everyone is stupider than he is. So, they wait until the surveillance shows he lied and where the docs are being held and now they have all the evidence they need to get a warrant application approved to raid MAL.

It's either that or a close ally of Trump's ratted him out. Just seems odd that they knew what they were looking for and suddenly knew exactly where it was.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 9, 2022

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Hahaha what if Trump keeps the pardons in his safe as leverage over his minions? "You're free to come by MAL any time you want to check to make sure you're still in my good graces"

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Am I reading correctly that in their own private emails they're describing the likelihood that Justice Thomas will help them as "1 percent"? Not really a smoking gun...

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

The smoking gun is that they knew the fraud claims were fraudulent when Trump made them. Thomas stuff is just a bonus

Ahh ok that makes sense. Is their knowing the claims were bs something that's implicit in the "1 percent" statement or is there a more explicit admission? Because I could see them easily explaining the 1% as "we just assumed SCOTUS would be too scared to join us in our patriotic endeavors" or some poo poo.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

I always figured "like a dog" was Trump's cutesy, palatable way of getting to say "like a bitch" in public.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

As we've been over many times before, the court system is hitting him with kid gloves out of an abundance of caution so if they ever do hit him with something harder, no one can say they threw the book at him as a personal vendetta thing.

But he will say it anyway, and millions of his dumbass followers will believe it. Yet they continue to give him every possible courtesy.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Intensely unfunny that most Americans believe the same thing and that's all that matters

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

A strategy that most convicted fraudsters trot out at some point in their trial, I'm sure. I'm surprised the State hasn't explained by way of evidence that banks that loaned to him under false pretenses didn't have capital to subsequently lend out to other businesses who were operating in good faith. Hard to prove maybe, but easy to understand for the jury (that's the voters here)

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2023

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Worth noting that if past is prologue, the mere consideration by those on the left of taking this type of action against Trump means that the GOP will actually do it in the next cycle. Slippery slope arguments don't make a lot of sense in the current climate. The GOP is greased at all times.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Aren't most of the suites to get Trump off the ballot being brought to court by Republicans?

I know the CO one was.

And as others have said the R's have been trying poo poo like this for a long time already. I remember there being a few attempts to get Obama off the ballot due to the birth cert nonsense too.

The difference here is there has been some (limited) success in getting Trump off the ballot because he is obviously guilty of some poo poo and everyone with more than half a brain and a vague inclination to follow the rules knows it.

This could be an effort carried out entirely by other Republicans and the Democrats will still be credited. The public will conflate this with the trials Trump is currently embroiled in, and they already largely frame those as partisan efforts to unfairly punish him for loving America too much.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

She didn't recognize their authority to give orders

The rioters thought the cops were secretly on their side and just saying what they were supposed to say to keep up kayfabe. Which was probably the case for some of them, but not the guys that are the last line of defense.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

You think that's bad, wait till you hear about how "is the economy good or bad?" polls have no anchoring in actual economic conditions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

And thank you for your service, too.

Tbh I'm enjoying the jury stories in general but frustrated at people bragging about avoiding their civic duty. "Why do cops always get away with doing bad things?" I cry, as I avoid sitting on a jury where I could do my part to build a more just society. I get it. Jury duty sucks. Do it anyways. Waiting in line on election day? Also sucks. Do it anyways.

Agree. I was bummed to get ejected during my only voir dire experience. It was a DUI case and I offered up that I was once pulled over and breathalyzed but under the legal BAC and was let go without incident. Booted immediately.