Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, how can anyone watch this and go "Yeah, this was no big deal, nobody cares about this"?
Thinking about the republicans who described this as "oh just some guys wandering around for a bit, no biggie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I was talking about certain US CE/C-SPAM regulars who I will eat a probation for naming for "posting about posters" or whatever the latest mod line trotted out to protect the forums favourites from internet harm is.
Those are tiresome too, but I was using your post as a bit of a spring board since I remember some republican congress person(s) or whatever downplaying it severely.

Blows me away to hear Trump's speech again from that day too. Basically just straight up tells Pence he better overturn the election so he can be the winner.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 10, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the white hand posted:

It doesn't say how many are watching expecting justice to be done, and how many are watching disgusted by the distraction from what they see as more pressing issues.

I mean, "more pressing issues" includes more or less the same fascists undermining women's and lgbtq+ rights, and more or less the same fascists continuing to undermine voting, and the same fascist likely to run for president again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like things are starting up soon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtM9Itv6tj8

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When is the next hearing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol Trump and Rudy deserve to rot in jail forever

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

So, arrest him for obstruction of congress and witness tampering. Like, sometimes these things don’t need to be investigated for 3 years first. The crime is right there, indict him.

That wouldn't make it Meadows sending the message - it's from someone saying they heard from Meadows about the deposition.

It could be that it's being done on his behalf, but it seems like less of a slam dunk.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

Wtf? No. Just because he said, 'so and so told me to tell you' doesn't mean he isn't doing the tampering.

Someone else may also be doing tampering but it doesn't matter if so and so actually said it, the person conveying the message is the one making the threat and the is doing tampering.

I think that's what I'm saying? It's not hard evidence Meadows is tampering - whoever the message is from -is.-

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For anyone who needs a link, appears to be starting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUa0hfG6Lo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trump very mad about the burger throwing story being corroborated.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Didn't DeSantis also pass a law to make blocking roadways with protests illegal to shut down BLM protests? Gonna laugh if that is used against the MAGA idiots (provided they actually reach the critical mass to do something stupid, which is unlikely).
It'd also require the cops to apply the law fairly and equally, which is something we've seen them very much not do to chuds in the past.

But I'm with you, it'd be nice to see that garbage backfire for once.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Gag orders are "don't talk about the specific details of the case to the press", not "we're confiscating all your devices and you're not allowed to talk to anyone for the duration of the trial".

That being said, jury tainting is less of a concern here, because I'd be shocked if the judge seriously expects to be able to find 12 American citizens who don't already have a preconceived opinion about whether Trump does crimes or is being framed for crimes.

Isn't there bail conditions or something Judges can leverage to punish stuff like going on social media and issuing threats to the judge and whatnot?

Granted, different country, and struggling to remember the specifics, but I recall one of the trucker convoy dipshits who occupied downtown ottawa got hauled back infront of a judge because of some bullshit they were pulling and they were restricted from posting on social media, and I think when it was clear they were posting by proxy, they got hauled back in front of the judge again.

Do bail conditions even apply here? Is there rules that the judge can preemptively set out for Trump?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't Trump the guy that said cops shouldn't do the thing where they protect the person's head when they're putting them in the cop car?

Just sayin it's kinda hosed up we don't at least get to see him in cuffs. Not just from two-tiered justice perspective, but like, karmically.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kind of a gross tweet/video to be honest. Calling someone a filthy infected animal is like right out of the Nazi playbook isn't it?

Calling the fascists mean things is right out of the nazi playbook?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean you can call them mean things without insinuating that they are inhuman pests.

Maybe it is tasteless, but 1) I don't think anyone is strongly endorsing the man in the video and 2) MTG is a genuinely, awful person who is contributing to policy and efforts to make america a less safe person for trasngender people

So yeah. Gonna find it a little hard to clutch pearls over verbiage you need to squint to consider problematic. There's better things to worry about.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So the very first loving thing he does after being arrested is admit to the crime?!? Holy gently caress I thought he was stupid before, this is a new level

I don't think he can deny he had the boxes at this point, so isn't the legal battle more about if he was allowed to have them / what he was allowed to do with them?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What is the mechanism to actually charge the fines? Like, does a big claw come and grab Trump and shake the money out of him?

Like, is there a deadline for him to pay the fines by with a consequence?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

American national politics has always required the ability to win in a wide array of states, not just the high-population coastal cities.

sorry but I feel like not enough people are laughing at the electoral college defender

"winning a wide variety of states" instead of a "majority of the population" is arguably worse if not no better. The fact the system gave us Trump once is probably why people are hoping the courts nip it in the bud to not chance a potential catastrophe.

Not that I disagree that it shouldn't be hard to field a candidate that would blow Trump out of the water, but I also can't help but feel like American politics is (metaphorically) rigged because a ton of people who vote for Republicans, are often doing so against their own actual interests, and while it is often on Democrats for failing to appeal to those people, it seems kind of unfair with the kinds of lies and culture wars Republicans and right wing media use to whip people up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Describing reality is not the same thing as endorsing it.

Someone responding to "Trump squeaked by despite a majority not voting for him" with "American politics has always required an electoral college victory" feels nearly like a non-sequitur then "describing reality" with regards to someone's concern about Trump gaining power again because the courts were not able to punish his criminal behavior in time.

"it would be good if we could beat Trump democratically rather then relying on the courts" > "yeah but our system sucks and is flawed, which is how we got him into power in the first place" > "yeah but the system has always sucked and been flawed"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you think this ever comes off as whiny to his base? Some kind of "take it like a man" deal?

Highly doubtful considering the cult of personality and how being a victim is one of their central tenets. More just kind of wondering aloud* if there's some theoretical upper bound.

*avisible?

I doubt it. For basically the same reason people like Tucker Carlson and Ben Shaprio can whine about the left being effeminate males while not having their audience break down laughing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure if you want to be reasonable and approach things in good faith.

gently caress him though. He wouldn't extend the same courtesy to anyone else so let the lols flow and plaster that poo poo on every front page in the country, "SLEEPY TRUMP HAS NO STAH-MEEN-AH"

Yeah pretty much, as someone else pointed out, Right Wing News would be all over Biden for similar.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

No? If you eat a cookie from the jar without permission, and I threaten you with consequences if you do it again, you did not magically get away with eating a cookie just because you conform to the demand being made. That's a silly zero-sum way of looking at a complex situation.

I think the "getting away with it" part is that there was no consequence for the first cookie that was taken. That's the definition of getting away with something. The eating cookies from the jar without permission was inherently supposed to be punishable with the first one, not only upon sufficient warning.

You can argue that in our actual scenario that escalating punishments with a "final warning" is absolutely not "getting away with it" because the initial infractions were punished, regardless if you felt there were sufficient. But everyone feels like this sort of behavior of flouting the rules up until it sounds like there might actually be a real consequence is rather frustrating to observe, and does not feel like the kind of leeway most normal people will get from courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought America believed in Free Speech.