Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jeopardy only attaches once the jury is picked and sworn in. If she dismisses before they get to trial it's still appealable.
Ok, but what if she dismisses after the jury is sworn in? What would be the procedure for her to do that? And is there honestly no recourse at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

theoretically possible but the judge would basically have to show their hand totally as a partisan.
The consequences being? It seems Cannon has accepted her role as a partisan.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I didn't care for diet soda back when I drank soda. They didn't have the zero sugar stuff yet.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lammasu posted:

I don't get how Trump maintains his tough guy image when he's really a whiney bitch.
Because the people who think he's a tough guy are also whiny bitches, so they project strength and toughness onto him, because then if he's tough, so are they.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The popular vote doesn't matter.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

drat, that's so far away.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What are the actual punishments/consequences for Trump being indicted so far?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yknow it's funny because one reading of this is 'oh half of them don't even think he did anything wrong' but the other reading of that is 'gop is split dead down the center on trump,' which is not very good when you're going into an election where every last vote matters
The problem is that the same 50% that think Trump did illegal thing also think that voting for a Democrat is worse than voting for Satan himself, so they'll vote for Trump anyway. These people are not one Trump conviction away from voting for a Democrat. They'll vote for the R no matter who they are.

Remember that Trump got MORE votes the second time.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 29, 2023

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't normally indulge myself, but I took a peek at the replies and it's so depressing that this many Americans are completely sucked into the cult.
If it makes you feel better, many are bots. And Twitter has become the home of CHUDs since Musk took over.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Seph posted:

The added cherry on top is that SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over Georgia state crimes.
I mean, if they wanted to, couldn't SCOTUS decide that they do in fact have jurisdiction? What would stop them?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Flying Milton posted:

Is he genuinely leading in any polls that matter or is it just the ones that are him vs the 6~ piles of poo poo with ties who have have single digit support for the Republican nomination?

Yes. He will be the Republican nominee. They don't care about his crimes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

OgNar posted:

Seems Trump dumped one of his lawyers today involved in this case.
Link doesnt actually say why, just that he did.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-legal-team-2664347457/
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1694697468498186334
This doesn't SEEM like a good move, but I don't know anything about how it works, so maybe this is 4D chess?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

So Trump self reported his weight like 100 pounds under his actual weight, and they just accepted it?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

"Losing access to your companies and losing billions" isn't something that is comprehensible to most people so it doesn't "feel" like a punishment... it's like, so what, I also don't have access to businesses or billions? For people like me, rich people problems are not real problems.

But going to jail is something that people understand. It might not be accurate, but anything short of that doesn't feel like an actual consequence.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Gyges posted:

...once they start going the trial themselves shouldn't take 5 or more months.
Based on what?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kavros posted:

... the present majority justices have eaten away at their popular legitimacy so hard that I'm almost going to guarantee that they punt and do whatever it is keeps them out of the spotlight on this one...
Why do we think the SCOTUS justices care about their public image? There is no recourse for any decision they make and they have not shown to care about public perception at all before. They are not beholden to the public. I don't think they'll consider popular legitimacy at all in their decision.

I think SCOTUS will do a weak "Trump cannot be removed from the ballot, the voters get to decide" ruling that they say doesn't apply to other cases for vague reasons.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just thought this was a funny Trump image.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

So which STD is on his hand?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Those are definitely just golf blisters on a color adjusted photo of his aging alabaster hand.

Kind of wild to me how people can think it's syphilis or anything else.
I'm sure there are people who actually think that, but I was just messing around because it's Trump. His handlers say it's because of papercuts, though... while you seem confident they're golf blisters. Conflicting stories means it's clearly an STD.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nash posted:

Listening (not a lawyer) and it sounds like justices are a bit leery about a state making decisions on a federal election.
Federal elections are already managed by the states, though? Voting eligibility, electoral districts, voting times and locations, electors, etc?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

What's the source of all the assertions the USSS was ride or die for Trump? I remember hearing stories that they loathed him because of dumb poo poo he put them through
It only takes a couple people being Trump loyalists to cause some serious issues. Trump can move specific people into roles with more responsibility, like Tony Ornato.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lammasu posted:

That looks cool. Where is that from?
Been a long time since I've seen it, but I think it's Metropolis.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the only ones i see signing off on agreeing with it is alito and thomas but even then it would mean a dem president could do whatever too. i could see roberts wanting to smother the bullshit in a court case so it has more offcial standing though. i dont see the GOP signing off on trumps "president has total immunity" bullshit.
SCOTUS can make as narrow or wide ruling as they want. They could say that immunity is granted in this specific case, and that it does not apply to any other instance, or set any precedent, for made-up reasons XYZ.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The general voter is mostly unaware of actual policies or statements by candidates.

For example, most people have no idea Trump says he is going to be a dictator:
https://newrepublic.com/article/179548/poll-voters-trump-dictator-threats

I think with Trump being out of the view of the public mostly for a while, people have forgotten how loving terrible he is.

But it can't stay that way forever, once he is campaigning and being public, hopefully people will be tired of him again.

The Democrats need to ensure people actually hear about these things, though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Cimber posted:

Oh! Right! Democratic messaging! That'll save us!

We're doomed
Yeah, that's always a caveat especially when something seems like an obvious slam dunk.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, how does Carrol get money from him?
The same way the US government always takes money, in the form of iTunes gift cards.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

gregday posted:

In a way I’m sort of grateful that Trump laid bare the absolute hypocritical farce that western evangelicalism really is for all to see.
It was only really unseen to people not paying attention.

I couldn't care less about a person's actual religious beliefs. The mixing of religion and politics is dangerous and repressive and I'm not impressed when a Presidential candidate has a favorite Bible quote. I'd rather they have a favorite movie quote.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

"So why would Cannon go through the effort to order both sides to submit proposed jury instructions and verdict forms if she's just going to dismiss the indictment under the Presidential Records Act?"

Does Katie Phang go on the answer this, or...?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Madkal posted:

Biden refuses to up the number of Supreme Court justices...
And you think he can do this?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Turns out that we are the April Fools.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Sotomeyer isn't making it four more years
Why is that?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I mean, I don't blame the lawyers for trying. I think it is the responsibility of a lawyer to try everything legally possible for their client.

But they're also pathetic losers for representing Trump and they hopefully know how lame they are.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Would a juror also be excused if they posted something about how great Trump is?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FMguru posted:

His liver is failing, LMAO.
My grandmother turned yellow before she died from liver failure 48 hours later.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hey man, we just don't know if it's OK for a former President to brandish a firearm in the courtroom, it's not in the Constitution and it's never come up before, so best to play it safe an just let him do it until SCOTUS rules on it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Something posted on a public forum for all the world to see does not have an expectation of privacy.
What if they made us show our SA post history....

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

OgNar posted:

Sworn in on a Trump bible of course.
It's upside-down so it doesn't count.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I honestly think Rudy's gonna croak from the stress of being in such deep poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the consis far. i think they probably rule against trump simply because its too insane of bullshit.
I would have agreed with you before I started reading about it today. Now, I'm honestly not sure, they may rule in favor of Trump.