Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Kemp would like to stay out of this publicly, but if/when Willis gets dismissed he has two things to consider:

1) He's term limited in '26 and what makes the most sense is to challenge Ossoff. To do that he'll need money and thus the good side of the money men, who will also have to take into consideration...
B) Trump is either going to be President or still the head of the Republican Party in '26 and may have a challenger for Kemp in the primary, and it's hard to assume that the challenger will be as bad as Herschel Walker, who still had a fighting chance against Warnock.

Kemp's best play will be to assign someone and give them the instructions to kick the can down the road and dismiss charges after the election, especially if/when Trump wins. If he wants to read the tea leaves and get back in Trump's good graces, he can order the charges be dismissed as an October surprise; combine that with Cannon dismissing the FL case at the same time and it gives Trump a victory lap which would probably put him over the top.

In short, yet another jam wriggled out of by ol' Donnie.

Kemp is never and knows he is never going to be in Trump's so-called "good graces" (not that he really has anything approaching that in him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but having significant debts, for any other position in the government, is a bar to holding a security clearance, right?

Being the President is gonna be an exception to any other regulation around security clearance. The president doesn't need to pass a background check or fill out any forms or meet any other requirement, and is essentially automatically cleared for any level.

I think this would also apply to the VP, since they need to be able to step in for any potential emergency.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Or she is just calling him a coward.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Independence posted:

I have a question from a quote of Cohen.

How is this hearsay if the witness heard the defendant?

The biggest issue with that last statement, (I believe, not a lawyer etc) is that Cohen is testifying about what Trump was thinking - he didn't say 'I believe Trump was thinking...', but rather stated it as if it were a fact.

However, I don't see how this would have any impact on Cohen's credibility. The defense should be objecting to hearsay statements and having them stricken as they arise, but it doesn't follow that Cohen is lying - he is just stating things in a way that isn't allowed in court as a witness.