Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I thought standard practice was you file your appeal from behind bars once you're found guilty. any reason why he's given special dispensation other than the fact that he's a very special boy? or do I just wildly misunderstand court procedure based on too much law and order?

edit: talking about bannon here not Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kenneth Chesebro is the dude who came up with the Jan 6th plan and his hilarious name pops up all over.

"now, during your first meeting with Mr. Cheesebro, was he-Sir! this is congressional testimony! please compose yourself!"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

mdemone posted:

Around Christmas 2016, Oleg Erovinkin was found dead in his car in the Red Square.

Heart attack.

He was the coffee guy, I think. Never met him.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I've always thought the best punishment for Rich sacks of poo poo would just be to live the life of a free American at the poverty level.

So getting up every day at 5 AM to take two buses to your job at McDonald's where you get screamed at for being too slow. Sounds a hell of a lot harder than spending all day playing dice in prison.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Do people even wear high tops anymore? The man really is stuck in the 80s.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I actually think Trump is a worse target for this kind of bribery than you might think. To me the biggest upside for bailing him out if you're a leader of a foreign government, or some other similarly situated person, wouldn't be the idea that you would have him in your pocket after paying him off.

Rather the typical play would be to dangle the money and get him to say something incriminating or promise to pay you back in a sketchy way. Then you've got ironclad blackmail with receipts. That's pretty significant leverage.

Normally. But Trump's reputation is so thoroughly filled with these kind of scams and bribes and other assorted poo poo that any potential blackmail material, no matter how salacious simply wouldn't move the needle. It's like when you rack up a serious drug habit and develop a massive tolerance. He's got blackmail tolerance. You could get this guy on tape admitting to sell you America's nuclear arsenal under the table if you pay off his legal debts. And nobody would care! Nobody that doesn't already hate Trump's guts that is. Republicans would still lineup behind him, and his base would still gobble up whatever poo poo he shovels.

So if I'm Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong-un, I'm thinking gently caress paying this guy. gently caress even messing around with trying to blackmail him. He's a pig covered in poo poo. Nothing would stick. It's impossible to get leverage over a guy like that.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Saw the story about the "Trump Bucks" scam. we're soon going to be replacing the American currency with Trump Dollars (soon to be called Trumps) aren't we? Flashbacks to "Bison Dollars" from the Street Fighter movie.

That's why I'm getting in on the ground floor baby! When Trump takes over, all of us patriots are going to get rich!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

This has been an interesting conversation, and made me reflect about some research on different interventions that we can do to reduce crime. This is a little off-topic but law enforcement is just one strategy we can use to reduce crime. You can also start afterschool programs, build collective efficacy in neighborhoods, promote legit economic opportunities, etc.

All these strategies are pretty effective and give you at least some bang for your buck, reducing crime and making neighborhood safer. Hilariously one very expensive intervention you can do that has zero effect on crime is increased policing. The fact that these law enforcement interventions don't change the behavior of high-power individuals who can afford to throw lots of money at the system isn't surprising, of course.

Whats really surprising though is even for people with no money our system often fails to provide deterrent effects for those that we would most want to deter. Prison is seen as horrible by law-abiding citizens, so the deterrent effect for them is very real. But of course, we don't really need to deter people who weren't going to commit crimes anyway.

But ask the people who are most likely to commit crimes - your hard-core gangsters, people who rob drug dealers- and they will say prison is really not that bad. A bit boring maybe and without some of the pleasures that you get on the outside, but largely tolerable and not something you really need to take any effort to actively avoid. Give them the option to do a six-month treatment program, followed by release or else face a solid two years inside and a great majority will choose to do the time. Because the treatment program involves work, accountability, activities, thinking and talking. It's a major drag. The fact that they don't see it as worth it to avoid the prison sentence tells us a lot about how scared they are of prison or how awful it will be.

So prison is not really a deterrent for the people we most want to deter. But it sure as hell is for your average person. put a low level drug dealer or user in prison and watch their life crumble. In the final ironic twist, these people then leave prison with greater antisocial tendencies than when they went in because they learn from the hard-core offenders who are hanging out, enjoying their sentence.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I find pretending to know the defendant works really well. "Hey, Bill, it's me! What, why are you acting like you don't know me?"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

This is how Trump has survived all these years despite having a stressful life and terrible diet. His highly efficient napping and farting system can refill his energy cells like a battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

You know maybe we too will look back on Trump fondly in 20 years when we elect mega Satan for president.

Turns out the great soul harvesting really puts the Trump years in perspective