Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Its interesting to me that at 77 years old and a former president trump is still feeling out the limits of his power. Do you think he ever gets surprised when he transgress another one of societies hard no lines and the world again rearranges itself to accommodate him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

One question, though. Let's say the SC does say "Trump is an insurrectionist. He can't be President."

What happens next?
All the Republican candidates then run on the platform of "this is an outrage that our beloved leader can't be on the ballot. That is why with a heavy heart, I must run for President!"

Does this improve or worsen Bidden's chances of winning the election?

"Vote for me, Donald trump Jr. I promise you i will do everything my dad tells me."

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

6-3 it would be a grave injustice to disenfranchise the millions of voters who voted for goku

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Letting everybody go home instead of voting to impeach while they were still hosing the blood off and sweeping up the glass was dumb as gently caress

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I actually think Trump is a worse target for this kind of bribery than you might think. To me the biggest upside for bailing him out if you're a leader of a foreign government, or some other similarly situated person, wouldn't be the idea that you would have him in your pocket after paying him off.

Rather the typical play would be to dangle the money and get him to say something incriminating or promise to pay you back in a sketchy way. Then you've got ironclad blackmail with receipts. That's pretty significant leverage.

Normally. But Trump's reputation is so thoroughly filled with these kind of scams and bribes and other assorted poo poo that any potential blackmail material, no matter how salacious simply wouldn't move the needle. It's like when you rack up a serious drug habit and develop a massive tolerance. He's got blackmail tolerance. You could get this guy on tape admitting to sell you America's nuclear arsenal under the table if you pay off his legal debts. And nobody would care! Nobody that doesn't already hate Trump's guts that is. Republicans would still lineup behind him, and his base would still gobble up whatever poo poo he shovels.

So if I'm Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong-un, I'm thinking gently caress paying this guy. gently caress even messing around with trying to blackmail him. He's a pig covered in poo poo. Nothing would stick. It's impossible to get leverage over a guy like that.
Nobody has to bribe or threaten trump. His natural inclination is to act in ways that diminish the us's position because he is an idiot who doesn't realise he sat on top of a world spanning machine designed to funnel money and power to the usa. He's been open about thinking nato is a charity the us gives since the 80s

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

There's been news stories about the secret service getting in trouble on international trips for partying too hard with local prostitutes. They're definitely trumps kinda people. Hell,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/15/us-secret-service-scandal-obama

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The vast majority of his fortune is under the court's control, but he's still being paid a salary that he can use as he wishes, and that salary is larger than all of us make combined (though it's still small compared to how much money he could spend before).

This is because the incentives here are a little different from what you're probably thinking. The fundamental purpose of the courts here (both the civil court and the bankruptcy court) isn't to drive the filer to destitution, it's to make sure the creditors eventually gets paid as much of the amount as possible.

Continuing to do his show and hawk his nutritional supplements brings in so much money that from the court's perspective, it's in the creditors' financial interest for him to be in a good enough state of mind to continue doing the show (at least for now, anyway). And while his accounts are under the stewardship of the court, the court's obligation to his creditors is to avoid doing anything that might unnecessarily reduce the amount of money flowing into those accounts. So while the court is busy disentangling his complex financial affairs, the court allows him enough pay to avoid completely wrecking his lifestyle, but only as long as his show keeps bringing in more than enough money to make up for the cost of that salary. Because if he collapses into a drunken pile of depression, a miserable shell of a broken man, he probably won't be able to keep bringing in as much income to those court-controlled accounts that are ultimately destined to go to the Sandy Hook plaintiffs. Though in practice, it seems like that salary isn't quite enough for his taste, given that he's started selling off his own personal property just to keep up with expenses and legal fees.

Note that all of that is just temporary stuff while his accounts are under the custodianship of the court, though. Eventually, when the bankruptcy court is done with its work and has tracked down all of his money, those arrangements will be dismantled as pretty much all of his money is turned over to the plaintiffs. And since he failed to get bankruptcy protection, most of his assets would probably be liquidated at that point too.

That assumes that the plaintiffs don't settle for less, though. If they'd rather get paid part of his wealth now, rather than waiting for the court to find all of it and hand it over to them (which could take a while, since he tried to hide quite a bit of cash in a number of different ways), then they always have the option to negotiate a deal with him in which he willingly hands over some portion of the money in exchange for putting an end to the legal efforts to claim all the rest.
This always makes me laugh. Theyre letting him continue to peddle poison to pay for the poison he peddled previously

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, I mean everyone except for the most insane true believers knows this stock is a zero in the long run. But, it's too attractive of a target, and sucks in people to trade purely adversarial to other traders. You know the old forum rule, "don't touch the poop?" That's basically how it goes with this stuff. We all know it's poop, but, unless someone has poop-handling expertise in capital markets, they're likely to just end up getting their hands gross.

Also people who would quite like to be friends with trump in the event he is president again

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

I appreciate this comment and line of thought, but knowing that money delays and deflects justice is one thing but seeing it is another. No one on this thread or forum could worm out of paying bonds and penalties like this man has done and he's done it many times. If we couldn't make say a $1000 bond we'd be hosed, but Il Douche gets 2/3 discount and an extra week. In no way would you or I ever be allowed to blast our opinions about the judge on social media and not be held in contempt. Donny Dollhands has been breaking the rules his entire life and he's not done yet.

It's true, he hasn't won yet and he might not, but I can't think of anyone who has done more damage and not had to pay the consequences over and over.

I could easily

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol trump successfully pulling off the old emailing in my assignment and "forgetting" to attach it to get a defacto extension :chaostrump:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Trump actually does have 175 million in cash why doesn't he post that himself instead of arranging a bond for the same amount

Maybe the money was in a form or from a source the court wouldn't accept for some reason so it has to be laundered through an intermediary

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

On the eve of judgement trump flees to Florida where an emergency session passes a parity law with new York and dc. the same night he is tried and "convicted" of whatever charges hes about to be convicted of in other states and sentenced to supervised (by his daughter or staff) release for the remainder of his life. Bing bong one secret move prosecutors hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

I would argue that if they read a prepared statement from Trump that was provided to them by Trump and evidence shows that that was Trump's statement verbatim, then Trump might get in trouble for violating the gag order. But the evidence would need to be ironclad.

OgNar posted:

Salon says that the judge may hold a contempt hearing over Trump giving everyone cues on what to say outside the courtroom.
Sadly it doesnt really give any evidence to prove it.
https://www.salon.com/2024/05/15/legal-expert-may-hold-contempt-hearing-over-surrogates-circumventing-gag-order/

"On Monday, New York Magazine's Andrew Rice told MSNBC he witnessed the defendant in the courtroom appearing to edit the statements that his self-declared surrogates would go on to say. “I was sitting close enough that I could actually look over Trump’s shoulder and see what he was reading,” Rice recounted. As Michael Cohen testified, Trump was “going through and annotating and editing the quotes that these people were going to say," Rice said."

Fuckinh lmao