Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have an associate who is investing way too much emotional attachment into this indictment. He desperately wants to believe there is going to be consequences for someone like Trump without quite realizing how often narcissists like him wriggle out of things or get away with slaps on the wrist simply because of their refuge in audacity and force of (terrible) personality. Or he does realize and just wishes that for once it isn't going to be true.

The guy isn't even American, and further is a member of a party that is actually closer to Trump and his ideals than most, so I have no idea where this is coming from. Maybe it's easier for him to parse his politics with something "good" if Don, the representative of the "bad" part of his politics, gets an actual sentence.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I think one of the things to realize is politics has moved in the last 20 years for Centre politics being "we will do awful things....but feel bad about it."

So while Centerists moved rightwards, it meant the Right had to move further Right. And Conservatives were okay with that as long as thin veneer of decorum was kept. So use dog whistles and not the actual Gamer Words and you were fine.

What no one seemed to have considered is that when you spend years whipping up your base into a frenzy with racist/sexist/jingoistic language but stopped just short of saying it, eventually someone would come along and realize that if they just went that bit further they could succeed.
A guy like Trump is the inevitable endpoint of politics moving rightwards.
And while the "sensible Conservatives " hate guys like Trump for being gauche and not playing by the rules, they don't seem to fully grasp that this monster they made can't be put back in the box.

I just wish they could see, even for a moment, that no, them dipping their toes in the racist river isn't being sensible due to changing circumstances, it's just racism as it's always been.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

That's because you're not a toxic narcissist.

It's really, really hard for the vast majority of folks who fit into a relative/normative frame of thinking & emotion to understand what it's like to be so completely bugfuck-miswired.

Had to deal with at least two over the course of time I worked in care. One was hated by legit everyone including their adoptive daughter and it was all 100 percent self-inflicted. They abused everyone's trust, resources and mental wellbeing. They also lived well into a hundred years old and were horrid right up until the end.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Caros posted:

I was so mad that I had to front a bunch of my spouse's schooling the same week that stock released, due to issues with her loan. Easiest cash on the face of God's green earth buying the pump and shorting the dump.

In other news they have six jurors picked. The foreperson apparently gets his media diet from nyt, daily mail and sometimes fox and MSNBC.

You know, a totally reasonable and not at all sketch media diet.

Getting your news from the Daily Mail should disqualify you from any kind of position other than pensioner.