Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Lammasu posted:

What happened to that Qanon kid that shot the mob boss? He had a lovely lawyer that was actually trying to get him out of jail so they could run him through a meat grinder.

In 2020, he was declared incompetent to stand trial. Apparently, as of March 2022, the status of the case was "unclear," because the court records were sealed following the finding of incompetence and neither defense nor prosecution were allowed to discuss it:

https://www.silive.com/crime-safety...ons-remain.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
To be clear, there is no prosecution. It's a civil case--Roberta Kaplan is the plaintiff's lawyer.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Grain of salt on this since the mediator's with Meidas.

At least if this is accurate, it's not a J6 thing.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sarcastro posted:

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but having significant debts, for any other position in the government, is a bar to holding a security clearance, right?

Kinda--my understanding is it's a factor, but it's not like there's a set debt amount that bars you if you go over. It's more a consideration of debt in relation to income/ability to pay, in the context of credit history. Most people have some significant debt (student loans, a mortgage, etc.). Generally, it's not disqualifying unless it's considered excessive compared to your ability to pay it, or you have a past history of defaulting on debt, particularly when it's not for good reasons (e.g. defaulting on your mortgage because you lost your job might not be disqualifying, but defaulting because you had a gambling problem probably would be). Basically, it's pretty context-heavy, or at least that's my understanding as mostly a layperson.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 17, 2024

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
I got called once in 17 eligible years of living in three different midwestern states, and wound up serving. I've since been called 5 times where I live now, and not served once.

The one time I did serve it was pretty boring--a car accident, and it wasn't even an issue of deciding who was at fault--everyone agreed the defendant was at fault--but just how much he should have to pay. It did give me some insight into how unqualified ordinary jurors are to make that kind of determination, though.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think the guy with a persecution complex is having a particularly unhappy time watching people get tossed off the jury one after another for hating him.

So they can go home and not have to do jury duty? Must be hard for them.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

They are currently picking out the people who are going to be tasked with deciding whether Trump gets away with poo poo or not. I suspect Trump very much wants any anti-Trump views they hold to be found now!

Besides, he's well aware that people hate him. He's invented entire conspiracy theories in which the sole reason he doesn't get what he wants is that so many people hate him and are secretly working against him. I doubt he's shedding too many tears over having to listen as the court spends a couple of days thoroughly screening jurors for any potential bias against him. At worst, he's probably just bored from having to sit in the courtroom and not say anything for so long.

Well. sure, but it's not revenge on the people who said bad things about him, so I'm not really sure what his persecution complex would have to do with it--that would be true of any criminal defendant.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Would a juror also be excused if they posted something about how great Trump is?

They did dismiss this guy, apparently:

quote:

One prospective juror was excused after saying having grown up in Texas and his current work in the accounting profession might impinge on his fairness. He noted that many of his family and friends in Texas are Republicans.

“I believe I have some unconscious bias,” the prospective juror told Merchan.

The judge then asked if that meant he couldn’t be fair.

“I don’t know,” the prospective juror said. “Not sure.”

Merchan briefly consulted with lawyers for both sides and then excused the prospective juror.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/live-blog/-trump-hush-money-trial-day-2-live-updates-rcna145935/rcrd39048?canonicalCard=true

Granted, most of the dismissed seem to have been because of indications of bias in the other direction.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1783632410069893462?t=QimJ1zow_pK-WfK38RfS6A&s=19

So Merchan put out another show cause order for this coming Wednesday about four more violations of the gag order that trump has committed while Merchan has been considering whether to punish him for the first ten.

Notably this is on a day court isn't in session, and he has demanded trump drag his rear end down there when trump had intended on campaigning with two rallies scheduled that day.

I actually wonder if it is going to end in jail time. The fact that he is coming back for another bite at the apple before ruling on the first bunch suggests he is pissed, and I'm fairly sure he knows as well as anyone else that there is precisely one way to get trump to stop 'will anyone rid me of this troublesome priest'ing on national television.

Apparently it has been moved:

kazil posted:

UPDATE: Merchan sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Happy birthday to me, get the gently caress out Fan-ni

The only poll I've seen had Willis leading 79% to 9%, so, while I don't really know the quality of pollster . . . seems like it would be a bit of an upset.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/poll-shows-first-look-at-key-fulton-county-races