Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
One small part of this whole thing that brings me joy is constantly hearing about just what a miserable sack of crap Trump is all the time. I mean, he's one of the luckiest people alive, he was born into unimaginable wealth and had enough shamelessness and PR skills to parlay that into celebrity. He could spend the rest of his life just chillin' and having fun. But instead he's so desperately needy that he ends up throwing toddler-level tantrums all the time. It must be miserable.

And regarding the mattering, it's impossible to predict when or if the tide might turn. Things that aid it would include a bunch of close advisers thinking their goose is cooked and turning on him to testify, or someone like Rupert Murdoch deciding their goals would be better advanced by throwing him to the wolves. The dam never seems like it will break until it does.

Unless, of course, the new world of social media and cable news makes that no longer true. But its always broken in the past, so I would expect it to at some unknowable time until proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Putting aside for a moment that Orson Scott Card is a terrible person...

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

But no, it turns out it really is that easy.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
My completely made up theory is that it was leaked by someone in the law office who has as conscience.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

loving lol at growing a beard and buying angry tshirts because you're a Soldier of Trump now. loving hell

This is probably the most exciting thing that's ever happened to him. Geezers need excitement.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that calling MTG a "diseased animal" does not a goddamned thing to arrest the tide of fascism overtaking the country.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Zotix posted:

While this borders on the conspiracy side of things, I personally don't think it's impossible that Trump used the powers that he had while president to get dirt on 15-20 top Republicans. The lengths these people will go to break their backs for him is hard to justify in normal context.

I think the simpler explanation is that an elected Republican, with a few specific exceptions (e.g. Romney), is ending their career if they come out against Trump. They will no longer be able to win a primary.

So they go along with it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

I take no pleasure in this.

Did Louise Mensch (sp?) ever address this whole thing after the fact?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The bigger issue, outside of any one poll, is that it has been shown indisputably that Trump tried to steal the last election, but there is no indication yet that that fact has changed the mind of a single 2020 Trump voter.

That's a big problem that's not going to just go away.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm no big city publicist but that mug shot seems like it will have a repulsive effect on anyone who is not an absolute MAGA diehard. And, unlike a lot of news, everybody in the country will see it in the next few days.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Ah well, nevertheless

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

This assumes they're even aware of it. To the extent they are, other posters have pointed out how it's largely perceived

Yeah, 50 years ago Walter Kronkite would be taking about this stuff every night on the news that everyone watched. Now, we take in completely different information than those who watch right-wing media and as a result live in completely separate realities from them with regards to what even happens day to day.

It's a real big problem and it's not going away even after Trump dies

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah lol. What Trumpite is gonna see him nodding off at his criminal trial and think "Ah! That was the final straw!"

It's weird what can change someone's mind. I read an article a few weeks back (I forget where), where they talked to an older woman who decided Trump selling shoes was the thing that meant she was not going to vote for him in the upcoming election. Obviously that's coming directly from her, so its biased, but she was openly admitting to it so she probably means it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

TheKub posted:

Am I just blessed that in my 42 years I have never been called for jury duty? Or do THEY :tinfoil: know my mom and dad were civil clerk and deputy, respectively, for like 40 years?

Fifteen years ago I was called for jury duty and served, then I was called again a year and a day later. I have never been called before or since.

Wayne Knight posted:

I’ve never been called for jury duty. It seems like it would be interesting.

It was!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A lotta girlfriends in this thread vindictively sending their men to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Nobody wants to read anymore