Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can't they just subpoena the NSA to get the texts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They need to subpoena Flynn, and DOJ needs to charge him with treason.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Oracle posted:

Start the upload on a Friday night then take off for the weekend, I can see it.

Yep. Jones' lawyer being all :smuggo: and thinking, "I'll make the opposition work over the weekend."

FizFashizzle posted:

Cruz, Blackburn, or Ron Johnson.

Please, all of them, please, all of them...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I had totally forgotten till today that Connecticut has 8 plaintiffs rather than 2, so even setting aside Connecticut's more generous damages laws, that alone multiplies Number some.

Here in Connecticut, we love us some plaintiff damages. Mmmhmm.

-Blackadder- posted:

Looks like we're at the bottom of the second act of the third movie, where the villain from the first movie briefly comes back to help battle the new, inhumanly powerful big bad.
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1555282305400426501

This post helped me resolve the cognitive dissonance I was feeling. Thank you.

Murgos posted:

His wife coming after what’s left though, that could be a problem for him if they can show he was hiding his income. They could find that he owes going way back.
I'm now wondering who exactly he hid his income from? Plaintiffs? That's just perjury? The IRS? If the IRS, then he's definitely hosed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Oracle posted:

Maybe that's the real reason Nancy went to Taiwan; they were briefed on an eyes only document that said new policy is if China invades Taiwan's on its own and he showed people it.

Maybe not something so direct (I'm not convinced the US has a strategy that clear with regards to Taiwan), but perhaps something related to our capability to defend Taiwan.

I know it's tempting to crow in triumph that Trump almost certainly did a Really Bad Thing Again and This Time He'll Face Consequences, but releasing SCA materials can be really, really bad.

Edit as I'm reading the thread while writing this: nukes? Oh, fuuuuuck...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I actually don't like understatements. We need to call things what they are. Mr. Trump was not "not fully forthcoming ". Mr. Trump "lied". Trump and his team lied about documents in their possession.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1558599576768200711?s=20&t=0rj68URvb64XAeilHyGPlQ
John Cooper is not exactly un-biased or unemotional about this topic, but he actually raises a very good point: the FBI may be able to find more just be fingerprints on these documents.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Murgos posted:

God damnit Lindsey go loving testify, you’re just going to take the fifth a hundred times anyway.

Bonus points: grant him immunity so that he can't just plead the 5th, and then nail him when he inevitabily perjures himself. He can't help but talk out of both sides of his mouth.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I hate the idea that the entire lie about election fraud was just a projection based smoke screen to make their own, inevitable future election fraud feel less plausible.

If there's one thing I've learned these last few years, it's that with tyrannical personalities (Trump, Putin, MAGA, etc.), it's *always* projection.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Maybe he shouldn't have shoved them in the folder labelled "TS-SCI: Project Big Nuclear Secrets".

lol who am I kidding Trump is just making this up like he makes everything up. If he posted on his lovely network that the sky was blue I'd look out the window before agreeing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

cr0y posted:

Why would they take them just to return them when trump threw a tantrum?

Trump is a slob. They could legitimately have been shoved into some random folder full of nuclear secrets. The guy doesn't read or even so much as listen to a podcast. He just asserts what he wants to be true and then yells a lot. Do you think someone with so lazy a mind would be even remotely organized in his personal effects? That's what he pays people for. (Well, what he says he'll pay them for. He stiffs most people who work for him.)

The most likely explanation, though, is that he was using his usual tactic: throw lots of noise out and see if a message sticks. If it does, keep hammering it. If his base latches onto :qq: his passports :qq: you can drat well bet he'll keep claiming the FBI has them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Uglycat posted:

okay, hear me out

the diplomatic passport is the one trump is insisting isn't expired

because trump believes himself to still be president

e - and he doesn't just believe he /had/ the power to declass at will; he believes he still /has/ that power

Yup. That's his intended play. He'll insist on getting "his" property back, and is hoping that question will go to the Supreme Court where they'll announce its his because he is POTUS. A case that starts in small claims court will decide the Presidency, in this timeline.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

No. As we've discussed with you before, the Constitutional definition of "treason" has purposely been drawn to be unreasonably tight and restrictive, and courts have consistently followed the clearly expressed will of the writers by interpreting the Treason Clause extremely strictly.

If you're asking if something could be treason, the answer is almost definitely no. When it comes to treason, there is no "could", there is no "maybe", there is no "well if you look at it this way". It was deliberately designed to make it as difficult as possible to stretch or expand it, which is most of the reason it was written into the Constitution to begin with.

I know you desperately want to see Trump convicted of treason and executed, but give up on that dream.

At best, we'll have to settle for heart disease in a federal prison someplace. Even that may be too optimistic, but I still have hope!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Now if they'd suspend the other hate speech accounts... https://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidate-florida-house-booted-050149750.html "Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!"

Are they gonna do something about domestic terrorists or not?

I suppose Florida got off too lightly the last time they seceded.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It's a loving grand jury. They can ask them anything they want related tonthe crimes under investigation. If he doesn't want to incriminate himself, he can plead the fifth. Ffs

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cimber posted:

Even the president can't just wave his hands and say it is declassified. He has to go through a process, just like issuing a pardon. That classification change needs to be documented and circulated to the relevant agencies.

He can't say "Well, I declassified them before i left office", because there is no proof of it. He also can't say "Well, I issued a pardon to XXX on my last day", because if its not noted somewhere it didn't actually happen.

Even process aside, I assume the "reasonable person" doctrine would be in play. Would a reasonable person understand that so-and-so was pardoned, or that such-and-such a document was declassified? "Well, the President didn't follow the process, but he loudly announced at a dinner attended by hundreds that he was pardoning Roger Rabbit, and then wrote a pardon on napkin and signed it in fully view of the crowd." That's not following the process, but is probably a reasonable way to say, "Roger Rabbit was pardoned."

"The former president seems to remember that he thought to himself on a Tuesday several years ago, "This top-secret document is now unclassified,"" does not meet that burden, because no reasonable person could know it to be true.

DOJ needs to hurry up and indict this son-of-a-bitch so that he can be in jail before 2024.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If we're going to deal with political violence either way, I'll choose the option that puts as many fascists behind bars as early as possible.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cimber posted:

Those are the last people I'd want to retire, because he'd just promote people who would be actual bootlickers.

Or hell, not even promote people. Wanna see Lieutenant General Roger Stone? Thats how you see Lieutenant General Roger Stone.

(I feel ill just thinking about that)

One of the best things Congress could pass is to remove SecDefs authority to commission officers. Officer commissions are the purview of Congress (the full Confess, incidentally). It literally takes an act of Congress to make an Ensign or a Second Lieutenant. At some point last century Congress delegated their authority to SecDef because they got tired of having it on the legislative agenda or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cimber posted:

I think thats true for the lower grade officers, but once someone gets up to (I think) O-6 it goes back to congress. The problem was that a number of officers were stuck waiting on congress to promote them, sometimes for years.

If Colonels/Captains and higher still require explicit Congressional approval, that's a good thing. It prevents the President from unilaterally stuffing the officer corps.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

What does that mean in laypersons' terms?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I wish we could force Fox to rename their channel. They're not a news channel. They're a channel full of talking heads who argue via assertion. There's no actual reporting, no analysis, no thinking. It's just buzzword-laden anger and people saying what they want to be true.

We need more companies like Dominion to start suing the poo poo out of Fox and Murdoch's private little empire for the lies that platform continues to push. The First Amendment does not guarantee lack of any consequences for anything said.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

Fox would have no problem arguing in court that they're a journalistic outfit like any other. Not when basically every newspaper has, and has always had, an "Opinion" or "Editorials" section.

Fox runs straightforward reporting on the news during the day, marquee name talking head opinion shows at night. It's the same basic format as CNN and MSNBC, even if their opining is more often based in fact than FNN.

Someone awhile back posted a timeline of when the talking-head-opinion shows used to come on versus where it is now. Let's take today. Times are EDT:

3pm Martha MacCallum
4pm Neil Cavuto
5pm "The Five"
6pm Bret Baier
7pm Jesse Watters
8pm Tucker Carlson
9pm Hannity
10pm Ingraham
11pm Gutfeld

Which of those people is an actual journalist and not merely an opinion writer? Nevermind, too, that their "opinion people" don't actually make arguments, they make assertions.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The story may be from 2021 but it's relevant today because recent revelations explain why that was (is) happening.

Trump breaking the law got a bunch of US intelligence assets killed. This breach may end up far worse than Ames.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump. At the very least, no one important or in a position to actually know has officially drawn that connection or made that accusation yet, at least as far as I can tell.

The article proposes plenty of entirely plausible reasons for this to be happening. (short version: the CIA is being careless and incompetent with the lives of foreign informants, too arrogant to take enemy counterintelligence seriously and too focused on covert ops bullshit to take the basic spy work seriously)

I think it is a reasonable extrapolation to say, "In January 2021 a large amount of highly-classified information was moved to an insecure location with easy access to foreign intelligence assets. By later that same year, human intelligence assets started getting whacked. Therefore, it is highly plausible that the former directly or indirectly resulted in the latter."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I hate how we finally got Trump onto a platform where he gets 20,000 "likes" on good day, and then everybody on Twitter just posts for him. FFS silence the rear end in a top hat.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I really do wonder if it was Gini writing those emails.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

What's interesting is that by far most of the Trump appointed judges that Trump himself has stood before have ruled against him based on the law, though most of those judges were relatively qualified for their appointments anyway. So the question becomes what makes this current Judge dumb enough to try and assuage Trump when so many others were smart enough to tell him to gently caress off?

It appears the answer is in the question.
https://twitter.com/PeterVroom1/status/1567676847969673219
https://twitter.com/PeterVroom1/status/1567676857708863489
Oh and the American Bar Association rated her "unqualified."

Along with SCOTUS it's pretty amazing to watch these "esteemed ultimate authority figures of American jurisprudence" just completely poo poo all over and make a mockery of American jurisprudence. Must be fun times being a law student these days.

Can a federal judge be impeached for being unqualified, or do they need to commit a crime? (Granted, obstruction of justice is a crime...)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

duodenum posted:

It's all about delay. The merits don't matter. Delay delay delay until the Republicans are in charge again and can take the heat off. Throw poo poo at the wall that has to be debated for a month and then throw more poo poo at the wall.

That's been Trump's legal strategy forever, including in business. Rack up legal bills and exhaust the other side until they agree to settle just to be done with it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SniHjen posted:

you mention so many things from that motion, and yet, there is so many more things.

He tried to sue the world.

"People who posted on Twitter..."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/14/politics/oath-keepers-judge-mehta-argument/index.html

Can someone explain the practical impact of your lawyer and a judge getting into a yelling match pre-trial? Does it matter?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

She's not even pretending to interpret the law or find facts. Impeach her. Better yet, just defund her office and salary. Let her run her loving kangaroo court from a public park or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

sure, let's just defund a government official anytime we don't like their decisions.

That's sarcasm, by the way. What you're suggesting would be incredibly dangerous and likely to backfire against the democrats. Not to mention disgracing the values on which this country was founded.

Maga has already set the precedent of using violence to achieve its political goals. Using legal means to remove outright corruption seems reasonable to the times. How would this backfire given that armed rebellion is already been used?

This isn't a question of "Didn't like the opinion". The judge is ignoring that the sun rises in the east, and at this point may as well have ruled that the Federal government actually doesn't own any documents, buildings, or anything else. It's an entirely arbitrary ruling.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Clarste posted:

The judicial corrective measure is an appeal. The political corrective measure is impeachment. Theoretically.

That's a fair response. Thanks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'd love for Bush, Clinton, and Obama to file an amicus brief that says, "As former Presidents, actually the law does apply to us equally. Call us if you find this confusing."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I dunno: restore my faith that justice has a chance?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Murgos posted:

Edit: Teri’s faq is pretty good as a brief summary of where we are at and has some reasonable explanations for a lot of the common ‘why…’ questions that keep coming up. https://terikanefield.com/all-new-doj-investigation-faqs/
Just wanted to say thanks for posting a link to this FAQ. It was excellent, at least for someone like myself who is not a lawyer.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It could easily be both. "He'll be biased for us, or we'll claim in this other case shows he's biased against us."

Comedy option: the judge meant to appoint someone else but mixed up the spelling of the name or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I kind of think that the conservatives (eesh, even that term is too liberal for them) on the Supreme Court won't abject themselves to Trump. If they did, they would risk Congress and the President going, "Okay, play times over, here are 6 more Supreme Court justices. Enough of this charade."

Which would not be good, but would be appropriate if Thomas leads other justices to start kneeling at the foot of their Orange Calf.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The answer is, "Do the right thing." That means holding criminals accountable for committing crimes. The alternative is to do the wrong thing, at which point why try to have a society of laws at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, as the questioner, just ask the question, let him plead the fifth, and then...wait. He won't be able to resist the silence.