Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Mike Duncan wrote a book called The Storm Before the Storm about the century leading up to the fall of the Roman Republic and one of the themes he returns to quite often is the steady erosion of mos maiorum, or the uncodified but vital social norms that formed an important supporting structure in roman civic life. These rules were sacrosanct until they weren't any longer (the book is filled with examples of important Roman figures like Marius, Sulla, and others breaking them), and as these unspoken prohibitions crumbled, ambitious individuals were afforded more and more leeway to blatantly ignore the actual laws. We all know what the result was and reading the book, it was difficult not to see the politics of the last 20 years closely resemble this pattern.

I've seen articles and editorials since the early 90s that the USA is speed-running the Roman empire. The only change I've ever seen in the discussion is to what will cause it.

I dug around but it's difficult to find articles pre-dating the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"That would be a good idea"

:lol::lol::lol:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

zoux posted:

I suppose one complicating factor is that the RNC is almost completely broke because big name donors don't want their money going to pay for Trump's legal fees

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

John Oliver offers to pay Clarence Thomas $1m a year if he resigns from supreme court

quote:

Oliver made the proposal on Sunday’s episode of his HBO show Last Week Tonight, saying the supreme court justice had 30 days to accept or it would expire.

“Lot on your plate right now, from stripping away women’s rights to hearing January 6 cases … and you deserve a break, you know, away from the meanness of Washington. So you can be surrounded by the regular folks whose lives you made demonstrably worse for decades.”
- John Oliver

He also offered him a luxury motor coach.

:lmao:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Why are people underestimating the value of his $15bn property?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Just checked, bit over two weeks in and the gofundme for trumps legal fees has made a whooping 1.3 million, and don't think it's really gone up much in the past week of that. Even if he was to see any of it -I still think it's pretty doubtful, no real salvation there.

The only thing I can really think of is if the Saudi's wanted to give him the money, and just gave him a loan through say Saudi National Bank which is partly government owned, with no expectations of getting the money back.

Question is what would they even get out of it. The Saudi government certainly seems far cooler on biden then trump, so maybe just the possibility of getting trump in again would be worth it.
In international relation terms between countries like the US and Saudi Arabia half a billion isn't exactly that much. Although does raise the question if someone of some group was looking to front him the money wouldn't they of done it yet? Trump certainly doesn't seem to be acting like he's expecting money to come through.

I can only think they already got what they wanted and the money was just the payoff. Whatever they wanted may not be directly evident ... like looking the other way while something was happening with the Saudi's.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

redbrouw posted:

Back On Board

Spelled "bored" - Norm

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Doctor Yiff posted:

Last time I was in a jury pool it was for a drug-related murder case. I was dismissed because I told them I've been harassed by police who assume I'm doing sex work because I was both a) transgender and b) in public somewhere.
poison for prosecutors.

The last two times I was in jury duty they asked me if I had any relations in law enforcement; yes, two of my uncles were county sheriffs and a number of my in-laws worked in the prison system (in high ranking positions). I was dismissed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My mom worked the burn ward at our local hospital, surviving horrific burns is torture; I won't go into the details other than to say recovery is its own hell and anyone you know that recovered from 3rd degree burns went through some poo poo.