Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

The language used to sound cryptic or coded, like kinda sly.

How did his language seem sly to anyone? He's always been too stupid to make any sense. He just says whatever things cross his brain at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

If they end this on a shrug and go "Eh, he should face some consequences. It's up to other people to decide if he does." Then there is literally no justice in the universe and nothing matters.

Congress cannot prosecute crimes

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Sorry I meant if this doesn't end in some sort of criminal referral or congress going "Somebody loving charge this guy!" over something like "Eh, he might be guilty, who can really say?"

The DOJ is always free to charge Trump. A criminal referral is advisory only. The most valuable thing Congress can do is what they're already doing

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

CNN et. al. are as culpable as FOX for Trump’s primary win because their dependence on clicks and viewership had them giving Donnie the bulk of their election coverage.

I don't think Trump voters care about CNNs coverage

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Not his first time.

There was a whole Mueller thing.

The Mueller probe wasn't a criminal investigation

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

TheSpartacus posted:

People were charged by Muellers team? Mueller decided he can't prosecute a current president and threw it to congress.

It wasn't a criminal probe of Trump, is what I meant.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is going to culminate in all of us having to look at a grainy photo of Roger Stone, fully nude except for a tophat and steampunk gogles

Sentences that would have seemed physically impossible 6 years ago are frighteningly possible now.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I see a lot of cynicism about the Jones' verdict but it's unambiguously a good one.

Nobody is cynical about the verdict. They are cynical about the legal system, which is going to slap him on the hand and encourage him to continue the same behaviour.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Is there not a relevant thread for historical chat?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

A pardon requires an admission of guilt and the court has backed that up.

Pardons have been refused specifically because they involve admitting guilt.

This is a myth and makes no sense. Many innocent people accept pardons.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The dicta in that case is not precedent and does not change the fact that innocent people accept pardons without admitting guilt.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

It's dumber than usual. The DOJ didn't decide what it could use in the investigation. They got a warrant from the courts, employed a filter team, and ultimately at any criminal trial the courts will review whatever was collected and exclude anything that was improperly collected and retained.

Assuming that anything collected was actually privileged (between Trump and his personal lawyer), I assume it would already have been returned by the filter team, and the investigation would have no knowledge of it. Anything that was not privileged and was evidence for any crime (related or not) should be fair game.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

The funniest part about Hunter Biden's Laptop is reading both Leftwing and Rightwing social media discussions about it and realizing that it's the Rightwing's version of Jan 6. Complete with Rightwingers knowing every tiny detail about the laptop story, while having the same vague, hazy understanding of Jan 6 that we have of the laptop story.

They don't know every tiny detail, or they'd know there's nothing to the story

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also what the gently caress is trump's even attempted defense at this point? That document spread was about the worst possible combination of stuff you could possible find someone hiding

The defense seems to be that it's fake news because Trump didn't actually store them on the floor

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

Barring DOJ from accessing secret+ docs (which they've already reviewed) while allowing intelligence to access them is ... not the end of the world.

If they can bar the DOJ from accessing the docs they objectively have the right to access, it's a big deal, because they can essentially do whatever they want.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

V-Men posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "essentially do whatever they want", but they're not blocking DoJ from ever accessing it. It's a delaying tactic so they can come up with an actual legal strategy instead of just perpetually playing catchup or saying something and having DoJ file something that completely slaps them down. .

I mean the Trump hack judges can do what they want.

These documents are owned by the US government and executive privilege does not attach to Trump.

Also, this delaying tactic may delay until there is a republican president.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, fingerprinting isn't real sooo

Fingerprinting along with the entire rest of the tech of the US Government is real enough to track down a ton of people who might have seen these.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

slurm posted:

I guess the real test is how many were things that only another branch can declassify vs stuff he could make the in pectore claim about

The current president can declassify anything.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

slurm posted:

Aren't they stopping work until after midterms on 9/10?

No

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is not correct. While most classification stems from the executive, and therefore a sitting president can undo it at will, there are a few categories of classified material that are classified by separate law, which means that only the congress can declassify such documents, by passing a bill. One such category is "nuclear secrets", or things covered by the Atomic Energy acts of 1946 and 1954. This is why "nuclear secrets" has been such a hot topic in this investigation -- if Trump stole those, they remained classified even if he tried to declassify them.

Another category protected by law is identity of spies working for the US.

The President's classification authority stems from the Constitution. I find it unlikely that SCOTUS would rule allowing Congress to limit these powers.

Other aspects of the "Restricted Data" portion of the Atomic Energy Act has also never been tested in court, such as the "born secret" aspect.

edit: Especially considering there are actual valid laws by which you can prosecute that don't depend on classification status.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Not sure why people seem so confident on how much or little cleverness, planning, etc or what Trump wanted out of the documents. Nobody knows right now what he even did with all the documents or what or where they even are.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

"Voters don't know what's good for them" has a rather undemocratic vibe to it.

It's more like "voters don't vote for what's good for them" because in FPTP voting systems, it's not incentivized.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The DoJ ignoring the Judiciary would possibly give Trump a get out of jail free card. The DoJ would have a legitimate separation of powers argument to hold onto the documents and do whatever they want, but it's also possible the courts would just throw out all the evidence in a trial against Trump.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

They should just charge him with a crime in DC. What is Cannon going to do about it?

Whatever she wants? She already doesn't have jurisdiction.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Then when they lose that, indict him for two more. Then four. Etc. "But your honor, double jeopardy doesn't apply because these are different documents!"

Double jeopardy would prevent you from relitigating the same facts, so unless the different documents would have individually specific sets of facts associated with the crimes, there's no benefit to splitting them up.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

That's definitely what I was targeting. "Oh u see in previous lawsuit the charge was withholding documents from the national archives; this one is about possession of nuclear secrets under 18.3.4.cb5. The next one will be about possession of spy lists violating 18.4.3.bc5. The one after that..."

But there will be a bunch of common facts in the handling of all those documents that can only be litigated once. It doesn't really make sense to try them separately.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The Special Master thing is currently Very Funny but if Dearie won’t face any repercussion for their actions (outside of decorum) this is all feels destined to get clogged up in the courts and shot down by Trump judges.

I mean why not just shoot everything down?

I don't think it's clear what you're actually asking

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Something I had forgotten. It's not permitted to draw inferences from testimony when the individual pleads the 5th in criminal trials, but the same testimony in a civil case can be used to establish inferences if there's other evidence. https://www.lanepowell.com/Our-Insights/221205/Taking-the-Fifth-in-a-Civil-Context

Yes, that's why typically you wouldn't start a civil trial before a criminal trial. Usually you'd delay the civil trial until after, because you can be compelled to testify.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ahh somehow that got lost on me, I thought the special master was afforded as part of his defense of the FBI raid.

It's understandable that it got lost on you because the whole thing is loving dumb.

The raid was authorized under probable cause for criminal charges. Trump then sued in civil court (in a different district that doesn't actually have jurisdiction) for a return of those documents. He's not the defense in the civil case, but rather the plaintiff. This only worked because Judge Cannon is making things up as she goes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The ProPublica link doesn't prove that and the rest are (AFAIK) unproven allegations.

Also the whole "how dare she take PPP loan forgiveness while she buys a pool" thing is so loving stupid. Personal income and business income is not the same thing. I'm not going to speak to the allegations in the lawsuit, because I have no evidence one way or the other, but using these tweets as some kind of evidence is laughable and you should be embarrassed.

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 30, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Madkal posted:

If someone set fire to my house I would like to see that person punished, not have someone say we will make it harder for the arsonist to do it next time. I am fine with them setting up more procedures to deal with this for next time but the people (ie Trump) who did all this poo poo now needs to face consequences.

The legislative branch doesn't punish people. There's nothing they can do about something that's already happened.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mdemone posted:

that DOJ isn't ready as of yet, they won't make a referral but simply release strongly-worded statements.

A referral is a strongly worded statement. It carries no official weight.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Trump posted his official response letter to the Unselect committee: https://cdn.nucleusfiles.com/27/27b...123&_nhids=TEST

It's... pretty :lmao:

quote:

Why the failure to act or use this ready force? Had even a small percentage of
National Guard or fencing been there, there would have been no problem, January
6th would have been just another date.

Yeah if only the commander in chief of the DC national guard had acted.

edit: oh, I see he's complaining that the mayor refused?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

The silver lining is a lot of people becoming disenchanted and turning to the obvious leftist answers for why this has happened. Be ready to talk your MSNBC-loving parents and loved ones through this difficult time, you have a responsibility to the future.

The democrats (a center-right party) are considered too far left by a huge portion of the American population. The GOP is doing their best to kill women and trans people, and also make it impossible to have a fair election ever again, and they're on track to gain control of the House.

The US public is not turning to leftists in any appreciable number. It's far more likely that Joe Biden will face consequences for Hunter's imagined crimes than any sort of leftist revolution.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mdemone posted:

If this were not an election year I honestly believe they'd already have done it.

It's so infuriating. Every 2 years is an election year. Just investigate crimes when they happen!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

As for the DoJ, I think they are all but guaranteed to go after Trump at this point, and his announcement is not going to change that in any way whatsoever.

The DOJ is likely to spend the next 2 years answering questions in front of a GOP Congress

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

"Sorry congressman, we can not comment on this case."

"Sorry congressman, we can not comment on our decision to prosecute this case."

"Sorry congressman, we can not comment on our earlier investigation of this case."

And then they'd be held in contempt

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KillHour posted:

What if you illegally stuffed the courts with seditionists first?

He did it legally.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KillHour posted:

Goons in 2025 when the supreme court declares that Brown v Board of Education was improperly decided: "well at least they didn't break any laws"

You said Trump illegally stuffed the courts. I pointed out that it was legal, because it was. Now you're being a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bel Shazar posted:

Always assume nefarious intent when examining a politician's actions.

This is literally how you get conspiracy theories