Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I think Congress has a long vacation coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

What are the chances that Bannon gets a day before a judge on appeal, and again presents no case? I'm making a bet with a friend, and we're arguing over odds and courtroom technicalities

That's not how appeals work. Appeals function on whether the judge correctly applied the laws and had rulings that were correct. You don't present evidence in appeals.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Every republican thinks they can be the king. It's part of the belief system. They're just all cowards and waiting for the first knives to enter him before they commit.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

She's gonna get appealed and overruled instantly.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/14/politics/oath-keepers-judge-mehta-argument/index.html

Can someone explain the practical impact of your lawyer and a judge getting into a yelling match pre-trial? Does it matter?

Judges don't like being yelled at.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

For those wondering about felonies, their potential sentences, etc.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classes_of_offenses_under_United_States_federal_law

A Class E felony is 1-5 years, max $250k fine, and 1 year of probation. Assuming he's convicted, it's at least a year in (federal) prison. The most damaging case scenario is that he is ordered to serve time consecutively for any convictions rendered.

but he won't be convicted or sentenced to any time because lol at this justice system

Your legal analysis is so valuable when you don't even know the difference between federal and state prosecutions.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

happyhippy posted:

100% the lawyers will drop themselves from the case on the first day and try to ask for a few months for a new team to represent Trump.
Or Don gets rushed to hospital the night before.

Not how it works, lawyers can't quit a case without permission from the court.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Mainly they are too stupid to cover their tracks. It's sorta also remarkable how often lawyers who are bad, and even good lawyers accidentally leave something in a production that shouldn't have been there. Or in the case of Alex Jones attorneys give up all the stuff by accident and then don't respond when the plaintiff attorneys are like I think you sent all this incriminating evidence by accident.

Where I work we've noticed missing documents where two custodians would otherwise talk 20 times a day, but there'd be conspicuous gaps around when the alleged activities took place.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Merchant seems to be doing a whole lot of fishing that should end up with her catching something, but I think she's just trying to perry mason something by accident. I don't think she's actually leading him into a trap, hoping more to stumble onto one that she doesn't know.

And more evidence of that she doesn't even know what of her evidence is certified, lordy, not like it's your job or anything.

Also her pretending to not understand how partnerships work and how he can get paid for work that one of his other partners does but not doing it himself or even knowing exactly what it was.

I'd also her constantly wandering off during his answers reflects poorly on her. She seems very ill-prepared honestly. She doesn't even have her evidence marked haha.

Aw, they turned off the mic, she's trying to say she has some evidence on her phone and opposing counsel is like, well you need to send it to us, text it I guess you have my number. Typical trump attorney quality here.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 15, 2024

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think she does know the answer. The intent is probably to get Wade to say something that can be labeled as "inconsistent" with his responses to their arguments or any subpoena served on his and then try to make ammunition out of that.

Nah, she doesn't because she keeps asking questions that aren't very specific (and are often wrong, like not knowing where the DA's condo was located). If she knew what the answer should be she'd have follow up questions that would catch him in a trap. Every time she's had the chance to ask another question to catch him in an inconsistency she's just moved on.

Further to the point she is wasting the judge's time. There is nothing a judge hates more than having their time wasted.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Ither posted:

IANAL, but this hearing is frustrating.

The Georgia case against Trump is one of the most important cases of our lifetime.

Why jeopardize it with a office romance?

Lawyers are notoriously horny, the long hours working in close confines sorta leads to it.

I just started watching after the break and this new attorney is much better at lawyering than the previous woman, but it seems like the problem is he's rehashing a lot of ground she already covered which is annoying to the judge.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1758240283160981949

Seems to contradict the thread's belief that things are going well for Willis.

Getting an answer struck doesn't mean everything she says the whole day, it means that answer. So yeah, clickbait isn't reality.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

BigHead posted:

Yes.

He's profoundly, profoundly, profoundly stupid for gossipping with an opposing lawyer about a client. I cannot fathom doing what he did.

I posted in this thread before, the capacity of prosecutors to be complete failures of lawyers is boundless. That they would permit the prosecution of a President to devolve into this mess is unbelievable.

This guy wasn't a prosecutor, he was a partner of Wade, and probably sucked rear end as an attorney since he was taking work for like $40 an hour to do boring tasks for the prosecutors office.

He'll probably wind up disbarred after all of this on top of the sexual assaults.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

Sounds like they're going hard on the "this behavior undermines the confidence of the public in the justice system" and also "threatened" (my interpretation) that their clients will seek a new trial if Willis and her office aren't disqualified

So this lawyer guy is married to the idiot Merchant lady? Seems improper by their standards!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

The main thing they seem to be hinging this on is that because they had this relationship and he was hired and then used his money to pay for "vacations" then it amounts to an issue of sorts...I assume they're trying to say that by hiring him into this position in this trial it was financially beneficial to him and he used that financial benefit to "repay" Willis by going on vacations with her etc etc

And he took a paycut in doing so. And wasn't her first choice.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I like how having met someone means you're in a relationship.

My wife is gonna be pissed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I work at law firm and actually got sat for a crazy trial once, unfortunately it settled mid trial and I didn't get to render a verdict. I did get my like 20 bucks and a certificate for my service.