Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
There's not a judge around who would put a former President in jail for contempt. They'll fine him and if he doesn't pay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
https://www.businessinsider.com/manchin-mcconnell-election-push-2024-west-virginia-senate-race-2023-5

Joe Manchin is surprised and offended that Republicans aren't his friends.

quote:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in a recent CNN interview laid out how the GOP would attempt to retake control of the upper chamber next year, which includes his push to go "all out" in defeating Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, a centrist who has bucked some of President Joe Biden's priorities and is by far the most vulnerable Democratic incumbent eligible for reelection next year.

Manchin has not yet decided if he'll run for reelection next year, but he decried his Kentucky colleague's longstanding goal of removing him from office, telling the network's Manu Raju on Tuesday that he has not campaigned against a fellow member since joining the body in 2010.

"This is what's wrong with this place, okay, and I have said this," Manchin said. "I have never ever campaigned against a sitting colleague."

"And if you want to know what's wrong with the process, go talk to McConnell," he continued. "That tells you everything that's wrong with the Congress and the United States Senate, especially under his leadership."

E: Was in the wrong politics D&D Thread - apologies

BDawg fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 12, 2023

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

gregday posted:

Looks like he got Chris Kise back for this.

Kise is the one who was smart enough to get paid up front, but also got ignored because he said things that were in the best interest of his client?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

sticksy posted:

“More Cokes please” :lol:

Trump and I finally agree on something. Diet Coke is pretty great.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

The Bible posted:

It's close enough that they'll be able to stall it out until the RNC, and the GOP will stall it out from there until after the election.

Trump gets the date he wants, and Cannon gets to pretend she didn't just hand it to him.

My understanding as a non-expert who listens to podcasts is that federal trials don't get frequently delayed once a date is established, unless charges are significantly amended or co-defendants are added.

Judges will give the attorney more time if they request it, but not if it risks the trial date.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Did the indictments drop late in the workday last time?

They were leaked on a Thursday evening, IIRC.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

snorch posted:

My money’s on Mark Meadows.

This seems like the right answer. He was seen leaving the grand jury / special counsel office yesterday and he's the kind who goes whatever way the wind is blowing.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
MSNBC says the grand jury isn't returning an indictment today.

E: Possibly something previous that was under seal.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2023

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

cr0y posted:

🚨 Aw poo poo here we go again 🚨

He’s probably lying about that too. :(

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

AhhYes posted:

I wonder why #6 is so hard to identify. Could it be some kind of professional courtesy? Like "we'll do you the favor of waiting for 24 hours"?

I’m holding out hope that they’re bending over backwards to show respect to the wife of a sitting justice.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

InsertPotPun posted:

i thought it was after the raid? barr went across the television giving interviews about how screwed trump is. so, like, almost exactly a year?

I think he sensed where history was going to view Trump and decided he was going to try and not be seen on that side.

An "if that's the way the wind is blowing" profile in courage.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I think we can conclusively say 6'1", unless Obama's is being inflated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...te-comparisons/

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Angry_Ed posted:

"You see, doing a crime to stop another crime is perfectly legal" :pseudo:

It didn't work for OJ. He was arrested for trying to steal some of his stuff back.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Attorney friend of mine says Sadow is the only mob lawyer he knows in Atlanta.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

gregday posted:

Trevian was Kanye’s publicist.

She's the one who pressured Ruby Freeman.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

KillHour posted:

Only mob lawyer your friend knows or only mob lawyer Trump knows?

Only one my friend knows of in Atlanta.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
The airport is well south of downtown.

I can't believe many planes fly directly over Atlanta anymore.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Alterian posted:

You didn't post the big one.
Crossposting

I love they're the 60s TV show version. Perfect.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Zotix posted:

Is he rage posting yet?

Does he want it to be February 4th?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump is trying to get his GA case moved to federal court and invoke immunity.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1699843042990272547

If it's remanded to federal, we lose the cameras too. :(

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

That’s exactly how MSNBC is presenting it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I hope Trump whines about not getting to defend himself against the bench decision like Alex Jones did with the default judgment.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

He’s on the prosecution’s witness list. If he pleads the 5th, the judge can draw a negative inference from it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
If the Truth burp were real, that should be enough to remove the case from Canon’s courtroom, right?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
If you can still listen to it, Opening Arguments covered the Habba suit today.

Takes a special piece of crap to take advantage of a sexual harassment survivor.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1735340844046049748

Predictably, NY rejected Trump's bid for special treatment in the appeals process.

Slow roll the interlocutory and rush the other appeals. Seems like the playbook.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Do his attorneys really think this is a filing that will be entertained by anyone outside of Matthew Kacsmaryk?

Just because there is a stay on the proceedings doesn't mean that other ground work can't be performed. This is just to throw as much sludge in the gears as possible.

At what point can/will Trump's attorneys be sanctioned for frivolous motions?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

ElegantFugue posted:

Anyone saying that missed the Alex Jones trial.

But that kind of thing isn’t supposed to happen. Those kinds of things are supposed to pop up in discovery.

They didn’t in the Jones trial because he didn’t comply fully with discovery.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Velocity Raptor posted:

Maybe she's angling to give Trump grounds to appeal by way of ineffective counsel? :shrug:

Also, those were the closing arguments? I thought you weren't supposed to object during closing. Or maybe it's just bad form?

Ineffective counsel isn’t a think in civil trials.

Beaten

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

StumblyWumbly posted:

If SCOTUS rules in favor of Trump, doesn't that mean Biden can just start assassinating people?

I’m sure the USSC will pull a Bush v. Gore and say it only applies to this specific circumstance.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Would she be able to keep Wade on as a behind the scenes consultant? He's supposed to specialize in RICO, IIRC.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772252059087057075?s=20
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772256797409034745?s=20

Looks like he delays everything, including entering the courtroom.

Pic since I don't know how to inline Twitter.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 25, 2024

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Donkringel posted:

Is this in relation to the half billion bond case, or is this a different case?

"Your honor, I couldn't post bond today because I was in a different court case."

Criminal hush money case.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
It's not all bad news though.

https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772292008888963201?s=20

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Main Paineframe posted:

According to AP and CNN, the gag order does not prohibit Trump from attacking Merchan or his family. I guess the judge doesn't count as "court staff"?

The judge definitely doesn’t count. They’re essentially public figures. His family feels like they should be off-limits.

Of course, I think we all know what would happen if a regular defendant attacked the judge.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I would hope that the logical view would be, "if you're as innocent as you say you are, you should be excited to prove it in court."

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought the Schwabb account was backing the Jean E. Carrol bond? Has he pledged the same amount of money to cover two different fines?

Chubb was backing the Carroll bond.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jean-carroll-defamation-case-new-york-sexual-assault-bond-payment-1878018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

OgNar posted:

Jesse Watters said things about her which Trump reposted.
Trumps lawyers said Trumps gag should be excused from reposts.

If you say, "retweet does not equal endorsement," I'm sure you're completely fine.