Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think Putin cares enough or would want the bother.
Putin would absolutely love it if he had Trump as his personal toy US President to trot out and say bad things about the US.

He still hangs on to Snowden and Segal of all people remember.

Tayter Swift posted:

Would he even be able to find two pilots and crew who would literally sacrifice their lives to to him skip the country?
Easily if they're his private pilots.

The pilots themselves would probably be fine. They're just pilots. No reason for them to be detained or charged with anything in Russia. Unless its on tape that they'd knowingly helped Trump evade the law they would've just been doing their jobs even when they came back to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Georgia prosecutors have messages showing Trump’s team is behind voting system breach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/politics/coffee-county-georgia-voting-system-breach-trump

Yeah this seems big.

Looks like Guiliani had a lawyer working for him who coordinated with a local in GA to find a way to get at the voting machines and Trump was in the room (at a minimum) for some of the dealing that was going on. So at a minimum he could be convicted as a conspirator here even if he didn't actually say anything one way or another.

CNN article posted:

On January 1, 2021 – days ahead of the January 7 voting systems breach – Katherine Friess – an attorney working with Giuliani, Sidney Powell and other Trump allies shared a “written invitation” to examine voting systems in Coffee County with a group of Trump allies.

That group included members of Sullivan Strickler, a firm hired by Trump’s attorneys to examine voting systems in the small, heavily Republican Georgia county, according to text messages obtained by CNN.

That same day, Friess sent a “Letter of invitation to Coffee County, Georgia” to former NYPD Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik, who was working with Giuliani to find evidence that would back up their baseless claims of potential widespread voter fraud, according to court documents filed as part of an ongoing civil case.
The messages and documents appear to link Giuliani to the Coffee County breach, while shedding light on another channel of communication between pro-Trump attorneys and the battleground state operatives who worked together to provide unauthorized individuals access to sensitive voting equipment.
“Just landed back in DC with the Mayor huge things starting to come together!” an employee from the firm Sullivan Strickler, which was hired by Sidney Powell to examine voting systems in Coffee County, wrote in a group chat with other colleagues on January 1.

Former New York Mayor Giuliani was consistently referred to as “the Mayor,” in other texts sent by the same individual and others at the time.

“Most immediately, we were just granted access – by written invitation! – to Coffee County’s systems. Yay!” the text reads.
Shortly after Election Day, Hampton – still serving as the top election official for Coffee County – warned during a state election board meeting that Dominion voting machines could “very easily” be manipulated to flip votes from one candidate to another. It’s a claim that has been repeatedly debunked.

But the Trump campaign officials took notice and reached out to Hampton that same day. “I would like to obtain as much information as possible,” a Trump campaign staffer emailed Hampton at the time, according to documents released as part of a public records request and first reported by the Washington Post.

In early December, Hampton then delayed certification of Joe Biden’s win in Georgia by refusing to validate the recount results by a key deadline. Coffee County was the only county in Georgia that failed to certify its election results due to issues raised by Hampton at the time.

Hampton also posted a video online claiming to expose problems with the county’s Dominion voting system. That video was used by Trump’s lawyers, including Giuliani, as part of their push to convince legislators from multiple states that there was evidence the 2020 election results were tainted by voting system issues.

Text messages and other documents obtained by CNN show Trump allies were seeking access to Coffee County’s voting system by mid-December amid increasing demands for proof of widespread election fraud.

Coffee County was specifically cited in draft executive orders for seizing voting machines that were presented to Trump on December 18, 2020, during a chaotic Oval Office meeting, CNN has reported. During that same meeting, Giuliani alluded to a plan to gain “voluntary access” to machines in Georgia, according to testimony from him and others before the House January 6 committee.

There's some other details in there but I think thats the most important stuff by far.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Scags McDouglas posted:

Is she just going to bond out in 4 weeks? My heart says anyone who does this for this particular trial (and oh, will there be more) should be held without bond and not see the light of day until the sentence is served- ideally after the trial.

IANAL but as far as I know the courts are pretty lenient in general for crimes that aren't physically violent, and don't involve drugs, when it comes to handing out jail or prison sentences.

If she keeps it up then normally they start getting harsher and trying to throw the book at you for this stuff.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Jamsque posted:

In a complete vacuum, ten years is a very long time to sentence someone to prison for, and represents a very severe punishment that is only merited by a serious criminal act.

From what I've read he is getting credit for something like 2yr served so at the most he is doing 8-7.5yr. I'm not sure of the details associated with parole for his crimes but if he behaves well in prison I wouldn't be surprised if he gets out in less than that somehow.

Generally the sentencing for crimes in the US is overly harsh IMO but this guy and others have been getting too light despite their eager, and in his case immediate, return to espousing things they claimed in court they'd no longer believed.

These guys are absolutely the ones you want the book thrown at and locked away for so long they either die in prison or come out crippled old men who can't do anything.

And that isn't some revenge fantasy. They're loving fascists who came drat, drat, close to getting their way and show no sign of stopping to try again or real regret.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Vahakyla posted:

Either we do ridiculous sentences, or we don't. There's no exceptions because they eventually just become it.
Treason and terrorism like we saw on J6 is normally pretty unusual to get charged with so making the prison times for that fairly harsh would be fine.

Vahakyla posted:

EDIT: let me frame it like this, if every rear end in a top hat who did this at J6 gets 10 years, it won't be materially different than if they all got 20.
Lots of those guys are getting credit for time served too. They're all going to get out much sooner than you think. And many have immediately repudiated their claims in court while also successfully re-establishing their links to the Proud Boys and other such groups.

These are not normal criminals. They're practically being lauded as heroes in their own social groups. They're not going away for long enough and so they're not being significantly dissuaded by their convictions or the punishments handed down.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/ for normal-ish people doing normal-ish crimes (ie. robbery, fist fights, etc) you are correct. You will note how I said that I think sentencing is too harsh normally in my earlier comment.

None of that is true for these people. They have not learned their lessons or been put off as a group. They are heroes and martyrs right now to the chuds and quite a large portion of Republicans. They are getting EMBOLDENED by this! And they're getting lots of support from those groups now and will continue to do so probably after they're released. The Wingnut Welfare gravy train will likely never stop for them! They're not getting abandoned by society like normal criminals would and will have plenty of social and monetary safety nets to make sure they not only rebound but get to try another fascist revolt after they're released.

Their crimes aren't normal, their treatment isn't normal, and the reaction by a large chunk of society to them isn't normal.

So stop trying to compare them to the average criminal. The comparison does not hold up in too many ways to work out. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 2, 2023

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Eiba posted:

They might do it anyway, but at least they can't point to this as a past precedent.
That is FAR too thin a hope to hang your argument on to be persuasive or reasonable.

The way to fix that issue is to vote in people who will either re-write the law appropriately or put actually sane and reasonable judges into office instead of chudges.

Until then actual no holds barred fascists who came WAY to close for comfort to achieving their goals absolutely need to get super ultra hosed.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Main Paineframe posted:

The purpose of the billion-dollar debt he owes isn't to punish him by driving him to bankruptcy
He's getting off lightly and everyone knows it. To defend this kafka-esque bullshit after everything he's done at this point unbelievable and quite frankly makes you come off badly.

There needs to be major reform to megafuck these white collar and/or rich criminals when they step over the line as badly as Trump or Jones have. The wrist slaps and supposedly "rage inducing"-but-living-large type punishments aren't cutting it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rigel posted:

We'll see what the judge does, but from what I'm hearing, what he's pleading to could result in one year in prison, at least 5 years probation, and a fine. If he serves out his probation, it also sounds like he could avoid a felony charge.

LOL if that is all he gets then he is getting off incredibly lightly!

He should at least have to eat 1 felony charge and go away for 5yr at a minimum.

The felony + time away would mean by the time he got out his chances of restarting his bullshit political games will be greatly diminished and limited.

As is he'll be ending up just like loving Bannon.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FMguru posted:

It's been often observed that literally every single person who has business dealings with Trump ends up worse off (often much worse off) for having done so.

And yet people are still lining up to do business with him. "I'm not like all those other people who shook Donald Trump's hand and were ruined for it, they were all suckers and not smart like me."

I think its 1 of 2 things: because they see all the slack jawed idiots he is able to grift and lack imagination or social skills to pull it off the same way so they think that if they just suck up to him they'll be able to ride his coattails to richdom.

OR they think they're Frank Underwood and THEY'LL be the ones to be the puppet master of Trump unlike all those other fools.

Everyone who has been around Trump for a while knows either of these 2 things is BS (Trump is gonna Trump) but hope springs eternal with these fuckwads I guess.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't the original expectation/intent that there'd be a lot of revision, that the Constitution would be a living document? Beyond just constitutional conventions and such, I think I remember reading discussion about making a recurring meeting set every 20 years so people would have a chance to adjust things every generation.

Jefferson was the champion of the idea of re-newing or revising it ever 19-20yr but no one else wanted that.

They thought it'd be too much trouble.

The "living document" part is just that it was open to amendment via votes in Congress and the states which is still true to day. Its just that the vote thresholds are high enough that pulling it off is basically impossible today.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

negativeneil posted:

Worth noting that if past is prologue, the mere consideration by those on the left of taking this type of action against Trump means that the GOP will actually do it in the next cycle.

Aren't most of the suites to get Trump off the ballot being brought to court by Republicans?

I know the CO one was.

And as others have said the R's have been trying poo poo like this for a long time already. I remember there being a few attempts to get Obama off the ballot due to the birth cert nonsense too.

The difference here is there has been some (limited) success in getting Trump off the ballot because he is obviously guilty of some poo poo and everyone with more than half a brain and a vague inclination to follow the rules knows it.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 2, 2024

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Main Paineframe posted:

Contempt is very much a last resort, not a first resort.

And Trump has done a whole lot of things to either push the judges buttons or outright piss in his face.

Anyone else pulling the poo poo he has would've been slapped in jail over a contempt charge and no one would've batted an eye.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mutata posted:

Which they would do regardless.

Yeah this.

No one should give much of a poo poo what the chuds get worked up about or say at this point.

They straight up invent things to get worked up about if there is nothing to misrepresent or lie about anyways.

What does matter is what actions they're taking, if any, to try and pull off another J6. So far they seem to be largely responding poorly and fearfully to J6'ers not only getting locked up but getting increasingly harsher (but still not nearly harsh enough) sentences.

I think they're all waiting to see if Trump can pull off another win. If he does they'll absolutely back him 110% and go full fash. If he loses they'll bitch bitterly about it but largely do nothing.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It just very much seems like this is the can getting kicked down the road yet again in terms of consequences for him.

As others have said there is no shortage of people willing to give Trump money. And while he has probably greatly inflated his wealth he probably is still rich enough to pay off all his lawsuites, even if it meant losing everything but Mar a Lago, and still live a life of luxury until he dies.

Civil court cases that only result in financial penalties were never going to result in actual justice being done to a rich man short of fines being so high they'd put him in a box on the street. Which was never going to happen anyways.

Its criminal court cases that I'm interested in. Those actually have a shot at real consequences for him. Even then he probably won't see the inside of a jail cell but at least his political aspirations for him and his family will be mostly dust.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

OgNar posted:

The tension is rising, walls closing in.
Pants being shat.

And over only 4mo in prison.

If he was a wage earner who might lose his house over being imprisoned and out of work for that long, or perhaps was looking at dying in prison, I could understand but none of that is true for him at all. making GBS threads his pants over a glorified wrist slap for blatantly ignoring subpoenas while making up stuff is ridiculous.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rust Martialis posted:

His lawyers made a reasonable case for a reduction and the court agreed.

No he didn't.

They litterally just begged the court to pretty please reduce the amount, made no case for hardship or bankruptcy, him and his lawyers acted like aggressive assholes throughout much of the court proceedings, and Trump has stated publicly he is good for the whole amount at any time.

Whether or not the latter is bullshit doesn't matter considering his total paper wealth is probably high enough that he could pay out the whole thing if he really wanted to and still live a life of 1%'er luxury until the day he dies.

On top of that Trump's faithful, or the various conservative billionaires who back Right/Fascist assholes like him, will probably end up paying for much if not all of the fine amount anyways. They've already been largely paying all his legal fees to the tune of 10's of millions at least so far!

Its obvious bullshit to everyone with more than half a brain and a speck of honesty. Trying to make this sound reasonable and sensible is not going to do you any favors here.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rust Martialis posted:

Trying to discuss the issue reasonably and sensibly does indeed upset people who aren't interested in reason or sense. I encourage those people to disregard my posts!

There is no way to call Trump's (or the richie riches) continued ability to delay delay delay and/or worm out of punishment reasonable or sensible though.

Its a obviously farcical situation and that is why you're not going to convince anyone otherwise and why others aren't going to respect what you have to say on this issue.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mawarannahr posted:

AP has an article which indicates he is being held to an exceptionally high standard overall, not an exceptionally low one by the relevant law. If the article is accurate, he is being held to a pretty high standard.

The original decision has already been amended by the same judge who massively cut the bond amount and all of that "exceptionally high standard" stuff got rolled back and then some.

Also incredible amounts of fraud, as Trump did, over many years again and again SHOULD get you straight up no holds barred from running a business or owing one by default. IOW its not a exceptionally high standard at all and that it hasn't happened basically ever at all in NY is a sign of the courts in that state failing to do their duty and not how Trump is being unfairly prosecuted here.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

dr_rat posted:

Also it seems to of kept his donations down as well as big donnors don't really seem like they want all the money they're donating to just go directly to his legal fees.

They were down until a month or 2 ago. The big donors were still holding out hope for anyone but Trump. However now that its apparent he is the only one who can make it through the primaries they're starting to throw big money at him to the tune of 10's of millions per month. I think as of March he is now getting $65+ million from them. And that number will go up unfortunately.

Biden is still out raising him by respectable margins, and seems to be spending the money more effectively (so each dollar the D's spend will have more effect), but even with his legal fees so far Trump isn't sucking enough money out of the Repub election machine to sabotage it in any significant way.

So far all you can say is that his meddling with the personnel and pulling money from state level Repub groups probably isn't helping them much but also doesn't seem to be drastically hurting them either.

We probably won't actually know if Trump caused any real lasting harm to the Republican party with his legal expenses and attempts at making the personnel loyal only to him personally until after the elections are over and done with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/29/trump-billionaires-gop-donors/

quote:

The day after a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, billionaire and GOP megadonor Nelson Peltz called the insurrection a “disgrace” and expressed remorse for voting for Donald Trump. “I’m sorry I did that,” Peltz said of supporting Trump in 2020.

But earlier this month, Peltz had breakfast with Trump and other billionaires — including hotelier Steve Wynn, Tesla and X CEO Elon Musk and former Marvel chairman Isaac Perlmutter — at Peltz’s luxurious oceanfront mansion in Palm Beach, Fla., according to people with knowledge of the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private gathering.
“If it starts to look like Trump may win, despite his legal troubles, it is inevitable that Republican businesspeople who have not been fans will open their wallets in self-defense,” said Kathryn Wylde, CEO of the Partnership for New York City, the top lobbying group for major corporations in New York.

Democrats argue that these billionaires are making their personal fortunes their top priority. Biden has promised to raise many taxes on the rich, including the capital gains rate paid on investment income, and impose a new 25 percent tax specifically on billionaires. These efforts were stymied in his first administration, but the president would try again.

“The billionaire class is really threatened by Biden: These guys are about creating a dynasty of wealth for themselves, and hoarding it for their posterity, at the expense of everyone else in society,” said Steve Rosenthal, senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan think tank. “That’s the striking story at the moment.”
Some of these donors are not enthusiastic supporters of Trump — they wanted other candidates and still express misgivings about Trump and his ability to win a general election. “This isn’t a passionate embrace. It’s just reality,” one person close to major donors said. “No one is particularly excited about it.”

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kchama posted:

Consequences don't count unless they are very specific consequences, it seems.

He's de facto being shielded from consequences by all his donors and his lawyers.

Getting fined millions or billions means nothing if other people will pay it for you while there is 0 net effect on your life as a result of that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lammasu posted:

Can't you guys at least find comfort in the fact that Trump is miserable?

He is always miserable. That is why he is such a poo poo head to everyone around him. Has to use his wealth and power to punch down on everyone.

So him being miserable is his status quo and means nothing.

What we want is to see him get real deal punished (prison time IOW) for what he did, or if not that, at least get his chances of winning the presidency taken away.

Temporary emotional anguish caused by having to use his donors money to pay his legal costs isn't going to accomplish either of those things. If anything it'll make him feel better since he knows he is successfully running a giant con job to evade any consequences while whipping his base into ever more fanatical fervor. How couldn't something like that feed his ego? Its a win win win for him.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Murgos posted:

Maybe? Also, it could be Merchan firing a shot across the bow to signal that he has ways of loving with Trump that might be more detrimental to his plans than the benefit he’s getting from violating the gag order?

Not a chance.

Merchan, and apparently most other judges, either don't know how to handle someone like Trump or are terrified of holding him to any standard that sees him get anything even approaching serious* punishment.

Which is exactly the sort've thing anyone else who didn't have his power or money would've faced a long long time ago already if they'd done similar things as he has done.

*and no, fines of hundreds of millions to a billionaire that get paid for by others anyways are not serious punishment. Probably the only way to hurt someone as rich as Trump monetarily is with multi billion dollar fines that immediately wipe them out, to the point where he has to live in a box on the street, and somehow couldn't be paid for by others. Which we all know isn't going to happen. Which is sort've the point.

Actually successfully prosecuting people like Trump and then giving them a punishment sufficiently on par with their crime to be a deterrent to other powerful rich types is so incredibly hard to pull off. So much so that extreme cynicism is the only reasonable stance to take until we actually get to see him locked away for a good long while. Even if it is only a house arrest in a goddamn opulent mansion he owns.

Murgos posted:

The Constitution explicitly states that Presidents can be held criminally liable for Bribery.
As long as the D's can't get a supermajority in both houses, which is likely to be true for a long a time barring a miracle, the court can rule on anything anyway it likes and there is nothing to stop them.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 26, 2024

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Crows Turn Off posted:

When will SCOTUS release their Trump immunity decision?

Supposedly around end of June going by this reuters article.

Looking pretty ugly though. The expectation seems to be that all or most of Trumps criminal trials get pushed to after the election at a minimum, possibly 1 or more get dismissed entirely, and that there'll be some sort've "narrow" ruling protecting him.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 26, 2024

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Oracle posted:

Might want to read up on how Kennedy retired.

Yeah they've been de facto picking their successors for a while.

A strong congress unified in telling SCOTUS to shove it can buck that of course but realistically with today's weak fragmented congress that isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Also a lot of people were kids back when Reagan was in office, flat out didn't pay attention to any politics or anything until they were at least in their late teens or early 20's, on top of being normal willful idiots when it comes to politics.

They're going to remember that time period of being a child when they were being taken care of by their parents as 'the good times' most likely so that'll influence things heavily.

But yeah still mildly bewildering that so many D's have good opinion of him now.