Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Evidence of USB ports" - Rudy, a man who has no idea how technology works.

I laughed so hard at that audio clip. Literally demanding election workers' homes be searched for "any signs of USB ports"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

This? This is what they're trying to refute? Not the other damning stuff? This?

Quibbling over the definition of "lunged" and doing zapruder analysis of the logistics of fighting inside an SUV are good ways to distract the goldfish brains from all the incredibly damning information presented today

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

lol they're trying to pin everything on John Eastman because everything Trump did was "following the advice of counsel"

Trump's lawyer was on NPR today and he just kept saying all of the charged behavior is just Trump exercising his first amendment right to free speech

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think you could make a pretty compelling case that the people who were aggrieved in the cases he's being charged for have standing to challenge a self-pardon.

They can challenge it but the text is pretty clear about when a president can't use a pardon

quote:

The President ... shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of impeachment.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, okay? But I was responding to the post saying he'd appoint an AG who would refuse to press the matter and there'd be no one who could do anything about it. That's clearly wrong since citizens could challenge it.

And I'm really not sure that it would come down to a 6-3 decision.

It wouldn't come down to a 6-3 decision because the SC wouldn't even need to take up the question, the limits on the pardon power are very clear and they don't include anything about 'except in cases involving the president". It's not a murky legal issue at all.

E: the legal remedy the Constitution provides for this obvious injustice is impeachment

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

Yeah, remember that case about the webpage designer who didn't want to do a gay wedding? Well, the 'victim' wasn't even a webpage designer and she wasn't ever asked to design a webpage for a gay wedding. The USSC is supposed to deal with real controversy, not hypotheticals. Did that matter to them? Nope, not one bit.

Same with the Christian Coach who allegedly was fired for praying quietly after the game. Pictures showed him in the middle of the field with all his players around him.

Facts don't matter to this bunch, only the results they want. Funny, I remember Rush Limbaugh railing for years about legislating from the bench. Don't hear that from him now.

He's literally dead

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, once he's elected and wins then his disqualification becomes a nonjusticiable political question. And the USSC never has to risk getting shot at by fringe weirdos.

This was my problem with the justices' theoretical about one state deciding the presidential election. Their proposed remedy, Congress refusing to seat an ineligible election winner, is just as insane and would cause just as much chaos when you're talking about president, senator, etc.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kchama posted:

I couldn't tell you the exact year the person I loved most in the world died without having to think about it because I really don't like thinking about it most of the time because it hurts. I am not an old man in a stressful job.

Yeah, I remember vividly when my brother got in the car accident that would eventually end his life a couple years later, but the exact date of his death isn't something I have any interest in thinking about. I celebrate his birthday every year, thinking about the day he died isn't something I'd like to revisit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Backcountry posted:

Everyone is "allowed" to appeal, but our system is set up to where only those with enough money can afford to appeal.
Thats the problem

It seems like the court accommodating Trump's appeal, regardless of whether he can afford the $475M bond, then would be a step in the right direction? Allow the appeals process to play out regardless of the appellant's financial state?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus chriat, the Republicans on the court really do want "if the president does it, it's legal" to be the actual standard.

ACB sounds extremely skeptical of Trump's lawyer's argument

Justice Beer sounded like he was on Trump's legal team

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alito's entire train of thought today has been completely batshit

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Gorsuch just like ugly laughed lol, like a witch cackle

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I would have agreed with you before I started reading about it today. Now, I'm honestly not sure, they may rule in favor of Trump.

Same. Roberts sounds like he wants to find some technicality to punt it back to the lower courts, Thomas/Alito/Kavanaugh clearly are gonna endorse Trump's position, Gorsuch sounds like he's leaning towards Trump's side, ACB seems like a wildcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I worry the SC is going to hold that official acts are immune, private acts are not, and the test of private/public is open enough that when Jack Smith comes back and says, “ok all these acts were private” trumps lawyers can argue “no they were public, if you look at them this way,” setting off endless rounds of further rulings with appeals with counter rulings with counter appeals ad infinitum. It’s definitely one of the two outcomes Trump’s lawyers want. It seems more likely than a blanket “he’s immune” ruling.

I did personally get eh feeling from listening to the entire hearing that Alito and Thomas were the only ones that, even a little bit, agree with Trump’s position. Even Kavaghana had moments where he was asking questions about how to navigate presidential immunity and would be like, “oh not for this case, no way, but for any future questions on immunity..” everyone seemed extremely skeptical and put on by Trump’s lawyer. Trump’s lawyer also had an explanation for everything and my god was it obvious sometimes the explanations were entirely circular or factually dubious and they didn’t buy them for a second.

One reason I think the SC might not split it into official/personal acts like this is that the supposed deterrent effect on presidential decisions (Alito's scare mongering about a president paralyzed by fear of being prosecuted) would still be there under that scenario. We can't have a president constantly trying to discern whether their actions are personal or not! I feel like they're more likely to just declare total immunity for the presidential term unless impeached+convicted rather than take the half measure.