Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I never have and I've always been too embarrassed to ask. Everybody else seems to just get it, but I don't.

My best guess is that the punchline isn't supposed to be funny and the joke is just an excuse to say the grossest poo poo the teller can think of to the recipient.

My second best guess is that The Aristocrats is a cultural reference that I don't know.

The most shameful part? I've told the joke to people myself. I said horrible, disgusting things to people that I care about and I don't know why. What's even worse is that they laughed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

The aristocrats!

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
What’s the joke

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I never have and I've always been too embarrassed to ask. Everybody else seems to just get it, but I don't.

My best guess is that the punchline isn't supposed to be funny and the joke is just an excuse to say the grossest poo poo the teller can think of to the recipient.

My second best guess is that The Aristocrats is a cultural reference that I don't know.

The most shameful part? I've told the joke to people myself. I said horrible, disgusting things to people that I care about and I don't know why. What's even worse is that they laughed!

the punchline has very little to do with the joke itself, honestly. its just a test of being able to ad-lib your way through something horrible, especially while keeping as straight a face as you can.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
The joke, inasmuch as there is one OP, is that aristocrats (of the traditional titled kind) are known to engage in a lot of incest and other sorts of depravity. There's also a contrast between the high brow name of their performance act and the incredibly lowbrow eating poo poo subject of it. The actual point of the telling of it is the particulars and the game of one-upsmanship between comedians, though.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i like the version where they're all cats

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is it. When it comes down to it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i like the version where they're all cats

The racist caricature Siamese cat is definitely part of :thejoke: somewhere.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

RIP Gilbert, I had him do one of those celebrity video things for my brother last year I would recommend if well yeah

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Imagine learning to dual wield chopsticks to the point of proficiency where you can play improv piano with them but all anyone ever talks about now is how much of a racist caricature you are :wtfdude:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

piss poo poo gently caress rear end the aristocats

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
and then the puddle of cum pooped which created a cumpoop bubble which then vomited poopcum into the puddle making the puddle a poopcum puddle thus completing the ritual

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Sophisticates!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It just works, i don't know what to tell ya

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It's just the disconnect between the extreme act and the bland non-descriptive name I think. Also I've always suspected that it was never really a thing among comedians and was just invented for the movie to see if you could get an audience to watch grownups do what boils down to going "poo poo pee pee."

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

*vomits into bowl made from my own stretched foreskin*

the aristocrats

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

You Are A Elf posted:

they replace it with a scottish fold in the live action and wow i realize now this is the lady and the tramp
and they had multiple racist cariacture siamese cats

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

they replace it with a scottish fold in the live action and wow i realize now this is the lady and the tramp

I've never actually seen Oliver and Company in its entirety but I bet there's at least one in that movie too

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

knock knock

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
basically it's about how the ruling class has committed uncountable atrocities against humanity and needs to be excised immediately

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think this rear end in a top hat expected us all to aristocat him. like buddy you get it. this aint a playpen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well OP it's just like a normal joke except instead of saying something funny you spew stream of consciousnesses vulgarity for a few minutes and then say "the aristocrats".

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Layer 1 - the depraved acts -> aristocrats suck, hell yeah

Layer 2 - this joke sucks -> “the aristocrats” suck, gently caress you and your lovely jokes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Incestuous Bloodfart

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
George Carlin thought “The Sophisticates” was a better name for the joke, according to the documentary about the joke.

The surface level “joke” is that you describe a bunch of gross stuff and then at the end, you reveal the people committing the gross acts as “aristocrats” which really just translates to perceptibly “high brow, very proper” people. But of course, thanks to the joke, you the audience knows that in fact they are not high brow, proper people. They have been inappropriately labeled as proper people when they are actually in fact not proper at all, ha ha ha.

The actual purpose of the joke is just to serve as a cheap but convenient setup that allows the performer to freely describe a bunch of depraved, gross acts to the audience for the reward of watching that audience grimace and gasp because it’s fun to shock people and/or gross them out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 10, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

george carlin is dead!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

That DICK! posted:

george carlin is dead!

Maybe you should describe how he died in your own retelling of a joke called “George Carlin!” in the same style as “The Aristocrats!”

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe you should describe how he died in your own retelling of a joke called “George Carlin!” in the same style as “The Aristocrats!”

George Carlin was raped to death by his parents in front of a talent agent in a bizarre and misguided attempt to get famous.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

BigSexy posted:

What’s the joke

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sid Vicious posted:

Do they sing the “We Are Siamese” song in the remake?

Did not even realize Disney remade Lady and the Tramp.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Aristocrabs!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's about punching up op :dumb:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

"OPs post"

D'Aristocrats

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

George Carlin thought “The Sophisticates” was a better name for the joke, according to the documentary about the joke.

The surface level “joke” is that you describe a bunch of gross stuff and then at the end, you reveal the people committing the gross acts as “aristocrats” which really just translates to perceptibly “high brow, very proper” people. But of course, thanks to the joke, you the audience knows that in fact they are not high brow, proper people. They have been inappropriately labeled as proper people when they are actually in fact not proper at all, ha ha ha.

The actual purpose of the joke is just to serve as a cheap but convenient setup that allows the performer to freely describe a bunch of depraved, gross acts to the audience for the reward of watching that audience grimace and gasp because it’s fun to shock people and/or gross them out.

Has anyone done an ironic aristocrats routine where all of the acts described are completely harmless/wholesome? I feel like that would be the next step. At the end instead of calling it The Aristocrats you could pull another switcheroo and call it The Buttfuckers or something to maintain the title-content dissonance except the other way around.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

My favorite variation on this theme is:

Two whales are swimming in the ocean when the first whale turns to the other one and says:

[Assorted whale sounds for as long as you possibly can]

The second whale looks at him and says "Man, you're loving hiiigh."

Edit: actually that's my second favorite. My favorite is about a pirate describing his various injuries.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

That DICK! posted:

george carlin is dead!

right in the middle of the act, but they aren't stopping

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
...The proletariat!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ben shapino posted:

knock knock

who is there?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The punchline is a real punchline, you guys. It's social commentary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

The punchline is a real punchline, you guys. It's social commentary!

To get to the other side!