Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a test for comedians and their delivery. If you've ever seen someone try to tell an Aristocrats joke in person who has a poor sense of comedic timing and delivery it just comes off creepy and weird. It's a sink or swim joke. If you can make people laugh you're good, if you can't, you aren't.

I wouldn't tell an Aristocrats joke, there's no one I could without it being loving weird and creeping people out. I know my comedic limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's not your comedic ability buddy, it's the aristocrats keeping you down!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
It’s a good example of a joke where the journey is meant to be better than it’s destination. In a way, the more outlandish and gross you make the body of the joke, the more it juxtaposes against the the underwhelming vaudevillian punchline. So you’re creating that friction between the excessive lewdness of the present and the tame punchline of the past.

Comedy is all about exaggeration and surprise, and the Aristocrats embodies that pretty well. You have this insanely exaggerated setup that leads to a surprise anti-joke punchline.

In this case, if you think about the reaction you want from your audience, it makes more sense to have them laugh as hard as possible at the setup because there’s no way you can stick a punchline at the end of the Aristocrats that would make someone laugh even harder than they did during the setup. So rather than having the audience give a forced pity chuckle at a flat punchline you’ve spent five or ten minutes building up to, you go fully anti joke with it so you end with the audience saying, “WHAT!?” Confused exclamations are a better reaction than silence.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It's also funny because aristocrats are superficially concidered to be prim and proper but if you know anything about history you realize they're by and large some of the most depraved and hosed up assholes that exist.

So it's like, funny on 2 levels.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ok but really who are the aristocrats? its as easy as following the money... do your own research.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Knock knock

Who's there?

The aristocrats and they're dressed like Hitler and seig heil-ing and saying the N-word and other slurs ALOT. Also they are loving each other and making GBS threads while theyre loving and a few of them are related and one of them gave birth while loving and the other one stomped it and ate it and then said something really disparaging about Mexicans.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 10, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If someone ever tells you knock knock tell them that you open the door, take the joke away from them

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Here's a good joke from Norm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN9mBRX3uo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can say whatever vile things lurk deep within your soul and it is all fine as long as you say those two words. It is like letting out a personality fart and then pardoning yourself.

Everyone's posting is dumb and silly and I don't like it The Aristocrats! :twisted:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also "It's a work in progress" when you get to name the act is way funnier and makes a lot more sense to most people because it implies it can get worse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GreatGreen posted:

George Carlin thought “The Sophisticates” was a better name for the joke, according to the documentary about the joke.

The surface level “joke” is that you describe a bunch of gross stuff and then at the end, you reveal the people committing the gross acts as “aristocrats” which really just translates to perceptibly “high brow, very proper” people. But of course, thanks to the joke, you the audience knows that in fact they are not high brow, proper people. They have been inappropriately labeled as proper people when they are actually in fact not proper at all, ha ha ha.

The actual purpose of the joke is just to serve as a cheap but convenient setup that allows the performer to freely describe a bunch of depraved, gross acts to the audience for the reward of watching that audience grimace and gasp because it’s fun to shock people and/or gross them out.

That makes sense. The problem is none of that is inherently funny since like 1913

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
ive never laughed at a telling of the aristocrats

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its a joke for weird pasty theatre kids

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It seems like with all these different and convoluted explanations for the joke that maybe nobody really gets it and that, like me, you were all just too embarrassed to admit it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It seems like with all these different and convoluted explanations for the joke that maybe nobody really gets it and that, like me, you were all just too embarrassed to admit it.

How about this, OP? I think you understand the joke perfectly. Therefore your logic fails and I am not embarrassed about this.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Devils Affricate posted:

Has anyone done an ironic aristocrats routine where all of the acts described are completely harmless/wholesome? I feel like that would be the next step. At the end instead of calling it The Aristocrats you could pull another switcheroo and call it The Buttfuckers or something to maintain the title-content dissonance except the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfaKld5ahfw

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 10, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

:lol:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Devils Affricate posted:

How about this, OP? I think you understand the joke perfectly. Therefore your logic fails and I am not embarrassed about this.

What are you insinuating?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

What are you insinuating?

You get the joke. It's funny to you. You can't stop laughing about it.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
the one time we needed jimmyjams to snipe a thread and he isn't even here

shameful

Pastel Candy Snake fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a test for comedians and their delivery. If you've ever seen someone try to tell an Aristocrats joke in person who has a poor sense of comedic timing and delivery it just comes off creepy and weird. It's a sink or swim joke. If you can make people laugh you're good, if you can't, you aren't.

I wouldn't tell an Aristocrats joke, there's no one I could without it being loving weird and creeping people out. I know my comedic limits.

I have had people get mad at me for just referencing a particular joke with the punchline "With God's help and a stick..."

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I played the clip of Gilbert Gottfried doing The Aristocrats to a couple of friends, and laughed all the way through it. They didn't laugh at all. I asked them why and they said because they have children of their own.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hit a person with a baseball bat and then tell them they are stupid for letting it happen, op.

You know who else physically beats down their lessers while gloating over them?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if you don't get the joke it means that you're the aristocrat op

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

I played the clip of Gilbert Gottfried doing The Aristocrats to a couple of friends, and laughed all the way through it. They didn't laugh at all. I asked them why and they said because they have children of their own.

loving lmao

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

That means they can do their own performance of The Aristocrats!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Thanks for asking the question, OP. I never really got it, either.

but basically a comedian describes some raunchy, narsty stuff going on with some people. Like loving a pig, and then pegging a fuckboi, and peeing from the balcony on the pegger, pigger, and fuckboi. Then the comedian goes "The Aristocrats!" implying that the upper nobility do nasty poo poo. making fun of the upper class.

from everything I can tell. Thanks FSFD.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My grandma finds the joke funny but she's in her 80s and for some reason poop and sex humor tends to be funnier the closer you are to death

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Aesop Poprock posted:

My grandma finds the joke funny but she's in her 80s and for some reason poop and sex humor tends to be funnier the closer you are to death

I must be mere hours from death then.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Poohs Packin posted:

Knock knock

Who's there?

The aristocrats and they're dressed like Hitler and seig heil-ing and saying the N-word and other slurs ALOT. Also they are loving each other and making GBS threads while theyre loving and a few of them are related and one of them gave birth while loving and the other one stomped it and ate it and then said something really disparaging about Mexicans.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Devils Affricate posted:

Has anyone done an ironic aristocrats routine where all of the acts described are completely harmless/wholesome? I feel like that would be the next step. At the end instead of calling it The Aristocrats you could pull another switcheroo and call it The Buttfuckers or something to maintain the title-content dissonance except the other way around.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

pee pee poo poo the aristocrats

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The adicktosucks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BigBadSteve posted:

If you have children then you aren't able to laugh at dirty jokes anymore.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I must be mere hours from death then.

God bless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If you have children then you aren't able to laugh at dirty jokes anymore.

My parents convinced me that the word for fart was "foof" and that shoot was a swear word I guess just to make sure I was extremely embarrassed once I was exposed to children who had older siblings and knew better

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How Christian was your family?

tbh I was like 7 and we moved into a new house and my mom asked me how I liked it and I got upset and said "IT SUCKS!" and omg her face lit up in a bad way.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not religious at all. My mom's favorite term when something goes wrong is "poo poo balls" so I don't know why I got the closeted upbringing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
"Aristocrat" is kind of an old-timey word at this point and makes people think there might be some context that they're missing. Also, a lot of people's idea of an "aristocrat" being a snobby prim and proper Monopoly guy is so unshakable that the punchline will just come off random, or even that the joke is "political."