Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not religious at all. My mom's favorite term when something goes wrong is "poo poo balls" so I don't know why I got the closeted upbringing

GenX/Older millennial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

"Aristocrat" is kind of an old-timey word at this point and makes people think there might be some context that they're missing. Also, a lot of people's idea of an "aristocrat" being a snobby prim and proper Monopoly guy is so unshakable that the punchline will just come off random, or even that the joke is "political."

I’m reminded of the prison dinner scene in Goodfellas whenever “aristocrat” is brought up.

“Medium rare. Hmm, an aristocrat.”

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

"Aristocrat" is kind of an old-timey word at this point and makes people think there might be some context that they're missing. Also, a lot of people's idea of an "aristocrat" being a snobby prim and proper Monopoly guy is so unshakable that the punchline will just come off random, or even that the joke is "political."

I think this is right. I don't think the joke is or was ever intended to be some kind of meta commentary about how the world's most elite society is actually made of monsters or whatever. It really is just a puddle-deep "it's funny because it's not true" kind of dumb joke.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

GreatGreen posted:

I think this is right. I don't think the joke is or was ever intended to be some kind of meta commentary about how the world's most elite society is actually made of monsters or whatever. It really is just a puddle-deep "it's funny because it's not true" kind of dumb joke.

It’s funny because it’s disgusting.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s funny because it’s disgusting.

Yes, that is the other of the two aspects of the joke that are supposed to be funny.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

GreatGreen posted:

Most folks' understanding of class has always been iffy. A recent-times example is how "bougie" tends to mean fancy and high class when the word it comes from "bourgeois" means boring and middle class.

Edit: Well they're both used derisively for "pretentious and materialistic," but 'bougie' comes with the understanding that it's a genuine attitude of fanciness and high status while 'bourgeois' looks at it as being crass and cheap, lacking in imagination.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 11, 2022

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It seems like with all these different and convoluted explanations for the joke that maybe nobody really gets it and that, like me, you were all just too embarrassed to admit it.

Actually everyone's explanations have been pretty consistent, funny because it's gross and because of the dissonance of the aristocrats mention at the end. I don't know how you still don't get it. Maybe you're overthinking it.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
it's an inside joke among comedians of a certain era except with notoriety. if you think it's funny you're an outsider trying to deconstruct and understand comedy. if you don't get it you're the mark. it's no more simple or difficult to understand than that really.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 11, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The two comedians most famous for telling the joke both died within a few months of each other earlier this year. Isn't that a little odd?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

GenX/Older millennial?

I don't know. My dad was born in 1960 and my mom was born in 1966 so whatever that falls under

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

it's an inside joke among comedians of a certain era except with notoriety. if you think it's funny you're an outsider trying to deconstruct and understand comedy. if you don't get it you're the mark. it's no more simple or difficult to understand than that really.

Tbf all those comedians were in a super pretentious documentary about the joke so if that's not overthinking it I'm not sure what is

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wait there being a documentary about the joke wasn't a joke?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not only that but loving Penn Jillette produced it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well I'm not watching it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I guess if you're very, very stupid I suppose

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You can only understand the joke if you experience everything mentioned in it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

happyhippy posted:

You can only understand the joke if you experience everything mentioned in it.

I'm down

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Reading some of the stuff in this thread is like re-reading the discussion in The Simpsons thread about Ralph saying 'Sleep! That's where I'm a viking!', and multiple people literally did not understand that it meant Ralph dreams about being a viking. Even when the person who WROTE THE LINE said "It means Ralph dreams about being a viking, how do you not get this?" on Twitter people STILL applied some hosed up abstract meaning to it.

No. You're just really, really stupid people.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 11, 2022

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not only that but loving Penn Jillette produced it

He and Paul Provenza directed it actually. Don’t watch if you were ever raped by Joe Franklin.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol some goons are dumber than Ralph Wiggum

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

lol some goons are dumber than Ralph Wiggum

Do you mean those of us who like the joke or those of us who don’t?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It seems like with all these different and convoluted explanations for the joke that maybe nobody really gets it and that, like me, you were all just too embarrassed to admit it.

there's really not a lot to understand about people loving around at work to make each other laugh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

He and Paul Provenza directed it actually. Don’t watch if you were ever raped by Joe Franklin.

Ah yes noted famous skeptic Paul Provenza (I have no idea who this dude is)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ah yes noted famous skeptic Paul Provenza (I have no idea who this dude is)

he's one of those dudes that was famous on the brick wall 80's and early 90's standup circuit like Maron, except he never had a second wind

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

My favorite variation on this theme is:

Two whales are swimming in the ocean when the first whale turns to the other one and says:

[Assorted whale sounds for as long as you possibly can]

The second whale looks at him and says "Man, you're loving hiiigh."

Edit: actually that's my second favorite. My favorite is about a pirate describing his various injuries.

i got actually yelled at at work for telling what had to be an almost 10 minute long version of the "I think I'm serving a youthful porpoise" joke to a bunch of people, extremely worth it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i got actually yelled at at work for telling what had to be an almost 10 minute long version of the "I think I'm serving a youthful porpoise" joke to a bunch of people, extremely worth it

I've gotten big laughs out of rambling the moth joke at bars and work a few times, feels good

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I told the entire Moth joke from Norm Mcdonald to all of Taylor Swift's dancers once and they listened politely but I could tell they were on the verge of going insane from it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

I've gotten big laughs out of rambling the moth joke at bars and work a few times, feels good

Lol hell yeah

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Reading some of the stuff in this thread is like re-reading the discussion in The Simpsons thread about Ralph saying 'Sleep! That's where I'm a viking!', and multiple people literally did not understand that it meant Ralph dreams about being a viking. Even when the person who WROTE THE LINE said "It means Ralph dreams about being a viking, how do you not get this?" on Twitter people STILL applied some hosed up abstract meaning to it.

No. You're just really, really stupid people.

I thought it was some expression meaning he's really good at sleeping.

Although I've never heard anyone else ever say they are a "viking" at something.

Maybe I'll start and in 20 years it will enter common parlance further muddying peoples interpretation of the joke and rendering BBCs post INCORRECT.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

I thought it was some expression meaning he's really good at sleeping.

Although I've never heard anyone else ever say they are a "viking" at something.

Maybe I'll start and in 20 years it will enter common parlance further muddying peoples interpretation of the joke and rendering BBCs post INCORRECT.

Yeah that's loving stupid.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Being purposefully obtuse? That's where I'm a viking!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

Being purposefully obtuse? That's where I'm a viking!

Lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Forums poster Metis not only told this joke but he willed it into existence.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
No one knows why the joke "the arisocrats" is funny, but more and more scientists now believe there is a genetically hardwired pathway in the brain to make humans laugh when they hear the words of that monolog uttered in specific sequences, much like a chicken can be hypnotized by drawing a line on the ground in front of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more that comedians are extremely depressed human beings and most of the people who shared the joke are now dead

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like Norm knew he was dying when he was doing this bit

[video type=""]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHj4x1JudU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wow that's some pretty unfunny poo poo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer