Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a thread for discussing the upcoming Fire Emblem Warriors game coming out June 24, 2022, which appears to be a sort of an alternate universe take on the story of Three Houses with a new idiot mercenary as protagonist.

You can choose to follow the Black Eagles, Blue Lions or Golden Deer for three unique story paths. All the students will be playable, including the Ashen Wolves, and a lot of the other supporting cast too.

The demo is out now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91wvxXAEXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I take it this thread is Chez Shez?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I take it this thread is Chez Shez?

Thank you for suggesting a MUCH better name

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
framblem

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shez.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Shez.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shez.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Game is officially a failure is we are not given the chance to make Shez and Byleth kiss, imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thread title should be "Shez!"

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ignatz goes from tepid to surprisingly good Mage once he unlocks the Cutting Gale spell. Nothing is like having two wind blades rotating around you and protecting your rear end and taking you from easily ganged upon by officers to easily catching all of them in a Critical Rush.

Lorenz is also a standout. His Unique Action is surprisingly useful to continue your attack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Leonie's passive is utterly absurd and lets you do ridiculous Devil May Cry combos out of the box.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

To save this thread from months of tedious discourse on the subject I'd like to establish from the get go that Edelgard is objectively correct and everyone who opposes her is wrong and bad. This is all that needs to be said on the subject, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pureauthor posted:

Game is officially a failure is we are not given the chance to make Shez and Byleth kiss, imo.

Yet. We are not allowed to make them kiss yet. However I still want Edelgard to kiss Byleth. Shez should kiss Monica who is my favorite new character.

The Shortest Path posted:

To save this thread from months of tedious discourse on the subject I'd like to establish from the get go that Edelgard is objectively correct and everyone who opposes her is wrong and bad. This is all that needs to be said on the subject, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

:hmmyes:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So I definitely haven't tried everything yet in the demo but I did just upgrade the Brigid gal to Thief and holy heck that is a fun moveset for her.

I have heard there's been some datamining and it's been determined that (length-wise) each route will have about 15 chapters, with some number of extra missions not associated with any chapter that may or may not be extra content or may just be leftover data? The first few chapters seem kinda short on actual gameplay vs story but it looks like there's more missions available in chapters once you get past the timeskip?

Also I like the special move/weapon durability system, since it auto-recovers after each mission and can be recovered mid-mission through drops. Helps mix things up nicely.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 10, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ElegantFugue posted:

So I definitely haven't tried everything yet in the demo but I did just upgrade the Brigid gal to Thief and holy heck that is a fun moveset for her.

I have heard there's been some datamining and it's been determined that (length-wise) each route will have about 15 chapters, with some number of extra missions not associated with any chapter that may or may not be extra content or may just be leftover data? The first few chapters seem kinda short on actual gameplay vs story but it looks like there's more missions available in chapters once you get past the timeskip?

Also I like the special move/weapon durability system, since it auto-recovers after each mission and can be recovered mid-mission through drops. Helps mix things up nicely.

Huh. Genuinely surprised that there doesn't appear to be an extra route for clearing all 45 chapters. That just seems standard for this kind of game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There are three missions in just Scarlet Blaze that aren't the main target so I don't think we're gonna want for maps and gameplay if even half the chapters don't have the same structure.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Huh. Genuinely surprised that there doesn't appear to be an extra route for clearing all 45 chapters. That just seems standard for this kind of game.
This is Koei Tecmo and a Warriors Game so I wonder how much stuff is going end up as DLC down the line

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just want to grind because of my lizard brain

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ingrid on her Pegasus absolutely slays and was probably my favorite character to play with on the lions, especially with the addition of ice to her attacks

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
it kind of freaked me out that the demo pulled my byleths name from the three houses save file.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If I had one complaint so far, it's that the game does that thing where the dialogue options it gives you don't tell you the actual words Shez is going to say, leading to the potential for a mismatch in tone and implications from what you were expecting. I haven't gotten burned too badly by it yet, but it's still annoying.

Also that I jumped straight into this after having just picked Age of Calamity back up a few weeks ago, and the lack of tactical urgency in that has made me extremely complacent wrt making use of all my options and prioritizing objectives efficiently. That's 100% a me problem, though.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
so is there going to be a ng+ or do you suppose time travel shenanigans for doing the other stories?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Party Miser posted:

so is there going to be a ng+ or do you suppose time travel shenanigans for doing the other stories?

Datamines found a NG+ although I didn't check the specifics for how it will work.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ElegantFugue posted:

Yeah thief Petra is ridiculous, just absolutely juggles the hell out of whole rooms.

In regards to the datamine, the caveat the group I saw doing it put out was that a) the devs actually did way better job than most in scrubbing a lot of main game data and references out of the demo, and b) Koei-Techmo games are notoriously difficult to datamine, so all we have now are extremely basic stuff like the names of chapters and achievements. Maybe there's more that will get teased out but honestly at this point we're all just waiting for the full game to drop, only two weeks out.

e. lol as I say it looks like some more info dropped this morning. Spoilers on additional potentially playable units: Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeralt, and... the Gatekeeper (lol) all have likes and dislikes implying they have a roster page. Meal/Tea Party dialogue has specifically been found for Seteth and Jeralt so it's almost a lock they're eventually recruitable.

Here's the running google doc the data miners are using if you want to follow the progress: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1da5Ds2ppXrnPVTreR2t2820KLTdma1FyxPJBcrizPno

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 10, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Girl Shez is hot

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Girl Shez is hot

:hmmyes:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I wish I enjoyed the actual gameplay of Warriors games because this game looks like it's packed to the gills with more worldbuilding, character development, and cool stuff for the people and world of Fodlan.

In a couple months I'll probably watch the movie version of the game someone will undoubtedly upload to youtube.

I'm glad that Shez actually seems to have a lot of character and personality, though! A welcome departure from Byleth. And given that Byleth has been voiced in the trailers that we've seen so far, maybe they will get a bunch of development too, which would be pretty rad!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It would be extremely wierd for a Warriors game to only allow 1/3 of the cast to play together at a time, so I'm wondering if the NG+ will allow you to pick a different house but access your units from your previous playthrough's house.

It would be huge a missed opportunity if they left out the alt-scenario levels these games tend to have as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It would be extremely wierd for a Warriors game to only allow 1/3 of the cast to play together at a time, so I'm wondering if the NG+ will allow you to pick a different house but access your units from your previous playthrough's house.

It would be huge a missed opportunity if they left out the alt-scenario levels these games tend to have as well.

It probably has a massive map or free mode. Most of the data's been scrubbed from the demo so we only got snippits.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Carlosologist posted:

Girl Shez is hot

:yeah:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

Spoilers on additional potentially playable units: Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeralt, and... the Gatekeeper (lol) all have likes and dislikes implying they have a roster page. Meal/Tea Party dialogue has specifically been found for Seteth and Jeralt so it's almost a lock they're eventually recruitable.

Yesssssssssss

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So as far as recruitable characters from 3 Houses the only ones who we don’t know anything about playability-wise are Manuela, Hanneman, Alois and Cyril? The first three appear in the prologue I have to imagine they’ll pop back up at some point. I also bet Cyril shows up in the Deer story at some point give he’s one of the only Almyran characters in 3H and has a connection to House Goneril.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

So as far as recruitable characters from 3 Houses the only ones who we don’t know anything about playability-wise are Manuela, Hanneman, Alois and Cyril? The first three appear in the prologue I have to imagine they’ll pop back up at some point. I also bet Cyril shows up in the Deer story at some point give he’s one of the only Almyran characters in 3H and has a connection to House Goneril.

Manuela is playable in the demo on Crimson Blaze, she joins up after the timeskip. She even has supports with Jeritza which is great. Hanneman is also in camp as an NPC on the same route but isn't in your roster. Nothing out of the datamine so far seems to point to Alois or Cyril as playable but there are at least three confirmed playable characters who haven't been identified yet so we don't quite know everybody yet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Played the demo and was genuinely shocked to learn Monica and Kronya are different people (are we spoilering things in the demo? Feels like plot revelations within the prologue would be fair game, but maybe not!). I think it helps soften Edelgard quite a bit to show her risking her whole plan to save one friend, and also retroactively makes her seem even more stone cold that she could handle acting natural around one of her "allies wearing a skin-suit of someone who admired her so much. Edelgard's coming off as a lot less dark and "ends justify the means" this time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, we're spoilering demo stuff? I figured that would be fair game and just datamine stuff should be spoilered, but sure.

Manuela is playable in the demo, on the Edelgard route, and that same route has Hanneman hanging around camp saying he's busy doing NPC stuff but will be playable in a later chapter.

Dolash posted:

Played the demo and was genuinely shocked to learn Monica and Kronya are different people (are we spoilering things in the demo? Feels like plot revelations within the prologue would be fair game, but maybe not!). I think it helps soften Edelgard quite a bit to show her risking her whole plan to save one friend, and also retroactively makes her seem even more stone cold that she could handle acting natural around one of her "allies wearing a skin-suit of someone who admired her so much. Edelgard's coming off as a lot less dark and "ends justify the means" this time.

I always assumed Edelgard had no idea her Monica was a changeling. It never really made total sense to me either way, either Edelgard spent a whole lot of time doing Slithery schemes with this minor character, or Edelgard was really callous about letting her girlfriend's dad get murdered by her schemes. I think Three Hopes ties them up quite nice; the real Monica was an aspiring Hubert, and thus her fake is allowed to Hubert without arousing Eddy's suspicions.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 10, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, we're spoilering demo stuff? I figured that would be fair game and just datamine stuff should be spoilered, but sure.

Manuela is playable in the demo, on the Edelgard route, and that same route has Hanneman hanging around camp saying he's busy doing NPC stuff but will be playable in a later chapter.

I always assumed Edelgard had no idea her Monica was a changeling. It never really made total sense to me either way, either Edelgard spent a whole lot of time doing Slithery schemes with this minor character, or Edelgard was really callous about letting her girlfriend's dad get murdered by her schemes. I think Three Hopes ties them up quite nice; the real Monica was an aspiring Hubert, and thus her fake is allowed to Hubert without arousing Eddy's suspicions.

I got the other assumption Kronya wasn't even bothering to try and act like Monica. It only worked because she had a gun to Edelgard's head and the faculty never paid much attention in the first place or chalked it up to ~trauma~.

And it's interesting the different perceptions on Edelgard because my take from the demo is that this is the cold, ruthless, and calculating Edelgard we never got to see because Byleth made her friends with the other Eagles and she was head over heels for Byleth. I actually really liked how different she felt from the Edelgard of Crimson Flower, but is still the same character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's implications that there's recruitment mechanics too, at least with the Ashen Wolves. Also Gatekeeper is currently in the Crimsom Blaze faction, but not playable in the demo. Time will tell if he turns out playable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Allarion posted:

There's implications that there's recruitment mechanics too, at least with the Ashen Wolves. Also Gatekeeper is currently in the Crimsom Blaze faction, but not playable in the demo. Time will tell if he turns out playable.

Prime DLC target. One of the few given just how many people are here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DLC should be Dad-loadable content and just be Alois and every dad who isn’t already playable (ala Rodrigue). Honestly the lions route is kinda light on dads so far aside from him and Gilbert and a brief cameo from Margrave Gautier. Still gotta see Lonato and Lord Galatea and maybe the elder Martriz, plus I hope we’ll get a bit of a glimpse into Dedue’s life pre-Tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

And it's interesting the different perceptions on Edelgard because my take from the demo is that this is the cold, ruthless, and calculating Edelgard we never got to see because Byleth made her friends with the other Eagles and she was head over heels for Byleth. I actually really liked how different she felt from the Edelgard of Crimson Flower, but is still the same character.

I really liked the detail that this time around rather than just coming right out with "death to the church!" and turning the whole world against here, Edelgard set up a new Southern Church with a bishop she had under her thumb and then justified the war as overthrowing the corrupt Central Church, effectively creating a religious schism. It's a way smarter way to go about her plan than immediately throwing down the gauntlet that the thousand year old religion is a lie.

Also Crimson Blaze cements that Edelgard was only ever working with the slithers because they had her cornered and here the second they slip up and give her a chance to turn the tables she takes it, even if it means throwing out all the careful planning she and Hubert had put together.