Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It would be kind of funny if the plot is that Byleth started doing time shenanigans to make everyone happy together and went crazy as they slowly realized that actually their presence actively made things worse (Dimitri goes full-boar crazy when he thinks they’re dead, Edelgard’s strategies get worse when she’s lovestruck, Claude’s laid-back vibe gets overtaken by dumb church bullshit) and has vowed to keep going though timelines until they find one where they are not a stick in the machine like some sort of magic Terminator who has apparently stumbled upon Shez as their John Conner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jeritza being the third professor instead of Byleth really just solves a lot of issues.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jeritza being the third professor instead of Byleth really just solves a lot of issues.

He's so entertaining now that I don't have to keep blowing him to bits with Dark Spikes T.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up we don't get to have him in that role for a full school year.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I see the chain of events that lead to Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire, but what exactly was the catalyst for Dimitri's stuff? Rufus going full despot and straight up admitting he did all the war crimes obviously didn't happen in Three Houses, or at least the latter didn't. It's not even a cascade effect of the Edelgard stuff because Cornelia is there after all of the non-Fhirdiad fighting has been handled off-screen and she still doesn't know what happened in Enbarr.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DC Murderverse posted:

It would be kind of funny if the plot is that Byleth started doing time shenanigans to make everyone happy together and went crazy as they slowly realized that actually their presence actively made things worse (Dimitri goes full-boar crazy when he thinks they’re dead, Edelgard’s strategies get worse when she’s lovestruck, Claude’s laid-back vibe gets overtaken by dumb church bullshit) and has vowed to keep going though timelines until they find one where they are not a stick in the machine like some sort of magic Terminator who has apparently stumbled upon Shez as their John Conner

I would accept that if the ending is Shez's dumbassness pulling Byleth out of it so she and Edelgard can be gay together. :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sydin posted:

Yeah thief Petra is ridiculous, just absolutely juggles the hell out of whole rooms.

In regards to the datamine, the caveat the group I saw doing it put out was that a) the devs actually did way better job than most in scrubbing a lot of main game data and references out of the demo, and b) Koei-Techmo games are notoriously difficult to datamine, so all we have now are extremely basic stuff like the names of chapters and achievements. Maybe there's more that will get teased out but honestly at this point we're all just waiting for the full game to drop, only two weeks out.

e. lol as I say it looks like some more info dropped this morning. Spoilers on additional potentially playable units: Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeralt, and... the Gatekeeper (lol) all have likes and dislikes implying they have a roster page. Meal/Tea Party dialogue has specifically been found for Seteth and Jeralt so it's almost a lock they're eventually recruitable.

Here's the running google doc the data miners are using if you want to follow the progress: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1da5Ds2ppXrnPVTreR2t2820KLTdma1FyxPJBcrizPno

On Jeralt, don't necessarily be so sure. Three Houses itself is an example. Man had a tea scene and voiced dialogue in data.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how in Scarlet Blaze we over throw the government in Chapter 3 :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I see the chain of events that lead to Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire, but what exactly was the catalyst for Dimitri's stuff? Rufus going full despot and straight up admitting he did all the war crimes obviously didn't happen in Three Houses, or at least the latter didn't. It's not even a cascade effect of the Edelgard stuff because Cornelia is there after all of the non-Fhirdiad fighting has been handled off-screen and she still doesn't know what happened in Enbarr.

Rufus made a play for the throne, assisted by Cornelia. He always had a claim to it as the older brother of the previous king but he publicly made the accusation that the House of Fraldarius was going to use Dimitri as a puppet to suit their own ends once he ascended to the throne, and that Rufus was the true king and would be a better one since he’s already been regent. Basically a coup, which is different from Azure Moon because there Cornelia killed Rufus herself and framed Dimitri.

Edit: I found further proof for my “Byleth makes everything worse” theory: Sylvain is no longer a hoe!

https://twitter.com/buschtrottel/status/1535296180401348609?s=21&t=iFAF9qiUuazjb3h-5QubgA

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 11, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sylvain is one of the most fun characters to play in this. Make him a thief and abuse his 'my range goes up as I get more hits' to clear entire rooms and accidentally guard break people you didn't even see behind you.

He is also absurdly good with fist weapons due to his increased range.

Amusingly, lances seem to be the second worst weapons to take advantage of this (the worst being magic, since it doesn't seem to benefit at all).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I haven't played a Musou game since the PS2 so I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I am enjoying it. I wasn't so sure about it until they let you go to the practice field and actually play around with your people--I feel like they throw a lot of mechanics at you in the first two battles. I feel like my only complaint is that I want to be able to switch characters while I'm looking at the map, I always feel like I'm slowing things down when I send people off in every direction and then I cycle through them to try to find who I'm looking to play.

And you get to hear Dorothea sing more in her C support, so that's nice.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OzFactor posted:

I feel like my only complaint is that I want to be able to switch characters while I'm looking at the map, I always feel like I'm slowing things down when I send people off in every direction and then I cycle through them to try to find who I'm looking to play.

You can, actually! It's under the zr menu when you're hovered over them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only thing I haven't figured out is how the hell you're supposed to build up Shez's transformation meter. I've run whole missions where I just play Shez and functionally solo the map and still end up only half-way to getting a transformation.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sydin posted:

The only thing I haven't figured out is how the hell you're supposed to build up Shez's transformation meter. I've run whole missions where I just play Shez and functionally solo the map and still end up only half-way to getting a transformation.

Look for blue pots on the map. They give about 75% of rhe bar per pot, and every map has at least 1. Some have 2 and one of them even had 4.

Overall it builds super slow though yeah.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I figure that there's going to be a combination of things that make awakenings easier to trigger as the game goes on, food buffs and skills that increase your meter gain and longer battles in general.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KittyEmpress posted:

Look for blue pots on the map. They give about 75% of rhe bar per pot, and every map has at least 1. Some have 2 and one of them even had 4.

Overall it builds super slow though yeah.

Ah there you go, cheers. I'll keep a lookout next time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Carlosologist posted:

I like how in Scarlet Blaze we over throw the government in Chapter 3 :v:

My guess, not having looked at any of the datamining stuff that's out there, is that this time the three different routes are before the midgame and they'll come together for a combined route for the latter half. As such, the first half might be a speed run of many of the events of the war from Tree Houses, the same way the school stuff got condensed down to two battles.

Might explain how they'll handle "recruitment", if they're just divvied up for the first half then everyone's available for the second half. I haven't played through all three routes offered in the demo yet, but the impression I've got so far is that they may not be mutually exclusive - that is, aside from Shed joining a different side, they might all be happening simultaneously.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 11, 2022

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Cattail Prophet posted:

You can, actually! It's under the zr menu when you're hovered over them.

Well now I have no complaints at all!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
My complaint is that mages play like rear end in this game. And there's like 1/3 of the cast are mages.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Dolash posted:

My guess, not having looked at any of the datamining stuff that's out there, is that this time the three different routes are before the midgame and they'll come together for a combined route for the latter half. As such, the first half might be a speed run of many of the events of the war from Tree Houses, the same way the school stuff got condensed down to two battles.

Might explain how they'll handle "recruitment", if they're just divvied up for the first half then everyone's available for the second half. I haven't played through all three routes offered in the demo yet, but the impression I've got so far is that they may not be mutually exclusive - that is, aside from Shed joining a different side, they might all be happening simultaneously.

The demo ends just before the first clash, so we can't be sure. Dimitri's forces are going to fight some of Edelgard's group from what the dialogue suggests.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In Scarlet Blaze before Edelgard's coup, Arundel tells his subordinates to warn Cornelia, so hearing of his failure probably escalated her plans. It's not immediately obvious if you haven't played Dimitri's route first, because he uses Cornelia's real name, which as far as I know is only revealed there. And gender, apparently the Slither playing her is actually male.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

The demo ends just before the first clash, so we can't be sure. Dimitri's forces are going to fight some of Edelgard's group from what the dialogue suggests.

In Scarlet Blaze before Edelgard's coup, Arundel tells his subordinates to warn Cornelia, so hearing of his failure probably escalated her plans. It's not immediately obvious if you haven't played Dimitri's route first, because he uses Cornelia's real name, which as far as I know is only revealed there. And gender, apparently the Slither playing her is actually male.

I found that last detail very interesting!

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

My complaint is that mages play like rear end in this game. And there's like 1/3 of the cast are mages.

Mage Hubert seems fine enough with his personal skill giving him a free AoE juggle on command, plus Monica's book that gives him a durable weapon that allows him to use spells reasonably.

Priest seems completely unusable for sure, though, I have no idea how to make that class work.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I also found my only complaint about this game on the Black Eagle route: Bernie and Hubert only get a C support. This is completely unacceptable. Felix and Annette also only go up to B.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mage and Priest function at least but they're not good. I was playing a lot of Mercedes and she functioned well enough to S rank most maps, but going back in with a thief Sylvain or ingrid as a Pegasus you can feel the stark difference in power.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cloacamazing! posted:

I also found my only complaint about this game on the Black Eagle route: Bernie and Hubert only get a C support. This is completely unacceptable. Felix and Annette also only go up to B.
what the gently caress

is this even the golden route if they cant get married???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Extremely funny that the BE's already have three preferred mages in Dorothea, Lindhart, and Hubert, and instead of making Monica's preferred class something that actually fills a niche within the BE's like flyer where they're sorely lacking, it's just "lol here's your fourth caster, with a unique tome to boot so you feel even worse about reclassing her!" :downs:

Dorothea at least will probably fit nicely into dancer once you unlock it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

Having finally managed to unite Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea, Byleth realizes that their favorite pair of students shows no sign of getting married. Sighing, they activiate the Divine Pulse once again. "Okay, maybe if I send them off to muck the stables for the entire year?"

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tired Moritz posted:

Mage is good and can be workable, but it depends on the character's spell list and other abilities. Shez, Lorenz, and Ignatz actually make fine mages I've found because Shez and Lorenz have unique actions that benefit the class and Ignatz has Cutting Gale that summons two wind blades that rotate around him, giving him breathing room, a stun gauge exposer, and additional damage and stun gauge damage (due to the blades hovering around him) for a brief period of time and, on a lesser scale, his unique action which lets him use his regular attack finisher and his C4 to spread a lot of paint around the battlefield with enough mooks. The attack spells also give them additional ways to expose the stun gauge of enemies, and when leveled up, basic spells become cheap as poo poo.

Priest is... bordering on unsalvageable. The regular combo string has a very bad habit of pushing everyone out of the C5 which would have been really useful otherwise, and it's not as skilled as the mage in terms of magic attacks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It’s kind of funny, I’m trying scarlet blaze first and all I can think of so far (end of the prologue) is basically “this timeline is infinitely better for Edelgard now Byleth is out of the picture”

The only thing they’re missing out on , is a year of high school shenanigans. Shez’ comment to Dorothea is pretty funny though, she laments having to fight people she knows and Shez is 100% correct by reminding her the other classes are basically acquaintances they knew for 3 weeks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DC Murderverse posted:

Rufus made a play for the throne, assisted by Cornelia. He always had a claim to it as the older brother of the previous king but he publicly made the accusation that the House of Fraldarius was going to use Dimitri as a puppet to suit their own ends once he ascended to the throne, and that Rufus was the true king and would be a better one since he’s already been regent. Basically a coup, which is different from Azure Moon because there Cornelia killed Rufus herself and framed Dimitri.

Yeah, I get all of that except I'd forgotten exactly how Rufus leaves the picture in Three Houses, thanks for the reminder. What's puzzling me is why things play out that way in this alternate timeline. The other two plots lay out pretty clearly why things are happening that wouldn't have happened with Professor Byleth, but this seems out of the blue.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah that's what I assumed, having played Scarlet Blaze first, but IIRC he specifically says that Cleobulus shouldn't do anything rash, and when we see Cornelia in Azure Gleam she says she's still waiting to find out what's actually going on. Maybe I'm just misremembering or misreading those lines, I suppose.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It didn't seem like she'd lost control over the situation in Azure Gleam. I certainly got the impression that Cornelia had made Dimitri's uncle go more paranoid than before, to the point where he decided he had to kill Dimitri right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sydin posted:

Extremely funny that the BE's already have three preferred mages in Dorothea, Lindhart, and Hubert, and instead of making Monica's preferred class something that actually fills a niche within the BE's like flyer where they're sorely lacking, it's just "lol here's your fourth caster, with a unique tome to boot so you feel even worse about reclassing her!" :downs:

I don't think preferred class means much of anything besides "hey if you don't know what to do with this character send them here". The only preferred flyers in the demo are Claude and Ingrid, and the Golden Deer literally have zero preferred sword users besides Shez.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Mage is good and can be workable, but it depends on the character's spell list and other abilities.

Priest is... bordering on unsalvageable. The regular combo string has a very bad habit of pushing everyone out of the C5 which would have been really useful otherwise, and it's not as skilled as the mage in terms of magic attacks.

Yeah mages are super good. You have great range variability on your moves and tons of fantastic AoE, and the class skill is a death machine gun that absolutely murders stun meters.

Priest is weird. You have to be super duper aware of your ranges on that class in a way that most classes don't need to give a poo poo about, and I think that's why it feels weak and awkward. The damage is certainly there if you can actually land the moves, but it's really easy to constantly gently caress up your own combos if your positioning is wrong. You have to play them really really close, which is hugely counterintuitive.

Marianne is a fantastic priest, because her passive gives her tons of aoe crowd control which allows her to mash up into peoples' faces to do priest things safely. The problem is that she's just as good of a mage.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I found that last detail very interesting!

I keep calling those guys the Mysterons, and it's still apparently accurate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Shez is so cool, and by cool i mean a complete dork

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Given the tutorial messages the games gives you when you first unlock the trainer it feels like the games wants you to master as many classes as possible, at least for your heaviest hitters. Not sure how much I'll end up doing that but I'll probably get Shez into almost every class by the end.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Holy poo poo Mage Hubert is unfair in a large crowd of targets, just use an ability spell with a big AoE and/or a heavy attack string, press ZR, and suddenly the entire area is a plume of black smoke and corpses. There's a mission in Chapter 4 where like 6 Captains show up around a target that needs protecting at one point, and I just nuked the entire enemy squad in a few moments.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 11, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

This is a loving travesty and needs to be resolved asap. Hubert and Bernie have the best support chain and are super cute together! They're legit one of my favorite ships how could they do that?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
personally i'm more up for supports between characters that didn't have any in three houses. if you want them to A support it already exists

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you feel sorry for anyone, pity poor Shamir. She joins the Deer but has C support max with literally every single character except Shez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Bit of an if but yeah, I'd like to see Jeritza get more supports. He hasn't had too many lines but they're all great. Jeritza/Hubert for the Dracula off when?