Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can only imagine fans of Bernie/Hubert haven’t seen the majesty of Bernie/Jeritza, a somehow even cuter couple.

Kanos posted:

If you feel sorry for anyone, pity poor Shamir. She joins the Deer but has C support max with literally every single character except Shez.

I can only take this to mean she has supports with a bunch of future Deer recruits. Judith/Holst/Nader/Ashen Wolves and maybe Cyril and Alois? I’m assuming most of the church crew goes with the Lions, and the Eagles already called dibs on the professors, so I figure those two probably wind up in Leicester somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Losing my mind that the second mission of edelgards route, in the prolouge, is taking down her uncle

Its fanfic galore (this is a positive)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Jeritza does have supports with Edelgard and Hubert, which he really needed in the main game

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

If you feel sorry for anyone, pity poor Shamir. She joins the Deer but has C support max with literally every single character except Shez.

Im happy she’s even in the game.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mandatory lesbian posted:

Shez is so cool, and by cool i mean a complete dork

Saw a fun idea somewhere on the difference between Byleth and Shez, where Three Houses is how Byleth sees battles - as chess matches that focus on positioning and matching the strength of their different commanders against the enemy's officers. Three Hopes is how Shez sees battles, as chaotic melees with hundreds of dudes pouring in from all sides while they focus on giving the enemy leader the old ba-boom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

This is a loving travesty and needs to be resolved asap. Hubert and Bernie have the best support chain and are super cute together! They're legit one of my favorite ships how could they do that?

Hubert has an A support with Monica of all people, lmao.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wonder if there’s supports that are just missing from the demo. Manuela for example just has a bunch of C-rank supports and many don’t even have conversations. Either she’s getting shafted or the full version might have more supports (I can hardly imagine Manuela gets a bunch of C-A rank supports with unrevealed characters so far)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Deltasquid posted:

I wonder if there’s supports that are just missing from the demo. Manuela for example just has a bunch of C-rank supports and many don’t even have conversations. Either she’s getting shafted or the full version might have more supports (I can hardly imagine Manuela gets a bunch of C-A rank supports with unrevealed characters so far)

It's very possible, the new stuff out of the data mining today seems to indicate that there is a recruitment mechanic, and there are characters that can be recruited over from one house to another later in the game, including some but not all of the students. Example Shamir can be recruited by everybody so presumably has more supports not shown, Lysithia can only be recruited by the BE's and will almost certainly support Edelgard, Jeritza can apparently be recruited by the BL's so he probably has supports with Mercedes that aren't currently shown, etc.

Also in more data mining news there are a good chunk of characters who appear to be potentially deconfirmed as playable:
Rhea
Kronya
Cornelia
Kostas
Randolph
Judith
Nader
Arundel
Greetje (I think this is Claude's brother from the invasion chapter?)
Ladislava

A bunch are obvious but some of them are real bummers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sydin posted:

Hubert has an A support with Monica of all people, lmao.

Of course, they have to compete for the role of Top Edelgard Simp.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's very possible, the new stuff out of the data mining today seems to indicate that there is a recruitment mechanic, and there are characters that can be recruited over from one house to another later in the game, including some but not all of the students. Example Shamir can be recruited by everybody so presumably has more supports not shown, Lysithia can only be recruited by the BE's and will almost certainly support Edelgard, Jeritza can apparently be recruited by the BL's so he probably has supports with Mercedes that aren't currently shown, etc.

Also in more data mining news there are a good chunk of characters who appear to be potentially deconfirmed as playable:
Rhea
Kronya
Cornelia
Kostas
Randolph
Judith
Nader
Arundel
Greetje (I think this is Claude's brother from the invasion chapter?)
Ladislava

A bunch are obvious but some of them are real bummers.

The criteria used to determine "not playable" seems to indicate Rhea is playable, unless I'm misreading something though, since she has separate head and body sprites, as does Jeralt. Catherine and Cyril also seem to be missing entirely from the spritesheet as well despite Catherine having some spacing indicating her presence elsewhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

The criteria used to determine "not playable" seems to indicate Rhea is playable, unless I'm misreading something though, since she has separate head and body sprites, as does Jeralt. Catherine and Cyril also seem to be missing entirely from the spritesheet as well despite Catherine having some spacing indicating her presence elsewhere.

Rhea is listed under the media tab as having a merged sprite, and I don't see a face sprite for Rhea under the model tab, just MC036_RheaA_0_P_Body. Catherine also has a face model under the same tab - MC032_CatherineA_0_P_Face - and appears to be confirmed playable in BL only.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

Rhea is listed under the media tab as having a merged sprite, and I don't see a face sprite for Rhea under the model tab, just MC036_RheaA_0_P_Body. Catherine also has a face model under the same tab - MC032_CatherineA_0_P_Face - and appears to be confirmed playable in BL only.

Ah, that's it, I was looking at the map sprites, not the art sprites. (And when I was looking in the data days ago I didn't spot anything from Catherine/Cyril and so on). Rhea does have a separate head and body model sprite in the map sprites like the confirmed PCs do.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 11, 2022

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Cancer loving sucks, man.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Terper posted:

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Wow he only got diagnosed a month and a half ago, what the gently caress.

Only 35 too, jesus. :smith:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Terper posted:

Oh god that's so awful. He was so young.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sydin posted:

Wow he only got diagnosed a month and a half ago, what the gently caress.

Only 35 too, jesus. :smith:

Technically he only went public with the diagnosis a month and a half ago. It's possible he'd been living with it for a while already, maybe even likely if the reason for going public was because he knew there wasn't much time left.

gently caress cancer.

E: Hits different now :(:

https://katribou.tumblr.com/post/187342188323/my-pal-and-fesh-pince-scholar-funkadacious-had

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 11, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want to grind because of my lizard brain

This

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Terper posted:

This is such a huge bummer, he’s so young, it’s tragic. He’s excellent as Ferdie, that sort of character could easily be so grating that you hate them but he brings such an earnestness to it that sets him apart from Lorentz and Sylvain who also have their nobility as large parts of their character but express it in very different ways.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's horrible. I only know him from Three Houses, but the earnestness was what made Ferdinand work.

Rest in peace.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Haven't played the game yet so only here to say that I named my cat after Ferdinand and I am so, so sad. And the cat won't even cuddle with me, too busy and stupid. Billy will be so missed, what an incredibly tragic loss.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terper posted:

Aww man that's awful. He was so great.

Always get screened, folks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Rip. Knew his prognosis would be awful but wasn't expecting it that quickly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cattail Prophet posted:

Technically he only went public with the diagnosis a month and a half ago. It's possible he'd been living with it for a while already, maybe even likely if the reason for going public was because he knew there wasn't much time left.

Yeah, true enough. Stage 4 colon is really bad, the usual prognosis is around 14% survival rate five years from diagnosis. It's not quite the doctor looking at you and saying "you're dead" but it's about as close as you can get otherwise. :smith:

Cattail Prophet posted:

gently caress cancer.

:hai:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kanos posted:

Yeah mages are super good. You have great range variability on your moves and tons of fantastic AoE, and the class skill is a death machine gun that absolutely murders stun meters.

Priest is weird. You have to be super duper aware of your ranges on that class in a way that most classes don't need to give a poo poo about, and I think that's why it feels weak and awkward. The damage is certainly there if you can actually land the moves, but it's really easy to constantly gently caress up your own combos if your positioning is wrong. You have to play them really really close, which is hugely counterintuitive.

Marianne is a fantastic priest, because her passive gives her tons of aoe crowd control which allows her to mash up into peoples' faces to do priest things safely. The problem is that she's just as good of a mage.

I find that even with Marianne's unique action, the Priest Moveset still pushes people a bit too far, but yeah, she might be manageable as a Priest.

Also, you want to take each character through their preferred classes because the Combat Arts and Spells that you learn through a character's pref class can also be taught to others through that character. Shez can teach a character Windsweep, Lorenz can teach a character Frozen Lance, Claude can teach a character Break Shot, etc.

Terper posted:

May his soul rest in peace.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
one downside of this game is it seems like characters don't get their special A-move unless they're in their intended class, which means you can't experiment too much because otherwise you dont get cool and/or funny poo poo like this

KittyEmpress posted:

Sylvain is one of the most fun characters to play in this. Make him a thief and abuse his 'my range goes up as I get more hits' to clear entire rooms and accidentally guard break people you didn't even see behind you.

He is also absurdly good with fist weapons due to his increased range.

Amusingly, lances seem to be the second worst weapons to take advantage of this (the worst being magic, since it doesn't seem to benefit at all).
I reclassed Sylvain to use gauntlets due to no one else on BL route defaulting to that and, uh, holy gently caress. He just loving ORA ORA ORAs his way through everything, doesn't he

Also, fun fact: apparently they adjusted the character heights in this game, because "cutscenes outside of 2D backgrounds" means that they can actually move the camera a little bit - in Three Houses, they kinda fudged the heights of some characters by making them float because otherwise they wouldn't show up in frame. Now they don't have to do that!
https://twitter.com/_saoas/status/1535526125966725121

This, of course, now shows off just how hilariously tiny Lysithea actually is. :3:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lmao that even Edelgard is taller than Caspar pre timeskip

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It would be extremely wierd for a Warriors game to only allow 1/3 of the cast to play together at a time, so I'm wondering if the NG+ will allow you to pick a different house but access your units from your previous playthrough's house.

This statement makes no sense to me because when you pick Wei in Dynasty Warriors you don't ever get to choose or play as Shu or Wu characters, it's all Wei. If anything it would be extremely weird for a Warriors game to allow the entire cast to be playable together.

I'm enjoying the demo so far, up to chapter 3 now. It feels a little too easy with how many combat options you have, granted these are the earliest battles in the game, but Shez just seems to mow down enemies without any difficulty whatsoever, Kronya was down in about 20 seconds and the demon beast I only got one armor break on because the Shez/Edel Musou attack did nearly 200k damage and just destroyed it. I am playing on the medium difficulty though and it seems likely this game may be a bit easier than other musou games since they're counting on at least some of the players to not have played a musou game before, Age of Calamity and P5 Strikers kind of did the same thing. I'll probably bump the difficulty up to the highest setting.

I thought I'd be okay with not having played Three Houses, since I played through Strikers without having played P5. It doesn't really work here though because Strikers references P5 a lot, to the point where I picked up on things pretty quickly. Plus with Sophia being a new character, things have to get explained to her a lot, and Morgana explains a lot of plot things like how Jails are different from Palaces, and "We should try doing this, because it worked the last time we were in the Metaverse." But since this is an alternate timeline, they can't really reference or explain things because they didn't happen. They definitely expect you to already be up to speed on the story in a way Strikers didn't, like I went Black Eagles and Edelgard and Hubert's conversation after rescuing Monica made no sense to me. Someone on discord was kind enough to explain why Monica being rescued changed things that Edelgard and Hubert had planned, since they now had information that they didn't find out until much later in Three Houses.

And before anyone says it, I do want to play Three Houses eventually! Just don't really have the money right now, or a Switch of my own (I'm using my brother's while he's at work for now). It'll probably be a while before I can get to it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
With confirmation that Marianne can teach the Physic spell to anyone who meets the requirements, I think we can safely say that the majority of skills learned through a character's preferred class is a skill the character will be able to teach another character. I've confirmed that Shez can teach Windsweep, Claude and Ignatz can teach Break Shot, Lorenz can teach Frozen Lance, Lysithea can teach Swarm Z, Marianne can teach Physic, and Leonie can teach Glowing Ember.

As a note, these are the skills learned by a character in their preferred class:

Shez: Windsweep
Edelgard: Shredder
Hubert: Mire B
Ferdinand: Glowing Ember
Linhardt: Physic
Caspar: Invigorating Spirit
Bernadetta: Drill Arrow
Dorothea: Thoron
Petra: Shadowblade
Dimitri: Frozen Lance
Dedue: Lightning Axe
Felix: Firesweep
Ashe: Drill Arrow
Sylvain: Glowing Ember
Mercedes: Physic
Annette: Cutting Gale
Ingrid: Stormblade (Maybe; might be like Point-Blank Volley in that it's considered unteachable due to being something every Pegasus Knight learns)
Claude: Break Shot
Hilda: Spike
Lorenz: Frozen Lance
Raphael: Draining Blow
Ignatz: Break Shot
Lysithea: Swarm Z
Marianne: Physic
Leonie: Glowing Ember]
Manuela: Ward
Shamir: Break Shot
Jeritza: Glowing Ember
Rodrigue: Frozen Lance
Monica: Bolganone

Those in bold have been confirmed by me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i might be a dumbass, but how exactly do you go about teaching skills like that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

This statement makes no sense to me because when you pick Wei in Dynasty Warriors you don't ever get to choose or play as Shu or Wu characters, it's all Wei. If anything it would be extremely weird for a Warriors game to allow the entire cast to be playable together.

One of the key things in 3 Houses is being able to recruit characters to your house, it’s almost certainly gonna be in here in some aspect given how well they’re adapting the other systems of FE:3H

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah okay, I was misreading that statement as "other musou games let you do this, so it would be weird if this one didn't" rather than "3 Houses let you do this, so it would be weird if Three Hopes didn't just because it's a Warriors game."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm enjoying the demo so far, up to chapter 3 now. It feels a little too easy with how many combat options you have, granted these are the earliest battles in the game, but Shez just seems to mow down enemies without any difficulty whatsoever, Kronya was down in about 20 seconds and the demon beast I only got one armor break on because the Shez/Edel Musou attack did nearly 200k damage and just destroyed it. I am playing on the medium difficulty though and it seems likely this game may be a bit easier than other musou games since they're counting on at least some of the players to not have played a musou game before, Age of Calamity and P5 Strikers kind of did the same thing. I'll probably bump the difficulty up to the highest setting.

Difficulty setting doesn't actually apply until chapter 4. The early chapters are all undertuned by design, no matter the difficulty.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought I'd be okay with not having played Three Houses, since I played through Strikers without having played P5. It doesn't really work here though because Strikers references P5 a lot, to the point where I picked up on things pretty quickly. Plus with Sophia being a new character, things have to get explained to her a lot, and Morgana explains a lot of plot things like how Jails are different from Palaces, and "We should try doing this, because it worked the last time we were in the Metaverse." But since this is an alternate timeline, they can't really reference or explain things because they didn't happen. They definitely expect you to already be up to speed on the story in a way Strikers didn't, like I went Black Eagles and Edelgard and Hubert's conversation after rescuing Monica made no sense to me. Someone on discord was kind enough to explain why Monica being rescued changed things that Edelgard and Hubert had planned, since they now had information that they didn't find out until much later in Three Houses.

You absolutely should play Three Houses when you get the chance, but judging by the demo, I don't know how much it will matter to have played it first. The demo portion is pretty dedicated to showing how this became an alternate timeline, but I think most of the game will be focused on its own actual story and any Three Houses references will be easter eggs rather than actually necessary to understand what's going on.

I think Hubert and Edelgard's shady conversation is even understandable in retrospect once you've played through the chapter. Monica revealing that Tomas is a shapeshifting villain lets them ask the church to support them in attacking some guy in the Empire, who then gets the boot alongside half the government.

People who played Three Houses already knew those names and relationships and that helps you read the context, but all you need to know for the sake of Three Hopes is that the regent and prime minister were bad dudes that Edelgard wanted to make a move against, and that she needed some kind of probable cause to get the church and army on her side, which she got from Monica and the evil librarian. This is all shown in the demo.

There's a lot of fine detail that gets glossed over, but that is presumably because it is detail you do not need. Judging by what we've seen so far, I wager Three Hopes will tell a story that can stand on its own and doesn't need an entire other video game's worth of story to parse.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i started the Black Eagles route after finishing basically everything i could in Golden Deer/Blue Lions and goddamn i forgot how much edelgard rules. Shes so good. Her explicitly going after monica and saying "to hell with the careful planning, im taking a gamble to save my friend" has only made her more excellent.

Also, hubert, my boy. I also forgot how loving funny it is that he's essentially a loving looming vampire who constantly talks in ominous trailing sentences.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/3skuero/status/1536083707978817536

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
<element>sweep in general seems absurdly powerful

I've been getting free critical rushes out the wazoo with Thief Shez and Windsweep, and I dunno if thief contributes part of it, but it looks to me like the sweep is the big ticket.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jon Irenicus posted:

lmao that even Edelgard is taller than Caspar pre timeskip

Edelgard somehow grew 4cm in this game. She's now 162cm instead of the 158 cm she was in Three Houses, even post timeskip.

https://twitter.com/oratoza/status/1535915068591747073

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Eimi posted:

Edelgard somehow grew 4cm in this game. She's now 162cm instead of the 158 cm she was in Three Houses, even post timeskip.

Her timeskip three houses armor was too heavy and compressed her spine.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

Claude was 175 cm in 3 houses (both pre and after timeskip) and is 177 cm in chapter 4 in three hopes.

Maybe a changed diet gave him a growth spurt in this timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Deltasquid posted:

Claude was 175 cm in 3 houses (both pre and after timeskip) and is 177 cm in chapter 4 in three hopes.

Maybe a changed diet gave him a growth spurt in this timeline?

It's going around. Now we need to find out who else had their height change. :tinfoil: