Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Wow, I LOLed so hard when the Shamir's paralogue turned out to be about her ex-girlfriend trying to get back with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just did Dorothea & Manuela’s Paralogue and it was :discourse: just absolutely goofy in the best way.

I accidentally killed one fanatic with Shez and then like ten angry thieves showed up lol good punishment

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just watched Shez & Ferdinand’s C support conversation and Ferdinand said, “As I have told you on multiple occasions, I am Ferdinand von Aegir.” And now I can’t stop laughing.

On a serious note, should I be using the adjunct system? Seems like a waste to take characters off of the battle field. I suppose it could be helpful in the big story missions where you have 8 characters? I will need to go back and re-read those tutorials, because I never really figured out how to use it correctly.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Adjuncts have their purpose. You can get weaker characters levelled up without putting em in danger, good for building supports, you can send em out for attacks if their weapon has triangle advantage, and you can get a double special attack that does a lot more damage than a solo special

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Most maps will usually default to only having three major weapon types so you can usually get away with making someone an Adjutant even then. Characters can get a bunch of Adjutant-only abilities to buff the Vanguard. Annette, as an example, can give Rally Deluxe +10 to a bunch of stats and Wind Assist which makes the Vanguard's Strong Attacks all have the wind element. Adjutants will also throw off their own follow-up attacks or protect the Vanguard from damage when the bars fill up. They'll also learn abilities from the Vanguard if certain conditions are met which is how Flayn will ever get any real use out of Essence of Light when she learns all of Nosferatu naturally for attack spells.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just watched Shez & Ferdinand’s C support conversation and Ferdinand said, “As I have told you on multiple occasions, I am Ferdinand von Aegir.” And now I can’t stop laughing.

On a serious note, should I be using the adjunct system? Seems like a waste to take characters off of the battle field. I suppose it could be helpful in the big story missions where you have 8 characters? I will need to go back and re-read those tutorials, because I never really figured out how to use it correctly.

Making them adjutants is basically the only use for those extra characters on story missions.

And like others have said, most side missions only have enemies with three weapon types so one of your guys basically has no use besides being an adjutant. Additionally, most of these missions will have 2/3 of the enemy types in a row so you can usually get away with making the other two pair up and just switching between them as needed

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cythereal posted:

I never used Cyril because he's too drat young. Lysithea and Petra as 15 year olds at the game start are borderline as it is, but Cyril looks and sounds too much like a kid for me to be comfortable sending him into combat.

Someone never sent Agitha to her death against Ganon in Hyrule Warriors and it shows.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Judge Tesla posted:

Someone never sent Agitha to her death against Ganon in Hyrule Warriors and it shows.

Lookit this scrub who didn’t drop 100 beetles on him

I’ll try out adjuncts again on the next big mission I do.

Edit: adjunct, adjutant, whatever. My brain was filling it in because I’ve never heard the word Adjutant before

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh my god please stop saying "adjunct" it's adjutant! adjutant!!!

sorry

E: wait i just looked this up and those words have pretty similar meanings. oh no am i the one who is wrong

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 17, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

I have never played Hyrule Warriors, no.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Scarlet Blaze the gayest route? Because Monica is gay af (in a good way obv)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Scarlet Blaze the gayest route? Because Monica is gay af (in a good way obv)

All of the routes are pretty drat gay.

Ingrid's now bisexual over in the Blue Lions, and I can't read Dimitri and Felix's A support ending in any way but 'and then they boned so hard it triggered Guardian of the Meek.'

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Monica is really gay though so I have to leave the vote on Scarlet Eagles

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Hilda is very gay in Golden WIldfire but I can't remember if anyone else is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Azure Gleam also has this:

Sylvain: Hey, beautiful! You doing anything tonight?

Yuri: You know I'm a dude, right?

Sylvain: Nope, my bad. Hey, handsome! You doing anything tonight?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The lions is full of gay men who are super gay.

The eagles are full of gay women who are super gay.

The deer are all bisexuals. All of them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Black Eagles was always the gayest house. Three Hopes amped up the gay across the board, which means they're still the gayest house.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Black Eagles was always the gayest house. Three Hopes amped up the gay across the board, which means they're still the gayest house.

:hmmyes:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Considering the setting seems to have no hangups on orientation, seems normal. If only the real world would be so casual.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Considering the setting seems to have no hangups on orientation, seems normal. If only the real world would be so casual.

I mean there's some JP dialogue for Shamir that hints that Fodlan doesn't have gay marriage while Dagda does, but it's not super emphasized, especially in the NA dub. Hard to say what the intent was.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eimi posted:

I mean there's some JP dialogue for Shamir that hints that Fodlan doesn't have gay marriage while Dagda does, but it's not super emphasized, especially in the NA dub. Hard to say what the intent was.

The JP dialog is more like that gay marriage is more common/normal/usual in Dagda than Fodlan. I mean, there are no examples, but given all the gayness in the games I thunk the Crests are to blame.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve reached the point in the game where I am steamrolling every map and getting S-ranks on the first try, which is satisfying after struggling early on. Well, every map except the one where you can recruit Byleth because that one requires that you kill a shitload of mooks early on to meet the quota before the time-sensitive mission that ends the battle. This is in Scarlet Blaze, I’m not sure how it goes in the other paths but lol I got a C for kills because I had to rush the boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The JP dialog is more like that gay marriage is more common/normal/usual in Dagda than Fodlan. I mean, there are no examples, but given all the gayness in the games I thunk the Crests are to blame.
im pretty sure the dialog specifies that the church doesnt do gay marriages but id need to check the jp script

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
https://fe3htranslations.wordpress.com/2022/11/10/support-catherine-shamir/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lol went back to S rank the battle I mentioned before and did it the wrong way and hoo boy I understand now why this leads to the bad ending.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do Paralogues expire? I forgot to do a couple in ch 14 and I beat that chapter and the very sudden next chapter before realizing I forgot about them. I really don’t want to go back and redo all that again, though!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They do, and also there are some supports that are gated by progression and if you progress too far, you just can't do them that playthrough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

They do, and also there are some supports that are gated by progression and if you progress too far, you just can't do them that playthrough.

Apparently the game lets you know if a paralogue is going to expire.

There’s a blacked out mission in my records for chapter 14 (Scarlet Blaze), is that for if you kill Byleth? I was reading that it’s like an alternate story path with unique fights and a unique paralogue. Is that true?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Apparently the game lets you know if a paralogue is going to expire.

There’s a blacked out mission in my records for chapter 14 (Scarlet Blaze), is that for if you kill Byleth? I was reading that it’s like an alternate story path with unique fights and a unique paralogue. Is that true?

Correct, that's the alternate path. It has a unique paralogue however, you can only get it on NG+, so for your first run, you really want the path you are on. There are some story changes, but on the path you are on you get a bonus mission that has a very good award. Aymr. On the good path you get a relic while on the bad you just get that extra paralogue. Storywise SB has the biggest changes from the good vs bad plot but as they are actual spoilers, I won't give them away.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

Correct, that's the alternate path. It has a unique paralogue however, you can only get it on NG+, so for your first run, you really want the path you are on. There are some story changes, but on the path you are on you get a bonus mission that has a very good award. Aymr. On the good path you get a relic while on the bad you just get that extra paralogue. Storywise SB has the biggest changes from the good vs bad plot but as they are actual spoilers, I won't give them away.

Do you get anything for doing the “bad” path on the other routes? Is it the same paralogue?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you get anything for doing the “bad” path on the other routes? Is it the same paralogue?

It's the same paralogue and unlike SB the story basically doesn't change at all.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I've been gradually going through Golden Wildfire on Hard and having a pretty good time. I'm just before chapter 11, after recruiting Byleth and Jeralt. The main story missions and a paralogues feel pretty well-balanced for going for S-Ranks, with some of them coming down to the wire. Didn't manage the Dierdru S-rank early on, but I think I could have squeaked it out if I banged my head against it for another hour or two. The side missions leading up to the story events are all incredibly easy so far (with the exception of the bastard challenge condition of "you can't dodge," which the game is really not designed for), but I'm glad that they're there. It's nice to have easy fights to do a bit of training and try things in a more casual setting, especially now that I've got master classes and the move sets are changing again. I also like that training makes it so easy to train up classes you don't use for cool passives. Basically everyone's dabbled in the Fighter tree to get Deathblow or Wild Abandon from Brigand, and Armsthrift from Archer and Offensive Tactics from Wyvern Rider are great too, and characters with elemental passives want Fiendish Blow and the Essence of X skills if they can get them... I wish Innate Abilities weren't hidden, but they seem like a cool incentive to diversify some.

Tying attack string expansion to weapon ranks is a cool idea, but probably should have had a little more explicit tutorializing, because it took me a while to notice. It's a real shame that the mage move set is so bad, but at least it's pretty easy to get magic swords; Lysithea is great with swords and I'm looking forward to her getting to use Thunderbrand with her magic stat. I've gotten way less lucky with magic spears, so Marianne is suffering in comparison, but apparently offensive stats don't matter that much? The Archer move set does suffer some from a similar lack of mobility in the normal attack string, but its strong finishers are better there, so it's better to use. Claude's special archer class is fine too. Haven't used Bow Knight yet, so we'll see. Swords, axes, fists, cavalry and fliers all feel good to use, though the camera isn't quite there for fliers. I think my favorite move set is Thief, because swords feel good in general and it's also very funny to use the class action to just infinite combo carry a person from one stronghold to the next stronghold. Dark Knight might beat it now that I'm starting to use it in earnest, especially since the Essence of X abilities incentivize different characters to focus on different finishers. That's cool and I'd like to see more things like that.

My one mechanical complaint so far is that the "increase effect of forging" upgrades shouldn't be there, because they make it less fun to use those resources early on. I haven't really used the Blacksmith as a result. This does mean I had the supplies to do a bunch of early upgrading of the facilities and enough Umbral Steel to get the unlocks on the Hero's Relics when they became available, so I guess it was fine in the end...? It's a weird spot of dissonance in systems I'm otherwise pretty happy with.

Story-wise, it's all been good so far. Actual Claude is a great character and they've handled him well, and Shez is a good character for his role. Holst feels like a good example of how a character can have two character traits and still be good so long as those traits are handled well enough. The character recruitment is a little weirdly done, but no one hates it in the Alliance camp (Bernadetta is obviously being played entirely for comedy), so it's fine enough; I'm sure it's much stranger on the other routes.

I might actually do all the routes in this one! Shame it doesn't seem to be getting any DLC, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Scarlet Blaze, it was pretty fun and had a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It definitely seems like they learned from their mistakes with Three Houses and told a coherent story this time that spent 90% of the time post-time jump. I appreciated that you could recruit some enemy generals but you still had to kill several of them. Three Houses got kinda boring because you could just recruit every student and greatly lower the stakes of the latter part of the game. That mechanic also kinda hosed up the storytelling, since the only characters that were guaranteed to stick with one of the house leaders was their bestie. Definitely a huge improvement.

I started a NG+ on hard and chose Azure Gleam because I never did Blue Lions in Three Houses. Mostly because I hate Dimitri! He sucks! And he isn’t much better here! But like, I get it. Is Claude the only one of the three who wasn’t horribly traumatized as a child? Also Felix is such an rear end in a top hat wtf

Are the secret characters that require Renown to unlock any good? Is it worth unlocking them? I have enough I just wasn’t sure how much I cared. All three are kinda lovely characters anyway!

Also, the enemies are already really high level and I’m not even that far into the game. I’m on ch 6 and the enemies are level 30+ already. Is that because I’m on Hard or is it NG+? Either way, I’ve spent tons of gold keeping my new recruits’ levels up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Claude the only one of the three who wasn’t horribly traumatized as a child?

Nope, he's just better at hiding it than Edelgard and Dimitri.

quote:

Also Felix is such an rear end in a top hat wtf

Felix's whole thing is that he's a very caring and loyal dude who is utter poo poo at expressing himself.

quote:

Are the secret characters that require Renown to unlock any good? Is it worth unlocking them? I have enough I just wasn’t sure how much I cared. All three are kinda lovely characters anyway!

They are very powerful.

quote:

Also, the enemies are already really high level and I’m not even that far into the game. I’m on ch 6 and the enemies are level 30+ already. Is that because I’m on Hard or is it NG+? Either way, I’ve spent tons of gold keeping my new recruits’ levels up.

It's because you're on Hard. Hard expects you to grind side stories and mission replay to keep your level up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

A note on hard, it's entirely okay to face enemies even 50 levels higher than you. Your weapon is going to matter far far more than any amount of stats you have. You don't have to grind or ever worry about being even, them being higher level than you just means weapon advantage and avoiding damage matters a lot. Once you master that and use pair up to swap matchups, and take advantage of the stun gauge it's no problem.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m using highly powerful weapons so the only issue with being low level is taking a ton of damage from the high-level enemies.

Also lol at the story beat after killing Lonato where they say, “Man, we should take Arianrhod, it will be lightly guarded.” Then it just cuts straight to the next scene of them saying, “Wow taking Arianrhod was so easy.” Talk about a story shortcut!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The first Fire Emblem Warriors is on sale, how is it compared to this game? I didn’t hear much praise for it. I probably won’t get it but I’m curious.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s much more of a fanservicey crossover game — less emphasis on a standalone story and more of an excuse to have Marth fight Chrom or whatever. If you’ve played the Hyrule Warriors games, they’re similar — the first is just an excuse to have a big crossover in the muso engine, while the second is a companion game to the most recent release and ties in tightly to it.

It plays about the same as any other given muso game. The class balance isn’t very good — it focuses on main characters, so lots of options for swords and tomes but not too many for the other weapon types, and you need the DLC to get a lance wielder that isn’t a Pegasus Knight — but there’s a lot more postgame/side content than Three Hopes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also lol at the story beat after killing Lonato where they say, “Man, we should take Arianrhod, it will be lightly guarded.” Then it just cuts straight to the next scene of them saying, “Wow taking Arianrhod was so easy.” Talk about a story shortcut!

Specifically, the guy in command surrendered without a fight because he felt Dimitri was the biggest threat. Hint hint about the nature of his loyalty.

If you're not interested in Faerghus politics, Azure Gleam may not do much for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bravesword posted:

It’s much more of a fanservicey crossover game — less emphasis on a standalone story and more of an excuse to have Marth fight Chrom or whatever. If you’ve played the Hyrule Warriors games, they’re similar — the first is just an excuse to have a big crossover in the muso engine, while the second is a companion game to the most recent release and ties in tightly to it.

It plays about the same as any other given muso game. The class balance isn’t very good — it focuses on main characters, so lots of options for swords and tomes but not too many for the other weapon types, and you need the DLC to get a lance wielder that isn’t a Pegasus Knight — but there’s a lot more postgame/side content than Three Hopes.

Yeah don't go into it expecting to have a good story, it does not. However I think the combat in FEW is much much better than in 3Hopes, it's Hope's biggest weakness since once you upgrade your weapons durability enough and get enough skills the entire game just breaks. So if what you enjoy is the grindy progression and combat, than FEW will be a great time. If what you enjoy is the story, skip it.