Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

Yeah don't go into it expecting to have a good story, it does not. However I think the combat in FEW is much much better than in 3Hopes, it's Hope's biggest weakness since once you upgrade your weapons durability enough and get enough skills the entire game just breaks. So if what you enjoy is the grindy progression and combat, than FEW will be a great time. If what you enjoy is the story, skip it.

I figured it was similar to the first Hyrule Warriors, which I put like 250 hours into and did all of the side content. That game had a stupid story which was fun. I like 3 Hopes for the story and the combat and grind. Maybe if I find a shiny $50 under a rock I’ll use it on that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I figured it was similar to the first Hyrule Warriors, which I put like 250 hours into and did all of the side content. That game had a stupid story which was fun. I like 3 Hopes for the story and the combat and grind. Maybe if I find a shiny $50 under a rock I’ll use it on that game.

In that case you will love it, I like the postgame grinding stuff and FEW has plenty. bravesword is fight in that DLC has a lot of powerful characters, and the Fates dlc has the only two foot lancers, and both are really fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dimitri got captured and tbh I kinda want to let the evil lady execute him at this point, he sucks and is a lovely ruler. The peasants are probably right to revolt against their stupid monarchy. This is exactly why I never did Blue Lions in Three Houses lol I know I missed out on a huge amount of story but I kinda don’t care.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

“You missed your opportunity to strengthen this bond…”

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought that Azure Gleam was going to have a boring story but I just finished Part I and things just got super crazy and now I am actually excited to see what happens.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There’s some really good early stuff in Azure Gleam but it absolutely devolves into total poo poo

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 14, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah AG is the best route until one plot point drops and immediately 180's the whole thing into the worst route.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sydin posted:

Yeah AG is the best route until one plot point drops and immediately 180's the whole thing into the worst route.

I assume that’s later on, then.

Why does it give you the choice of not bringing the Alliance characters into your team? That seems weird. Is there any benefit to not putting them in your party?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I playing through the Lions route now too while waiting for Engage. I also just got through Part 1.

I decided to give my merc whistle to Lorenz this time. Not because I'm a huge Lorenz fan, but just because his unique ability makes the lovely "lol-you-can't-dodge" maps more bearable. (It will probably also help me with the really hard paralogue that I unlocked since this is my third playthrough.)

But I think I'm enjoying the Blue Lions story and characters less than in 3 Houses, and it was my least favorite house there too. It feels like they turned up Felix's rear end in a top hat growth rate to 90%, and someone gave Sylvain a lobotomy while we weren't looking. He's...like weird, creepy nice. I might not think that about him if I'd never played 3 Houses, but something feels off about him in Hopes.

So basically I think I'm going to just field Hapi in every map for the rest of the game and clear it with her while mastering every class with her.

Fire Emblem: Three Hapis

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gold weapons are heroes relics, yeah? And silver ones are sacred weapons? You can equip silver weapons on someone without the crest with no consequence, but not gold ones? Is that right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gold weapons are heroes relics, yeah? And silver ones are sacred weapons? You can equip silver weapons on someone without the crest with no consequence, but not gold ones? Is that right?

Correct. I don't know if they're the best weapons per se, but the weapon system is a lot different from FEWs and and honestly durability and mt are still the kings of stats all else be damned.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gold weapons should only be equipped on units who have a crest, yes. If the user's crest matches the relic they also get some kind of bonus from the weapon, usually a unique weapon art. Silver weapons can be equipped by anybody with no consequence. However if they're used by somebody with a matching crest the user once again gets bonuses from it.

As an FYI gold weapons - that is hero relics - are generally pretty bad in terms of Mt until you gain the ability to "unlock" their potential through the tactics academy. Until then you're probably better off just boosting normal weapons up and using them instead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sydin posted:

Gold weapons should only be equipped on units who have a crest, yes. If the user's crest matches the relic they also get some kind of bonus from the weapon, usually a unique weapon art. Silver weapons can be equipped by anybody with no consequence. However if they're used by somebody with a matching crest the user once again gets bonuses from it.

As an FYI gold weapons - that is hero relics - are generally pretty bad in terms of Mt until you gain the ability to "unlock" their potential through the tactics academy. Until then you're probably better off just boosting normal weapons up and using them instead.

I’m on NG+ so I was able to unlock them all right away on my current run, made the early game a slaughterhouse lol

Edit: I’m getting the first FEW with the DLC, gently caress it I’ll play it eventually.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rodrigue won’t stop asking to go on expeditions with Lady Shez and it’s creepy af

Edit: I’m at the point where Shez is my strongest unit at lv61 and everyone else is like 45-51 and the enemies are lv 81 :laugh:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 17, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
so creepy. riding on a horse and spending quality time with your comrade in arms. in TYOOL 2023??????

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They're sending the older and more experienced dudes because Shez can't read a map to save their life.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
BL route is only worth it so you can go on dates with Felix's dad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For the S-rank battler achievement, doing the same Paralogue in two different runs doesn’t count for two, right? Like the Ashen Wolves one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went back and S-Ranked it and it did count as a separate mission toward the S-Rank Battler achievement. Crazy!

Edit: I beat Azure Gleam, it was fine. I guess Part II’s plot never played out in an interesting way, which was stupid. They sort of implied that maybe Thales turned Edelgard into a giant monster at the end of part I and then it was never mentioned again. Some of the characters just disappeared and were never heard from again. Definitely a disappointment.

It might have been gayer than Scarlet Blaze, Sylvain/Yuri and Catherine/Shamir were very gay.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 21, 2023

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I went back and S-Ranked it and it did count as a separate mission toward the S-Rank Battler achievement. Crazy!

Edit: I beat Azure Gleam, it was fine. I guess Part II’s plot never played out in an interesting way, which was stupid. They sort of implied that maybe Thales turned Edelgard into a giant monster at the end of part I and then it was never mentioned again. Some of the characters just disappeared and were never heard from again. Definitely a disappointment.

It might have been gayer than Scarlet Blaze, Sylvain/Yuri and Catherine/Shamir were very gay.

Yurivain: https://www.reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/yxq39a/no_nut_november_made_me_gay/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lol the game just gave me a random secret character Gatekeeper and it’s amazing. This game is so good, I got FE Engage but I just started Golden Wildfire and I don’t wanna stop playing this one yet lol

Edit: is Judith playable later on?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Unfortunately no, Judith is doomed to permanently be unplayable (along with Nader)

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Truly a shame that any hope for DLC is dead :( would've loved those characters added in

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm honestly kind of happy they weren't because frankly the game has too many characters already and adding several more who are very slightly different from the ones I already have would make the bookkeeping and upgrading elements even more tiresome.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still miffed they didn't even give us Hanneman. Yeah sure the Eagles get every caster except Annette and Flayn, and have both native dark bishops in their starting roster, but is that really reason enough?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Lions also have Cyril hanging around all game but he's never playable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Good. Nobody should be burdened by him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This game is pretty complete as it is, I don’t think it really needed DLC.

Age of Calamity got DLC but it was mostly silly stuff like the motorcycle weapon or being able to play as a Guardian. It’s also a very different kind of game, with characters having multiple unique weapons instead of the class system and all that stuff.

Edit: Cyril sucks and I’m glad he was left out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose it's not like the Lions need another late-joining wyvern after Jeritza. I know he starts as death knight, but Domineer is worth it.

Another reason why Three Hopes Claude is hot trash compared to Three Houses. The game has a great trait like Domineer and Golden Wildfire is the only route that doesn't have access to it without NG+.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Age of Calamity got DLC but it was mostly silly stuff like the motorcycle weapon or being able to play as a Guardian. It’s also a very different kind of game, with characters having multiple unique weapons instead of the class system and all that stuff.

I'd pay 60 more dollars for Three Hopes dlc that just added that motorcycle, it was a really fun toy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would not say the story is complete at all. It ends on a massively unsatisfying note, and like both Shez and Arval are massively underexplored as characters, especially since Shez has a lot more going on that's hinted at. It was just a frustrating point to leave the game off at, and months after finishing the game, it's still frustrating to me.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Considering all the routes just sorta.....abruptly end, it did feel like they were teasing something additional. There seemed to be a lot of chatter all over the place expecting some sort of DLC route to wrap everything up :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Azure Gleam definitely ended in a stupid way but Scarlet Blaze seemed like it was done. Taking back Garreg Mach and ending the Central Church meant that Edelgard had no more reason to fight with the Kingdom.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the story's complete, it's just deeply unsatisfying. there's a distinction there

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I found Azure Gleam a bit unsatisfying because it ends with a big hook of whether Claude will actually act on his yammering and betray the Kingdom/Church alliance or not, after spending all game going "I'm totally going to do something... someday!"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No one likes Azure Gleam except the Ashe/Sylvain shippers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like Azure Gleam. :colbert:

It gave me more of what I felt was the most interesting part of Azure Moon - Faerghus' complicated internal politics, why everyone is so invested in Dimitri as king despite all his issues, and what Dimitri's campaign of reform as king is likely to involve.

And hey, bisexual Ingrid!

I don't hold Claude being pointless against Azure Gleam, because that's just Claude in Houses/Hopes in general.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cythereal posted:

I like Azure Gleam. :colbert:

It gave me more of what I felt was the most interesting part of Azure Moon - Faerghus' complicated internal politics, why everyone is so invested in Dimitri as king despite all his issues, and what Dimitri's campaign of reform as king is likely to involve.

And hey, bisexual Ingrid!

I don't hold Claude being pointless against Azure Gleam, because that's just Claude in Houses/Hopes in general.

Proof that it's garbage.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Between the “insert more story here” endings and the very conspicuous absence of a God Shattering Star remix or really anything to do with Nemesis or an explanation for Epidermis at all, there was definitely a plan to make us pay for the privilege of getting a finished game. And now we won’t get even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Initial results from this new campaign where I'm putting almost everyone towards their secret bonus class are mixed. Felix and Sylvain are both thriving as mages, and Mercedes is doing well as an archer with a magic bow.

Rodrigue and Annette, though, are turning out mediocre. They're both natively magic characters, but I'm putting them into physical classes, and the result so far is that they're both gaining okay-ish amounts of both STR and MAG without doing well at either.

Time will tell whether cavalier Flayn and brigand Hapi will follow suit.