Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eimi posted:

It's going around. Now we need to find out who else had their height change. :tinfoil:

You gotta know that some weird fan on Twitter has your back:

https://twitter.com/flamingarc/status/1535285645748445186?s=21&t=McPi275I2gi9hYWz2w5DOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bignatz is real

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Annette got her shoes early.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

Bignatz is real

well now I gotta change the title again

farewell, Chez Shez

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blaziken386 posted:

i might be a dumbass, but how exactly do you go about teaching skills like that

Pair up the teacher and the one you want to teach them to. Teacher must be the active unit, while the student must be the Adjutant.

Teacher must have mastered the Art/Spell you want to teach. (Reach Lv. 3 in the Art/Spell.)

Student must have an A Rank in the weapon type corresponding to the Art you want to teach them. For spells (any spell), A Rank in Tomes is enough.

Student cannot learn the Art/Spell if they already learn it by default/through classes.

Teacher must use the Art/Spell in battle until the Adjutant learns it.

A tutorial explaining this stuff will pop up once you master your first ability that can be taught to others.

So far, the requirement for a teacher to be able to teach an Art/Spell to a student is that it must be something they learn through their preferred classes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Folt The Bolt posted:

Pair up the teacher and the one you want to teach them to. Teacher must be the active unit, while the student must be the Adjutant.

Teacher must have mastered the Art/Spell you want to teach. (Reach Lv. 3 in the Art/Spell.)

Student must have an A Rank in the weapon type corresponding to the Art you want to teach them. For spells (any spell), A Rank in Tomes is enough.

Student cannot learn the Art/Spell if they already learn it by default/through classes.

Teacher must use the Art/Spell in battle until the Adjutant learns it.

A tutorial explaining this stuff will pop up once you master your first ability that can be taught to others.

So far, the requirement for a teacher to be able to teach an Art/Spell to a student is that it must be something they learn through their preferred classes.
ah, and here I thought this was something I already could do that I missed. Unless you devote a fanatical amount of time to grinding, you can't even do that yet, right? Since weapon level is class-dependent.

neat mechanic, though. Reminds me of the early disgaea games, where the only way to make characters like Flonne useful was to have a generic mage sit on them for a few battles.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I don't think you can do that at all right now, or can you buy the higher level seals in the demo? I think a few of them are available as achievements rewards though, so it might be theoretically possible and some insane person has already done it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You need 80 achievement points for the first advanced seals, and while I haven't crunched the numbers, I think that's theoretically doable with a lot of grinding. I've hit 40 with no concerted effort whatsoever.

Though I get the impression advanced classes aren't actually available in the demo; they don't show up in the class menu even when you master an intermediate class.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Someone I know elsewhere grinded out an Advance Seal and no Advance classes.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Does every conversation choice not have a chance at support up or am I just really bad at reading the room?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

A talking coyote posted:

Does every conversation choice not have a chance at support up or am I just really bad at reading the room?

I’ve definitely had like 6 support ups

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I managed to get to 80 achievements. I wanted to try to get to 100 just for the gimmick of getting Anna's battalion in the demo, but it would take like 20 more hours of grinding to manage it, since all I have left are things like 100 perfect guards, 1000 perfect dodges, 1000 generals killed, 30k soldiers killed, billions of ice/lightning/wind procs etc.

Can confirm that no advanced classes show up just because you get a seal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

Ah, that's it, I was looking at the map sprites, not the art sprites. (And when I was looking in the data days ago I didn't spot anything from Catherine/Cyril and so on). Rhea does have a separate head and body model sprite in the map sprites like the confirmed PCs do.

Following up on this: data miners are pretty sure now that Rhea actually is playable, or at least was intended to be playable at some point. Rather than merged head/face sprites they're now assuming playability based off the existence of a tactical skill - which Rhea has - which would only need to exist if the player could give that unit orders on the map.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
dataminers schmataminers, obviously Rhea is going to be playable, even if only as an optional post-game unit with no plot impact; doing otherwise would be like releasing Hyrule Warriors with no Ganondorf

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dataminers schmataminers, obviously Rhea is going to be playable, even if only as an optional post-game unit with no plot impact; doing otherwise would be like releasing Hyrule Warriors with no Ganondorf

Looks like my first instinct was right to not trust Rhea and Seteth, if she's being compared to Ganondorf. Though this is also probably partially because of the Japanese trope of "church is always evil."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh no.

The discourse.

It has followed us.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
dogg don't read the spoilers! the tags are there for you!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looks like my first instinct was right to not trust Rhea and Seteth, if she's being compared to Ganondorf. Though this is also probably partially because of the Japanese trope of "church is always evil."

If you haven't played three houses yet, this thread is inevitably going to spoil the entire plot of it here so beware.

Three Hopes' plot is looking like timey wimey shenanigans happened after Three Houses to reverse everything, and the same events are going to happen again but actually way different this time because of some crucial change, a la the Evangelion movies and FF7 Remake. Expect people to be talking about those differences a lot, which by necessity means talking about the original game.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 14, 2022

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

I managed to get to 80 achievements. I wanted to try to get to 100 just for the gimmick of getting Anna's battalion in the demo, but it would take like 20 more hours of grinding to manage it, since all I have left are things like 100 perfect guards, 1000 perfect dodges, 1000 generals killed, 30k soldiers killed, billions of ice/lightning/wind procs etc.

Can confirm that no advanced classes show up just because you get a seal.

Having done it, I can say with no small amount of regret that you can't even use the battalion due to lacking anyone with B rank Authority. That said, doing elemental damage is way, way easier than you'd think but gently caress did it take a long time so save yourself and quit while ahead.

But yeah, no advanced classes in the demo.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

doesnt the opening cutscene of three hopes kind of spoil one of the Big Twists* in three houses? this game seems like its very much expecting you to have obsessively played the first

*okay so Flayn and Seteth are about as obvious as can be but they ATTEMPT to hide the fact that they're Old As Balls

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

doesnt the opening cutscene of three hopes kind of spoil one of the Big Twists* in three houses? this game seems like its very much expecting you to have obsessively played the first

*okay so Flayn and Seteth are about as obvious as can be but they ATTEMPT to hide the fact that they're Old As Balls

In general game really looks to me like it’s expecting you’ve already played 3 Houses beforehand.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah this feels like a Persona 5 Strikers kind of situation where it's a direct follow up to the previous title, not a spinoff.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, the narrative seems like it's built around "You already know how this goes normally, so let's get right to the weird and interesting stuff".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also at least in the demo a ton of how the game is structured feels like a direct response to some of the most common criticisms of 3H.

-Byleth was a boring weird mute? Okay here's a new protagonist with dialogue and an actual personality, hell even Byleth talks now because why not?
-White Clouds is a boring slog that takes way too long? Alright nerd it's over in two chapters now.
-Almost all the Part 2's felt rushed with you just teleporting from one important location to another with no obstacles along the way? Congrats Part 2's the whole game now and you're on campaign with minor battles between you and the major objectives.
-It was dumb that your army packed up and went all the way back to the Monastery each month between big battles? Monastery is gone then, and you've got a forward operating base instead.
-Crimson Flower was obviously incomplete and unpolished? Well now it's (at least so far) the most polished, with way more vignettes into the context of what is actually happening.
-Monica had a cool design and 3H did nothing with her? Come on down the newest BE.
-There are tons of seemingly important side characters like Holst and the Empire nobles who are talked about constantly but you never actually get so much as a glimpse of? They're all here on-screen now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sydin posted:

-White Clouds is a boring slog that takes way too long? Alright nerd it's over in two chapters now.

This seems less like a response to criticism and more like evidence that they don't need to spend as long establishing the characters and their dynamics with a drawn-out school simulator since that's already a game you can play if you want. They almost seem to wink at that in the Crimson Blaze plot, where Dorothea has a camp conversation worrying about having to fight their friends soon and Shez can point out that the officer school closed after three weeks two years ago, so they're acquaintances at best.

The comparison to Persona 5 Strikers feels apt, in the sense that the game feels like a bit of a victory lap or extended edition for fans of the original. Everybody's dads showing up doesn't feel like it was rectifying an inadequacy in the first game, it feels like the developers saying "did you want to see if Caspar and Lindhardt's dads act exactly the same as their sons? They do!"

I could believe we'll learn there's some kind of time shenanigans going on, with Arval existing and being attached to Shez being the pivot point. In the original timeline, Shez is just a fashion-disaster young punk mercenary that Byleth cut down before Three Houses even began, but this time Arval exists and has been paired with them. Are they maybe an Agarthan super-weapon? A contingency sent back in time by Those Who Slither In The Dark in the event of their defeat, meant to stop Byleth and Sothis from stopping them? Or could all this have been Byleth and Sothis's doing, maybe using their Divine Pulse in an attempt to craft a better outcome for Fodlan?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dogg don't read the spoilers! the tags are there for you!

I can't help it I have a compulsion to click black boxes! :negative:

At least it only confirmed something I already suspected rather than telling me something I had no idea of.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least it only confirmed something I already suspected rather than telling me something I had no idea of.

Well, you've probably got a worse idea now than you did before, since you're missing the context.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
game good once it stopped trying to guilt trip me for killing anime university students

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Twelve by Pies posted:

If it helps, comparing Rhea to Ganondorf isn't really fair. She's more like the king of Hyrule, if the king of Hyrule had enough skeletons in his closet to fill up half the castle because he'd been fighting Ganondorf for so long that he made some very questionable decisions.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cloacamazing! posted:

If it helps, comparing Rhea to Ganondorf isn't really fair. She's more like the king of Hyrule, if the king of Hyrule had enough skeletons in his closet to fill up half the castle because he'd been fighting Ganondorf for so long that he made some very questionable decisions.

I dunno I personally think Rhea is much more hardcore than Ganon. Ganon never threatened to rip my heart of my chest.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cloacamazing! posted:

She is basically Cia from Hyrule Warriors. Just replace 'wants to bone Link' with 'wants to revive her mom'. And we're goin all in on some real questionable magic to do it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well I'm now in Scarlet Blaze. It's good to see Zhang Jiao still gets to take part in rebellions in Fodlan. I've got the camp now, but it seems like the armorer only sells the base level weapons (doesn't seem like it even has leather shields, unless I missed something), and the blacksmith is nowhere to be found either. Admittedly I've stopped for the night before doing the first battle in this chapter, so it's possible the blacksmith unlocks at some point after. I did get the C support conversation between Shez and Edel which was nice.

Two important questions. One, is there really no way to go back to older levels to try for a better score? That's a little annoying as a musou fan if there's no real Free Mode, I guess it makes sense in the context of the story and what they're doing, but the game scores you on how well you cleared the level and gives rewards for it. The last few battles I've ended up with an rear end score, since they're new levels and I was getting a feel for them so my completion time was a little high, and that gives me an A rank overall, meaning I've missed out on S rank rewards. And I figure they wouldn't put anything super rare or unique behind them, but even if it's just a Bullion or something, it's still a good item I would like to get, and if I can't that's a little frustrating.

Two, is there always a "right" answer when you're given a choice in conversations out of battle? By "right" I mean "will increase support bonds." I've gotten into a few conversations with characters that gave me a choice, and picked what I felt was the right one, but didn't get a bond increase. A good example is Ferdinand, I talked to him in the camp and he was like "Let's go out there and do our best" and I was given two choices which were basically "Be enthusiastic about it" or "Blow him off." I obviously chose to be enthusiastic, but I didn't get a bond increase. And it's hard to imagine that blowing him off would increase it, but that's why I'm asking. I don't know if I made a wrong choice, or if the choice didn't really matter.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

For Ferdie, I didn't get points with him when I blew him off accidentally. I think for some choices, none of the options will give you points.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Its still the demo, so none of the shops are gonna give you much at this point unfortunately.

To answer your first question, the first three maps don’t appear to be replayable, but all you’re missing out on is I believe a bullion, a +200 hp item, and a +2 res item. Once you hit chapter 4, replays open up.

To your second, it hasn’t mattered so far which choice, so pick your personal preferance.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The marketplace has upgrades to get better weapons sold at it. It does not sell shields. The blacksmith is not available in the demo yet. Likely coming with the next 'chapter'.

It's a demo. We don't know if there's a free play mode or not in the full game.

Not every conversation has an option to gain support points.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think the weirdest thing about this game is the fact that some support levels dont include support conversations, just the rank. I got Claude & Marianne to Rank C and the game was just like "oh, good job." but nothing else.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

i think the weirdest thing about this game is the fact that some support levels dont include support conversations, just the rank. I got Claude & Marianne to Rank C and the game was just like "oh, good job." but nothing else.

Yeah that is disappointing.

Anyway I have gotten to the timeskip in Verdant Wildfire which is surprising and I cannot imagine being the person who is doing this before three houses because it just kind of went 'oh yeah BTW the axe girl you met before wants to invade you now so you gotta fight her'.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We don't know what will be replayable in the full version, but I've noted that all the main missions only give stat boosters and money for S-ranks, while fancier things like weapons and items are tied to the replayable side missions.

Blacksmith is definitely coming next chapter; the reward for the mission we can't yet play is a Rusted Sword.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope the game has costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

FEW was like this except you only got convos at A rank and nothing else, and even then not every pair had them. So this is technically an upgrade to that

Just think of it as RD's support system except with some actual conversations.