Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epi Lepi posted:

You should probably watch some of her supports from 3H because this game assumes you know all of her traumas and issues, I don't think it ever directly restates the information that we learn about her in the DLC. I would say the same for the rest of the Ashen Wolves tbh, they're all great characters, but I think that Hapi suffers the most from the game assuming you have all the information already.

I did, and she still hasn't made a good impression on me. Oh look it's another depressed alien abductee.

I think all the Ashen Wolves are kind of trash, honestly. They feel very... fanficcy, like they're always two or three steps ahead of the plot.

And when Hopes can't even be bothered to notice Hapi's in the story beyond a whopping two support conversations with Shez, well, that's that.

Something I'd wish I'd noticed, though, was that Dimitri has up through A supports with Bernie. I doubt I have enough time to wrangle that left in the game, but definitely something I'll want to shoot for if I ever play Azure Gleam again. I've generally been enjoying the game so far, even if I do think that this character roster has officially gotten too drat big with the addition of the Deer.

Another thing for that future playthrough, Rodrigue's MAG is far, far higher than his STR. Dark Bishop Rodrigue next time I play Azure Gleam?

Edit: Also, there's no way that Dimitri/Felix A support didn't off-camera end with "And then they boned so hard it triggered Dimitri's support innate."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cythereal posted:

And when Hopes can't even be bothered to notice Hapi's in the story beyond a whopping two support conversations with Shez, well, that's that.

I'm gonna let you down now and tell you none of the Ashen Wolves are part of the plot and that is simply because they were DLC additions from Three Houses who already didn't slot into the main game story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hapi, Balthus, and Constance basically just show up and do their gimmick in Three Hopes. But Yuri finally has something to actually do now, at least in Azure Gleam, and his whole "shady crime boss" schtick is all the better when it's taken out of a school-adjacent scenario.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

the ashen wolves are my friends and it was cool to hang out with them more

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

roomtwofifteen posted:

Agreed.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Balthus is my strongest/highest-level character besides Shez since he's available in every route and there's not many default brawlers in the main house rosters, he gets deployed a lot. Plus his personal ability is amazing for amplifying your gold rewards which are ultimately the main thing you're grinding for to do all your forging and buying levels, etc. Plus his supports are usually pretty fun, especially with Edelgard. In short, Balthus is real, and strong, and he is my friend.

The other wolves are much less standout. It is nice that Yuri has a little more story relevance in Hopes, but I've got a glut of sword users as it is, so he sees very little actual action in my squad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Lions don't seem to have a native brawler in Hopes, so I've been using Sylvain for that and it meshes beautifully with his innate.

Gold is no concern now that I have Despoil on Shez, Felix, Ashe, Annette, and Flayn. :v:

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Hapi stands out most on SB, where she gets some unique stuff with Edelgard and Lysithea.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Balthus is great, fits right in with the major Deer too. Having a grappler to replace Raphael was nice for me, since training and food really don’t do it for me as character traits

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

roomtwofifteen posted:

they're the best house

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Black Eagles: drama club
Blue Lions: athletics
Golden Deer: study hall
Ashen Wolves: anime club

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Edelgard :handshake: Hapi
girls who were experimented on as children and held in contempt by that one poster

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bongo Bill posted:

I think I'd reverse Deer and Wolves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I thought it was amusing how this chapter's paralogue had all the senior Blue Lions turn to the camera and tell the player that Faerghus wouldn't value Crests and Relics half as much as they do if people would just stop loving invading their country.

I've liked how Hopes has really been emphasizing that Faerghus, ultimately, is poor. It's a harsh land. Rich in mineral resources, yes, and they breed the best horses and pegasi in Fodlan. But the climate is awful, the land isn't fertile, and they're perpetually under threat of invasion, while the richest and most powerful nation on Fodlan considers their existence illegitimate. It's a land that clings to its faith and its martial pride because they have precious little else and almost everyone they share a border with wants them crushed under their boot.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

I thought it was amusing how this chapter's paralogue had all the senior Blue Lions turn to the camera and tell the player that Faerghus wouldn't value Crests and Relics half as much as they do if people would just stop loving invading their country.

I've liked how Hopes has really been emphasizing that Faerghus, ultimately, is poor. It's a harsh land. Rich in mineral resources, yes, and they breed the best horses and pegasi in Fodlan. But the climate is awful, the land isn't fertile, and they're perpetually under threat of invasion, while the richest and most powerful nation on Fodlan considers their existence illegitimate. It's a land that clings to its faith and its martial pride because they have precious little else and almost everyone they share a border with wants them crushed under their boot.

Perhaps if they didn't want the Sreng to invade them they should not have taken their land.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

A poor land that clings to its faith, even as that faith denies them a quick fix for their crop problems because eh, gently caress 'em.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
"Why oh why do people keep attacking us" asks Faerghus from the burning ruins of genocided+colonized Duscur, only a few years after having conquered and stolen a full half of Sreng (implied to be the better half, with their only real port), whose national founding myth involved making off with half of the Empire's land and most of their Relics and then later it's greatest defensive structure, while having also yoinked a Relic and the better part of a 'blessed' bloodline away from the Alliance.

Gee, I just don't know. I guess everyone around Faerghus must just be mindlessly aggressive and the only way Faerghus can secure peace is to keep pushing it's borders out further and further. Now, there are some Alliance lords we might be able to 'persuade' to switch sides against the Alliance and get their accompanying land in the bargain.

-

The Kingdom's claims to 'our weapons are defensive' ring real hollow when they're the nation with the single longest history of violently colonialism, who committed an actual genocide in living memory specifically (by those in power and making the decisions) to steal the land of the genocided group. Maybe 'all those weapons and bloodlines' wouldn't be necessary if Faerghus taught it's populace that the people of foreign nations were actually, you know, people who could be talked to rather than giving kids swords before they learn to write and bringing them up on tales about how all Srengians are violent and bloodthirsty demons.

It can't be overstated that Faerghus shares the "Made a serious attempt at committing genocide to steal clay" category with pre-history Nabateans and The loving Slytherins.

-

E: Someone else covered the dark irony of Faerghus, in it's obsequience to tradition, shielding the very organization that has intentionally been starving them into compliance for centuries.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bongo Bill posted:

lol drat that's scary

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also love that Sylvain's paralogue highlights his astonishing political acumen through mastering the doctrine of treating the foreigner as an equal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do you people ever give it a rest.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you people ever give it a rest.

When people acknowledge the correct fact that every Blue Lion is better on non-AM routes then I can finally die in peace.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Black Eagles: fascist
Golden Deer: racist
Blue Lions: fascist and racist
Ashen Wolves: stinky

fixed it for you

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still here demanding the evil villain summoning ring in FE Engage summons all three house leaders. The discourse will sustain me for a thousand years.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like azure gleam specifically because the context that it provides to edelgard's actions in every other route. it reframes her away from being both incompetent and evil, and more like she actually does have to carefully maneuver around the bad people she's allied with, rather than the audience being told that she has to do that while doing whatever she wants with no consequences like in crimson flower

the ending sucks but the ending of all of the routes in three hopes are bad so it doesn't really stand out to me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That is Azure Gleam complete.

Not the best paced game, it was dragging pretty badly in the final stretch, and I think I would have preferred a more expansive ending to the game, but all in all a satisfying experience, and a surprising one at that. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this game as much as I did, once I got accustomed to how it played.

I liked the story pretty well. It's mostly what I wanted out of a new Faerghus story, and I think the Blue Lions crew really benefited from the opportunity to see a different side of the characters and their personalities.

The game even an idea I wrote about in the regular Three Houses thread: Edelgard getting Dimitri on her side by pointing to the Agarthans and going "Those are the people responsible for Duscur! Let's kill those motherfuckers!" Doesn't quite go as hoped, but I was smiling pretty hard.

I just think that ultimately, all the stuff with Arval and Epimenedes dragged the story down way more than it helped. That all felt very Final Fantasy, and I mean that as a derogatory comparison.

Still, sure beats slogging through White Clouds again, and I finally got bisexual Ingrid at the end.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How long did it take for DLC to be announced after Calamity's release? With Engage coming out in a few months, will we get Hopes DLC? :ohdear:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I hope so but it's not feeling like a sure thing. Calamity I think said there would be a season pass even before launch but didn't elaborate further until like 6 months after release.

So we're not quite at the same point of the actual first DLC trailer but Hopes didn't have any DLC mentions before launch.

There's datamined info that implies Hanneman, Alois, Cyril and some others I forget, will be fully playable at some point. No guarantees though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, making those guys playable would not improve the game. It gives you too many characters already.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A bottom of the barrel pack doesn’t seem like the best dlc choice, yeah (not that I would personally consider Hanneman and Alois to be bottom barrel)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It will if Hanneman gives the entire class/skill exp boost for the entire team as their unique skill

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, making those guys playable would not improve the game. It gives you too many characters already.

None of them would see the field for me but I will obsessively unlock all of their supports in the hope of some gold in there.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cyril is the absolute worst. One of the best decisions this game made in the first place was excluding him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nah.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Cyril absolutely needed better content in the main game and a better first introduction. He's got some interesting backstory and interesting supports. But nobody's going to be using him when his first impression is all "lady rhea lady rhea".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I never used Cyril because he's too drat young. Lysithea and Petra as 15 year olds at the game start are borderline as it is, but Cyril looks and sounds too much like a kid for me to be comfortable sending him into combat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lmao I'm the exact opposite. I love my child soldiers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ferdinand: "You are truly the noblest of nobles!"

Lorenz: "Nay, your humility shows that you are truly the noblest of nobles!"

Constance: "Actually, I am the nobles of nobles!"

Shez: "Y'all selling tickets?"

Ferdinand, Lorenz, Constance: "We shall have A TOURNAMENT!"

Fire Emblem Three Hopes is a serious game about war and the cost of making your ideals a reality.

The paralogue did in fact take into account who got the most kills. Constance was the furthest behind in levels, so the one who was egging everyone on the first place ended up winning. Ferdinand and Lorenz had to console each other with the finest of tea and tea cakes and their dicks.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 23, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I needed a break from Splatoon so I picked this back up. I am a weirdo and having to change game cards is a big obstacle for me, so I hadn’t played in a while. I immediately S-ranked the last mission I beat so now I am feeling good about moving forward. Maybe I’ll actually beat it and help my bff Edelgard conquer the continent.

Edit: there was just a small patch, v1.0.2. Not sure what it does yet (probably only a tiny update)

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 7, 2022

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Patch notes here. Mostly just crash fixes, not that I ever ran into any issues on that front.

BUT, it does appear that in the "other issues", the finally fixed the bug where Apex <Weapon> skills would decrease crit damage instead of increasing. Now they properly give a whopping 1.5x multiplier to crits which is pretty massive if you've got a build that crits with any regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hargrimm posted:

Patch notes here. Mostly just crash fixes, not that I ever ran into any issues on that front.

BUT, it does appear that in the "other issues", the finally fixed the bug where Apex <Weapon> skills would decrease crit damage instead of increasing. Now they properly give a whopping 1.5x multiplier to crits which is pretty massive if you've got a build that crits with any regularity.

This game is going on sale for Black Friday so they probably wanted to fix stuff in preparation for more people buying it. I played for a couple hours last night and beat chapter 4, game is good and fun.