Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I've been gradually going through Golden Wildfire on Hard and having a pretty good time. I'm just before chapter 11, after recruiting Byleth and Jeralt. The main story missions and a paralogues feel pretty well-balanced for going for S-Ranks, with some of them coming down to the wire. Didn't manage the Dierdru S-rank early on, but I think I could have squeaked it out if I banged my head against it for another hour or two. The side missions leading up to the story events are all incredibly easy so far (with the exception of the bastard challenge condition of "you can't dodge," which the game is really not designed for), but I'm glad that they're there. It's nice to have easy fights to do a bit of training and try things in a more casual setting, especially now that I've got master classes and the move sets are changing again. I also like that training makes it so easy to train up classes you don't use for cool passives. Basically everyone's dabbled in the Fighter tree to get Deathblow or Wild Abandon from Brigand, and Armsthrift from Archer and Offensive Tactics from Wyvern Rider are great too, and characters with elemental passives want Fiendish Blow and the Essence of X skills if they can get them... I wish Innate Abilities weren't hidden, but they seem like a cool incentive to diversify some.

Tying attack string expansion to weapon ranks is a cool idea, but probably should have had a little more explicit tutorializing, because it took me a while to notice. It's a real shame that the mage move set is so bad, but at least it's pretty easy to get magic swords; Lysithea is great with swords and I'm looking forward to her getting to use Thunderbrand with her magic stat. I've gotten way less lucky with magic spears, so Marianne is suffering in comparison, but apparently offensive stats don't matter that much? The Archer move set does suffer some from a similar lack of mobility in the normal attack string, but its strong finishers are better there, so it's better to use. Claude's special archer class is fine too. Haven't used Bow Knight yet, so we'll see. Swords, axes, fists, cavalry and fliers all feel good to use, though the camera isn't quite there for fliers. I think my favorite move set is Thief, because swords feel good in general and it's also very funny to use the class action to just infinite combo carry a person from one stronghold to the next stronghold. Dark Knight might beat it now that I'm starting to use it in earnest, especially since the Essence of X abilities incentivize different characters to focus on different finishers. That's cool and I'd like to see more things like that.

My one mechanical complaint so far is that the "increase effect of forging" upgrades shouldn't be there, because they make it less fun to use those resources early on. I haven't really used the Blacksmith as a result. This does mean I had the supplies to do a bunch of early upgrading of the facilities and enough Umbral Steel to get the unlocks on the Hero's Relics when they became available, so I guess it was fine in the end...? It's a weird spot of dissonance in systems I'm otherwise pretty happy with.

Story-wise, it's all been good so far. Actual Claude is a great character and they've handled him well, and Shez is a good character for his role. Holst feels like a good example of how a character can have two character traits and still be good so long as those traits are handled well enough. The character recruitment is a little weirdly done, but no one hates it in the Alliance camp (Bernadetta is obviously being played entirely for comedy), so it's fine enough; I'm sure it's much stranger on the other routes.

I might actually do all the routes in this one! Shame it doesn't seem to be getting any DLC, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU