Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm early in Azure Gleam, chapter 5 I think. I decided to do my least favorite house first to get all of my early mistakes out of the way. Can someone link me to a post or article of like "Things I Wish I Knew When I Started" like what should I be saving/spending my gold on, is there a point to mastering classes I don't intend characters to use, best ways to gain supports between units? Any first timer tips would be appreciated. Been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers but I wanna make sure I'm not loving things up as I go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
When and how should I be using my activity points? Use them all up at the beginning of the chapter? Cook immediately and then hold the rest till the end? Do I spam chores or expeditions? I want to maximize supports.

Speaking of which, I've heard on twitter you can get locked out of some support chains if you wait too long, is that true and is there a list available of who and when?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Eimi posted:

No after you finish the final map you can load up that save file and finish things up before starting NG+.

I am starring down the barrel of NG+ Azure Gleam just to get Lysithea her sword. I hate the Kingdom and I don't want to play this route so I'm pondering setting it to easy to see how fast I can blitz through it with just Shez and Mercedes.

I started with AG because they’re my least favorite house but the Faerguus world building is pretty neat. And they may be my least favorite house but I still love Sylvain, Felix, and Annette so it’s not like I’m suffering.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Inu posted:

Are there a lot of supports that you can miss the opportunity to get? I was surprised when I got Claude and Holst to C, because apparently I already "missed the chance to deepen their bond". It's a little disappointing since I'm guessing these two are exclusive to this route.

How early are you? I’ve seen lots of chatter of missing supports but no one ever says what chapter they are on when they realize they’re locked out.

I’m chapter 9 of AG and I haven’t had that problem yet but I micromanage my training and chores to focus on building supports. Everyone is at least C with all the route specific supports and many are almost through B.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Clawtopsy posted:

If he were a real-life person, I would agree. Thankfully, Dimitri von Fireemblem is an imaginary character in a video game so him going apeshit is good and interesting, actually.

This is still the case in Azure Moon.

It was stupid in AM though because they absolutely should not have been relying on him. That choice made every person in AM a worse character. AM would have been good if Felix and Annette could have defected in the final game. Or just had some sort of actual conflict instead of “ man Dimitri seems unwell, he should still lead the army tho, no question. Oops Rodrigue is dead and that somehow fixed everything!”

Also Divine Right of Kings is boring. AG is much more interesting now that they’re actually elaborating on the political climate of the Kingdom. At least as of chapter 9(?) where I am I feel that way.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
What are the rules for Dancer in this game? Still only one? I'm not far enough in AG to have encountered it yet.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm a single chapter from the end of AG and I have like 20 supports I need to get with characters not in other routes. It's kinda annoying.

Meanwhile Shez has maxed out A ranks with literally everyone recruitwble, but Dedue is still not b rank with Ingrid...

How many chapters are there? Part II throws a ton of new recruits at you and I have concerns about getting all of the supports. I just started Part II so I assume I have some time, but I'm not sure how much.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Eimi posted:

If he's riding a horse he doesn't have to run around.

I just did that map in AG last night and that was my exact thought.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I get sad looking at Great Knight Dedue and might just keep him as an advanced class just so he has a better outfit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Do we know for sure there will be DLC or are we just assuming because most musous have it and 3Houses itself had DLC?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Anecdotally I didn't notice any slowdown in the fandom (as far as fanart/fictions being created) for Three Houses until right before Three Hopes was announced so the audience was still there. I'd imagine there's a significant amount of people like me who've had brainworms for these characters since 2019 and were thrilled to get more of them, even in a different style of game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Amppelix posted:

thanks for the clarification but i just wanted to know if there's been some kind of official word on all this that i've missed or if we're all just speculating here!

No official word but IMO datamined info turns the question of DLC from "if" to "when".

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I've already got Balthus' ability; though tbh, if I'm struggling to find the motivation to S rank maps, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to put in the effort to hit the caps. Though free money is free money even if you don't go for the max i suppose

Unless the reward is a relic tier weapon or a battalion there's no way I'm wasting my life trying to get an S rank. Unfortunately I had to do the Ch 14 AG fight 3 times because I wanted that Sword of Moralta for Felix and I kept running over time or taking too much damage.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Clawtopsy posted:

Allegra Clark is perfect.

:emptyquote:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am learning this now for the first time and would never have guessed

professional VAs rule

Caspar and Lorenz are also voiced by the same person.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Finished AG and man, y'all weren't kidding that the ending is 30 seconds long lol. What the hell is up with that.

jimmydalad posted:

Let’s not forget that while the Empire and Alliance have their own problems, there’s the whole bucket of worms that is the Kingdom and how resistant to change they are with an almost fanatical worship of crests. I don’t remember Dimitri ever expressing that change is needed now even with how crazy the kingdom is or is one of those wish-washy “these things take time”.

Dimitri repeatedly says in AG that change can't come while the Kingdom still can't even feed its populace and even if he agrees that the Church is iffy the Church is what gives him the right to rule and without them there'd be endless succession wars. On one hand he's sort of valid, but on the other he's the prototypical person of privilege telling the oppressed that they just need to be patient cause it's not the right time for change.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Very important question, does Hilda still chant her own name in battle at any point because that was excellent in Three Houses. I love the wink she does after her warrior special, but still a good "Hilda! Hilda! Hilda!" chant would be nice.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Terrible news. I will say I wish there were a few choices for lines when you assign someone to attack. In my AG run Ashe saying "I'm a little nervous about this" every single time I told him to attack something started to drive me nuts, and now even early in GW I'm tiring of hearing Hilda say "slack off."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sapozhnik posted:

The Nabateans as rulers were hated to the extent that Rhea wasn't able to overwrite that aspect of history. She just left out the part about who exactly it was that the ten elites actually liberated Fodlan from.

I don't understand the appeal of this game and I regret buying it.

The gameplay is uninteresting and puddle-deep. I knew that going in and I expected that at least the story would do something interesting. It really did seem like it was going to do something interesting around chapter ~7 and then ... nothing happened. For the entire game. The war doesn't even end, there's just a tiny little text scroll explaining the immediate following events that seems for all the world like a fake ending but that's the actual real ending of the game. The kindest thing I can say about this game is that it gives you a bunch of extra support conversation cutscenes because the main story sucks rear end. The developers wanted this to be a second-class spinoff game and/or didn't want to have too "happy" an outcome that would have "invalidated" Houses and any of its selection of possible endings.

Obviously Musous have a market but I am completely unable to understand it.

Button mashing a billion dudes into oblivion is fun.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sapozhnik posted:

I must have missed the part where there was any character development whatsoever but then I only played the Lions route.

There are some differences in characterization that happened off-screen at the beginning of the game but that's about it.

The lions are weird cause they've all had a bunch of character development, it just all happened in the 2 year timeskip. Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain and Rodrigue in particular are all very different from their pre and post timeskip versions in Three Houses.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well for one easy payment of 29.99….

I've already factored it into my budget for the rest of the year.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

jimmydalad posted:

So I’ve gotten some supports for Hilda.

Was she always this gay?

Not that I’m complaining.

According to my AO3 bookmarks, yes absolutely.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cattail Prophet posted:

Shez is fifth wheeling the hell out of that double date.

There's a lot to unpack here, drat. I especially like the one author singlehandedly propping up Lysithea/Claude, the nine whole Alois fics, and the fact that there are people that apparently feel the need to write self insert fics when there's literally already a self insert character.

Side note: are there really that many more trans HCs and/or genderswap AUs for the guys than the girls, or are those numbers just a side effect of how the aggregator counted fics with multiple ships?

I love that an author named "cathrheas" wrote 37% of the Catherine/Rhea fics, love the commitment to the bit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Clawtopsy posted:

Some of the recruits feel bad. Dorothea in Azure Gleam is the forerunner for me, but Ashe in SB/GW is hot on her heels. Kinda tragic the only way Ashe can be “happy” is to kill the guy that took him and his family off the streets when he found them stealing from him in a starving desperation.

Everything to do with Lonato in AG felt a lot less weightier than 3 Houses.

Dorothea is so sad in AG and they gave her only one small AG specific support so it’s like what is the point here, why have you done this?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I honestly doubt that Lonato actually thinks he can succeed. I think he's trying to suicide by cop knight but because he's a Lord he's dragging his whole territory into it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Eimi posted:

Holst strikes me as a guy who doesn't really know what sex is. Like Goku or Dante.

He's Kiryu, simultaneously a virgin and the man with the highest body count in Kamurocho Leicester. He also has a bunch of homoerotic sworn brothers and devotes himself to his adopted daughter sister above all else.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Disagree. It's so hetero that it stack overflows to being non-hetero.

This is Balthus in a nutshell to me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Clawtopsy posted:

Do AG next so you don't end on that note.

This in my opinion.

I have finished my AG and GW runs and I'm slightly burned out. Part of me really wants to get those black eagles supports, but part of me wants to put the game aside until we hear DLC news.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Yinlock posted:

"Seeking permission" isn't exactly how I'd put leaning on the alliance border until the nobles turncoat out of self-preservation(or, in Acheron's case, just being The Traitor Guy). As Claude notes in GW, she's not just going to stop and go home after taking Faerghus.

I never called her that, I just said she's an rear end in a top hat. Whether that's justified or not is a debate that has been done to death forever and I'm not interested in dredging it up for the 80th time.

I just note she tends to get Weird when it comes to the alliance.

I'm doing Lions last personally but from what I hear it sounds real dire. Which is weird because it was my favorite route in Houses, probably because it's the only one that was actually finished.

Like AM was great because it was a very personal story that involved as little of those slithery fucks at possible, why make the Hopes route entirely about them.

I liked AM the least (granted I did not play SS), because it was so divorced from TWSITD. They're the real story of the game and I just can't get it up for a bad mental illness stereotype and the Divine Right of Kings. I like Dimitri sometimes but I really hate how all of the other lions, even Felix, just go along with all of Dimitri's worst impulses and ideas until he finally snaps out of being crazy.

I didn't hate AG because it actually dealt with TWSITD and Dimitri's issues are handled much better in my opinion. What I didn't like is that some characters felt weird compared to their 3H characterization and there's a really really dumb bullshit plotpoint in that route re: Edelgard

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Cmon chill out. This isn't debate club. I do not wish to return to the dark days of 2019 discourse in this thread.

gently caress that edelgard did nothing wrong, dimitri is a bastard man, i wanna kiss claude

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm going insane waiting for the inevitable DLC to be announced. I need to plan my life here! Can't risk burning out before we get actual endings beachwear outfits!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I gave my first Merc Whistle to Sylvain because having more attack range on my most devastating unit is very useful for getting those S ranks in enemies defeated.

Second I did Hapi because I thought her supports with Shez were cute. Whoever you give the whistle to writes you a letter at the end of the game which is neat. I already forgot who I gave it to on SB.

I'm in Ch 14 or 15 of SB and I'm really starting to burn out but I'm so close to the end I have to close it out. Knowing my luck as soon as I do they will finally announce DLC.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

According to the recruitment guide I'm using, Lysithea is not available in Azure Gleam.

Hapi, eh. They didn't even have a C support talk, just a green 'you are now level C!' announcement, and her personality is repellant to me. At least she perked up after the Lions found themselves openly facing Agartha as the bad guys.

I also find it amusing how annoyed Arval is getting that I'm picking the options for Shez to decide she likes it in Faerghus, believes in what Dimitri is doing, and she's ready to let the past be the past with Byleth.

There's a lot of neat little world-building details in Hopes, like Rodrigue explaining that pegasi are a symbol of Faerghus because they can deliver messages and supplies even during winter when intense snowfall cuts off many travel routes in the Kingdom, and Sylvain pointing out that it's not your imagination, everyone in Faerghus loves heavy robes and fancy cloaks, they're both fashionable and incredibly warm during the harsh Faerghus winters.

????? Repellent? You gotta elaborate cause that's a wild take that I just don't understand.

Hapi calls Hubert "The Bert" and is so incredibly gay for Constance, she's wonderful.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

This game is my first real exposure to Hapi beyond LPs (I never bought the DLC for Three Houses because none of it offered anything that interested me), and her entire character I've seen so far is "I don't want to be here, everything sucks."

I have Bernie for that already. The Lions pick her up in the first post-timeskip mission, and so far I haven't gotten a single support conversation between Hapi and anyone. Just a bunch of C support levels with no actual conversation, even with Shez.

I get the feeling that Hapi has a bigger role to play in one of the other stories. My experience with her so far is that she's an annoying personality attached to a character who's completely irrelevant to the story.

She is the only character I've gotten so far who absolutely no one else in the story has commented on her being here.

You should probably watch some of her supports from 3H because this game assumes you know all of her traumas and issues, I don't think it ever directly restates the information that we learn about her in the DLC. I would say the same for the rest of the Ashen Wolves tbh, they're all great characters, but I think that Hapi suffers the most from the game assuming you have all the information already.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

roomtwofifteen posted:

the ashen wolves are my friends and it was cool to hang out with them more

Agreed.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bongo Bill posted:

Black Eagles: drama club
Blue Lions: athletics
Golden Deer: study hall
Ashen Wolves: anime club

I think I'd reverse Deer and Wolves.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Cythereal posted:

I thought it was amusing how this chapter's paralogue had all the senior Blue Lions turn to the camera and tell the player that Faerghus wouldn't value Crests and Relics half as much as they do if people would just stop loving invading their country.

I've liked how Hopes has really been emphasizing that Faerghus, ultimately, is poor. It's a harsh land. Rich in mineral resources, yes, and they breed the best horses and pegasi in Fodlan. But the climate is awful, the land isn't fertile, and they're perpetually under threat of invasion, while the richest and most powerful nation on Fodlan considers their existence illegitimate. It's a land that clings to its faith and its martial pride because they have precious little else and almost everyone they share a border with wants them crushed under their boot.

Perhaps if they didn't want the Sreng to invade them they should not have taken their land.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you people ever give it a rest.

When people acknowledge the correct fact that every Blue Lion is better on non-AM routes then I can finally die in peace.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I hope so but it's not feeling like a sure thing. Calamity I think said there would be a season pass even before launch but didn't elaborate further until like 6 months after release.

So we're not quite at the same point of the actual first DLC trailer but Hopes didn't have any DLC mentions before launch.

There's datamined info that implies Hanneman, Alois, Cyril and some others I forget, will be fully playable at some point. No guarantees though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, making those guys playable would not improve the game. It gives you too many characters already.

None of them would see the field for me but I will obsessively unlock all of their supports in the hope of some gold in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Hilda is very gay in Golden WIldfire but I can't remember if anyone else is.