Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, we're spoilering demo stuff? I figured that would be fair game and just datamine stuff should be spoilered, but sure.

Manuela is playable in the demo, on the Edelgard route, and that same route has Hanneman hanging around camp saying he's busy doing NPC stuff but will be playable in a later chapter.

Dolash posted:

Played the demo and was genuinely shocked to learn Monica and Kronya are different people (are we spoilering things in the demo? Feels like plot revelations within the prologue would be fair game, but maybe not!). I think it helps soften Edelgard quite a bit to show her risking her whole plan to save one friend, and also retroactively makes her seem even more stone cold that she could handle acting natural around one of her "allies wearing a skin-suit of someone who admired her so much. Edelgard's coming off as a lot less dark and "ends justify the means" this time.

I always assumed Edelgard had no idea her Monica was a changeling. It never really made total sense to me either way, either Edelgard spent a whole lot of time doing Slithery schemes with this minor character, or Edelgard was really callous about letting her girlfriend's dad get murdered by her schemes. I think Three Hopes ties them up quite nice; the real Monica was an aspiring Hubert, and thus her fake is allowed to Hubert without arousing Eddy's suspicions.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I see the chain of events that lead to Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire, but what exactly was the catalyst for Dimitri's stuff? Rufus going full despot and straight up admitting he did all the war crimes obviously didn't happen in Three Houses, or at least the latter didn't. It's not even a cascade effect of the Edelgard stuff because Cornelia is there after all of the non-Fhirdiad fighting has been handled off-screen and she still doesn't know what happened in Enbarr.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DC Murderverse posted:

Rufus made a play for the throne, assisted by Cornelia. He always had a claim to it as the older brother of the previous king but he publicly made the accusation that the House of Fraldarius was going to use Dimitri as a puppet to suit their own ends once he ascended to the throne, and that Rufus was the true king and would be a better one since he’s already been regent. Basically a coup, which is different from Azure Moon because there Cornelia killed Rufus herself and framed Dimitri.

Yeah, I get all of that except I'd forgotten exactly how Rufus leaves the picture in Three Houses, thanks for the reminder. What's puzzling me is why things play out that way in this alternate timeline. The other two plots lay out pretty clearly why things are happening that wouldn't have happened with Professor Byleth, but this seems out of the blue.

Cloacamazing! posted:

In Scarlet Blaze before Edelgard's coup, Arundel tells his subordinates to warn Cornelia, so hearing of his failure probably escalated her plans. It's not immediately obvious if you haven't played Dimitri's route first, because he uses Cornelia's real name, which as far as I know is only revealed there. And gender, apparently the Slither playing her is actually male.

Yeah that's what I assumed, having played Scarlet Blaze first, but IIRC he specifically says that Cleobulus shouldn't do anything rash, and when we see Cornelia in Azure Gleam she says she's still waiting to find out what's actually going on. Maybe I'm just misremembering or misreading those lines, I suppose.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can only imagine fans of Bernie/Hubert haven’t seen the majesty of Bernie/Jeritza, a somehow even cuter couple.

Kanos posted:

If you feel sorry for anyone, pity poor Shamir. She joins the Deer but has C support max with literally every single character except Shez.

I can only take this to mean she has supports with a bunch of future Deer recruits. Judith/Holst/Nader/Ashen Wolves and maybe Cyril and Alois? I’m assuming most of the church crew goes with the Lions, and the Eagles already called dibs on the professors, so I figure those two probably wind up in Leicester somehow.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's horrible. I only know him from Three Houses, but the earnestness was what made Ferdinand work.

Rest in peace.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought I'd be okay with not having played Three Houses, since I played through Strikers without having played P5. It doesn't really work here though because Strikers references P5 a lot, to the point where I picked up on things pretty quickly. Plus with Sophia being a new character, things have to get explained to her a lot, and Morgana explains a lot of plot things like how Jails are different from Palaces, and "We should try doing this, because it worked the last time we were in the Metaverse." But since this is an alternate timeline, they can't really reference or explain things because they didn't happen. They definitely expect you to already be up to speed on the story in a way Strikers didn't, like I went Black Eagles and Edelgard and Hubert's conversation after rescuing Monica made no sense to me. Someone on discord was kind enough to explain why Monica being rescued changed things that Edelgard and Hubert had planned, since they now had information that they didn't find out until much later in Three Houses.

You absolutely should play Three Houses when you get the chance, but judging by the demo, I don't know how much it will matter to have played it first. The demo portion is pretty dedicated to showing how this became an alternate timeline, but I think most of the game will be focused on its own actual story and any Three Houses references will be easter eggs rather than actually necessary to understand what's going on.

I think Hubert and Edelgard's shady conversation is even understandable in retrospect once you've played through the chapter. Monica revealing that Tomas is a shapeshifting villain lets them ask the church to support them in attacking some guy in the Empire, who then gets the boot alongside half the government.

People who played Three Houses already knew those names and relationships and that helps you read the context, but all you need to know for the sake of Three Hopes is that the regent and prime minister were bad dudes that Edelgard wanted to make a move against, and that she needed some kind of probable cause to get the church and army on her side, which she got from Monica and the evil librarian. This is all shown in the demo.

There's a lot of fine detail that gets glossed over, but that is presumably because it is detail you do not need. Judging by what we've seen so far, I wager Three Hopes will tell a story that can stand on its own and doesn't need an entire other video game's worth of story to parse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
<element>sweep in general seems absurdly powerful

I've been getting free critical rushes out the wazoo with Thief Shez and Windsweep, and I dunno if thief contributes part of it, but it looks to me like the sweep is the big ticket.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You need 80 achievement points for the first advanced seals, and while I haven't crunched the numbers, I think that's theoretically doable with a lot of grinding. I've hit 40 with no concerted effort whatsoever.

Though I get the impression advanced classes aren't actually available in the demo; they don't show up in the class menu even when you master an intermediate class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
dataminers schmataminers, obviously Rhea is going to be playable, even if only as an optional post-game unit with no plot impact; doing otherwise would be like releasing Hyrule Warriors with no Ganondorf

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
dogg don't read the spoilers! the tags are there for you!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We don't know what will be replayable in the full version, but I've noted that all the main missions only give stat boosters and money for S-ranks, while fancier things like weapons and items are tied to the replayable side missions.

Blacksmith is definitely coming next chapter; the reward for the mission we can't yet play is a Rusted Sword.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That said the most popular ship on there for Byleth after the lords is Seteth so I have to put their judgment into question.

Is the questionable part that they list Dimitri and Claude above Seteth?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure he's the single least questionable pairing, in that he ticks all the boxes of "functioning," "personable," and "has never been a teenager in Byleth's care."

Well, I guess he and Hanneman, but ehhh.

Obviously Edelgard is the correct pairing for female Byleth, but there's some real questionable power dynamics at play if you really want to go there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sudden Javelin posted:

what's the worst romantic support and why is it dorothea/hanneman

all the obvious reasons aside, it could have been genuinely touching and sweet if it was basically exactly the same but not romantic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

Seteth/Bernie comes completely out of left field in the ending slide and is both creepy and kinda out of place given that Seteth has a bunch of supports with other female students that are otherwise pretty platonic.

Eh, that one bothers me less given that it states like a decade passes between the ending and their marriage. I think all of Seteth's paired endings do, actually.

Zore posted:

Byleth/Sothis is also incredibly weird and probably should not exist. Especially since Sothis spends most of the game dead again and she looks like she's 10 even as a weird disembodied spirit in Byleth's head.

That one is hella weird, yes, but I don't really read it as romantic. You don't even get a special ending slide, just "okay you don't want a paired ending, gently caress it, you can have the brain gremlin back if you want."

Like both are still off-putting, but there are far more directly off-putting endings out there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zore posted:

Byleth literally proposes to Sothis using their mother's ring. And Sothis is 100% on the romantic train.

It is a really bizarre ending. Spoilered it here, but uh I dunno how you don't read that as a romantic thing

uh ok yeah nevermind

I think I must have blocked out the actual conversation.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blaziken386 posted:

(besides, when she becomes emperor the power dynamic inverts dramatically so I never understood the Harsh Discourse surrounding edeleth in the first place)

They don't cancel each other out just because they have opposite directions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean yeah if you want to establish any kind of relationship dynamic where your partner could ever be your equal, and not just a subject who happens to be your consort, when you are the emperor, you kind of have to tear down the entire institution of feudalism first.

which,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I already pre-ordered it. :twisted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thales has a line about how he's never forgiven the Nabateans for stealing the Agarthans' "light." Everyone I've talked to insists that this is just a flowery way of saying they didn't want to be mole people, but I've always maintained there's some backstory there.

obvs their light is Arval and him being in Shez' brain is not actually part of an Agarthan super soldier program, but Rhea's fault somehow

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Ike wasn't special, other than having big muscles and knowing sword kung fu. Did he have some magical backstory reveal in Radiant Dawn I forgot about?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lunar detritus posted:

I just want to be able to recruit Lysithea into her proper house.

Lysithea was the one unit who could be recruited after chapter 13 in Three Houses, solely to give players one last chance at getting her to her correct faction.

If there are any recruitment mechanics in the game at all (I can’t imagine there won’t be), this will have to be an option.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Those were all characters leaving and rejoining you, not joining for the first time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

On another note I kind of hope that it's easier to regain training/activity points in the full game, that's the one criticism I have at the moment, but it's hard to say if it's even a problem at all since the game is pretty clearly easing you into the systems and isn't necessarily representative of what later chapters will be like.

One of the pop-ups say they replenish every time you advance the story, which I’m guessing is the main way to get them. Training gives a shitload of class exp and activities seem to be the big drivers of support points, so they look like they’re balanced by being limited.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Two things I've found that may be useful:

In the "unit guide" option, there's a little tutorial screen on the middle tab that has a little video that showcases their unique action ability. You can hit Y on this screen to get a guide to each class, which explains the class' unique combat abilities, like how holding down X after a strong attack as a mage lets you add an element to their machine gun attack, or what those little sword or fist icons some classes generate do.

E: this window can also be accessed by pressing L+X in battle! convenient!

Elemental effects stack to some extent. I haven't found a lot of use cases so far, but a big one is that Edelgard has an ability that adds fire to all attacks, and the mage's YYYX attack is a small fire AoE, which adds up to mage Edelgard's YYYX attack being five explosions with a huge radius. Presumably Claude and Dimitri can do similar things with the other strong mage attacks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to do the Blue Eagles route next. I liked almost all the Black Eagles people right away, they all seemed neat, but man Blue Lions just feels like it's full of the dullest nobodies. I guess Ashe is kind of cool, he hasn't really done anything but he seems like a good kid with his heart in the right place, and Annette is pretty good too. I do like Sylvain, but I'm playing male Shez, it's possible I'd have a much different opinion of him if I was playing female Shez.

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Huh, I like all the ones you didn't mention, and could take or leave the ones you did. Except Sylvain, dude sucks, but he is less creepy to She'z than he was in Three Houses, I'll grant him.

But yeah all houses are a step down from the Black Eagles; it's a tough competition.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

KittyEmpress posted:

Sylvain in Hopes actively talks about how he's trying to be a better person than he was years ago. Watching Felix and Dimitri be thrust into rulership where every decision could drat hundreds or thousands, and how it weighed on them made him reconsider how he wanted to be. And he chose to strive to be able to be a boon to his friends.

huh, good on him

three hopes is really pulling all the stops

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been calling them Shez Bruckner in my mind, after the mercenary captain from the prologue*, because I think it sounds like a nice mirror to Byleth Eisner.

*I don't think that was actually her name, but it's how I remember it. The paver and the ironmonger.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Edelgard also has two crests, but she keeps it secret; you can't even see her second crest in the menu until after the timeskip. It's pretty easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

And yeah, Lorenz is not a bad guy beneath the surface, but he really suffers from being in the same game and basic role as Ferdinand, who is just the best boy. Though I guess it also works the other way in that he's kind of a sex pest, but he's not Sylvain, though Three Hopes tamps down on both of those.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

Are support conversations between characters just not present at all in the demo? I got Marianne and Hilda's support level up to C, but it has a lock for each other on the support info screen and when I choose them it just says "This bond cannot be leveled up at this time."

I’ve seen a couple; they’re definitely there. “This bond cannot be leveled up at this time,” was also in Three Houses; it means that the conversation references a plot event that has yet to happen. The timeskip in Three Houses was the big one, but there were also a bunch of events that’d affect individual supports.

Presumably something big will happen in the first few chapters to shake up the status quo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven’t finished Deer route but I kinda expected it to be similar with Claude.

Deer route is actually basically the church route, with Claude asking questions instead of Seteth volunteering information, and like one single nod to Claude secretly being the crown prince of Almyra. The big difference is that you learn a different horrible secret about Rhea depending on route. On the Church route you learn that she's been experimenting on the cardinals of Garreg Mach doing crest shard poo poo, when they all turn into beasts and attack you, while on the Deer route, you learn that the ten heroes were actually Nemesis' cadre of bandits, and the reason she rewrote history to make them champions is because the dragon people were cruel tyrants and humanity saw the genocide of Rhea's people as a good thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I found a lance with it. Also a bow that inverted str/def and mag/res.

There's a lot of wacky weapon effects in the demo alone. Presumably we'll get some way to mess with them further when we get to the blacksmith in the full version.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know this isn't what you wanted, but Edelgard also makes a solid mage, because her fire ability gives a huge range buff to the mage's YYX strong attack.

For non-make stuff, I made Hubert a cavalier and gave him the Scythe of Sariel and big sweeping attacks are really good for triggering his unique ability. If you let his spikes get big enough, they'll air juggle the targets, which lets you absolutely shred their guard with the cavalier class attact.

I also made Manuela a pegasus rider and she's ok, zipping across the map with her lightning field and shock buzzing all the enemies is fun, but I dunno if it's particularly useful. E: Well, apparently it is! I'll have to give her another spin, maybe reroll her stats because she got garbage offenses on my file right now.

Someone posted a video of thief monica and apparently she gets a bonkers combat art that synergizes really well with her shockwaves.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah there's not as many support conversations as in Three Houses but got dang did they go for quality. Ferdinand's supports with Edelgard and Hubert are a whole journey on their own.

I also like how they pepper in little tidbits to respond to questions raised by Houses, like (Shamir/Hapi C) the statue in the Abyss being the Dagdan god of fate, (Edelgard/Monica A) Edelgard knowing that Kronya was a fake Monica and pretending otherwise because she knows how precarious her position is and (Edelgard/Hubert A) Edelgard canonically being completely infatuated with Byleth because they share a Crest of Flames.

Also just unlocked Marianne/Bernie's C support and my gosh :3:

I'm also not very good at swapping units and had to force myself to not just control Shez 90% of the time. Which I eventually managed, but now I'm using Jeritza nearly as exclusively instead. Tell me it's not just me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not just every route, but every chapter, even though you've got a map showing that the camp indeed moves around.

Fódlan is just absolutely riddled with old forts built from the same exact blueprint, obviously.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Clawtopsy posted:

Edelgard gets abducted by Thales mid-fight with Dimitri. She basically gets a magical lobotomy, and becomes mostly silent and nearly childlike in the ending. She spends half the route as a voiceless puppet to Duke Aegir and Arundel. The last time we see her she is on her knees, slack jawed and blank-eyed, staring into the distance. She cries out things like "Uncle, noooo..." if Thales is hurt in her fight. It's really quite dire.

uhhh what the gently caress, who wrote that and why did they not get immediately fired for having a raging hard on as they pitched it? Did they think the Blue Lions route in Three Houses wasn't sufficiently objectively the worst option?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Beat chapter 14 in Scarlet Blaze, and I'm not sure how I felt about that plot event, but it absolutely owns bones that when Claude betrays you, your tactics are replaced with a Hubert button to reveal your triple agents and just erase his ambushes outright. Whoops!

Punchman classes are probably good, but who would I even make a war master? Ferdie and Jeritza are my horse wizard duo, and it feels wrong to put the Bert in a class that can't kill entire batallions with a menacing snap of his fingers. Literally everyone else I use is unable to ever get a gauntlet class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean yes, I have characters I could give gauntlets, but I'm stretched thin enough as is! I've already had to sideline several characters I like; getting Ferdie to a "don't die instantly" level after letting him chill on the bench for a couple chapters basically blew all the cash I had.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can trade in gear and supplies for smithing stones. You could farm for them, I guess, by just replaying maps and killing commanders, and trading in their drops, but you can easily get all the facilities by just playing along and doing a trade-in once in a while.

I waited until I had the final tier of supply depot upgrades to go back and get all the older upgrades; I forget when that becomes available but I think it's around where you're at? I definitely recommend advancing the plot until you can do that before worrying about backfilling. Don't forget that you can trade in other smithing materials as well; I certainly haven't found a use for venomstones other than trading them in for a couple hundred smithing stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

It's him saying to himself he never wanted to fight Edelgard which feels like whitewashing to me. When the guy before clearly does not like the Hresvelgs, why would he care about finally being able to get rid of them?

You're reading it backwards. (Scarlet Blaze chapter 13 I think?) He's the dude who spearheaded the insurrection, crippling Edelgard's father and sending all his kids to the Slitherer torture dungeon from which only Edelgard emerged. He's telling himself he totally wouldn't usurp her if she just gave him a chance, when this is demonstrably untrue. Dude views himself as the victim because he thinks facing consequences for his own actions is persecution.

You're being far to charitable if you're reading that at face value and thinking it's sympathetic. Dude's a craven piece of poo poo who won't even own that he's a villain; he's beneath Thales and Rhea who will at least freely rant about humans being stupid worthless animals when cornered.