Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ElegantFugue posted:

So I definitely haven't tried everything yet in the demo but I did just upgrade the Brigid gal to Thief and holy heck that is a fun moveset for her.

I have heard there's been some datamining and it's been determined that (length-wise) each route will have about 15 chapters, with some number of extra missions not associated with any chapter that may or may not be extra content or may just be leftover data? The first few chapters seem kinda short on actual gameplay vs story but it looks like there's more missions available in chapters once you get past the timeskip?

Also I like the special move/weapon durability system, since it auto-recovers after each mission and can be recovered mid-mission through drops. Helps mix things up nicely.

Yeah thief Petra is ridiculous, just absolutely juggles the hell out of whole rooms.

In regards to the datamine, the caveat the group I saw doing it put out was that a) the devs actually did way better job than most in scrubbing a lot of main game data and references out of the demo, and b) Koei-Techmo games are notoriously difficult to datamine, so all we have now are extremely basic stuff like the names of chapters and achievements. Maybe there's more that will get teased out but honestly at this point we're all just waiting for the full game to drop, only two weeks out.

e. lol as I say it looks like some more info dropped this morning. Spoilers on additional potentially playable units: Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeralt, and... the Gatekeeper (lol) all have likes and dislikes implying they have a roster page. Meal/Tea Party dialogue has specifically been found for Seteth and Jeralt so it's almost a lock they're eventually recruitable.

Here's the running google doc the data miners are using if you want to follow the progress: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1da5Ds2ppXrnPVTreR2t2820KLTdma1FyxPJBcrizPno

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 10, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

So as far as recruitable characters from 3 Houses the only ones who we don’t know anything about playability-wise are Manuela, Hanneman, Alois and Cyril? The first three appear in the prologue I have to imagine they’ll pop back up at some point. I also bet Cyril shows up in the Deer story at some point give he’s one of the only Almyran characters in 3H and has a connection to House Goneril.

Manuela is playable in the demo on Crimson Blaze, she joins up after the timeskip. She even has supports with Jeritza which is great. Hanneman is also in camp as an NPC on the same route but isn't in your roster. Nothing out of the datamine so far seems to point to Alois or Cyril as playable but there are at least three confirmed playable characters who haven't been identified yet so we don't quite know everybody yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

And it's interesting the different perceptions on Edelgard because my take from the demo is that this is the cold, ruthless, and calculating Edelgard we never got to see because Byleth made her friends with the other Eagles and she was head over heels for Byleth. I actually really liked how different she felt from the Edelgard of Crimson Flower, but is still the same character.

I really liked the detail that this time around rather than just coming right out with "death to the church!" and turning the whole world against here, Edelgard set up a new Southern Church with a bishop she had under her thumb and then justified the war as overthrowing the corrupt Central Church, effectively creating a religious schism. It's a way smarter way to go about her plan than immediately throwing down the gauntlet that the thousand year old religion is a lie.

Also Crimson Blaze cements that Edelgard was only ever working with the slithers because they had her cornered and here the second they slip up and give her a chance to turn the tables she takes it, even if it means throwing out all the careful planning she and Hubert had put together.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only thing I haven't figured out is how the hell you're supposed to build up Shez's transformation meter. I've run whole missions where I just play Shez and functionally solo the map and still end up only half-way to getting a transformation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KittyEmpress posted:

Look for blue pots on the map. They give about 75% of rhe bar per pot, and every map has at least 1. Some have 2 and one of them even had 4.

Overall it builds super slow though yeah.

Ah there you go, cheers. I'll keep a lookout next time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Extremely funny that the BE's already have three preferred mages in Dorothea, Lindhart, and Hubert, and instead of making Monica's preferred class something that actually fills a niche within the BE's like flyer where they're sorely lacking, it's just "lol here's your fourth caster, with a unique tome to boot so you feel even worse about reclassing her!" :downs:

Dorothea at least will probably fit nicely into dancer once you unlock it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

This is a loving travesty and needs to be resolved asap. Hubert and Bernie have the best support chain and are super cute together! They're legit one of my favorite ships how could they do that?

Hubert has an A support with Monica of all people, lmao.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Deltasquid posted:

I wonder if there’s supports that are just missing from the demo. Manuela for example just has a bunch of C-rank supports and many don’t even have conversations. Either she’s getting shafted or the full version might have more supports (I can hardly imagine Manuela gets a bunch of C-A rank supports with unrevealed characters so far)

It's very possible, the new stuff out of the data mining today seems to indicate that there is a recruitment mechanic, and there are characters that can be recruited over from one house to another later in the game, including some but not all of the students. Example Shamir can be recruited by everybody so presumably has more supports not shown, Lysithia can only be recruited by the BE's and will almost certainly support Edelgard, Jeritza can apparently be recruited by the BL's so he probably has supports with Mercedes that aren't currently shown, etc.

Also in more data mining news there are a good chunk of characters who appear to be potentially deconfirmed as playable:
Rhea
Kronya
Cornelia
Kostas
Randolph
Judith
Nader
Arundel
Greetje (I think this is Claude's brother from the invasion chapter?)
Ladislava

A bunch are obvious but some of them are real bummers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

The criteria used to determine "not playable" seems to indicate Rhea is playable, unless I'm misreading something though, since she has separate head and body sprites, as does Jeralt. Catherine and Cyril also seem to be missing entirely from the spritesheet as well despite Catherine having some spacing indicating her presence elsewhere.

Rhea is listed under the media tab as having a merged sprite, and I don't see a face sprite for Rhea under the model tab, just MC036_RheaA_0_P_Body. Catherine also has a face model under the same tab - MC032_CatherineA_0_P_Face - and appears to be confirmed playable in BL only.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Terper posted:

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Cancer loving sucks, man.

Wow he only got diagnosed a month and a half ago, what the gently caress.

Only 35 too, jesus. :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cattail Prophet posted:

Technically he only went public with the diagnosis a month and a half ago. It's possible he'd been living with it for a while already, maybe even likely if the reason for going public was because he knew there wasn't much time left.

Yeah, true enough. Stage 4 colon is really bad, the usual prognosis is around 14% survival rate five years from diagnosis. It's not quite the doctor looking at you and saying "you're dead" but it's about as close as you can get otherwise. :smith:

Cattail Prophet posted:

gently caress cancer.

:hai:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

Ah, that's it, I was looking at the map sprites, not the art sprites. (And when I was looking in the data days ago I didn't spot anything from Catherine/Cyril and so on). Rhea does have a separate head and body model sprite in the map sprites like the confirmed PCs do.

Following up on this: data miners are pretty sure now that Rhea actually is playable, or at least was intended to be playable at some point. Rather than merged head/face sprites they're now assuming playability based off the existence of a tactical skill - which Rhea has - which would only need to exist if the player could give that unit orders on the map.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also at least in the demo a ton of how the game is structured feels like a direct response to some of the most common criticisms of 3H.

-Byleth was a boring weird mute? Okay here's a new protagonist with dialogue and an actual personality, hell even Byleth talks now because why not?
-White Clouds is a boring slog that takes way too long? Alright nerd it's over in two chapters now.
-Almost all the Part 2's felt rushed with you just teleporting from one important location to another with no obstacles along the way? Congrats Part 2's the whole game now and you're on campaign with minor battles between you and the major objectives.
-It was dumb that your army packed up and went all the way back to the Monastery each month between big battles? Monastery is gone then, and you've got a forward operating base instead.
-Crimson Flower was obviously incomplete and unpolished? Well now it's (at least so far) the most polished, with way more vignettes into the context of what is actually happening.
-Monica had a cool design and 3H did nothing with her? Come on down the newest BE.
-There are tons of seemingly important side characters like Holst and the Empire nobles who are talked about constantly but you never actually get so much as a glimpse of? They're all here on-screen now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait to A support Edelgard and Byleth, and then A support Hubert and Monica so they can go for drinks and commiserate over the fact that they're stuck simping for life.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sudden Javelin posted:

what's the worst romantic support and why is it dorothea/hanneman

Seteth/Bernie comes completely out of left field in the ending slide and is both creepy and kinda out of place given that Seteth has a bunch of supports with other female students that are otherwise pretty platonic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Deer actually getting something to do that isn't a rehashed Church route is the most exciting thing about 3 Hopes.

It's definitely interesting that in Crimson Blaze you just start on the far side of the river in Alliance territory setting up your attack into the Monastery, meanwhile in Golden Wildfire you start defending the bridge and are gearing up to parry the Empire's initial thrust into Alliance territory. It's also mentioned in Azure Gleam that the Monastery fell and the Kingdom is going to take in and protect the surviving church members, so the demo seems to set up AG and CB as opposites of eachother, while GW might completely upend the start of the war by denying Edelgard an easy path to quickly toppling the church.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Byleth is not capable of engaging any of their students romantically during White Clouds when a student/teacher power dynamic is in play. A supports and proposals only come after it's been 5+ years since Byleth was teaching them and I believe every character who can be romanced is of age by that time. :shrug:

If anything the power dynamic between Edelgard and Byleth is firmly in the former having all the power, since Edelgard is emperor and Byleth on CF is just a mute weirdo who's firmly alienated every other faction and wouldn't really have anywhere to turn but the Empire even if they wanted to leave.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I figured I'd download the demo and give it a shot. This is my first ever musou game, so I'm playing on Normal/Casual, and I've gotten to the end of the pre-timeskip section. The game is throwing an overwhelming amount of information at me. Materials, weapons, status effects, abilities, classes, oh my god there's so much. Except none of it really seems to matter. I mash Y and X a lot and a bunch of enemies die. Sometimes I press A when the meter fills up and a bunch of enemies really die. The game tells me that one of my bases is being attacked, so I send over the person with the most up arrows against the attacker. I find a boss and mash Y and X some more. Then I win. Triple S rank. Sure, I guess?

I get that I'm still basically in tutorial land, so I'm not exactly expecting a challenge, but having never played a musou before, I guess I'm just curious about how these games generally progress. Does the combat gain more depth or am I just going to be mashing all game? Are all these weapons and materials and classes and skill cross-training and etc etc etc things that I'm going to have to pay attention to? Is there more strategy to sending people around the map beyond "send the guy with the most up arrows"? I'm not trying to poo poo on the game, I'm just trying to get a sense of how a musou plays beyond the tutorial. It's hard to know whether this is worth buying from the bit that's available.

Honestly my pro-tip is to skip through 99% of the tutorial popups and just button mash to victory if all the nuance is stressing you out. Musou games do have a lot of mechanical complexity to them and if you want to you absolutely can set up extremely broken combinations of unit/class/weapon that just mop the floor with entire rooms... or you can just roll out your favorite characters and hit Y -> Y -> Y -> X over and over until you win. Particularly on normal and below there's really no reason to engage with the deeper aspects of the combat system unless you really want to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

it seems to run decently well too.

I was really worried after the 10-15 FPS nightmare that was trying to play Age of Calamity, but yeah Koei Techmo have obviously made some huge strides in squeezing out every drop they can from the Switch hardware. Note quite as buttery smooth as I'd like but the FPS dips are rarely bad even in the thick of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

If Dorothea is anything like she is in the main game she gets a lot more interesting and cool after the timeskip.

Dorothea definitely has the most of what made up her character beats blown away by Three Hopes. Her whole reason for being in the officer's academy is to try and find a noble partner but here she only gets like a month before the academy closes. Then in part 2 her thing in 3H was being the grounded one who's like "holy gently caress we're fighting our cherished childhood friends this is horrible" but as Shez can point out to her this go around, they were all at best passing acquaintances not worth fretting over much more than the average mook.

The demo writing has all been really good though so I trust the game to figure out how to tune her for the AU.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Defiance Industries posted:

Also you find Monica and she just explains a bunch of plot points from the first game to you before they happen.

Coming from Three Houses it was pretty great for a character to show up in like Chapter 2 and go "yeah I got kidnapped by the slithers. Oh you don't know who they are? Let me explain then." Even better on CB with the next chapter being you going and immediately dunking on them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pureauthor posted:

Shez has ???? as their birth date, has no idea who their birth parents are, and their hometown is in the mountains of the Leicester Alliance (aka close to Shambhala)

If Shez isn't an Agarthan supersoldier project that will be a massive red herring at this point.

When you kick Thales out of the Empire in CB there's some battle/map dialogue where he says "wait, are you...?" to Shez but then brushes it off, which is the closest we get to any of the slithers seeming to recognize Shez. My guess is that Arval is definitely something they made (an attempt at a fake Sothis?) but that their being implanted in Shez is not their doing. Also Shez doesn't have like amnesia or anything and in supports will talk about their past and how they were raised by their mom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm waffling between playing BL or BE first. GD is definitely going to be the second route I play no matter what since I expect it to be the most divergent and a good breather between the other two routes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

its hosed up that the game is preloaded on my switch but i cant play it yet. this is taunting me. im being taunted. nintendo should be nice to me and unlock it early.

It's actual violence and I'm not happy about it :mad:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Via some googling I found a site that says it's a midnight release but I can't find anything confirming it that's midnight on the 24th Japan time, or EST, or if it's based your local time zone and so some will get it earlier than others, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FYI for digital purchase folks, I'm now seeing multiple sites saying the game will most likely unlock tonight at 12AM EST/9PM PST for people in the US. Tried to find stuff for UK/Europe but nobody's listing anything specific that I could find.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

wait it's unlocking now? boooo, im still at work for another hour. this sucks!!! i wanna play already, dammit

I just tried a minute ago and it still says I can't play it yet, US west coast.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Game is still not unlocking :mad:

Goddammit Nintendo I gotta work tomorrow, I was looking forward to getting a couple hours in tonight before bed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Restart the console. Worked for me.

Restarting did not work, but fully shutting down for a bit and then turning it back on seemed to do the trick.

Alright, Shez time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

i probably could've prevented this but it didnt feel right to do a "Recruit Everyone" run on my first playthrough, so

RIP Lindhardt. Sorry for killing your boyfriend, Caspar

:same: on BL, loving RIP Petra and Dorothea I did not expect opposing faction deaths to come so soon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah my Shez is out-strengthing Dimitri, which not even Byleth could accomplish in any of my BL runs. Shez is loving nuts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of Sylvain, I'm kinda torn on his characterization. On the one hand the fact that he's got his poo poo together now because he's trying to support Dimitri and Felix is interesting, but on the other hand he's now just... kinda there? Like even when it's revealed that Miklan is alive and has been press-ganged into serving Dimitri he doesn't really have a whole lot to say about it which feels weird. IDK it's early yet maybe his new character will go places, but so far it just feels like in the process of stripping out almost all his negative character traits he barely has anything left going on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
By the way if you're not already doing so, make sure to go out of your way to get to the extra missions if you can (little crossed swords icon in the war map, there's a timer on as well) as they give loads of gold relative to normal missions and also a nice stack of rusted weapons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
BL route has been really interesting so far, I thought it was just going to focus entirely on the war with the Empire but instead it's been a lot more about the internal politics of the Kingdom and Cornelia being a piece of poo poo. Also the interactions between the Lions now that they're (almost) all in power and Dimitri isn't an insane man are really good, Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, and Dedue in particular make for some really good dialogue. Also while it's cheesy and predictable I really like this new plot beat where a huge force of Duscar troops shows up to support the war effort and when Dimitri is flustered about it they go "the only ones here are those who volunteered." The kingdom is collossally in the poo poo but there are some places where Dimitri's managed to start healing old wounds. :unsmith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

I like Dimitri but in the sense that he's an interesting character, not in the sense that I think he's likable necessarily

Yeah it's this, he's an interesting character for the narrative but even here where his insanity is almost entirely subdued I still don't think he'd make a particularly good king long term and is far from the best thing for Fodhlan post-peace.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I liked insane suicidal madman timeskip Dimitri from the original but mostly normal good boy Dimitri in this game is kinda boring.

I'm holding out hope that the game will use Dimitri being less off the rails to actually explore his relationship with Edelgard a bit more. Since here he's not totally convinced she's behind Duscar and more just kinda suspects she might know something, they might actually be able to have something approaching a normal chat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well lol Azure Gleam spoilers I guess from Chapter 9 Just as I say it would be cool for Dimitri and Edelgard to have a chat, Thales shows up and turns Edelgard into a crest zombie. I am... very skeptical to put it mildly of the decision to sideline Edelgard as the primary threat but maybe they'll do something with it. If this poo poo just turns into "Dimitri rescues helpless Edelgard from the slithers and then they bury the hatchet" I'm gonna be extremely salty to put it mildly though. Also where the gently caress is Hubert?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

I gotta say, I would not in a million years have guessed that Shez and Sylvain’s support would end up touching on Sylvain attempting to invent firearms and the pluses/minuses of a centralized military force

:hmmyes: it's good.

Master class updates: Gremory is loving ridiculous, lmao.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao holy poo poo Holy Knight Sylvain is INSANE. "What if we took a character who's unique ability is ridiculously scaling range and made his best preferred class mounted and with even more range?"

Also FYI to anybody complaining about leveling or the RNG nature of levelups: it literally does not matter as long as you stick to weapon type advantages. I just took level 16 Rodrigue into a paralogue with level 38 enemies and he was just as effective as anybody else so long as he had a good battalion and was fighting with weapon triangle advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

i would like to nominate this for game of the year

Felix and Raphael have an A support that is entirely based around their love of meat.