Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Call me cynical but the endings to me screamed “Buy the DLC for the rest of the ending!” “Discount if you buy all three endings together!” Hell even if you do the Arval side quest you still don’t learn what the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tae posted:

Three Hopes is the ironic name because every ending is a grim reminder that these kids are so hosed without Byleth the psychiatrist.

Is it really any different? Both games end the same way, with your house alive and the other two houses dead. No one is really worse off at the end of their new route compared to their old route.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You could just have the Slither route be a prequel showing them setting up their dastardly schemes for TH/3H and hopefully actually explain what their deal is since we still don’t know anything about them. Oh who am I kidding, they’ve had a DLC and a Warriors spinoff to do that and they still haven’t, in fact they’ve literally added more questions!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The biggest problem with Arval is we don’t get any resolution to it. Hell Arval isn’t even the one who betrays you. Epicenter makes it clear they’re different people, he just shows up, says “lol time to die Arval sucks to be you.” And then dies himself while refusing to explain anything that’s going on to Shez. Shez doesn’t even get to say goodbye to their brain buddy or have a melodramatic “But what about our friendship? You broke my heart Fredo!” moment.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Well for all the story itself was about moral grays and no one being perfect, the ending slides always say “And then Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude made the utopia that achieved all the goals each Lord said only their particular ideology could accomplish.”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think my favorite addition in Three Hopes is Caspar's dad. Yeah, he's a little balding dude who is extremely earnest and an absolute shitwrecker, we all expected that, but he's also some kind of amateur motivational speaker who loves flowery speeches and on-the-nose metaphors, and it somehow works because you know he's completely sincere and can back it up with his fists. I did not see that coming, but it rules.

He’s exactly what I expected personality wise but not at all what I expected visually. I was picturing a Caesar/Bismarck esque design not the gladiator/barbarian vibe they went with.
Linhardt dad, Sylvain’s dad, Lorenz’s dad, and Holst are all visually and personality identical to how I pictured them.
The only guy they missed the mark with was Bernie’s dad, who is played way too much as bumbling comic relief both personality and appearance for how much of a scumbag the original portrayed him.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But the default class outfits were terrible, even on generic npcs. Even putting aside how nonsensical they were. There’s a reason that of the three characters who are default warriors, not one of them wears anything like the actual class outfit. Thank god for the “let everyone keep their outfits” patch.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s weird that it’s a huge recurring topic in supports and other dialogue that Dimitris crest makes him the Incredible Hulk. Crushing skulls through helmets, Lifting carriages one handed, biologically incapable of sewing, shatters weapons just by using them etc. And it sells the idea that Crests are game changers in war. But we never get anything like that from any other crest bearer. Linhardt is like “I guess I’m a little better at magic” but no one is superhuman like Dimitri.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The weird thing is that the Western Church in the original was being tricked by the slithers but wasn’t run by them. Houses makes clear that while the western church thought they were stealing Seiros’ bones, Thales was knew it was the Sword and is clearly using the church as a patsy. Seteth and Flayns paralogue likewise has them as ignorant dupes who are sincere believers and think Seteths wife’s grave is it’s official stated purpose as a saint shrine. Ashe even uncovers the Bishops big secret stash of incriminating documents and never finds anything about mole people.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think people take some of Dimitris lines out of context a lot, like the popular one currently is the one about “not needing new freedoms” which if you just see the screenshot that people always post looks bad, but he’s actually talking about how his country is in the middle of like eight civil wars and telling his retainers he wants them all out of a job will start eight more. Think Shez’s convo with Edelgard where they tell her “Yeah you say that in ten years everything will be wonderful but my children are dying because of your war today”.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s the context that makes it better then

Even if you agree that the end result is worth it (And I do support Edelgard actually) civil wars tend to result in a lot of dead commoners, pillaged land/towns, and often result in the “winners” being so depleted they’re in no position to implement whatever high minded ideals they went in with at the start. And good luck implementing reform when a civil war has left you so depleted you can’t resist any kind of foreign invasion, which to Fargeus is a very real and constant threat in a way it isn’t for the Empire.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KittyEmpress posted:

The line where Dimitri says 'Sweeping change isn't what Faerghus needs right now' is followed by him saying 'What we need before we can inflict change is stability. We cannot create a more just society when people still struggle to eat'. Unlike Edelgard and Claude who... mostly don't have that much trouble during the timeskip, Dimitri has been fighting civil war after civil war that only kicks into a more violent war as the empire demands they kowtow or die.

A lot of people say it's obvious that if people are starving and struggling that he should bow to Edelgard since the empire has the richest most abundant food sources on Fodlan. But how often does a conquering empire spend time and resources helping who they conquered?

Yeah the big thing here is trust, and in Hopes with its cancellation of school there is zero of it between the lords. None of them know each other or how they think, and none of them have any reason to take anything the others say at face value. We the player know Edelgard is sincere because we’ve spent two games getting to know her and having support convos with her. To Dimitri she’s just the umpteenth invading foreign monarch in as many years, and every previous one probably said something about how they were the good guy too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lol I didn’t know they made it canon. That’s perfect. “Hey do you ever wonder why they only seem to ever elect green haired women as pope?” “No why do you ask?”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Personally I didn’t like that there are characters who were obviously written as gay but got made bi so as not to offend the shipping legions. Like 85% of Catherine’s entire personality is about how lesbian she is. And her supports with dudes aren’t romantic in the slightest, but god forbid someone isn’t allowed to have their Manleth marry her.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In hindsight “Thunderstrike Cassandra” choosing “Thunderbolt Catherine” as her witness protection identity might have been a bad idea.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Are there any people working for the church that aren’t living or have lived under assumed identities? Rhea, Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeritza, Gilbert, Tomas, Jeralt faked some deaths and went off the grid. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if the Gatekeeper was Sothis’ long lost brother.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Appearing younger and living longer are two different things though. Even in real life we have people who look 20 years younger than they are do to good genetics. But that doesn’t mean they live to 200. Are we sure Dimitri doesn’t just mean crest bearers stay in the prime of their lives a greater proportion of their lives?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dimitri should honestly just sell Edelgard western Fargeus for a huge sack of cash. They rebel and join the Empire on a biweekly basis anyhow, and are behind every block to reform and sinister conspiracy in the country. They’re more trouble than they’re worth. Make them Edelgards problem.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Seteth seems the real kink in things. He’s just such a swell guy that I just can’t see him as some tyrannical despot, plus there’s the implication his wife might have been a human. He was in self imposed exile during Rhea’s reign so conveniently escapes culpability there, but that still leave’s him to be around during both Sothis’ war with the Agarthans and whatever “dragons ruling Fodlan” was going on between Sothis taking a nap and Nemesis’s revolution. Indech seems nice too, and Macuil seems outright antagonistic to Sothis. The Dragons are like the mole men in that we know so little about them it makes it hard to judge them morally. How many Dragons even were there? Do the crests account for the whole lot? If there were a whole civilization of them that got slaughtered you’d think there would be a lot more relic weapons and more than just 10 elites.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Edelgard always meant to destroy both the church and slithers, and she always knew she needed the help of one to defeat the other since she in truth only controls maybe half of the Empire’s armies and resources. And destroying one would give her the additional power she needed to destroy the other without help. So really her plan never really changed at all. In both games she sicks them on each other and then stabs the survivor in the back (in a good way). If anything Hopes version is the better move from cold calculus since it gave her full control of the empire’s resources much earlier and exposed the slithers to literally everyone.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Honestly don’t see why they didn’t just put Constance in the eagles, Balthus in the Deer, and Hapi in the Lions by default after the timeskip. Just say they showed up at some point in the last two years and let them be part of their respective houses peanut gallery. It’s not like even houses pretended they weren’t a “Each House gets a new student” dlc. Yuri’s trickier since he was kinda the church guy but there’s no church route this time around, and his supports weren’t all about one house like the others.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Shinji117 posted:

With how tied the Lions are to the Church in 3 Hopes, Yuri feels firmly the Azure Gleam Wolf in 3 Hopes (Dimitri, Sylvain and Seteth are all AG-exclusive Supports and Ashe is AG-primary), while Hapi becomes less Lion focused with her unique Edelgard paralogue and her Hubert supports.

Balthus is Deer, to the point of being more there than several actual Deer.
Yuri is Lion just from his Support list
Both Hapi and Constance aren't as set in stone, but feel more Eagle than anything (though admittedly to me most characters, even unrecruitable ones, feel like they should be Eagles)

Yeah but that’s because they weren’t just put in their “original” house. I’m thinking more how they were in houses, where they’re backstories were all pretty explicitly tied to one house and all their supports were in that house. They didn’t have to put them all in the game as wandering mercenary recruit-only characters who by definition can’t be integral to the group dynamic. They made room for Monica and Holst, why not the Wolves?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Sudden Javelin posted:

they all had supports with multiple houses though, except Balthus who was deer only

A maximum of one (much like everyone had one or two cross house supports). And they even focus on exclusive characters. Constance is three Eagles including Edelgard and Jeritza and her only other being Jeritzas sister, while her entire backstory and motivation is about being an imperial noble. Hapi gets Ashe and exclusive Dimitri, and her entire life story consists of Dimitris life story followed by hanging underground for five years. And you already mentioned Balthus.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t help but wonder if the entire Arval plotline getting awkwardly swept under the rug is a repeat of how Fates removed important pieces of the plot in order to sell Revelations. The endings already scream “buy the DLC” so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thinking to use “find out what’s up with the shadow realm” as a selling point. I guess they need to shoehorn Nemesis in there somewhere too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think it might be an issue of lost in translation. You read history in the western context and “bandit” basically means small bands of highwaymen who rob travelers. You read East Asian history and “bandit” can refer to huge armies led by warlords when central authority breaks down who do things like raze cities. So while Fodlan may be medieval Europe it’s written by a group of Japanese guys who release a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game every year.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How many bandits are actually free-roaming warlord bands, outside of the faceless hordes in Three Hopes? They tend to be secretly bankrolled by a local villain. Kostas was explicitly working for the Flame Emperor, and I think that goes for most bandits across the series other than the Pretty Face gang and maybe the tutorial enemy.

It’s a little difficult to tell since before Houses the series was never really consistent on whether units as shown on the map were just the character or the character and the squad/company/battalion they lead. Like when you’re fighting five bandits in an early chapter is that literally five guys or does each symbolize a group.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eimi posted:

That was after a year or however long the game was of constant assassination attempts reducing him to that. Hubert clearly enjoys ironic punishments too.

But he’s like that in the other routes where you meet him right at the beginning too. He’s just so inept and sniveling and meek I couldn’t see him abusing a pet hamster much less his daughter against his wife’s wishes. He’s the only member of the dad/brother squad who didn’t match how he was described in houses.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still here demanding the evil villain summoning ring in FE Engage summons all three house leaders. The discourse will sustain me for a thousand years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Between the “insert more story here” endings and the very conspicuous absence of a God Shattering Star remix or really anything to do with Nemesis or an explanation for Epidermis at all, there was definitely a plan to make us pay for the privilege of getting a finished game. And now we won’t get even that.