Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want to grind because of my lizard brain

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i think the weirdest thing about this game is the fact that some support levels dont include support conversations, just the rank. I got Claude & Marianne to Rank C and the game was just like "oh, good job." but nothing else.

FEW was like this except you only got convos at A rank and nothing else, and even then not every pair had them. So this is technically an upgrade to that

Just think of it as RD's support system except with some actual conversations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

There's good reasons for all the golden deer to return

Claude, Lorenz, Hilda, and Lysithea are politically obligated in one way or another, and Marianne's dad is also motivated to send her. Ignatz works directly under Lorenz, and Raphael is best buds with Ignatz so of course he's going. Leonie is a merc.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

With the game coming out this week im surprised I havent heard anything spoiler related yet. Do we know how end game/post game will be?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Will Essence of Lightning work with Hilda's unique skill where her strong attacks gain lighting element effects?

Also, is there any advantage to Hard mode?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I ask because there was literally 0 reason to do Hard modes on Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Im having more fun on hard for now so i'll be happy with just a tiny reward for doing it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At what point are advanced classes easily accessible?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

His unique action is awesome, since it gives you more attack speed and adds the lightning element to his attacks. In addition, Holst is good on both sides of the physical/magical attack spectrum, as he learns all three lightning-elemental spells + Sagittae and Seraphim and can use enhanced versions of them if he uses his Unique Action or equips Essence of Lightning from Warlock + he learns every lightning-based combat art in the game, so you're not locked out of his elemental specialization (even if you decide to use him in other classes); and it also means that Holst is able to use the full potential of the Mortal Savant class compared to other units. It also helps that since Holst starts as a Swordmaster, he naturally starts at B Sword rank which makes his sword movesets a lot faster than your other sword-using units.

Speaking of; moveset progression in this game is tied to your character's weapon rank. I haven't completely maxed out the weapon rank, but I think it's basically like this:

E: Basic YYYY attack string. three Strong Attacks in addition to the class's Class Action for that weapon, for a total of four C#s.
D: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYY.
C: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of five C#s
C+: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYYY
B: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of six C#s
B+: Basic attack string maxed out at YYYYYYY
A: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of seven C#s

There's also a passive effect connected to increasing your weapon rank: Movesets using that weapon type have increased attack speed meaning that combos and attacks you used before that were liable to miss will now connect much better and give you better time to react (i.e. a character with B rank tomes will, in addition to having the expanded moveset, attack faster with all the Tome-using classes than a character with E rank does). It is also possible that it improves upon other things as well. The Monk > Priest > Bishop moveset for example is a lot better to use with B or B+ rank Tomes than when it was at E rank as the higher attack speed means that it is much easier to connect with stuff like C3 or C5, gripes I had with that moveset before.

This is very good to know. Is there a way to improve weapon rank outside of progressing to a more advanced class?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, every character can get at least one hidden ability from mastering specific classes. For Lysithea, mastering Mortal Savant gets her an ability that makes all of her damage use Mag regardless of weapon type, which is pretty rad.

You can WHAT

Do they show up on the skill lists when you check the classes or is it just a "fun" surprise?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game whitewashes Lorenz's dad so much lol idk how I feel about it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Claude was correct to have Randolf die and in fact should have murdered him himself

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The giant monsters in this game are basically damage sponges and class checks. Its annoying when one shows up at the end and its weaknesses dont match the characters you brought, because you had no idea

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is it just me or is Lorenz's unique passive absolutely busted? It charges so absurdly fast, autoblocks the majority of all attacks, and can just be used as a really good offensive cyclone to extend combos or create pressure. I feel like I should be hearing more people sing its praises. I'm trying to come up with even one good reason I shouldn't give Lorenz the merc whistle so Shez can use this busted rear end skill

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Counterpoint: I’m pretty sure Constance and Lorenz’s first support is the beginning of a romantic comedy that ends with them falling in love and getting married so we at least need that one to have a proper ending

They deserve each other, honestly

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does the item you recieve for using your Merc Whistle carry over to NG+?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tricky posted:

Yep, though the merc whistle itself does not if you forgot to use it.

So in theory i can play through the game like a dozen times and get items for all the good abilities

Not like im gonna do that or anything but it definitely affects what pick

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to use the merc whistle for its mechanical benefit

Shez's dash is the most powerful move bar none as is

I dont know if i agree. Its fun and cute and all to get around the map or close the distance after a combo. But some of these skills are just better. If i need to be at another place i can order one of my characters over there while I'm fighting on the other side with Shez.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Another thing about Lorenz's Rose thing is whether you have it on shez or lysithea or whoever you can run all the life-drain/low hp skills along with it and not have to worry about the downside whatsoever

And don't downplay the actual offensive ability of the tornados it makes, its as serviceable of a crowd control tool/juggle extender as anything else

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theres dancers in the game??????

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kanos posted:

This is assuming that Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude have to be your perspective character that you have perfect internal knowledge of, instead of the house as a whole. You could very easily have rotating perspectives, or have a less important member of the house be your initial representative. Fantasy stories have figured out many, many ways for one of the protagonist to have a hidden past or unclear motives that they're working towards that are revealed at a dramatic or pertinent juncture in the story without having to have an everyman blank slate outsider for the reader/viewer/player to project themselves onto and for other characters to exposit to - that's just the easiest and lowest effort way to write a story around.

To use other RPG examples, you play as Cloud for the entirety of FF7 but you don't start the game understanding his trauma about Zack and Nibelheim and why he has a feud with Sephiroth. In Wild ARMs you have a rotating cast of perspective protagonists who all have their own past traumas and goals that drive their actions and you discover them as the story advances - Jack, one of your three characters, doesn't get his true past and his motivations explained clearly until like the 2/3rds point of the game, despite him being your perspective character for a fair chunk of it.

Yeah i agree, the best FE game has the story take place from the perspective of someone who, as far as they are aware, is entirely an outsider to the primary plot, and even in the end they basically are (ike, im talking about ike)

So yeah, 3houses would be way better if the main character was Lorenz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Balthus belongs to the golden deer, holst needs his heterosexual life partner. thank you for coming to my ted talk