Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It would be extremely wierd for a Warriors game to only allow 1/3 of the cast to play together at a time, so I'm wondering if the NG+ will allow you to pick a different house but access your units from your previous playthrough's house.

This statement makes no sense to me because when you pick Wei in Dynasty Warriors you don't ever get to choose or play as Shu or Wu characters, it's all Wei. If anything it would be extremely weird for a Warriors game to allow the entire cast to be playable together.

I'm enjoying the demo so far, up to chapter 3 now. It feels a little too easy with how many combat options you have, granted these are the earliest battles in the game, but Shez just seems to mow down enemies without any difficulty whatsoever, Kronya was down in about 20 seconds and the demon beast I only got one armor break on because the Shez/Edel Musou attack did nearly 200k damage and just destroyed it. I am playing on the medium difficulty though and it seems likely this game may be a bit easier than other musou games since they're counting on at least some of the players to not have played a musou game before, Age of Calamity and P5 Strikers kind of did the same thing. I'll probably bump the difficulty up to the highest setting.

I thought I'd be okay with not having played Three Houses, since I played through Strikers without having played P5. It doesn't really work here though because Strikers references P5 a lot, to the point where I picked up on things pretty quickly. Plus with Sophia being a new character, things have to get explained to her a lot, and Morgana explains a lot of plot things like how Jails are different from Palaces, and "We should try doing this, because it worked the last time we were in the Metaverse." But since this is an alternate timeline, they can't really reference or explain things because they didn't happen. They definitely expect you to already be up to speed on the story in a way Strikers didn't, like I went Black Eagles and Edelgard and Hubert's conversation after rescuing Monica made no sense to me. Someone on discord was kind enough to explain why Monica being rescued changed things that Edelgard and Hubert had planned, since they now had information that they didn't find out until much later in Three Houses.

And before anyone says it, I do want to play Three Houses eventually! Just don't really have the money right now, or a Switch of my own (I'm using my brother's while he's at work for now). It'll probably be a while before I can get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay, I was misreading that statement as "other musou games let you do this, so it would be weird if this one didn't" rather than "3 Houses let you do this, so it would be weird if Three Hopes didn't just because it's a Warriors game."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dataminers schmataminers, obviously Rhea is going to be playable, even if only as an optional post-game unit with no plot impact; doing otherwise would be like releasing Hyrule Warriors with no Ganondorf

Looks like my first instinct was right to not trust Rhea and Seteth, if she's being compared to Ganondorf. Though this is also probably partially because of the Japanese trope of "church is always evil."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dogg don't read the spoilers! the tags are there for you!

I can't help it I have a compulsion to click black boxes! :negative:

At least it only confirmed something I already suspected rather than telling me something I had no idea of.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well I'm now in Scarlet Blaze. It's good to see Zhang Jiao still gets to take part in rebellions in Fodlan. I've got the camp now, but it seems like the armorer only sells the base level weapons (doesn't seem like it even has leather shields, unless I missed something), and the blacksmith is nowhere to be found either. Admittedly I've stopped for the night before doing the first battle in this chapter, so it's possible the blacksmith unlocks at some point after. I did get the C support conversation between Shez and Edel which was nice.

Two important questions. One, is there really no way to go back to older levels to try for a better score? That's a little annoying as a musou fan if there's no real Free Mode, I guess it makes sense in the context of the story and what they're doing, but the game scores you on how well you cleared the level and gives rewards for it. The last few battles I've ended up with an rear end score, since they're new levels and I was getting a feel for them so my completion time was a little high, and that gives me an A rank overall, meaning I've missed out on S rank rewards. And I figure they wouldn't put anything super rare or unique behind them, but even if it's just a Bullion or something, it's still a good item I would like to get, and if I can't that's a little frustrating.

Two, is there always a "right" answer when you're given a choice in conversations out of battle? By "right" I mean "will increase support bonds." I've gotten into a few conversations with characters that gave me a choice, and picked what I felt was the right one, but didn't get a bond increase. A good example is Ferdinand, I talked to him in the camp and he was like "Let's go out there and do our best" and I was given two choices which were basically "Be enthusiastic about it" or "Blow him off." I obviously chose to be enthusiastic, but I didn't get a bond increase. And it's hard to imagine that blowing him off would increase it, but that's why I'm asking. I don't know if I made a wrong choice, or if the choice didn't really matter.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I hope the game has costumes.

At the very least, it seems like all the characters have at least three outfits you can put them in: their pre time skip outfits, their post time skip outfits, and the outfit for generic soldiers of whatever class they are. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more later.

Mysticblade posted:

For Ferdie, I didn't get points with him when I blew him off accidentally. I think for some choices, none of the options will give you points.

Okay that's good to know. At least I don't have to stress that I'm making the wrong decisions, then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

After doing a few more battles I have to say everyone in Black Eagles is super cool and I like them all. Except, well, Dorothea I guess. She isn't bad! Just that to me, she's the most "Oh yeah, you exist" character in the roster. Maybe I will like her more after some support conversations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Got to the end of chapter four with Black Eagles, I'll probably go do the other two routes to see what they're up to and get to know their characters, and then maybe grind out some support conversations. This isn't my Switch, so I won't really be able to transfer my save data over to the full version anyway, so I'll have to start over whenever I get a Switch and buy the game.

Monica's C level is kind of funny though. "Why didn't you watch Edelgard eating? You idiot!"

On another note I kind of hope that it's easier to regain training/activity points in the full game, that's the one criticism I have at the moment, but it's hard to say if it's even a problem at all since the game is pretty clearly easing you into the systems and isn't necessarily representative of what later chapters will be like.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eimi posted:

Just having a non mission way to get support is super nice. Granted I think they got rid of skill sharing in general, but if they didn't you will be VERY thankful you don't need to do hundreds of missions with whoever has the astra equivalent to share to your entire army. :shepicide:

I thought someone earlier said there is skill sharing, unless you mean like passive battle skills and not active moves.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I decided to do the Blue Eagles route next. I liked almost all the Black Eagles people right away, they all seemed neat, but man Blue Lions just feels like it's full of the dullest nobodies. I guess Ashe is kind of cool, he hasn't really done anything but he seems like a good kid with his heart in the right place, and Annette is pretty good too. I do like Sylvain, but I'm playing male Shez, it's possible I'd have a much different opinion of him if I was playing female Shez.

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

Felix is the edgelord protagonist of a mid aughts action game until he gets out crazied by Dmitri

Yeah that's something that would probably make more sense to me if I played Three Houses. Dmitri's uncle keeps going on about how "You're not human, you shouldn't even be able to feel emotions" and I don't understand any of it. Someone on discord said it's a bit of a twist at the end of chapter 1 of the first game but fortunately didn't give any more information about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Three Hopes goes into it more in the full version though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm done with Blue Lions and now I'm with Golden Deer. I don't like them quite as much as Black Eagles, but they're definitely the second best faction in my view.

Raphael is pretty cool, but I absolutely hate his design. Personality is good though. Hilda is...maybe an airhead? It's hard to tell, I like her if only because she uses an axe, and axes are cool and good. Lorenz seems like the kind of guy I thought Ferdinand was going to be, but while Ferdinand turned out to be a total bro, this guy seems like he will not. I don't hate him, but if he keeps going on about how great he is because he's a noble, I'll probably get tired of him. Leonie is...fine, I guess. Probably the blandest of the lot, at least so far. Lysithea seems like she'll be pretty cool but she hasn't done a whole lot yet, I'm eager to see how good she'll be. Marianne...I don't hate, don't get me wrong, but she seems like "Bernie, except with a less interesting personality." She just has a personality I don't like interacting with. Ignatz seems like a weenie. I have a feeling he'll probably be better after the timeskip.

Also even though she's not officially Golden Deer, she doesn't show up in the other routes, anyway Shamir seems great.

Golden Deer seems like it has the most interesting characters though, outside of personality. I'm referring specifically to the fact Lysithea has two crests, which I haven't seen on any other character, and Marianne has a crest that is a mystery. So already I'm like whoa, what's going on there, that's kind of crazy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh so post timeskip they just reveal Marianne's crest is the Crest of the Beast. Kinda weird they hid it before but I guess it's a bigger plot point in Three Houses.

Are support conversations between characters just not present at all in the demo? I got Marianne and Hilda's support level up to C, but it has a lock for each other on the support info screen and when I choose them it just says "This bond cannot be leveled up at this time."

And Shez you idiot one of the first things Claude told you about Lysithea is not to call her a kid.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Since I'm playing casual I'm thinking just don't bother with recruits

I'm glad someone else here is playing casual. I know death is a thing in Fire Emblem games but it's not a thing in Musou games and losing characters in one of those seems really dumb. Especially since you're straight up not controlling 75% of your characters in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also it should be said revealing you have no army actually isn’t that big a deal. Many countries did that when desperate and while they had to eat poo poo for their personal pride it worked out for them in the long run

Or just be Zhuge Liang and stand by yourself in an empty garrison and win the battle because the enemy retreated, "No loving way is he actually alone, there's definitely an ambush unit waiting for us."