Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Carlosologist posted:

Girl Shez is hot

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jeritza being the third professor instead of Byleth really just solves a lot of issues.

It’s kind of funny, I’m trying scarlet blaze first and all I can think of so far (end of the prologue) is basically “this timeline is infinitely better for Edelgard now Byleth is out of the picture”

The only thing they’re missing out on , is a year of high school shenanigans. Shez’ comment to Dorothea is pretty funny though, she laments having to fight people she knows and Shez is 100% correct by reminding her the other classes are basically acquaintances they knew for 3 weeks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wonder if there’s supports that are just missing from the demo. Manuela for example just has a bunch of C-rank supports and many don’t even have conversations. Either she’s getting shafted or the full version might have more supports (I can hardly imagine Manuela gets a bunch of C-A rank supports with unrevealed characters so far)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

Edelgard somehow grew 4cm in this game. She's now 162cm instead of the 158 cm she was in Three Houses, even post timeskip.

https://twitter.com/oratoza/status/1535915068591747073

Claude was 175 cm in 3 houses (both pre and after timeskip) and is 177 cm in chapter 4 in three hopes.

Maybe a changed diet gave him a growth spurt in this timeline?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

A talking coyote posted:

Does every conversation choice not have a chance at support up or am I just really bad at reading the room?

I’ve definitely had like 6 support ups

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've seen some people consider that since Byleth still was part of their development when younger and the characters still hold you onto a pedestal (and call you Professor) that still gives vibes of grooming, specially people who work in teaching fields.

Which is dumb since that would require Byleth to have a personality and more emotions than a rock, but honestly? Find Byleth/student ships unconfortable is a perfectly valid opinion to have as long as you're not harassing others about it.

What about the Ashen wolves? They’re more akin to teacher’s assistant than students. Also, p sure they’re older than Byleth

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

That he has a new appearance at all always sucks (imo) just cause I prefer his original look. Like his original look to me is basically Elvis Presley if Elvis beat the poo poo out of people instead of eating at Arby's.

His three hopes look resembles a solid snake audition so I dig it

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also the Ashen Wolves, as much as they call themselves the fourth house, are composed of an expelled student (Yuri), a graduate (Balthus) and 2 girls who never enrolled (Constance and Hapi), and the house is a house in name only, so storywise they aren't Byleth's students.

..though now I realize, gameplay-wise, you are teaching every character you have (even professors like Manuela), so they're all your students, even post-timeskip since you still teach them. Therefore no character you can teach is unproblematic since they're all teacher-student romances.

And as we said the other options, Rhea (your grandma-mother-daughter) and Sothis (looks 10 and is also you) are not valid.

Ergo, the only valid S-Rank in the game is Alois since you marry a random villager who was never your student, is probably your age and is not related to you. QED.

Well, post timeskip they can also teach you, and the classroom is replaced by a war council of sorts

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Imho white clouds definitely could have used some more representation. Like maybe have us skip ahead in 2-3 month intervals with a little bit of running around the monastery to make it plausible that everybody got a one year education together, with a central hub where you can talk to everybody before moving on to the next prologue map. Give us a small prompt to dance with somebody at the white heron cup (maybe even win it lol) and the goddess tower scene.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blaziken386 posted:

it only just occurred to me that the Ashen Wolves are absolutely going to be Byleth's faction, solely because they have "Ashen" in the name. There's absolutely no chance they won't be.

Also a bit late but ashen wolves are just called Wolfklasse in the Japanese versions of the games and Byleth is nicknamed “gray demon” (Haiiro no Akuma) so the connection is way weaker in Japanese. So while it makes some degree of sense from a gameplay perspective to throw the spares in with Byleth, neither thematically nor in terms of plot does it really check out. Like why would they throw their lot in with some random mercenary, and how would Byleth know of their existence or have access to them without becoming a professor at garrech mach? I guess it’s not impossible, but it seems rather unlikely to me (and would commit the cardinal sin of locking the ashen wolves for a big part of the game, probably, when I want to recruit/play them asap!)

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 15, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

What's important is if I can rectify the mistake that Lysithea is apparently in the wrong house again? She's clearly a Black Eagle.

Some manner of recruitment system has to be in. I refuse to believe they’d take this game’s setup which is ripe for a golden ending and then make this timeline worse by forcing you to off everybody not from your house.

Clawtopsy posted:

We have terminal Homestuck brains

Yes, but

lunar detritus posted:

i'm unironically excited about the plot having those fanfiction time travel tropes.

Also, I know this probably won’t be true but I hope Shez isn’t related to TWSITD or the Nabateans in any way. Just a random merc who got lucky in this timeline

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zore posted:

I mean we absolutely know Shez isn't just a random merc lol. Random Mercs don't have gods in their head, or go super saiyan, or the special Dark magic only people associated with TWSITD have.

Oh I mean like, a random merc who got chosen/rescued by Arval after the first mission in the prologue. A “it could have been anybody” kind of deal, not a “I was literally crafted by the Gods to become their vessel” kind of deal

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pureauthor posted:

Shez has ???? as their birth date, has no idea who their birth parents are, and their hometown is in the mountains of the Leicester Alliance (aka close to Shambhala)

If Shez isn't an Agarthan supersoldier project that will be a massive red herring at this point.

One of these days Intsys is going to have to make a game where the protag is not royalty, a crafted supersoldier, a divine vessel or otherwise explicitly genetically superior and just a guy who got really loving good at his job :negative:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to do the Blue Eagles route next. I liked almost all the Black Eagles people right away, they all seemed neat, but man Blue Lions just feels like it's full of the dullest nobodies. I guess Ashe is kind of cool, he hasn't really done anything but he seems like a good kid with his heart in the right place, and Annette is pretty good too. I do like Sylvain, but I'm playing male Shez, it's possible I'd have a much different opinion of him if I was playing female Shez.

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Blue lions is the dating sim crew dropped right into a srpg.

Dimitri = strong, good man with a dark and troubled past. But a gentle female touch can fix him
Felix = Sasuke Uchiha. Don’t cut your hand on the edge. Jerk but he’s got a heart of gold
Sylvain = flirty fuckboy who ends up settling down
Dedue = Dedue
Ashe = Soft boii with a petty criminal past and knight-and-princess fantasy
Ingrid = straightest warrior woman in Fodlan
Mercedes = Ara ara big sis
Annette = you know what’s up with her, you like her

There’s a reason why the black eagles are favourites for queer people and blue lions are favourites for straight women

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Did any of the leaks touch upon how/when we can recruit the Ashen Wolves? Asking because my adoration for Constance is second only to Eimi’s love for Edelgard

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

McTimmy posted:

Probably. Not going too deep into real game leaks but the demo datamine had everyone's initial join class and level posted two days ago. Constance joins level 10 on SB; 41 on AG and 30 on GW. So probably right after the demo for SB and nearly endgame for AG and middle game for GW.

Wonderful, fingers crossed

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It’s out in my timezone (gmt+1) so assume midnight release in your own time zone

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

That might just be a Lion's thing, when I recruited Hapi and Constance on Eagles, they were very happy that they joined my side.

Ashe is absolutely miserable when you recruit them as the BE lol

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My main complaint so far is that the game is kinda inconsistent with who gets supports with whom. It’s nice they gave us new options/pairings since they show us some new sides of characters but why does e.g. Constance act like a total stranger to Ferdinand despite them being childhood friends / apparently betrothed at some point in their teens / obviously meant to be together in three houses?

Game otherwise owns though

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tender Bender posted:

How do classes/progression work in this? Do you basically choose a path for each character on your playthrough, or is it more open and you can grind everyone in all their classes eventually if you choose?

Also, kind of curious how the multiple paths thing works with what I remember from Hyrule Warriors which is basically "You have one big save file you play forever!"

For the first question, you can basically grind out every class on a single character. You can swap class at any time and unlock new classes by purchasing a seal of the appropriate level in the item shop. You work through “trees” of classes through several levels but can swap to anything previously unlocked and go down another path at will.

For the second, I’m not sure but imagine you have a single file you can use to do an NG+ in another route like in 3 houses

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gamerofthegame posted:

wasn't she the one character who did that in three houses for empire gang too or am I misremembering

so far my only real complaint of the game is that black eagles are 70% mages or people who suck (caspar sucks) and the mage movelist is... lame

hell the first characters you can recruit are mages, too.

The neat part is that it doesn’t matter. Embrace fortress knight Hapi and swordmaster Constance

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah there's not as many support conversations as in Three Houses but got dang did they go for quality. Ferdinand's supports with Edelgard and Hubert are a whole journey on their own.

I also like how they pepper in little tidbits to respond to questions raised by Houses, like (Shamir/Hapi C) the statue in the Abyss being the Dagdan god of fate, (Edelgard/Monica A) Edelgard knowing that Kronya was a fake Monica and pretending otherwise because she knows how precarious her position is and (Edelgard/Hubert A) Edelgard canonically being completely infatuated with Byleth because they share a Crest of Flames.

Also just unlocked Marianne/Bernie's C support and my gosh :3:

I'm also not very good at swapping units and had to force myself to not just control Shez 90% of the time. Which I eventually managed, but now I'm using Jeritza nearly as exclusively instead. Tell me it's not just me.

There's a few I tend to default to, usually the core team of which I take at least one character (Shez, Edelgard, Ferdinand, Bernadetta, Constance) and then the spares I let the AI do its thing or rotate them around in adjudant roles to optimise support building (which is probably an unnecessarily tedious affair, so I might have to drop that eventually)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know it's an obvious cost saving measure but it's *really* funny to me how every route has the same exact camp layout just with different color banners. Who's out here building this exact same camp all over the continent?

Maybe camp layout doctrine is a holdover from back when the Empire ruled all of Fodlan, Roman empire style? :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
To be fair, Shez' insistence early on in the prologue that they'd dedicate their life to killing Byleth doesn't make a ton of sense with that mindset. Shez kinda cartwheels around "Killing Byleth becomes my singular goal and everything I do is in pursuit of that goal" and "Mercenary work is purely professional, I got over the killing of my colleagues pretty quickly" and I'm not sure why they even bothered with the former if the story is going to drag Shez around for 2 years in the timeskip. they could have just left it at Shez going "well I'm out of work, better hang around the knights of Seiros / whatever lord pays me" as their motivation after like... chapter 1. (Spoilered just because my comment implies what others are posting in spoiler tags above. Cue Ferdinand's "why are we whispering?" scene.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Judge Tesla posted:

I remember when Bernie's father was the most hated man in the fandom but I think Duke Aegir has stolen that title, I want to rip his head off bare-handed, holy poo poo do I hate him now.

It’s actually truly astonishing that such a repugnant man could raise a son so good, so pure, so noble in every sense of the word as Ferdie.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flytrap posted:

Oh dear. Chapter 7 spoilers.

The game hadn't made me kill a main character yet but I thiiiink there's no way to avoid killing Ingrid if your Team Edelgard? There certainly weren't any strategies for it, just Mercedes.

Yep, it's plot important even!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it is good we are freed from S ranks and I hope they do not return.

Wtf!!!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The noblest of nobles paralogue is hilarious. “These people shouldn’t be allowed to hang out together”, indeed.

I continue to be impressed by the polish in this game. Support dialogue seems much more hooked into the plot, paralogues and supports even with optionally recruitable characters seem to be tailored to the route, and Shez is a wonderful character for everybody to bounce off.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Still gushing over the amount of polish and love that went into this. Certain characters that have special relationships, even if they don't have any supports with each other, still get unique lines. E.g. I just had a 500 kill streak as Constance in her depressed mood and she does her usual "I won only because the enemy didn't really try" line and to my surprise Ferdinand piped up with "your power is truly unrivaled, Constance, you do not have to berate yourself like this!"

It's cool because they didn't give them any new supports but still remembered they had a history together + I assume Ferdinand's line changes depending on whether it's a day or night map, considering Constance's mood swings. And it shows how much love and care went into the writing of this that they'd go the extra mile for those kinds of interactions.

Likewise the unique lines for certain combinations of paired up characters when you do your special attack, which even change depending on which one initiates the attack and which one follows up on it!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Khizan posted:

I think this would probably be better storywise, but I also think that they're also probably better off using Byleth/Shez/etc just because I think a lot of players would get upset if they were playing a character like Edelgard but didn't get a say in any of her plans. Honestly, I'd probably be a bit irritated myself if you had me playing the faction leader and all I could do as the Emperor was lead the faction down the single set of rails established by the storyline.

I mean yeah, that’s just what a story is. You could argue hiding info from the player that the protagonist knows, is a lazy trick to build drama, but you’re essentially complaining that a video game about Julius Caesar forces you to fight in Gaul and cross the Rubicon

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
'Unified ending DLC' except it's a fourth alternate timeline, this time one where Shez and Byleth collectively get Rhea to spill the beans on TWSITD and subsequently convince Dimitri and Claude to believe Edelgard and work with her to reform Fodlan.

In true 3 houses fashion, you end up bonking a lot of bandits on the head and the final boss is Pallardo working with Duke Aegir and TWSITD are dealt with off-screen in the ending slides.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Omobono posted:

There's a slide with Dudue and Dimitri power bombing Thales from the top of the stepladder while Claude is distracting the referee and gently caress if I can think what Edelgard is doing. Holding Thales down while Hubert is on speakerphone detailing how he outmanoeuvred TWSITD?

"As in all things, this is for Lady Edelgard" Hubert yells, as he throws a folding chair into the ring

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I had Mercie deliver the killing blow.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Bloodly posted:

"Multiple crest holders love sweets to an incredible degree, because holding a crest makes you prefer them."

I'd have thought that was just 'burning a lot of energy'.

Not sure how much energy Linhardt, Constance and Lysithea are burning. Or are you suggesting the best cardio in the three houses universe is casting magic? :hmmyes:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rand Brittain posted:

At the end of the day Edelgard is just impossibly nice for a realistic emperor on a war of aggressive conquest.

To be quite honest, I never got the impression that Edelgard is really in a war of conquest per se.

She's more of a revolutionary than anything else, and in a way the Empire reminds me of revolutionary France. Completely overthrow the old social order that has been shown time and time again to fail (aristocracy, but in 3houses and hopes this is intimately linked to the crest system and faith, which is actually not that different from aristocracy in 18th century Europe) and replace it by something new from scratch. Combine this with trying to eradicate TWSITD from your continent because they're fantasy evil people who have been causing untold suffering on you, personally, on the politics of your country and on many others outside of it.

From her interactions with the Alliance, it seems Edelgard is fully willing to leave the other countries alone as long as a) they do not oppose her goals in internal politics, b) are on board with ejecting the Church and the crest system from politics across the continent and c) helping her hunt TWSITD (and even then that seems to be a "nice to have" rather than an essential for cooperation). So her war isn't really a land grab but rather a war that seeks to spread her revolution. However, it does seem like a necesary evil of sorts to work *within* the system in the short term (by promoting noblemen who betray the Kingdom, promising material gains to her followers, etc.) to actually achieve those goals.

And, taken at face value, Dimitri and Claude could lay down their arms and implement her reforms in their independent countries.

But it's very clear that for the Kingdom, conditions a) and b) are non-starters. b) for obvious reasons: it would tear the Kingdom asunder after Dimitri has spent two years trying to quell rebellions and a pretender. a), I think, would be a non-starter as well, and Edelgard knows it: the Church has too much influence over Faerghus and would without a doubt try to undo her changes to retain control over the Empire.

On top of that, you'd be fully justified in opposing her for several reasons if you didn't know she was the main character of a fire emblem game:

- if you aren't in the know, everything about TWSITD sounds like mad conspiracy nonsense and I think not many would buy into it.
- if you aren't in the know, everything about the Church being evil and having forced the crest system on the continent + the dragon popess reveal at the start of the war (much more prevalent in 3 houses unless it comes up more in other routes than SB in 3 hopes) again sounds like mad conspiracy nonsense
- even if you have your doubts, can you really trust Edelgard to make good on her political ideals?
- even if you think Edelgard can make good on her political ideals, would you be willing to just roll over and submit to the Empire's demands after they have invaded your land and occupy parts of it? Would you not rather, at the very least, eject them from your own lands so you can negotiate as equals instead of as conqueror and potential subject?
- Even if you believe Edelgard is 100% right (factually speaking), you could still oppose her reforms on the basis that you genuinely believe the crest system was divinely ordained (which it kind of literally is, if you believe in the Church of Seiros) or because you benefit from the system or because you think the alternative she is presenting is legit a worse deal than the status quo? ("no crests? how the gently caress are we going to use our super weapons to protect Fodlan, then?? They're the only thing standing between us and Almyra / Dagda/Morfis!" Basically Edelgard's vision only sounds appealing to us because it brings Fodlan more in line with the age of enlightenment and that fits within our Western moral framework of the 21st century)

So in a lot of ways I think Dimitri (and a lot of the others who oppose Edelgard) are good people at heart. Dimitri is kind (whenever he isn't overcome by mental illness), dutiful, diligent, and selfless. He has a lot of virtues, but his main flaw is that he is incapable of thinking outside of the system he was brought up in, who is politically stuck in a very hard place and who probably has a lot of reasonable doubts about the intentions of the self-proclaimed revolutionary who launched a sudden invasion on your land for daring to harbor the clergy whose support is essential for your political structure. That doesn't make him a bad person, which is what makes the conflict so engaging.

And, in turn, you see Edelgard has to rely on quite a lot of bad people to make her own ideals come to fruition (part 1 of SB reads like a conga line of traitors and turncoats who are in this only for self-preservation or to curry favor and need to be bailed out by Edelgard one after another)

EDIT: spoilered some things but anybody who played 3 houses and half of SB will already know these things.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 8, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Catherine and Dimitri kinda sorta vibe…?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, the best ones are games like Alpha Protocol where player choices impact how various levels play out vut the plot beats broadly speaking remain the same, just with different characters slotted into different scenes and the order in which you do the levels impacting dialogue and level design to some extent. Easier to design (nothing is really “skippable” so not a lot of lost work from the dev side) but the choices you *do* get are tactical or personal in nature

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Shamir and Balthus' support line has very strong "straight guy tries to hit on a lesbian and crashes and burns" energy and I'm all for it

Balthus and Edelgard's supports are pretty amusing as well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also once you get that A support, whenever you field Edelgard and Ferdinand and rack up a KO count with the latter, she will constantly reference it in her complement. “Where would the Empire be without its Twin Jewels?”

She fuckin loves it.

No surprise that somebody who comes up with the “black eagle strike force” would love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Child soldiers are a time-honoured war crime in the fire emblem series