Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I'm sure they'll matter more later on but I did appreciate how they got the slitherins out of the way as soon as they could to focus on what really matters, Edelgard and Rhea attempting to ignore how similar they are to each other.

Hellioning posted:

Oh no.

The discourse.

It has followed us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Deer route is actually basically the church route, with Claude asking questions instead of Seteth volunteering information, and like one single nod to Claude secretly being the crown prince of Almyra. The big difference is that you learn a different horrible secret about Rhea depending on route. On the Church route you learn that she's been experimenting on the cardinals of Garreg Mach doing crest shard poo poo, when they all turn into beasts and attack you, while on the Deer route, you learn that the ten heroes were actually Nemesis' cadre of bandits, and the reason she rewrote history to make them champions is because the dragon people were cruel tyrants and humanity saw the genocide of Rhea's people as a good thing.
Well, Rhea never actually says that last bit, she just talks about Nemesis and the Elites killing the Nabateans. Some degree of reading between the lines of what Rhea wasn't saying and what her religion's canon take on Nemesis is ("hey Rhea, who were those 'wicked gods' that Nemesis saved humanity from before he became corrupt and Seiros had to kill him?"), or just relying on WoG that lays it out explicitly is required to get the "Nabatean rulers that humans hated" detail.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 22, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

(chapter 9 spoilers)
lmao okay claude has officially gone full caesar. "Isn't it nice not being restrained by bureaucracy? Anyways I'm just gonna immediately deploy my shiny new army on some of these territories that don't like my new government."
He was already doing that post-VW, just a little more subtle- see the Claude/Balthus ending, where Balthus gets to be his inter-Fodlan CIA troubleshooter killing people in a country he technically has no more right to act in: "Claude frequently sent Balthus into Fódlan on missions to help quell revolts begun by Imperial loyalists." after both Claude and Balthus are now living in Almyra, Claude as King and Balthus as an Almyran military commander and son-in-law to Nader.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Eimi posted:

:allears: Do tell because I don't think I can bring myself to play a non Eagles route. (again)
Female-character agency-removing mind control bullshit, with an additional 'topping' of memory/personality-wiping mentally reducing one of the best written female protagonists/antagonists to a child only able to kneel on the ground, staring at the strong male main character who has saved her. "...Dee?" might be one of my single most hated lines in fiction atm.

It’s real, real bad (IMO some of the worst writing in the whole series), and it stands out all the more with how good the other two routes are.

E: More specially detailed answer above.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 27, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Ingrid's dad is not actually good (except compared to utter monsters like the Bartels).

First of all, he sets up an arranged marriage to house Fraldarius seemingly the instant Ingrid was shown to have a Crest (that it seems to have been a good match is besides the point of the arranged-marriage issue). Once that falls through, he repeatedly tries to marry her off to randos (including the Lethal Lava Land Merchant, who is so bad that Dorothea instantly recognizes him by name as a nasty piece of work) because she's a female with a Crest and he won't put in the work to improve Galatea's land (which various non-AM Ingrid endings show is entirely possible), instead seeming to rely on Ingrid's bride-price to finance Galatea's future. Note that even after the Ingrid paralogue, her dad still will keep trying to get her married despite her best wishes, only seeming to stop when the War breaks out and more important stuff happens. (You could read her non-CF pre-timeskip death quote as her vanishing into marriage: "Returned to her territory after the battle of Garreg Mach, but went missing afterward. She was unable to make the promised meeting." which is a separate quote to what happens on CF, where her links to her family are cut: "Fell on a different battlefield after the battle of Garreg Mach. She was unable to make the promised meeting." but I'll admit that that's fairly tenuous.)

Also, according on one of Ingrid's tea-time lines he used to yell at her for spending time with horses rather than training to be a proper Faerghus' wife (sorry that's just my interpretation). Her name probably wasn't an accident, and it does refer to a Greek story about a misogynist and the statue of a woman he hand-crafted to be his wife because all other women had too many faults like being able to speak or do more than just look pretty. There's also the Abyss documents, which show that Galatea's...problems on this issue go way back to the foundation, as Galatea splintered from Daphnel because the elder of two Daphnel brothers was spurned by Claudia Riegan for the younger and so took half the family stuff and defected to the Kingdom, forming Galatea.

quote:

You were right. It seems he would not hesitate to divide the house. What's more, I hear he's considering taking his half of the territory and joining the Kingdom.

I can't believe he would even consider dragging another region into this, not to mention stirring up trouble over his inheritance, at a time when the Alliance desperately needs to unite. He's clearly out of his mind. Though he bears a Major Crest and you have a Minor Crest, your father was wise in his attempt to declare you his heir.

As it were, I can't help but wonder what your intentions with me are. I am drowning in letters proposing marriage to that...beast. He may share your face, but the resemblance ends there. I refuse to marry such a foul creature. If you don't come to me soon, I am going to you. Don't forget that my father's blessing could be revoked at any moment...

Ingrid's deal seems to show that Fodlan, and the Kingdom especially, is a bad place for Crested women who want more in their life than marriage and then Crest-baby-creation, and her father played his part in that.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 28, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

Also, what did everyone think of the major spoiler reveal that Sothis is trying to take over Byleth’s body for real? And if you kill Jeralt, Byleth gives it up willingly?

Fits. Like, while we interact with sassy, mostly-good ghost-gremlin, the lore has her as a space-dragon colonizer who looks to have done at least one attempted-genocide of the original people of the land (whether the Agarthans had it coming is another thing). While Amensiac-Sothis can grow up with Byleth and the kids into the Sothis who would sacrifice herself, Sothis who instead grows up with violence instead of teaching will head down a similar path. Looks like the Nabatean apple didn't fall as far from the tree as previously assumed.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Arval being an Agarthan who has 'issues' with Sothis and the Nabteans is no twist at all- everyone who watches the opening War of Heroes cutscene can tell that. Arval not being an Agarthan god or anything, but rather a normal Agarthan 'human' from back before even the War of Heroes, who watched the colonization and genocide of his people and wants revenge for that over a millenia later is neat, and the fact they provides a direct counterpoint to Thales' 'leadership', was willing to risk their life as rearguard for their allies (even if they didn't respect Nemesis and co either) and is even somewhat sympathetic makes them a good addition.

Giving the Agarthans more than just Thales' bullshit is good, because I really doubt the conflict between Sothis and the Agarthans was as simple as 'Sothis was as pure as snow, who arrived on the planet entirely to help the inhabitants with no other motives and the Agarthans were just inherently evil and had to be genocided', esp with the Sothis we get in Hopes who shows a side of herself that is a lot less...chaos-gremlin and a lot more violently-controlling. It might be hard to imagine having to fight back against Three Houses Sothis, but resisting Three Hopes Sothis (who seems to have of her memories back) seems entirely reasonable. I do very much wish that Sothis stayed around after you diplo'd Byleth, though.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 4, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

How much does Sothis show up in a playthrough where you fail to recruit Byleth? I assume the overarching byleth plot points are the same across the board where every route has the rear end kicking, the draw-and-sothis-takeover, and the recruitment and sothis is never directly heard from again

Only shows up for one major scene, and like two small scenes.

If you don't recruit Byleth, Jeralt dies protecting Byleth. Sothis grabs the reins, kills one of your NPC allies and peaces out. From there, Sothis guilt-trips Byleth into permanently handing over their body ("Had you not scorned my strength, your father would yet live. There is a way to solve this woe. Just grant me your worldly flesh and vengeance shall be yours.") and from there Sothis-using-Byleth-as-a-suit comes back one last time in Aeliel and fights Shez, ending with Byleth's sword breaking and their body giving out mid-fight, killing them.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 4, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm reaching the end of my first run, I think, and I'm curious--is it safe to sell/trade any facility upgrade materials you no longer have any use for, or am I going to want to hang onto these for some reason? IE, if I've already got all silver upgrades for every facility, can I just trade all my basic building materials (or whatever tier that is) for smithing stones, or will I want them later for a reason I can't predict right now? I think someone mentioned your facility upgrades carry over to a NG+, so I can't think of any use for them.

I saved mine until I unlocked the best value-for-trade-in base upgrade, but otherwise it does seem safe to trade them in for stones. Maaaaaybe there’s a map explore point that wants mats, but I can’t remember it/haven’t seen it.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
I believe there's a blink-and-miss-it single line of dialogue that heavily implies both Hubert and Ferdi are offscreen-killed by Thales and Ludwig. Which is...well, it fits AG's writing I guess.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
My Fetters was basically locked to Edelgard when she was Emperor and not Wyvern Lord. Superspeed Armor running down pegasus knights during the "stop the couriers" bonus missions was fun.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Claude and the Alliance are allied to the Kingdom.

For now, anyways. The look Claude shoots Rhea in the final cutscene of AG does not scream happy funtime cooperation ahead. More “whoops you’ve fallen down some stairs onto a mass of carelessly placed daggers”.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Claude was always like this, it’s just now people can't argue "he was winking when he said he was planning to install himself as supreme ruler so that means he was just joking".

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
VW has Claude install Byleth as his very own god-King of Fodlan only to go back and become King of Almyra. Claude's original plan was to become supreme leader of Fodlan, and that wasn't going to happen via round table discussions. He's a powerhungry prince who believes that he would make a good king, whether of Almyra or Fodlan or both. He was never a supporter of the Alliance's political structure that limits him, he just had to work within it, and he's fairly often shown to just make decisions without caring for what the actual political direction of the alliance is- see his political games that stop the Alliance just siding with the Empire in CF, or his basically-unilateral disbanding of the Alliance to hand it over to the Kingdom in AM.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 23, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Rhea: literally starving the population of Fodlan into obedience for 1000 years.

I guess this lines up with the Leonie Claude support back in Houses, and Rhea’s “ban mundane medicine so the Church has a healthcare monopoly”+”ban the tools of mass literacy to keep peasants illiterate” but wow.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 25, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

#2 is important because while a lot of the Sothis Discourse™ includes stuff like "she did an imperialism" and "maybe the agarthans are justified in hating her", it very rarely mentions the fact that the slithers have nukes, are perfectly willing to use nukes, and hit aillel hard enough with nukes that over a thousand years later it's still a dead, perpetually burning wasteland.

personally, I was always under the impression that the slithers basically destroyed the continent/planet in their attempt to attack and dethrone dragon god, and the reason sothis went to bed for the next couple hundred years was because using space magic to fix an entire continent and make new humans/nabateans was kind of incredibly taxing for her

The Ailel strike was unique in two ways: it bounced off of GM’s force field into Ailel, and no other Javelin strike, which we do see the aftermaths of, comes anywhere close to Ailel’s destruction. It feels more likely that whatever defensive measure GM had on it also exacerbated the aftermath, or Ailel was built on a coal seam or something to keep burning for centuries. If the Slytherins had Ailel level Javelins, you’d think they’d use those ones rather than the comparatively tame Javelins they launch at BylethSothis and Rhea, two targets they would hardly hold back on.

Hopes gives us a good look at a Sothis who seems to have more of her memories, and it sure doesn’t make her come across as a peaceful being who was only ever benevolent and did nothing wrong and would definitely never do a colonialism. Rather the opposite- Hopes Sothis seems a lot more inline with Rhea and her disregard for the autonomy of others. The idea of Houses Sothis being a colonial tyrant felt off with her snarky mind gremlin persona, but Hopes Sothis comes across as a malicious, manipulative tyrant who leaps at the chance to guilt-trip Byleth into identity death so she can wear their body like a suit.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 26, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm not sure if we are dealing with a Sothis with more of her memories, so much as a Sothis who spent 2 years post awakening in the headspace of a murder gremlin who has gone from battlefield to battlefield? I've only completed two routes, one good route one bad route, and bad route Sothis isn't a good person, but she doesn't seem ultra aware of everything, never references Rhea or the other Nabateans, or her past. She still seems to be confused about why she hates Shez/Arval so much - she just knows their energy drives her to want to murder the gently caress out of them.

You could read this as 'the real sothis', or you could read it as Sothis being a lot softer when she wakes up with amnesia and helps some idiot teach school children, rather than literally fights daily battles to the death and is involved in the killing of thousands.

Anyways, the dev interview talk on the war of liberation was just that the nabateans who openly ruled at the time were attacked, that nemesis had followers in the populace, and that it was too big of an event to memory hole. But they also note that about half of Fodlan still sided with the nabateans. If they were all explicitly cruel horrible monster rulers you'd think the numbers would be more schewed.

My personal theory is that, much like how we meet the 'nice' ones in Seteth and Flayn and Indech, it was mostly the rear end in a top hat ones who got rose up against quickly and thoroughly, where as the kinder/more even handed dragons were protected/able to fight back alongside their mortal followers.
In Bad Route AG Sothis refers to Relics by what I have to assume was the titles of the Nabateans who died making them; Areadbhar is the Vigorous and the Aegis Shield is the Steadfast. (not really a spoiler but eh) so she certainly seems to have more memories of what’s going on than Houses Sothis.

Also, half of Fodlan didn’t side with Nabateans; Rhea and co dyed their hair (we knew Rhea did since FEH’s art made it super clear, and the Arval paralogue showed Flayn and Seteth also did) and presented themselves as Saints for a reason. Rhea’s nature is something that gets secretly passed down via Wilhelm, not common knowledge.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 26, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Pulling as many people as possible out of the martial deathcult that is Faerghus is great actually.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Honestly don’t see why they didn’t just put Constance in the eagles, Balthus in the Deer, and Hapi in the Lions by default after the timeskip. Just say they showed up at some point in the last two years and let them be part of their respective houses peanut gallery. It’s not like even houses pretended they weren’t a “Each House gets a new student” dlc. Yuri’s trickier since he was kinda the church guy but there’s no church route this time around, and his supports weren’t all about one house like the others.
With how tied the Lions are to the Church in 3 Hopes, Yuri feels firmly the Azure Gleam Wolf in 3 Hopes (Dimitri, Sylvain and Seteth are all AG-exclusive Supports and Ashe is AG-primary), while Hapi becomes less Lion focused with her unique Edelgard paralogue and her Hubert supports.

Balthus is Deer, to the point of being more there than several actual Deer.
Yuri is Lion just from his Support list
Both Hapi and Constance aren't as set in stone, but feel more Eagle than anything (though admittedly to me most characters, even unrecruitable ones, feel like they should be Eagles)

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 29, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I assume it's just Shez broke out because of either killing the thing actively trapping them in there, or gaining the ability to do so from absorbing whatever ethereal energy arval left behind

That said I have to wonder how "canonical" that is anyways-- we also don't ever get an explanation of why/how Arval suddenly recovers the memory of how to banish everyone to eeby-deeby in the first place, and regardless of how Shez figured it out, it's weird that the act/result of gaining that ability has 0 effect on anything after outside of a couple of in-camp dialogues.

I believe the How is Arval getting their mind hollowed out and turned into a glove for Epimenides to 'wear', assumedly because Shez'd been around BylethSothis for a while while not killing them. Epimenides himself has all his memories as a Agarthan pre-TWSITD higherup who was skilled enough to 1v3 Seteth+Flayn+Seiros, so he knows how to send people to the Shadow Realm a la Solon. Why Epi targets the Lords rather than, I dunno, Byleth (who was right there, EpiShez was just trying to kill them on the same battlefield!) is more of a 'mystery'/plothole.

And yeah, more probably should have been done about it but the game was rushing to a conclusion at that point. Would have been nice if, I dunno, in either of the maps where Thales is part of the last boss Shez could use the shadowrealm bullshit to throw Thales off his game. gently caress, just have Shez go "Epimenides thought you were a bad leader and hated you" and gut him in his confusion.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 31, 2022

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Inu posted:

I finished the Golden Deer route and start a new game+ for Black Eagles and...it's insanely easy with these late game weapons available from the beginning. Event my level 3 units who I didn't have in the last playthrough can slice through bosses if they just have a good weapon equipped.

Does maddening make up for this lack of difficulty? I'm on hard now. Or should I start over with a new game? I'm not looking for anything super challenging, but I feel like I barely have to play the game now to clear maps.

Maddening is clearly balanced for NG+ (level 100+ enemies early on, level 150+ on last map) so yeah that might solve some of it. Though your carried over units will still likely be OP given how they'll have a full playthrough of skills unlocked and while the level and base stats of enemies rise on maddening, the mook commanders don't really get more skills.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm almost done with Deer path, should I go on to Eagles or Lions next

Do Lions now if you're sure you're going to play all three routes, but note that the Lions route gets real bad at the end, so if you maybe are feeling a bit tired with the game I'd recommend just skipping AG and only doing Eagles. Heck, maybe just do two Eagles; they're the route with major changes depending on how you deal with Byleth.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Hapi stands out most on SB, where she gets some unique stuff with Edelgard and Lysithea.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
"Why oh why do people keep attacking us" asks Faerghus from the burning ruins of genocided+colonized Duscur, only a few years after having conquered and stolen a full half of Sreng (implied to be the better half, with their only real port), whose national founding myth involved making off with half of the Empire's land and most of their Relics and then later it's greatest defensive structure, while having also yoinked a Relic and the better part of a 'blessed' bloodline away from the Alliance.

Gee, I just don't know. I guess everyone around Faerghus must just be mindlessly aggressive and the only way Faerghus can secure peace is to keep pushing it's borders out further and further. Now, there are some Alliance lords we might be able to 'persuade' to switch sides against the Alliance and get their accompanying land in the bargain.

-

The Kingdom's claims to 'our weapons are defensive' ring real hollow when they're the nation with the single longest history of violently colonialism, who committed an actual genocide in living memory specifically (by those in power and making the decisions) to steal the land of the genocided group. Maybe 'all those weapons and bloodlines' wouldn't be necessary if Faerghus taught it's populace that the people of foreign nations were actually, you know, people who could be talked to rather than giving kids swords before they learn to write and bringing them up on tales about how all Srengians are violent and bloodthirsty demons.

It can't be overstated that Faerghus shares the "Made a serious attempt at committing genocide to steal clay" category with pre-history Nabateans and The loving Slytherins.

-

E: Someone else covered the dark irony of Faerghus, in it's obsequience to tradition, shielding the very organization that has intentionally been starving them into compliance for centuries.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Dimitri is the last person who gets to complain about others being emotionally exhausting to deal with, lmao.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 24, 2023