Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thread title should be "Shez!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jeritza being the third professor instead of Byleth really just solves a lot of issues.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up we don't get to have him in that role for a full school year.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

doesnt the opening cutscene of three hopes kind of spoil one of the Big Twists* in three houses? this game seems like its very much expecting you to have obsessively played the first

*okay so Flayn and Seteth are about as obvious as can be but they ATTEMPT to hide the fact that they're Old As Balls

In general game really looks to me like it’s expecting you’ve already played 3 Houses beforehand.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its gotta be kinda weird being introduced to the characters through this game and not 3 houses.

Game kinda blows right past getting to know everyone to get right into wartime plot shenanigans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game is definitely leveraging its spinoff vibes and counting on you to bring your knowledge from 3H over to sell the old characters and hoping you'll overlook it as it brushes through everything to get to the new timeskip status quo in only 2 hours.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

When you kick Thales out of the Empire in CB there's some battle/map dialogue where he says "wait, are you...?" to Shez but then brushes it off, which is the closest we get to any of the slithers seeming to recognize Shez. My guess is that Arval is definitely something they made (an attempt at a fake Sothis?) but that their being implanted in Shez is not their doing. Also Shez doesn't have like amnesia or anything and in supports will talk about their past and how they were raised by their mom.

Shez was adopted and didn't know their birth parents. So its very easy to imagine them as escaped Agarthan experiment person.

Kinda the same deal with Byleth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The Eagles characters are great but their route is dominated by Edelgard more than the other paths are by their lords.

BL is pretty heavily the Dimitri route too.

I haven’t finished Deer route but I kinda expected it to be similar with Claude.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m happy for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dimitri going off the rails is why he's fun so the game seemingly skipping that part is making Azure Gleam a pretty low priority route imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it because of the hair?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Half the recruitments are "Surrender if you don't want to die" so it makes sense they don't have large support lists but why even have them join the army at that point?

It's a bit silly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Claude is cool imo. Happy he gets to be scheming this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really mentoring those kids via silently standing there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

It’s like some monkey’s paw-like reversal in all the wrong ways of Azure Moon. ”Oh people didn’t like that Edelgard was portrayed as a one-sided villain who literally turned into a monster at the end in Three Houses? Okay, now she’s a damsel in distress and all the trauma she had is erased so she can have the childhood the Slithers stole from her!” :downs:

Edie was good in Azure Moon frankly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

Also, what did everyone think of the major spoiler reveal that Sothis is trying to take over Byleth’s body for real? And if you kill Jeralt, Byleth gives it up willingly?

I liked what we got of Byleth and Jeralt's relationship in 3 Houses so was happy to see that relationship given some extra emphasis with that detail. Byleth's relationships with Sothis and Jeralt were probably the aspects of their character I most enjoyed so am glad that despite their relative lack of importance that's what this spinoff decided to center in on with their major story scenes.

Even if Sothis kinda gives off a different vibe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it is good we are freed from S ranks and I hope they do not return.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Male Shez has solid VA imo. Dude seems chill.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No matter how you feel about Shez's design I don't think anyone thinks he looks like a background npc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why would I be deploying Shez and Byleth every time?

Sounds wack

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Am I the only one here who likes the Blue Lions? All this dumping on AG is really bumming me out :smith:

Frankly it's just disappointing that Koei and Intsys listened to the fools and trolls that said Dimitri becoming an insane beserker that hallucinates the voices of the dead telling him to brutally murder all his enemies was dumb and bad when actually it was very good and cool.

A Dimitri that doesn't go full Boarman just ain't my guy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nice try but Boarman was good and sympathetic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

lol no he wasn't.

I mean unless you find white male privilege sympathetic.

???

I like that the fact his shortsighted beserker revenge strategy is going to inevitably fail and end in his death is a feature of the plan and not a flaw because Dimitri really wants to die. And I find that whole deal contributes to a compelling and likeable arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know why they listened to the fools and trolls either.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People always bring up how dumb it is that everyone is ok with Dimitri leading the army when it's basically just the case for 2 maps and after the first everyone except Gilbert is like "Man, we gotta ditch Dimitri this is a bad plan".

E: Like yeah sure if it doesn't work for you or whatever and it probably shoulda ended one map earlier. But the way people talk about it makes it seem like a much bigger part of the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like I added, probably shoulda ended one map earlier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also regarding Edelgard specifically, Dimitri has some kind of weird obsession with her. He can kill his own uncle and confront the alien mole people and keep his cool, even after being told to his face that they conspired to murder his family and half his townspeople, but the second he suspects Edelgard maybe was involved he snaps and goes full boar. Even on Azure Gleam we get to see a second of him suppressing the Boar the first time he entertains the thought. It's never resolved past Edelgard telling him to gently caress all the way off when he tries to treat her as a little sister in the secret bonus chapter.

Dimitri's family all got murdered and is very hosed up by that so he values his one remaining family member very highly even if she doesn't know they're secret family so her being involved in his family's death hits harder for him. I guess he has an offscreen Uncle as well (until Hopes) but that dude seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Anyway Dimitri's just a Camus. A man that personally aligns with the protag's morality and seems like a cool dude but due to their duties and obligations opposes the party as the sympathetic enemy general. I think he's a pretty good character of that archetype in GW at least tbh. He and Claude are used as solid foils to each other at times and it works pretty well. One of my favourite things about Hopes is how the relationship between the house leaders is a bigger deal in this game when before it only really got major focus between Edie and Dimitri in AM. They're all cool guys and I like when they're interacting even if it's just them quipping at each other in the middle of a battlefield.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But she's working less closely with the Slithers so it evens out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is why its good Shez can't date anyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's into Rhea though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Genovera posted:

The dialogue in that late chapter really annoyed me because I was hoping that the Edelgard/Dimitri conversation would be different on Edelgard's route. It felt like it was written for Dimitri's route. Him asking her about Anselma, the image of Dimitri helping her stand up, and Edelgard saying "Not that the world outside will be any kinder to me than the one in here" all fit way better for a player coming from his route.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since the Claude/Dimitri one was the same except for the first line, even though they're enemies in one route and allies in the other. But there should be some difference when the war was going well for Edelgard instead of her having just awoken from mind control. And of course it was seemingly written for the male character's route. Ugh

The fact that in AG Edie is conveniently un-amnesiad for this section makes me think it is written with the other routes in mind. With the game needing to put more effort into smoothing things over for AG so this scene can still happen. Same for the other House Leader supports.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven’t played Claude’s stuff but from what’s being discussed it doesn’t sound like ambiguity? He just sounds like a bad guy

He's the good guy and not even all that morally ambiguous in the end. Not anymoreso than Edie at least.

Honestly, I feel like everyone that's like "Wow Claude's such an rear end in a top hat villain this game. What happened to him???" are from people that have just heard about it and not actually played the game. Like, Claude's got grand designs and does some more scheming but he's portrayed pretty much as positively as in the original game and even his shadier poo poo is clearly stuff that he struggles with and that his pals are helping to curb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I don’t particularly care how he’s portrayed because I can just chalk that up to bad writing. I care about what he does. Honestly he would be better if the game just went in on him being bad, having a villainous character that’s not as Cackling as Dimtri and the church isn’t a bad thing.

You don't know what he does though! You said you haven't played his stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think spoiler bars in the something awful forum thread are really going to give you a complete look on the story or characters of Fire Emblem Three Hopes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it is uncool that Claude's plan for change involves dismantling demoncracy and instituting a monarchy with himself as ruler and I also think it is uncool that Edie's plan for change in the continent involves having an empire conquer and subsume neighboring nations. However, I think that ultimately it is good that both routes have these uncool elements because if one of them didn't and it was just the cool guys doing the right thing and creating the change we want to see in the world it would feel hella lame by comparison.

So in the end I think Claude's dismantling of the Alliance is a positive for the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Game is good tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

3H having a golden ending would be bad and I think CF is good so I don’t agree with it being the golden ending.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Recruiting the kids is cowardice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trying to manufacture a scenario where nobody has to die or whatever is a very lame way of looking at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Perhaps it is sold better as a death cult or whatever if people are dying for it and not getting talked over to leaving through a couple of shallow chats.

Like regardless of whichever route you’re playing the ease of getting recruits from other houses kinda sucks and the writing as a whole works better if you’re out there killing those kids because they’re sticking to their beliefs as strongly as you are.