Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a thread for discussing the upcoming Fire Emblem Warriors game coming out June 24, 2022, which appears to be a sort of an alternate universe take on the story of Three Houses with a new idiot mercenary as protagonist.

You can choose to follow the Black Eagles, Blue Lions or Golden Deer for three unique story paths. All the students will be playable, including the Ashen Wolves, and a lot of the other supporting cast too.

The demo is out now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91wvxXAEXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I take it this thread is Chez Shez?

Thank you for suggesting a MUCH better name

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

The demo ends just before the first clash, so we can't be sure. Dimitri's forces are going to fight some of Edelgard's group from what the dialogue suggests.

In Scarlet Blaze before Edelgard's coup, Arundel tells his subordinates to warn Cornelia, so hearing of his failure probably escalated her plans. It's not immediately obvious if you haven't played Dimitri's route first, because he uses Cornelia's real name, which as far as I know is only revealed there. And gender, apparently the Slither playing her is actually male.

I found that last detail very interesting!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Terper posted:

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Cancer loving sucks, man.

Oh god that's so awful. He was so young.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

Bignatz is real

well now I gotta change the title again

farewell, Chez Shez

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

The demo has done the impossible and made me miss White Clouds.

I feel it’s particularly egregious for the Deer and kind of annoying for the Eagles that everyone just comes together post-skip. The Deer in particular have this problem, and I think the game is very much counting on me smoothing this over with my 3 Houses character perceptions.

Oh I definitely felt that. The classes really are not as tightly knit as they were in 3H proper, so it feels a little strange when they suddenly reunite. It's obviously a conceit you just have to accept for the game to work, but it's certainly rough.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Amppelix posted:

how could you do this to captain Berling

gone but never forgotten

She adopted Shez into her mercenary troop and thus her family, and this is how she is repaid

Long live Shez Berling

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's pretty clear that Dimitri actually is reforming the Kingdom, though. It just comes with a lot of recriminations from the Western lords that he's constantly fighting back against. They talk quite a lot about reform in AG, like adapting so that they aren't so reliant on crests and relics for their military prowess. It's not the same as Edelgard's 'cut the rot out' approach but it's not nothing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have finished all three routes and now offer my judgments:

GW is my favourite for giving Claude a route firmly led by his goals and ambitions that explores his flaws as much as his virtues. One thing I struggled with in 3H is that Claude is so good at keeping secrets that even the player never finds out who he really is until the end scroll of the game. In this, although he doesn't reveal his royal lineage to everyone, it's confronted that he keeps secrets from his allies, and he is forced to be more open about things like his Randolph scheme. You miss out a bit on his endless well of curiosity for the mysteries of Fodlan and Garreg Mach, but that's because without Byleth and with the academy closed he's just not as familiar with them. I really enjoyed what this game did for his character, and how it showed him constantly working to find a path forward for the alliance.

SB is my second favourite. It has my favourite cast, I just love the Eagles, and in addition it's the only route with playable Manuela. I really enjoyed being able to see what an Edelgard without the Slitherers would do, but since ultimately that is mostly the same as 3H with fewer atrocities, it got a little boring. I think it also needs 3H the most to make sense, since you don't really get any context on why Edelgard is opposed to the Church so there's less emotional heft.

AG is my third favourite -- NOT my least favourite! Just third! I like seeing a more stable and in control Dimitri, and the changed context of the Kingdom allows for the Faerghus childhood friends in particular to be explored from different angles, which I thought was great. As an Edelgard fan, I didn't like that you weren't really fighting her for a lot of it. I think that's boring, the thing I liked about 3H was the lords having these incredibly emotionally charged conflicts! But zombie Edelgard is just a nothing. I get that you kinda can't let Dimitri and Edelgard talk anything out because their inability to do so is a part of the conflict, but this was the most disappointing way of doing it.

My personal favourite character from this game, in terms of getting better character development: Petra. We got a lot more from her about renegotiating her and Brigid's place in the power struggles of Fodlan, and I really enjoyed that.

Favourite minor named NPCs: Fenja and Menja are like the pallet swap pegasus knight trios of FE4 and I love them for it. Can't believe they turn up in two routes, PLUS their lore is explained in a random support. Incredible.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I mean fundamentally it's pointless to argue about what could have happened because at that point we're basically debating our headcanons and fanfictions.

Which, I mean, if you want to do that that's ok. But It's not exactly riveting debate.

congratulations you are now the source of the title of a second fire emblem thread

(i think)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People keep talking about Three Houses not having a golden ending, but it absolutely does???

Crimson Flower, obviously. Edelgard is emperor of Fódlan, Claude is king of Almyra, the Church is gone, all of this is ideal. You don't have to kill anyone but Rhea, Dimitri, Dedue, Rodrigue, Acheron or Cornelia if you don't want to, and most of those made their own beds. You even get to choose between letting Dimitri die in impotent fury or peacefully in Dedue's arms, whichever you prefer, and the latter is far kinder than his fate on other routes.. Plus you can kill anyone who's not a Black Eagle if you think you need them out of the picture, including Claude, who will survive any other route. You can literally pick and choose your preferred outcome, short of Rhea and Dimitri's survival, but they are incompatible with Edelgard surviving, so they need to go.

I actually don't know if Claude would be king of Almyra in those circumstances. I find it hard to believe he would win the battle for succession if he failed to succeed in his ambitions in Fodlan. Unless that's confirmed somewhere I missed.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

In any case, the obvious golden route is Golden Wildfire. Like, duh. It's in the name!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like Three Hopes a lot better for making most of Faerghus impossible to recruit, and a lot of the Eagles in return too. It feels truer that those people wouldn't defect.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Some of the recruits feel bad. Dorothea in Azure Gleam is the forerunner for me, but Ashe in SB/GW is hot on her heels. Kinda tragic the only way Ashe can be “happy” is to kill the guy that took him and his family off the streets when he found them stealing from him in a starving desperation.

Everything to do with Lonato in AG felt a lot less weightier than 3 Houses.

I love how bad they feel. It's super depressing and tragic and exactly what I wanted.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny when in SB and GW when you recruit people from the Alliance/Empire in the first bit of the game and then they become your allies but they're still like... people you defeated who defected to your side. Linhardt has a funny line about this in GW where you ask if he wants to go back to being an Empire noble and he's like "no way! I hated that!"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Petra fighting in the war at all is already a stretch to believe, given that her death would be a dramatic setback for the stability of Brigid. They justify it in game enough that I'm ok with it, but that means I don't think it's any more of a stretch that she might then decide to fight against the Empire. And I mean, that line from Edelgard is definitely ominous. Like, I love her but she's still an imperial arch-villain a lot of the time! In fact, that's why I love her! She says ominous evil poo poo like drowning Fodlan in blood, and it rules.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

But that's a pragmatic decision! She even talks about it in her support with Monica -- she was willing to let Monica die if she thought it would help further her aims, but she decided that it wouldn't. I love that about her!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sudden Javelin posted:

wait a minute...these goalposts aren't where I left them...!

was just responding to "all their supports are one house", which they're not. in any case I like the wolves as free agents with some specific geographical ties. without it we wouldn't get balthus/edelgard

Yeah, in hopes I like em not being tied to a house, they're just scattered across Fodlan making life work for themselves before you pick them up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was disappointed Hopes didn't give us the Balthus/Manuela support they both deserve, but it did give us Manuela shooting her shot with Jeralt, so it's all good in my books.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Omobono posted:

Hard disagree here, neither of them deserves a mutually destructive trainwreck of a relationship that would enable their worst vices

Perhaps I should say the support we deserve, because I so badly want to see it happen. You're right it would be a trainwreck, but what a trainwreck!!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's incredibly cruel how brutally Manuela turns down female Shez. "Oh, if only you were a man, then you'd be perfect for me!" Manuela please... I'm crying...

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Bandits also really love the opera

who says bandits can't appreciate a little culture every now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay, but you must surely realize by kicking in the door and declaring a character an absolute dick who made you feel like an rear end in a top hat in the rear end in a top hat route in the most controversial Fire Emblem Game, you sort of asked for this conversation? Like. Bruh. If you didn’t want this, you should have not posted your spicy take. It’s like whining that the drink was too alcoholic when you ordered a pint of pure bottom shelf vodka.

Cmon chill out. This isn't debate club. I do not wish to return to the dark days of 2019 discourse in this thread.