Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ingrid on her Pegasus absolutely slays and was probably my favorite character to play with on the lions, especially with the addition of ice to her attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So as far as recruitable characters from 3 Houses the only ones who we don’t know anything about playability-wise are Manuela, Hanneman, Alois and Cyril? The first three appear in the prologue I have to imagine they’ll pop back up at some point. I also bet Cyril shows up in the Deer story at some point give he’s one of the only Almyran characters in 3H and has a connection to House Goneril.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DLC should be Dad-loadable content and just be Alois and every dad who isn’t already playable (ala Rodrigue). Honestly the lions route is kinda light on dads so far aside from him and Gilbert and a brief cameo from Margrave Gautier. Still gotta see Lonato and Lord Galatea and maybe the elder Martriz, plus I hope we’ll get a bit of a glimpse into Dedue’s life pre-Tragedy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It would be kind of funny if the plot is that Byleth started doing time shenanigans to make everyone happy together and went crazy as they slowly realized that actually their presence actively made things worse (Dimitri goes full-boar crazy when he thinks they’re dead, Edelgard’s strategies get worse when she’s lovestruck, Claude’s laid-back vibe gets overtaken by dumb church bullshit) and has vowed to keep going though timelines until they find one where they are not a stick in the machine like some sort of magic Terminator who has apparently stumbled upon Shez as their John Conner

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I see the chain of events that lead to Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire, but what exactly was the catalyst for Dimitri's stuff? Rufus going full despot and straight up admitting he did all the war crimes obviously didn't happen in Three Houses, or at least the latter didn't. It's not even a cascade effect of the Edelgard stuff because Cornelia is there after all of the non-Fhirdiad fighting has been handled off-screen and she still doesn't know what happened in Enbarr.

Rufus made a play for the throne, assisted by Cornelia. He always had a claim to it as the older brother of the previous king but he publicly made the accusation that the House of Fraldarius was going to use Dimitri as a puppet to suit their own ends once he ascended to the throne, and that Rufus was the true king and would be a better one since he’s already been regent. Basically a coup, which is different from Azure Moon because there Cornelia killed Rufus herself and framed Dimitri.

Edit: I found further proof for my “Byleth makes everything worse” theory: Sylvain is no longer a hoe!

https://twitter.com/buschtrottel/status/1535296180401348609?s=21&t=iFAF9qiUuazjb3h-5QubgA

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 11, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Terper posted:

Billy Kametz, Ferdinand's voice actor, has sadly passed away due to his cancer. Three Hopes is the last game he was known to work on, and his role as Ferdie is unquestionably a huge part of what made the character so loveable.

Cancer loving sucks, man.

This is such a huge bummer, he’s so young, it’s tragic. He’s excellent as Ferdie, that sort of character could easily be so grating that you hate them but he brings such an earnestness to it that sets him apart from Lorentz and Sylvain who also have their nobility as large parts of their character but express it in very different ways.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

This statement makes no sense to me because when you pick Wei in Dynasty Warriors you don't ever get to choose or play as Shu or Wu characters, it's all Wei. If anything it would be extremely weird for a Warriors game to allow the entire cast to be playable together.

One of the key things in 3 Houses is being able to recruit characters to your house, it’s almost certainly gonna be in here in some aspect given how well they’re adapting the other systems of FE:3H

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Eimi posted:

It's going around. Now we need to find out who else had their height change. :tinfoil:

You gotta know that some weird fan on Twitter has your back:

https://twitter.com/flamingarc/status/1535285645748445186?s=21&t=McPi275I2gi9hYWz2w5DOg

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

More proof this game is made by huge FE:3H fans: they’re really leaning into the teatime

https://twitter.com/serenesforest/status/1536639346400534533?s=21&t=ko7czss05wrnWFySs__q7Q

Now you get to go on romantic horse rides to picturesque locations where you have picnics. Almost feels like spite and I love it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m starting in on the Black Eagles and I love Seteth talking to Edelgard after her proposal to use the church to overthrow her uncle like she’s just proposed a particularly risky Independent Study and if she has been lying to go gently caress around at the mall with her creepy goth friend she won’t be able to walk at graduation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

Blue lions is the dating sim crew dropped right into a srpg.

Dimitri = strong, good man with a dark and troubled past. But a gentle female touch can fix him
Felix = Sasuke Uchiha. Don’t cut your hand on the edge. Jerk but he’s got a heart of gold
Sylvain = flirty fuckboy who ends up settling down
Dedue = Dedue
Ashe = Soft boii with a petty criminal past and knight-and-princess fantasy
Ingrid = straightest warrior woman in Fodlan
Mercedes = Ara ara big sis
Annette = you know what’s up with her, you like her

There’s a reason why the black eagles are favourites for queer people and blue lions are favourites for straight women

I think that makes the Golden Deer a LA high school drama:

Claude: rich boy with mysterious past set to take his father’s place
Hilda: rich mean girl with no ambition and no desire to get any
Marianne: rich girl with mental health issues and a dark side with no friends
Lorentz: rich mean boy rival who everyone hates
Lysithea: rich girl with a tragic disease
Raphael: poor dumb ripped orphan athlete with a heart of gold who does everything for his younger sister who he takes care of
Ignatz: poor boy whose father wants him to be a big businessman while all he wants to do is make things
Leonie: highly ambitious poor girl who has to do everything just to be on the same tier as the rich kids
Byleth: probably too young to be in charge of teenagers teacher who has inappropriate relationship with students

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Annette is the protagonist of her own slice-of-life thing. Like, just imagine her running late for class with toast in her mouth: it’s a perfect fit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nintendo games are always 11pm Central (the correct time zone), big third party releases are sometimes that (like Triangle Strategy) and sometimes 2am Central (like SMTV)

Anything smaller and it’s a complete crapshoot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hargrimm posted:

It's midnight of your local time zone, not synchronized worldwide

In the US it’s midnight EST for everyone

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Picking up right where the demo left off with my Lions! Seeing Hapi and Petra and recruiting them right away was a nice surprise.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think it’s kinda funny that all of the students speak with much more strategic intelligence in this game (because there’s not a tactical mastermind like Byleth around to hog all the critical thinking) despite the fact that they were only in Strategy School for like 3 weeks before it was shut down

Mang Tomas posted:

Would I be totally confused if I just start this game first before the base game since it being an alternate timeline story? I think I'm going to like this game's action more than the strategic base game.

Go for it, honestly. If you get confused there are places to ask questions but if this is more your speed I’d just start here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sydin posted:

:same: on BL, loving RIP Petra and Dorothea I did not expect opposing faction deaths to come so soon.

I’m furious I had to kill Dorothea so soon, I know she’d never betray Edie but what is she doing near the front lines? Almost makes me want to go do the Eagles line now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m furious I had to kill Dorothea so soon, I know she’d never betray Edie but what is she doing near the front lines? Almost makes me want to go do the Eagles line now.

Update: Dorothea returned and was in fact turned away from the Empire by the power of Ingrid’s mighty spear. I think there might be a metaphor in there but it’s too late to figure it out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Another fun dichotomy between Three Houses and Three Hopes: recruiting. In Three Houses you recruit people because you’re such a cool and good teacher who everyone loves and in Three Hopes they’re basically just prisoners of war. When I recruited Bernadetta over to the Lions she was like “uh what the gently caress have I done why am I here am I gonna have to fight my old friends now”

It’s weird that we just shove high ranking enemy soldiers into our force with no thought of them ever betraying us

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

To be honest Ashe doesn’t get it a whole lot better sticking around with the Lions since you kill his adopted dad anyways

Augus posted:

game owns

poor Monica, in one game she dies offscreen, and in the other game there’s no romance system so she can’t marry edelgard. girl never catches a break

There’s no actual marriage but this game feels way more gay than 3 Houses. Dedue giving Dimitri his lance back when you rescue him from Cornelia is definitely a boyfriend moment. As a whole the Lions story really feels like a response to the reaction to Azure Moon. More integration of Duscur, Dimitri isn’t completely inconsolable for half the thing, him and Dedue are even closer and Felix gets the sort of agency he probably should have always had as a counterpoint to Dimitri.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think the supports in this game really miss that five year time skip. There’s much less character growth happening and a lot of the rough edges to the characters that you got to see in the Academy portion of Three Houses are already gone by the time this game starts properly. Everyone is already their better selves, and there’s remarkably little conflict.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Much fan art passes through my Twitter but this is the only one I felt an unstoppable compulsion to share

I am sorry

https://twitter.com/tagasaing/status/1540353849873285121?s=21&t=Y6t7qLAHTvM6PINgiBq5mQ

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I gotta say, I would not in a million years have guessed that Shez and Sylvain’s support would end up touching on Sylvain attempting to invent firearms and the pluses/minuses of a centralized military force

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also Felix and Mercedes’ support is the strongest evidence for the writers of this game being fandom people. Felix gets a kitty!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Inexplicable Support Content, part 2: (Annette/Shez) Why does noted not-thinker Shez know so much about literary critical theory?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lord Koth posted:

On Azur Gleam, there's been some... interesting implications behind the recruitment one person in particular. Specifically, Petra. There's a very ugly implication that she's only fighting for the Empire because she personally likes her classmates, and she's been promised/threatened things regarding Brigid. She flat out says in camp lines that she gives exactly zero shits about fighting Empire troops, she just doesn't want to kill her classmates. There's also story scenes after the first chapter about happenings in the Alliance and Empire. The Empire one is notable in that it changes if you recruit her, because Hubert comes back and reports that Petra was captured rather than killed, and Edelgard gives an extremely uncomfortable "We'll have to... reconsider... our stance on Brigid" line.

On the other hand, Hapi was only part of the Empire army because someone (probably Constance) dragged her there after the battle of Garreg Mach - she's super unenthusiastic in her opening battle line, and her camp dialogue mentions how it'd be really awkward to run into "someone", but other than that she's basically perfectly fine switching sides. Though this does bring up the somewhat amusing issue of Hubert dragging said incredibly low morale and unenthusiastic leader along on the super important mission for some reason.

I think it’s funny that as part 2 starts up in AG Hapi flat out says that the only reason she’s stuck around is Shez. Who hasn’t done something stupid for a crush like being take as a prisoner in a war and switching sides?

Also (big AG spoilers for the end of part 1) i sort of assumed that the core nobles of the empire would be kill or be killed but according to someone in my camp after Ferdie’s lovely evil dad took power Hubert and Ferdie apparently went missing, it would be hella funny if one or both made their way to my camp to help exact their revenge for turning Edie into an Attack on Titan

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The next game set in Fodlan needs to be an Inn simulator starring Raphael and his family after the war is over

edit: literally just Bear and Breakfast but with our Large Son

edit2: I will say I didn’t expect my favorite pairing for Shez to be Hapi but the two of them fit together very well.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 26, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Blaziken386 posted:

protip for the thread: if you get the sidequest reward that's [x] number of free blacksmith forges, use those immediately, because they go away next chapter! :v:

also goddamn the smithing stone economy is stingy. ive got 100k gold in my pocket but because i can't just buy smithing stones, I don't get to upgrade any of my good weapons

also also i really wish that "invert mag/str" rings existed. I want Lysithea to be a swordsmaster now that I've stabbed Catherine to death and looted her corpse for her shiny sword

You can sell weapons for smithing stones at the Supply Master, I’ve done that a couple times as my weapon cache fills up and it gives you a pretty hefty pile of rocks, especially if you have the facility upgrades bumping up the number of stones you get for trading

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lord Koth posted:

There IS some eyerolling stuff with Claude though. Again, in the first story interlude in AG there's a cut to what's going on in the Alliance. As imagined, it's going badly. The Empire's already taken most of the borderland with several houses either defecting or declaring neutrality and the class are discussing options. They are extremely concerned about mustering enough troops, given it's basically down to Riegan and Goneril, and someone asks about asking talking to the Kingdom for troops. Claude brings up that the Kingdom is embattled too and might not have troops to spare (fair), but also that he doesn't know what Dimitri's thoughts are and therefore doesn't trust him or is willing to ask. Like, seriously Claude, that's what messengers to open a dialogue are for. You don't have to immediately ask for assistance, but just starting to talk to them to get a feel for their positions probably isn't going to hurt you or your plans. Like, the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend, but just staring at them suspiciously while you're both fighting the same dangerous opponent isn't some clever strategy. If you have to maintain suspicion in-game, just have some throwaway line about messengers turning up killed or whatever.

tldr: It just feels like a continuation of the issues with 3 Houses, where the BL and GD routes are always forced to fight each other despite it being incredibly silly.

I advise you to keep playing, the game hears you and will address this soon enough

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bruceski posted:

Yeah but do you need to leave spaces open for her? "If you select a surveying spot where Anna is currently located" could mean another option on that spot like Extra Quests do, or it could mean claiming the rewards from that spot.

It functions like the extra quests, if she’s on one with a reward it doesn’t lock you out of the reward or anything

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SolarFire2 posted:

Man, going through all the effort of A-Ranking someone and all I get is a letter? Booo!

you don’t need a reward to spend time with all your friends, their happiness is it’s own reward

(also you can give one of them your Platonic Friendship Whistle and an achievement when you get enough A supports)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 28, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Eimi posted:

:stare: you only get one of those per playthrough.

i can whistle at my friends whenever I want, no game or concept like “math” can stop me

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Eimi posted:

Also Shez and Hapi have a great support line and honestly I could see that being one of my fav Hapi ships.

I gave her my Whistle of Platonic Friendship the second I could because it both made perfect sense and also her attack ability slaps

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

My biggest complaints when comparing this game and Age of Calamity:

The giant monsters/bosses in this game are massively disappointing compared to the big bosses in HW. Fighting a Hynox or a Lynel for the first time was a massive undertaking in AoC and felt appropriately epic but the first monster you fight here is both too early and wayyyyyyyy too easy, and to be honest I still have yet to meet an enemy that really feels appropriately challenging, aside from the optional Byleth fight in an early mission (which I still managed to beat without anyone dying because I didn’t know it was optional or that it would be that much of a beast). I think the combination of showing the attack areas and the armor breaking trivializes them. in fact I’ve had more instances where my problem getting a monster kill was that I accidentally killed the final general while fighting it than I have monsters where I had to actually fight.

Also it feels like there are significantly fewer maps. I’m sure the source material for AoC made it much easier to make maps since they could take environments straight from BotW but in that game pretty much every story mission had a unique map, which added up very quickly since there were 20 story missions, but here it seems like even the end of chapter fights and paralogues might have repeated maps.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Point in Three Hopes’ favor: I never stop being shocked at how fast things load. every single time I finish adjusting my team before a battle and hit start and jump right in I’m like “uh how’d that happen so quickly”

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure AoC's much more detailed and intensive stages are part of why it runs like rear end and this game doesn't

Also I appreciate that the monsters here are pretty quick and easy because I still have flashbacks to the Imprisoned in vanilla Hyrule Warriors

Yeah I imagine a lot of the assets they used were probably not meant to be used that much (especially the enemies) and there’s only so much you can optimize before you’re like “well there’s nothing more I can do”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shez’s B support with Rodrigue is wonderful. i want the DLC to be a giant snowball fight!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Counterpoint: I’m pretty sure Constance and Lorenz’s first support is the beginning of a romantic comedy that ends with them falling in love and getting married so we at least need that one to have a proper ending

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

How can you play FE and not like RNG

When bad RNG makes me have a bad growth whatever I can deal

When bad RNG makes me meet Hubert in the clock tower after the ball I simply cannot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Honestly I don't mind the lack of romance. What I mind is the more attractive to me designs and characters in terms of pairing my self insert with. Granted as a gay guy who doesn't like overly pretty boys I'm either screwed or forced to play female.

Have you seen Yuri and Sylvain’s support yet? You might want to seek that one out for… reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Currently on GW so no, haven't seen it yet.

https://twitter.com/edwardsabavo/status/1541215841466949632?s=21&t=gart8tumky-8Fo2s3glFvQ