Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Dolash posted:

My guess, not having looked at any of the datamining stuff that's out there, is that this time the three different routes are before the midgame and they'll come together for a combined route for the latter half. As such, the first half might be a speed run of many of the events of the war from Tree Houses, the same way the school stuff got condensed down to two battles.

Might explain how they'll handle "recruitment", if they're just divvied up for the first half then everyone's available for the second half. I haven't played through all three routes offered in the demo yet, but the impression I've got so far is that they may not be mutually exclusive - that is, aside from Shed joining a different side, they might all be happening simultaneously.

The demo ends just before the first clash, so we can't be sure. Dimitri's forces are going to fight some of Edelgard's group from what the dialogue suggests.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I see the chain of events that lead to Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire, but what exactly was the catalyst for Dimitri's stuff? Rufus going full despot and straight up admitting he did all the war crimes obviously didn't happen in Three Houses, or at least the latter didn't. It's not even a cascade effect of the Edelgard stuff because Cornelia is there after all of the non-Fhirdiad fighting has been handled off-screen and she still doesn't know what happened in Enbarr.

In Scarlet Blaze before Edelgard's coup, Arundel tells his subordinates to warn Cornelia, so hearing of his failure probably escalated her plans. It's not immediately obvious if you haven't played Dimitri's route first, because he uses Cornelia's real name, which as far as I know is only revealed there. And gender, apparently the Slither playing her is actually male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I also found my only complaint about this game on the Black Eagle route: Bernie and Hubert only get a C support. This is completely unacceptable. Felix and Annette also only go up to B.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

is this even the golden route if they cant get married???

Having finally managed to unite Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea, Byleth realizes that their favorite pair of students shows no sign of getting married. Sighing, they activiate the Divine Pulse once again. "Okay, maybe if I send them off to muck the stables for the entire year?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It didn't seem like she'd lost control over the situation in Azure Gleam. I certainly got the impression that Cornelia had made Dimitri's uncle go more paranoid than before, to the point where he decided he had to kill Dimitri right now.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I don't think you can do that at all right now, or can you buy the higher level seals in the demo? I think a few of them are available as achievements rewards though, so it might be theoretically possible and some insane person has already done it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't help it I have a compulsion to click black boxes! :negative:

At least it only confirmed something I already suspected rather than telling me something I had no idea of.

If it helps, comparing Rhea to Ganondorf isn't really fair. She's more like the king of Hyrule, if the king of Hyrule had enough skeletons in his closet to fill up half the castle because he'd been fighting Ganondorf for so long that he made some very questionable decisions.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's absolutely doable with enough grinding.

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

Spoilers are the ones we can't confirm through the demo because their data has been mostly scrubbed from it. I cross-referenced Shez with other notable characters who learn dark magic to figure out which spells they were.

It's actually a rather good reason spell list by offensive mage standards and a decent faith spell list by support mage standards. It is also very plain to see that Shez's spell list [/spoiler]very heavily contrasts Byleth's spell list, not only by having a better and more interesting Reason spell list over Byleth's in exchange for a worse Faith list, but also in how his preference for dark magic contrasts Byleth's preference for light magic as their main offensive magic[/spoiler].

Oh, that's nice. I was disappointed that Shez seemed to learn regular magic, since Arval clearly is somehow related to the Agartheans and every character involved with them learns dark magic, so glad to know this actually still holds true. Wonder if Monica will learn anything like that as well, although she was only kidnapped so Kronya could replace her a year or so down the line / so that her father would hand over his relic, so I figure that doesn't count.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
They manage to do it TWICE in the C support. This sort of thing should give you a game over. Arval had their work cut out for them here.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkIO-S6k0RY

I’m used to them dancing around the subject up until the point you S-rank them so was kinda a surprise to see a character just say they’re bi lol

Shamir also pretty much outright tells Balthus she's into women.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ashe and Yuri finally get to talk at least.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played 3 houses when it launched and did all the routes but church. Didn't bother with the DLC so I have no idea who this lady I recruited with a thousand yard stare is and this other lady who doesn't seem to give a poo poo about literally anything but cool.

Doing Eagles as it's what I started with in Three Houses, I already like this more than Byleth blank slate staring at people and them liking him Extra Hard.

No, I think you've summed them up quite well.

Thousand yard stare lady: Former noblewoman of House Nuvelle, as she will tell you in great detail if you give her the slightest chance. Half crazy magic scientist, half depressed - literally. In Three Houses, her magic inventions included rainbow-colored tea and boots that taste like licorice to facilitate easier boot licking and they don't get any worse in Three Hopes. Should be raining Bolting down from a pegasus, but that class isn't in the game.

Doesn't give a poo poo about literally anything: Fourth Dark Magic user in Three Houses, you probably know what that means. Summons monsters when she sighs. Unfortunately nobody has yet realized how valuable those weapon and material drops are and that she could become rich, but she does learn to lead an army of monsters in some of her endings.

As for the other DLC characters, you will also find an evil crimeboss, now with a new outfit that screams "Seriously, guys, I'm a villain.", and a half-naked guy who likes brawling, alcohol and MILFs.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Honestly I don't mind the lack of romance. What I mind is the more attractive to me designs and characters in terms of pairing my self insert with. Granted as a gay guy who doesn't like overly pretty boys I'm either screwed or forced to play female.

If we are wishing for something of that sort, might as well wish for more options there.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How does NG+ treat class levels if you change Shez's gender? Do the points in Warmaster just get translated to Falcon Knight?

I switched from FShez to MShez and the points in Gremory are just not visible, but he can equip the ability she got from it, so pretty much the same as in Three Houses. I'm slightly regretting my choice because FShez sounds way cooler, but I'm also doing Blue Lions, so apparently that feeling won't go away any time soon.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Eimi posted:

Hell in Houses alone Ingrid is a one woman terror.

In the first Battle of the Eagle and the Lion on Golden Deer Maddening, NPC Ingrid murdered half the Empire troops for me until she finally went down to their combined forces.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Blaziken386 posted:

Does anyone know if the Arval plot twist chapters are identical between routes or not? Because if they are identical [spoiler]then i'll be slightly disappointed. I was hoping for like. Anything else?? Maybe more of a Sothis presence because I recruited Byleth?? The big "twist" being "HAHA, SURPRISE, I WAS A SLITHERER ALL ALONG, AND I WANT TO KILL SOTHIS" is like. You know that from chapter one. Thats incredibly obvious. Thats not a twist????? At the very least I was hoping that Arval would've been revealed to be Zahras. But no theyre just another Agarthan who went for the AI-backup form of immortality instead of whatever the gently caress Solon and Tomas (and Kronya, actually, we never got to kill her this time around) are doing. And what is the "cycle of the world" they mentioned??

I was really hoping the cycle of the world would be Byleth doing literal time travel, but it looks like this isn't the case.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mysticblade posted:

Shez is great because you can keep being such a poo poo to Lorenz

According to their B support Shez has actually been telling people around camp what a great guy Lorenz is, but nobody believes them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
At least on the Empire side, Hubert canonically can do a villain teleport, so he probably taught the rest of the class.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Augus posted:

A taste as bitter as the blackest coffee…

more bitter than

They don't stop saying it. It's seared into my brain.

Hubert will massacre anybody with that defeat quote extra hard.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
On the other hand, Bernie's and Marianne's support is sweet and perfect and everything I'd hoped for.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, when are you supposed to be able to recruit Byleth (and Jeralt? is he recruitable?)? I'm well into part two at this point and haven't done it; in fact, I killed Jeralt somehow, and I don't think I ever saw an option to recruit either of them, I feel like I might have missed something.

Yeah, you messed up there. If you don't kill Jeralt, him and Byleth will join after the mission. There should have been a popup before the battle talking about how there'll be important decisions? That's what it meant.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

galagazombie posted:

In hindsight “Thunderstrike Cassandra” choosing “Thunderbolt Catherine” as her witness protection identity might have been a bad idea.

"It's a stroke of genius! People will hear "Thunderbolt Catherine" and think "Hey, this sounds a lot like Thunderstrike Cassandra, I wonder if they're the same person!". And then they'll go "Nah, couldn't be, too obvious." Even with me having a crest of Charon and wielding Thunderbrand, nobody's going to believe them!"

She checked this idea with Rhea (agreed, but didn't bother listening because she was busy planning the next attack on the Western Church), Shamir (assumed she was drunk) and Alois (said her true identity would flash on people like lightning).

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Counterpoint: Crest-Bearer Margrave Gautier does not look anything close to in his prime.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought it was kind of funny that the Hilda/Holst/Balthus supports were so intertwined already that they seemingly just couldn't come up with a way to do an actual "just Hilda and Balthus" support

e: which also reminds me "Why the hell is there no Yuri and Bernie support" :psyduck:

e2: I need to take Yuri into one of the fights where you can kill Count Varley and see if he says anything

Caspar's casting as seemingly inexplicably even more stupid in all of the supports is one of my few complaints about the characterization this time around, he's a bit better about it in the main plot dialogues especially in non-SB routes, presumably because they can't completely idiot-ball him when he's supposed to be killing you but if I have to hear him asking "what was I supposed to be doing again" on the map one more time :argh:

Yuri notices Bernie if they fight in the Azure Gleam map where he's recruited. It's pretty great.

"Huh, maybe this time I'll actually be able to kill you."
"Wait, whaaaaaaaaat?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You should, clearing the game once lets you buy the better stuff.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I think the best part about Azure Gleam is how Dimitri volunteers the information that he's an idiot.

Cornelia: "Edelgard knows the truth about Duscur!"
Dimitri: "Only a fool would simply believe her. Yet I don't think she's lying.

And then goes to proving it shortly after:

Edelgard: "Thales is the one behind the tragedy, that evil guy over there who is currently attacking me with evil magic stuff. Care to do something about this or do I have to be the cooler lord in your route despite only getting one loving scene to do so?" (slightly paraphrased)
Dimitri, later: "I'm not entirely sure if I should believe her story."

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Kanos posted:

Claude's actions in Hopes are a little morally ambiguous but he's still fundamentally a good person on his route.

One of the major turning plot points of GW is when Claude seriously takes the first step down the villain road by using Randolph's army, at that point allied with Leicester, as human shields/bait to ensure that his forces are able to wipe out Catherine and the Knights of Seiros with few to no Leicester casualties. Everyone is horrified by this and takes Claude to task about it, and his response is "you know what, you're right, that was an rear end in a top hat move, I'm going to start involving everyone else in my plans and opening up more because I might be getting a little too ends-justify-the-means in my desire to reach my goals."

I really wish that was the case, because it would have made Claude a significantly more interesting character, but unfortunately the game makes it very clear after that he really thought he could Randolph and keep the Leicester army safe. He still made the decision that prioritized his army's safety over that of the imperial army, but even after the fact he's delusing himself about how cold that scheme was. One of the weaker points of Claude's route is that he doesn't really face any backlash from his army about this decision, and that nobody calls him out on it either.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Kanos posted:

Huh? Judith specifically calls him out on it, and other characters are in disbelief about what happened and aren't really sure if Claude actually did it intentionally or not. It's specifically the catalyst for them demanding that he let them in on the planning process.

They aren't really sure, but Claude says he didn't plan it. Unless he's putting on an act, but that would quickly go towards making him unredeemable.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The prologue is fixed on some super easy difficulty, so definitely try regular missions before switching to hard. But yes, normal is pretty easy in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, you unlock that right after Chapter 4 I think.