Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started the Demo and got to the first encampment and the game told me I couldn’t use amiibo unless I was playing the full game so I’m gonna buy it BUT I also never played the DLC side story in Three Houses so I’m going to do that first. Since I guess those characters will be in this game? I might also play through the blue lions story since I never did that and never got any of the cool DLC characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was finally able to start playing this game since I finished the Ashen Wolves DLC (and Xenoblade Chronicles 3) and I love how they shoved half the plot of Three Houses into the Prologue of this game. It seems like a good choice to make them all adults pretty much immediately.

Game seems really easy so far on Normal. I’ve only played the Prologue, though. Does it get harder? It seems like I can shred officers’ HP without even having to use a weak point strike.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cloacamazing! posted:

The prologue is fixed on some super easy difficulty, so definitely try regular missions before switching to hard. But yes, normal is pretty easy in general.

That makes sense. Normal is fine so far. I haven’t finished chapter 4 yet, or whichever one is right after the prologue. Are you able to replay missions after clearing chapters? I am on the fence about replaying missions to get S ranks, I like rotating my characters but I also don’t want to burn out from grinding too much. It would be easier just to come back later and steamroll the levels.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had to Google who Hapi was and I played the DLC in Three Houses like a month ago lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I needed a break from Splatoon so I picked this back up. I am a weirdo and having to change game cards is a big obstacle for me, so I hadn’t played in a while. I immediately S-ranked the last mission I beat so now I am feeling good about moving forward. Maybe I’ll actually beat it and help my bff Edelgard conquer the continent.

Edit: there was just a small patch, v1.0.2. Not sure what it does yet (probably only a tiny update)

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 7, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hargrimm posted:

Patch notes here. Mostly just crash fixes, not that I ever ran into any issues on that front.

BUT, it does appear that in the "other issues", the finally fixed the bug where Apex <Weapon> skills would decrease crit damage instead of increasing. Now they properly give a whopping 1.5x multiplier to crits which is pretty massive if you've got a build that crits with any regularity.

This game is going on sale for Black Friday so they probably wanted to fix stuff in preparation for more people buying it. I played for a couple hours last night and beat chapter 4, game is good and fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just did Dorothea & Manuela’s Paralogue and it was :discourse: just absolutely goofy in the best way.

I accidentally killed one fanatic with Shez and then like ten angry thieves showed up lol good punishment

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just watched Shez & Ferdinand’s C support conversation and Ferdinand said, “As I have told you on multiple occasions, I am Ferdinand von Aegir.” And now I can’t stop laughing.

On a serious note, should I be using the adjunct system? Seems like a waste to take characters off of the battle field. I suppose it could be helpful in the big story missions where you have 8 characters? I will need to go back and re-read those tutorials, because I never really figured out how to use it correctly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Judge Tesla posted:

Someone never sent Agitha to her death against Ganon in Hyrule Warriors and it shows.

Lookit this scrub who didn’t drop 100 beetles on him

I’ll try out adjuncts again on the next big mission I do.

Edit: adjunct, adjutant, whatever. My brain was filling it in because I’ve never heard the word Adjutant before

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Scarlet Blaze the gayest route? Because Monica is gay af (in a good way obv)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve reached the point in the game where I am steamrolling every map and getting S-ranks on the first try, which is satisfying after struggling early on. Well, every map except the one where you can recruit Byleth because that one requires that you kill a shitload of mooks early on to meet the quota before the time-sensitive mission that ends the battle. This is in Scarlet Blaze, I’m not sure how it goes in the other paths but lol I got a C for kills because I had to rush the boss.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lol went back to S rank the battle I mentioned before and did it the wrong way and hoo boy I understand now why this leads to the bad ending.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do Paralogues expire? I forgot to do a couple in ch 14 and I beat that chapter and the very sudden next chapter before realizing I forgot about them. I really don’t want to go back and redo all that again, though!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

They do, and also there are some supports that are gated by progression and if you progress too far, you just can't do them that playthrough.

Apparently the game lets you know if a paralogue is going to expire.

There’s a blacked out mission in my records for chapter 14 (Scarlet Blaze), is that for if you kill Byleth? I was reading that it’s like an alternate story path with unique fights and a unique paralogue. Is that true?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

Correct, that's the alternate path. It has a unique paralogue however, you can only get it on NG+, so for your first run, you really want the path you are on. There are some story changes, but on the path you are on you get a bonus mission that has a very good award. Aymr. On the good path you get a relic while on the bad you just get that extra paralogue. Storywise SB has the biggest changes from the good vs bad plot but as they are actual spoilers, I won't give them away.

Do you get anything for doing the “bad” path on the other routes? Is it the same paralogue?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Scarlet Blaze, it was pretty fun and had a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It definitely seems like they learned from their mistakes with Three Houses and told a coherent story this time that spent 90% of the time post-time jump. I appreciated that you could recruit some enemy generals but you still had to kill several of them. Three Houses got kinda boring because you could just recruit every student and greatly lower the stakes of the latter part of the game. That mechanic also kinda hosed up the storytelling, since the only characters that were guaranteed to stick with one of the house leaders was their bestie. Definitely a huge improvement.

I started a NG+ on hard and chose Azure Gleam because I never did Blue Lions in Three Houses. Mostly because I hate Dimitri! He sucks! And he isn’t much better here! But like, I get it. Is Claude the only one of the three who wasn’t horribly traumatized as a child? Also Felix is such an rear end in a top hat wtf

Are the secret characters that require Renown to unlock any good? Is it worth unlocking them? I have enough I just wasn’t sure how much I cared. All three are kinda lovely characters anyway!

Also, the enemies are already really high level and I’m not even that far into the game. I’m on ch 6 and the enemies are level 30+ already. Is that because I’m on Hard or is it NG+? Either way, I’ve spent tons of gold keeping my new recruits’ levels up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m using highly powerful weapons so the only issue with being low level is taking a ton of damage from the high-level enemies.

Also lol at the story beat after killing Lonato where they say, “Man, we should take Arianrhod, it will be lightly guarded.” Then it just cuts straight to the next scene of them saying, “Wow taking Arianrhod was so easy.” Talk about a story shortcut!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The first Fire Emblem Warriors is on sale, how is it compared to this game? I didn’t hear much praise for it. I probably won’t get it but I’m curious.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eimi posted:

Yeah don't go into it expecting to have a good story, it does not. However I think the combat in FEW is much much better than in 3Hopes, it's Hope's biggest weakness since once you upgrade your weapons durability enough and get enough skills the entire game just breaks. So if what you enjoy is the grindy progression and combat, than FEW will be a great time. If what you enjoy is the story, skip it.

I figured it was similar to the first Hyrule Warriors, which I put like 250 hours into and did all of the side content. That game had a stupid story which was fun. I like 3 Hopes for the story and the combat and grind. Maybe if I find a shiny $50 under a rock I’ll use it on that game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dimitri got captured and tbh I kinda want to let the evil lady execute him at this point, he sucks and is a lovely ruler. The peasants are probably right to revolt against their stupid monarchy. This is exactly why I never did Blue Lions in Three Houses lol I know I missed out on a huge amount of story but I kinda don’t care.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

“You missed your opportunity to strengthen this bond…”

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought that Azure Gleam was going to have a boring story but I just finished Part I and things just got super crazy and now I am actually excited to see what happens.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sydin posted:

Yeah AG is the best route until one plot point drops and immediately 180's the whole thing into the worst route.

I assume that’s later on, then.

Why does it give you the choice of not bringing the Alliance characters into your team? That seems weird. Is there any benefit to not putting them in your party?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gold weapons are heroes relics, yeah? And silver ones are sacred weapons? You can equip silver weapons on someone without the crest with no consequence, but not gold ones? Is that right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sydin posted:

Gold weapons should only be equipped on units who have a crest, yes. If the user's crest matches the relic they also get some kind of bonus from the weapon, usually a unique weapon art. Silver weapons can be equipped by anybody with no consequence. However if they're used by somebody with a matching crest the user once again gets bonuses from it.

As an FYI gold weapons - that is hero relics - are generally pretty bad in terms of Mt until you gain the ability to "unlock" their potential through the tactics academy. Until then you're probably better off just boosting normal weapons up and using them instead.

I’m on NG+ so I was able to unlock them all right away on my current run, made the early game a slaughterhouse lol

Edit: I’m getting the first FEW with the DLC, gently caress it I’ll play it eventually.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rodrigue won’t stop asking to go on expeditions with Lady Shez and it’s creepy af

Edit: I’m at the point where Shez is my strongest unit at lv61 and everyone else is like 45-51 and the enemies are lv 81 :laugh:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 17, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For the S-rank battler achievement, doing the same Paralogue in two different runs doesn’t count for two, right? Like the Ashen Wolves one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went back and S-Ranked it and it did count as a separate mission toward the S-Rank Battler achievement. Crazy!

Edit: I beat Azure Gleam, it was fine. I guess Part II’s plot never played out in an interesting way, which was stupid. They sort of implied that maybe Thales turned Edelgard into a giant monster at the end of part I and then it was never mentioned again. Some of the characters just disappeared and were never heard from again. Definitely a disappointment.

It might have been gayer than Scarlet Blaze, Sylvain/Yuri and Catherine/Shamir were very gay.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 21, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lol the game just gave me a random secret character Gatekeeper and it’s amazing. This game is so good, I got FE Engage but I just started Golden Wildfire and I don’t wanna stop playing this one yet lol

Edit: is Judith playable later on?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This game is pretty complete as it is, I don’t think it really needed DLC.

Age of Calamity got DLC but it was mostly silly stuff like the motorcycle weapon or being able to play as a Guardian. It’s also a very different kind of game, with characters having multiple unique weapons instead of the class system and all that stuff.

Edit: Cyril sucks and I’m glad he was left out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Azure Gleam definitely ended in a stupid way but Scarlet Blaze seemed like it was done. Taking back Garreg Mach and ending the Central Church meant that Edelgard had no more reason to fight with the Kingdom.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

Initial results from this new campaign where I'm putting almost everyone towards their secret bonus class are mixed. Felix and Sylvain are both thriving as mages, and Mercedes is doing well as an archer with a magic bow.

Rodrigue and Annette, though, are turning out mediocre. They're both natively magic characters, but I'm putting them into physical classes, and the result so far is that they're both gaining okay-ish amounts of both STR and MAG without doing well at either.

Time will tell whether cavalier Flayn and brigand Hapi will follow suit.

Annette with her hero axe Crusher is incredible because it uses her magic stat to calculate damage. Best Wyvern Rider.

What are secret bonus classes?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I actually already leveled up some of those characters in those classes, or took them down those routes. Interesting!

Some make perfect sense like training the horsey bois in magic. Also Felix since he’s a Mortal Savant with decent magic.

Edit: I think there’s a relic bow with Mercedes’ crest, I guess it makes sense that she would be a bow knight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

"She is utterly exhausting."

- Dimitri on Bernadetta, saying what everyone feels but few ever have the courage to say.

You shut your mouth about my waifu

Also, I just got the tutorial about innate abilities so clearly I hadn’t mastered any secret bonus classes yet. Leonie has Sol now, though! Which is awesome!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Why won’t the game give me an A rank rusty knuckles or whatever so I can get that one achievement for repairing dragon claws?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finished Golden Wildfire, maybe the most complete story? It’s the only one where you kill Rhea and know that she is actually dead which was kind of surprising. Didn’t address the Slitherers, though. None of them really address the end of the war, either, which sucks!

I tried the secret paralogue and I was able to limp my way to victory but couldn’t get an S rank because of damage. Shez was lv 88 but then was 90 by the end. I had a Knight Captain’s Sword +40 and yet was barely chipping away at the generals. I’ll try again some other time. I have tons of achievements left but some of them are stupid, like having to do 100 expeditions and presumably get 100 perfect convos? Beating a general while at maximum advantage? Killing x commanders while at a disadvantage? Killing x enemies with a battalion that resists them? Seems like a lot of nonsense.

I will do a Scarlet Blaze maddening playthrough with the alternate path at some point, for now I am moving on to FE Engage.