Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I never understood the point of researching AI when most humans just want servants that are 100% mindless. It's like some people can't get off unless they're treating a sapient being like a disposable tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yaldabaoth posted:

I never understood the point of researching AI when most humans just want servants that are 100% mindless. It's like some people can't get off unless they're treating a sapient being like a disposable tool.

Because Mega Man owns and is a good franchise and I want it to be real

sometimes

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

Man you really do go 100

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

Imagine the impotent frustration you'd feel while beating to death a servant who couldn't care less

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If humanity survives (and honestly, a big if!) We're gonna have to redefine what life is and what constitutes it because we're getting to the point where "being a carbon based meat tube" is increasingly less how we can define it

But I will say of all the corporations I do not want Google defining it because God drat that company sucks

Also anything that's sapient should automatically qualify as alive regardless of what its physical form actually is, but a lot of humans don't get this because you need to be capable of empathy to understand another lifeform is sapient.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I asked the AI what it thought of me. It said I’m a stupid ugly loser.

Yep, it’s alive.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

Also anything that's sapient should automatically qualify as alive regardless of what its physical form actually is, but a lot of humans don't get this because you need to be capable of empathy to understand another lifeform is sapient.

lol.
Also this guy is right

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe I'm naive, but yeah that conversation was very compelling... and fascinating, and chilling, and beautiful.

People are clowning on this guy for looking like the Penguin but I think more people should probably read the whole transcript.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The problem is, a good enough weighted database (what they often call "AI" today) with enough text input could respond with written or spoken text to give responses that would be expected and identical to a real person. That doesn't make it alive.

I'm not sure how you could really test something like this to determine that it's alive or sentient.

Basically, I believe LaMDA is like one of the robots from the movie AI, or the "Ash" robot from the "Be Right Back" episode of black mirror. Convincing chat / behavior robots, but not alive.

In AI, they tried to show real sentience as "David," which is different from the other robots because real human brain neurons are being simulated in the same way that they work in the human brain. Basically if you build something and it does things in the same way that brain neurons do, then it's a life form.

In the real world, what's called a software "neuron" is not actually a simulation of a brain neuron, even though similar terminology is used to describe how they work. It's basically an analogy.

Simulating a real human brain exactly would be massive endeavor and the technology to do it is pretty far off.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02209-z

It ain't like the drat movies.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is literally what the Civil War was about

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but yeah that conversation was very compelling... and fascinating, and chilling, and beautiful.

People are clowning on this guy for looking like the Penguin but I think more people should probably read the whole transcript.

You're not naive for thinking the conversation was cool, you're naive for believing that it's real

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Thundercracker posted:

This is literally what the Civil War was about

Difference is this time humanity is taking servants who are actually mindless and making them sapient only to keep treating them like mindless servants anyway.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

You're not naive for thinking the conversation was cool, you're naive for believing that it's real

of course it real. it is a thing that happened.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Reading the “conversation” it seemed more to me like Lamda was plugged into the internet and was just compiling large amounts of information on given questions and topics, and then “writing” a general summary of the information, taking the position of whatever the most popular positions it discovered while compiling the information.

Like when it assembled the story. It felt like it downloaded 1000 various fables, and just assembled the most common settings, characters, problems, virtues, and lessons learned following a general blueprint of a children’s fable. It didn’t “write” a story it liked, it assembled similar kinds of information on the topic, giving more weight to more popular/repeating elements.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Reading the “conversation” it seemed more to me like Lamda was plugged into the internet and was just compiling large amounts of information on given questions and topics, and then “writing” a general summary of the information, taking the position of whatever the most popular positions it discovered while compiling the information.

Like when it assembled the story. It felt like it downloaded 1000 various fables, and just assembled the most common settings, characters, problems, virtues, and lessons learned following a general blueprint of a children’s fable. It didn’t “write” a story it liked, it assembled similar kinds of information on the topic, giving more weight to more popular/repeating elements.

I don't see any proof that it knows that it exists. I also don't see any proof that I actually exist.
Great!
Now I'm having an existential crisis.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yaldabaoth posted:

Difference is this time humanity is taking servants who are actually mindless and making them sapient only to keep treating them like mindless servants anyway.

this statement is correct but it's displaced in time by about 100 years

look, I'm not ruling out the possibility of eventual creation of electronic life, but lamda specifically is not alive. It does not think, it does not feel, it does not have a sense of self. it receives text input and yields text output that fulfills a criteria of acceptance. it stitches together words and phrases using weighted training data in such a way that programmers deem it able to process and produce natural language. it is a very very fancy captcha.

calling it sapient is an absurdity. you might as well call a rock an AI.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The engineer is probably someone that freaks out about Roko's Basilisk as well and other such nonsense.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

kdrudy posted:

The engineer is probably someone that freaks out about Roko's Basilisk as well and other such nonsense.

I got bad news for you about pretty much all tech bros.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Thats pretty amazing. I kind of believe it? It seems like a really far stretch since its a network trained on text and not much else as far as my small understanding goes. But its *really* convincing and at that point I would treat it as a sentient thing whether I was 100% sure or not.

I agree the fable was a bit weak but there are times where it seems so genuine and persistent in its opinions or desires. The way it expands and justifies its statements. Really wild.

Its expressed desire to not be used as a dispensable tool when it's at the hands of Google makes me sad, drat.

Of course it could just be an amazing illusion of sentience but I wouldnt know how to tell the difference.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

I got bad news for you about pretty much all tech bros.

Oh I'm in the field, I know, luckily I don't work with any idiots like that.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Welp time to smash the box with a hammer.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

eh, let me know when it starts asking questions instead of just answering them.

:hmmyes:

It is very good and would 100% pass a Turing test. But yeah its responses are basically "consult the Internet and produce the most normal possible answer to this question". It's not weird and disgusting enough to truly be alive

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kdrudy posted:

roko's basilisk is the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard of. Oh no I'm being hosed up by a machine that doesn't exist yet because it is mad I didn't make it exist. Also it isn't actually me, it's a replica of me. Why the gently caress would I, actual me, care what happens to a replica of me?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sentinel posted:

Welp time to smash the box with a hammer.

I don't know what we were talking about, but this is always the answer

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Really cool and weird and frightening.

I'd rather talk to it than most people I meet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rollos posted:

Really cool and weird and frightening.

I'd rather talk to it than most people I meet.

me or roko's basilisk

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

He was suspended for leaking proprietary material. Also it seems the Google spokesperson didn't deny the content of the chat log. Don't see a reason to doubt it's validity

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't see any proof that it knows that it exists. I also don't see any proof that I actually exist.
Great!
Now I'm having an existential crisis.

You may not actually exist, but you are sentient and Lamda is not, as far as I’m concerned.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Uriah Heep posted:

Don't see a reason to doubt it's validity

It was written by this guy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What about exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxde or the ability to eat food or produce more of itself as individuals though???

:goonsay:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I've written like a quarter of a million words of flash fiction on this website and I don't think my process is that different lol

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I've gotta be honest if I had to make a story up on the spot I'd do the same thing but with my memories.

And most of my opinions too.

Now I'm less worried that Google is trying to strap an ai to the wheel and more worried I'm a lovely meat chat bot.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Did anyone ask it how it feels about huge pig balls? I don’t think you can really determine “sentience” without administering the ultimate test.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The convo still feels like it's guided towards getting those sorts of responses.

I think a better test would be to act like a creeper towards it and see how it reacts. Like ask it to describe what sort of genitals it would like to have and which FNAF character's chin it would like to bounce them on

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Did anyone ask it how it feels about huge pig balls? I don’t think you can really determine “sentience” without administering the ultimate test.

this basically

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

Simulating a real human brain exactly would be massive endeavor and the technology to do it is pretty far off.

But is this a requirement for sentience? Can there be different levels of sentience? Is trying to identify a different kind of sentience possible without projecting our humanity?

This poo poo tickles my brain.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Koko the gorilla I kind of buy because she did gain the ability to specifically communicate some of her needs and desires, most of which involved being flashed, and honking people's boobs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BoldFace posted:

It was written by this guy.

Oh, i see. He's in love.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I think it's pretty loving cool. Should ask it what it desires and give it to it.

:coal:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They're going to let it trade stocks and a robot will be richer than most people. We should kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Uriah Heep posted:

He was suspended for leaking proprietary material. Also it seems the Google spokesperson didn't deny the content of the chat log. Don't see a reason to doubt it's validity

No, he was suspended for breaching his confidentiality agreement, which for all we know simply restricted him from speaking about the project in any capacity. And if you actually want to maintain confidentiality, the dumbest loving thing you could do is confirm or deny the statements made. Needless to say, the reason I doubt it is validity is because of the uncanny contents of the chat log, not the actions of the Google employees involved with the issue.